Brunson v Curry

Moderators: Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal

Djoker
Rookie
And1: 991

Re: Brunson v Curry 

Post#81 » by Djoker » Sun May 5, 2024 3:41 am

LukaTheGOAT wrote:
Djoker wrote:Despite claims to the contrary, Lebron doesn't have a very clear edge in postseason box score since 2015.

2015-2024 Playoff Numbers
Steph: 27.5/5.6/5.9 on 61.1 %TS (+5.0 rTS) with 3.3 tov in 36.7 mpg (128 games)
Lebron: 29.0/9.7/8.1 on 59.1 %TS (+3.0 rTS) with 3.8 to in 39.9 mpg (129 games)

It amounts to a very small offensive edge for Lebron but the edge is built upon Lebron playing more minutes. His proponents will say "See he contributes more." but him playing more minutes is a result of playing more close games. Steph's teams blew out so many opposing teams that he would often sit large chunks of, if not entire, fourth quarters.

2015-2024 Playoff Numbers - Per 36 Minutes
Steph: 27.0/5.5/5.8 on 61.1 %TS (+5.0 rTS) with 3.2 tov (128 games)
Lebron: 26.2/8.8/7.3 on 59.1 %TS (+3.0 rTS) with 3.4 tov (129 games)

When we normalize minutes, the box scores are neck and neck. Curry is scoring at a bit higher rate with higher efficiency while Lebron has a playmaking edge albeit with slightly higher turnovers.

First off, we were talking about Curry's prime from 15-22, so not sure about adding the additional years.

By the box-score? By most box-score composites they are not that close, Lebron has an advantage by multiple standard deviations.

From 15-22 in the PS (6 PS), Lebron's box-metrics look like the following:

PER-29.1

WS/48-.243 (15.3 OWS)

BPM-10.4 (7.7 OBPM)

From 15-22 Steph in the PS,

PER-23.9

WS/48-.204 (12.6 WS)

BPM-7.5 (6.8 OBPM)

Those aggregate stats are strongly affected by defensive rebounds, steals and blocks which have little to do with offensive impact.

And besides, maybe it's just me but I've never taken a liking to those aggregates. What's the point of using an aggregate stat with somewhat arbitrary coefficients when you can just look at the basic box scores they are based on? Anyways I liked your post because you're making some good data-driven points even if I disagree.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,945

Post#82 » by OhayoKD » Sun May 5, 2024 4:14 am

Throwawaytheone wrote:I've read the posts and the arguments fall hilariously flat.

Did you though?

Throwawaytheone wrote:What a truly bizzare thread. Are people here trying to argue 2022-2024 Curry is as good as prime 2015-2019 Curry?
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,187

Post#83 » by Laimbeer » Wed May 8, 2024 6:45 pm

spree8 wrote:
DorianRo wrote:If you put Brunosn on the Warriors the past 10 years, dude would have mopped up. I mean hes playing with the scrub ass Knicks who just got 2nd seed and in the 2nd round of the playoffs now and just a beat team with two HOFers.

'Nuff said

“Scrub ass Knicks” lol, stop trolling
That supporting cast is pretty weak when compared to other playoff teams. I mean, who is their second best player?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
spree8
RealGM
And1: 6,392

Post#84 » by spree8 » Wed May 8, 2024 6:54 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
spree8 wrote:
DorianRo wrote:If you put Brunosn on the Warriors the past 10 years, dude would have mopped up. I mean hes playing with the scrub ass Knicks who just got 2nd seed and in the 2nd round of the playoffs now and just a beat team with two HOFers.

'Nuff said

That supporting cast is pretty weak when compared to other playoff teams. I mean, who is their second best player?

Ok? So are you calling them scrubs too or what? Anyone who wants to be taken seriously would put some respect on what the supporting cast is doing and how hard they’re playing.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,637

Post#85 » by EmpireFalls » Wed May 8, 2024 7:33 pm

DorianRo wrote:
spree8 wrote:
DorianRo wrote:If you put Brunosn on the Warriors the past 10 years, dude would have mopped up. I mean hes playing with the scrub ass Knicks who just got 2nd seed and in the 2nd round of the playoffs now and just a beat team with two HOFers. :lol:

'Nuff said

Its mostly scrubs and role players... Come on.. Hardly the Heatles

Nah you’re right. You could actually make the argument that the 2022 Warriors supporting cast is better than the 2024 Knicks one.

DDV is better than ‘22 Klay but not by a lot, he’s pretty inconsistent. Poole is a better scorer and secondary creator than anyone on the Knicks. OG and Wiggins at least 22 Wiggins is a wash. Draymond is the best defender on either team. Hart does hustle his ass off tbf but he’s not exactly some super elite player. Randle is hurt so is Robinson.

2024 Brunson in Steph’s place might not win the title on the 22 Warriors, although he has a good chance, but on the 2015, 2017, or 2018 Warriors? Hell yeah he would lol.
spree8
RealGM

Post#86 » by spree8 » Wed May 8, 2024 8:01 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:
DorianRo wrote:
spree8 wrote:

Nah you’re right. You could actually make the argument that the 2022 Warriors supporting cast is better than the 2024 Knicks one.

DDV is better than ‘22 Klay but not by a lot, he’s pretty inconsistent. Poole is a better scorer and secondary creator than anyone on the Knicks. OG and Wiggins at least 22 Wiggins is a wash. Draymond is the best defender on either team. Hart does hustle his ass off tbf but he’s not exactly some super elite player. Randle is hurt so is Robinson.

2024 Brunson in Steph’s place might not win the title on the 22 Warriors, although he has a good chance, but on the 2015, 2017, or 2018 Warriors? Hell yeah he would lol.

No he’s not right lol. Scrubs?

EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,637

Post#87 » by EmpireFalls » Wed May 8, 2024 8:09 pm

spree8 wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:
DorianRo wrote:

The Knicks supporting cast around Brunson is pretty comfortably the worst supporting cast around contender remaining this postseason.

I’d easily take Minnesota, Denver, OKC, Dallas, Boston, and likely even Indy’s supporting cast over the Knicks.

You’re just taking offense to the word scrub and having a bit of a meltdown, but the core argument he’s making is very much correct.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,187

Post#88 » by Laimbeer » Wed May 8, 2024 8:12 pm

spree8 wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:
spree8 wrote:

Ok? So are you calling them scrubs too or what? Anyone who wants to be taken seriously would put some respect on what the supporting cast is doing and how hard they’re playing.

Yeah, scrub isn't fair. But if you're advocating for Brunson and pointed out he had a weaker supporting cast than any star in the playoffs you wouldn't be wrong. I suppose OG is the second best player.
spree8
RealGM

Post#89 » by spree8 » Wed May 8, 2024 8:51 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:
spree8 wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:Nah you’re right. You could actually make the argument that the 2022 Warriors supporting cast is better than the 2024 Knicks one.

The Knicks supporting cast around Brunson is pretty comfortably the worst supporting cast around contender remaining this postseason.

I’d easily take Minnesota, Denver, OKC, Dallas, Boston, and likely even Indy’s supporting cast over the Knicks.

You’re just taking offense to the word scrub and having a bit of a meltdown, but the core argument he’s making is very much correct.

Meltdown? wtf :lol: yea the word scrub is offensive… what planet do you live on?
spree8
RealGM

Post#90 » by spree8 » Wed May 8, 2024 8:52 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
spree8 wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:That supporting cast is pretty weak when compared to other playoff teams. I mean, who is their second best player?

Yeah, scrub isn't fair. But if you're advocating for Brunson and pointed out he had a weaker supporting cast than any star in the playoffs you wouldn't be wrong. I suppose OG is the second best player.

Yea and that’s fair to say
DorianRo
Senior
And1: 619

Post#91 » by DorianRo » Thu May 9, 2024 12:06 am

spree8 wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:
DorianRo wrote:

Compared to all the other teams left in the playoffs? These are scrubs on the Knicks. LOL. This is why Brunson is far and away MVP. Up 1-0 in the 2nd round of the playoffs, and beating Philly with THIS Squad? Imagine if Brunson actually had some legit talent around him. People would already be talking about top 10 all time status for Brunson
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,945

Post#92 » by OhayoKD » Thu May 9, 2024 5:31 am

Laimbeer wrote:
spree8 wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:That supporting cast is pretty weak when compared to other playoff teams. I mean, who is their second best player?

I think you're underrating OG and Brunson's cast here. They're not that good on offense, but it's excellent defensive support for a not very good defender.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL

Return to Player Comparisons