Peak Nash
92%

Total votes: 63

Matt15
Assistant Coach
And1: 501

Tyrese Haliburton vs Peak Steve Nash 

Post#1 » by Matt15 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:05 am

Current Haliburton or Peak Nash, who is the better player?
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,860

Re: Tyrese Haliburton vs Peak Steve Nash 

Post#2 » by MyUniBroDavis » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:17 am

So technically speaking if you got the impact data or whatever which people hype nash up by, Hali probably looks like an outlier right now, his offensive EPM is 9.4 which is the highest in the database iirc. Jokic right now is at +8.4, and if you take out haliburton from the dataset it’s his best offensive year thus far in this regard both in his raw value and how he compared to others (just by this metric). It’s not RAPM but you can probably be sure that his offensive RAPM is probably #1 in the league right now over Jokic. Gap between them is higher than the gap between Jokic and 2nd place the years he’s been first (2022, 2021 tied for first)

It’s nash easily though lmfao just wanted to say that because idk it feels like stuff impact metrics only matter up to 2018 for people on here

Also to be clear Jokic clears on offense as does a few other people right now probably
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
LA Bird
Analyst
And1: 3,148

Post#3 » by LA Bird » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:02 pm

MyUniBroDavis wrote:So technically speaking if you got the impact data or whatever which people hype nash up by, Hali probably looks like an outlier right now, his offensive EPM is 9.4 which is the highest in the database iirc. Jokic right now is at +8.4, and if you take out haliburton from the dataset it’s his best offensive year thus far in this regard both in his raw value and how he compared to others (just by this metric). It’s not RAPM but you can probably be sure that his offensive RAPM is probably #1 in the league right now over Jokic. Gap between them is higher than the gap between Jokic and 2nd place the years he’s been first (2022, 2021 tied for first)

It’s nash easily though lmfao just wanted to say that because idk it feels like stuff impact metrics only matter up to 2018 for people on here

EPM has a strong box component and Nash gets crushed on that front against the other top offensive players. He is still ahead of Haliburton in terms of raw plus minus,

Relative ORtg
05 Nash: +14.2 On, -3.2 Off, +17.4 Net
24 Hali*: +13.2 On, +2.6 Off, +10.6 Net
* Excluding the IST Finals which officially don't count. With it included, Haliburton's on-court and net both go down by more than 1

I think it's still too early in the season for this discussion but Haliburton does look very good as of right now.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,860

Post#4 » by MyUniBroDavis » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:37 pm

LA Bird wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:So technically speaking if you got the impact data or whatever which people hype nash up by, Hali probably looks like an outlier right now, his offensive EPM is 9.4 which is the highest in the database iirc. Jokic right now is at +8.4, and if you take out haliburton from the dataset it’s his best offensive year thus far in this regard both in his raw value and how he compared to others (just by this metric). It’s not RAPM but you can probably be sure that his offensive RAPM is probably #1 in the league right now over Jokic. Gap between them is higher than the gap between Jokic and 2nd place the years he’s been first (2022, 2021 tied for first)

EPM has a strong box component and Nash gets crushed on that front against the other top offensive players. He is still ahead of Haliburton in terms of raw plus minus,

Relative ORtg
05 Nash: +14.2 On, -3.2 Off, +17.4 Net
24 Hali*: +13.2 On, +2.6 Off, +10.6 Net
* Excluding the IST Finals which officially don't count. With it included, Haliburton's on-court and net both go down by more than 1

I think it's still too early in the season for this discussion but Haliburton does look very good as of right now.

I wasn’t directly comparing it to Nash’s because it only goes to 2014 iirc, and it also says his defense has been horrendous

(Also I don’t really like EPM LEBRON just isn’t out yet XD and shotcharts is taken down even though it would be too early for raw rapm to really mean much rn)

Just eyeballing the on off stuff (off bbref and not nba.com Tbf I know it’s not as accurate just easier in this quick post lol) nashs def looks more impressive even off the offensive end, and as I said I take nash here pretty easily, I just think that if we do get rapm or something (which we probably will) he might look insane on that end in a similar way that nash did in his good years, not that that necessarily equates to him being that caliber of offensive player in the league

Valid point tho
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,193

Post#5 » by Colbinii » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:11 pm

Nash, not close enough where I would entertain the comparison but Haliburton has been playing at an extremely high level this season.

The Lakers game showed a few things, notably how a playoff defensive setting is going to play Haliburton, and where he needs to improve. It also shows Indiana is an extremely flawed team, with a lack of size, mediocre rim protection and unreliable #2/#3 options offensively to alleviate pressure from Haliburton.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,393

Post#6 » by Cavsfansince84 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:20 pm

Come on. A 20 game sample at this level plus what he did last year over what Nash did over 4-5 years? I get its peak but you have to at least back it up in the playoffs before it can be used in debates like this. Nash despite getting dinged for lack of playoff success still did things which Ty hasn't come close to yet.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,756

Post#7 » by penbeast0 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:28 pm

Let's keep watching him the rest of the year (and it's a pleasure to watch him so far), and at the end of the year, we can make this comparison. If you can actually compare 20 game samples over the NBA's history, then comparing Haliburton to others is fair, but it's still small sample size theatre right now.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,647

Post#8 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:17 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Let's keep watching him the rest of the year (and it's a pleasure to watch him so far), and at the end of the year, we can make this comparison. If you can actually compare 20 game samples over the NBA's history, then comparing Haliburton to others is fair, but it's still small sample size theatre right now.

Exactly how I feel.

Hali is totally showing some of what I'd expect from a competitor to Nash, but I'm not hasty in drawing conclusions.

I'll also say that I am super-impressed by Hali leading the best ORtg with low TOs at super-fast pace, but it has been brought to my attention that while the Pacer pace is way faster than Nash-era Sun pace, if you actually look at how much time the Sun possessions took, they're just as fast as the Pacers, it's just that in the meantime everyone else has sped up that much.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
mdonnelly1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,359

Post#9 » by mdonnelly1989 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:54 am

Cavsfansince84 wrote:Come on. A 20 game sample at this level plus what he did last year over what Nash did over 4-5 years? I get its peak but you have to at least back it up in the playoffs before it can be used in debates like this. Nash despite getting dinged for lack of playoff success still did things which Ty hasn't come close to yet.

Right now Haliburton is a 93

Peak Steve Nash was about a 95-96 right around where Luka is now.

A great playoffs can propel him there and beyond but not just yet.
ShotCreator
Analyst
And1: 2,348

Post#10 » by ShotCreator » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:17 am

Haliburton's shot distribution and passing style is still under question from me. I don't think he's Nash level at creating looks for teammates, however his decision making seems to be all-time good. The TOV rate is preposterous.

I don't know if Haliburton's shot making will really hold up against elite D.

Stylistically I'd prefer Nash even if I thought they were equally as effective. Yet to be seen.
Swinging for the fences.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,382

Post#11 » by Woodsanity » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:51 pm

Need to see a larger sample from Hali to determine. Not sure if his current numbers are sustainable.
UglyBugBall wrote:Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work.
To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him.

:lol:
giordunk
Analyst
And1: 494

Post#12 » by giordunk » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:00 am

Look if Haliburton is actually this good and has some playoff experience under his belt, he is a much better overall player than Steve Nash.
i like peanuts
Ritzo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,352

Post#13 » by Ritzo » Tue May 7, 2024 3:12 am

Regular season player, he sh*t his pants under the bright light. Nash never won a title but at least he always elevated his game come playoff time.
TroubleS0me
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#14 » by TroubleS0me » Tue May 7, 2024 4:18 am

Ritzo wrote:Regular season player, he sh*t his pants under the bright light. Nash never won a title but at least he always elevated his game come playoff time.

good bump lol
yea Tyrese & Peak Nash in the same sentence wow smh
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,654

Post#15 » by EmpireFalls » Tue May 7, 2024 4:40 am

At least the poll spoke the truth.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,335

Post#16 » by GSP » Tue May 7, 2024 4:41 am

Podcaster Pat Bev outplayed Haliburton in a playoff game and blew his ass out lmao
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,229

Post#17 » by AdagioPace » Tue May 7, 2024 11:24 am

here we have a typical example of a "December overreaction"
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,698

Post#18 » by tsherkin » Wed May 8, 2024 10:05 am

AdagioPace wrote:here we have a typical example of a "December overreaction"

We're guilty of it eventually, heh.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,280

Post#19 » by RSCD3_ » Wed May 8, 2024 11:12 pm

I believe haliburton was playing over his head but he hasnt had time to heal because he needed to hit that 65 game benchmark and across the board his stats and especially his jumper were down so I'm thinking an offseason will have his scoring game flourish more even if its not 26 PPG on 63 TS%
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,432

Post#20 » by AEnigma » Wed May 8, 2024 11:21 pm

RSCD3_ wrote:I believe haliburton was playing over his head but he hasnt had time to heal because he needed to hit that 65 game benchmark and across the board his stats and especially his jumper were down so I'm thinking an offseason will have his scoring game flourish more even if its not 26 PPG on 63 TS%

Nah I prefer pretending the guy who had been a career 40% shooter just coincidentally became a 32% one after his injury.

He is worse than Nash, and this was a silly and reactive thread, but extremely telling what types of people treat injury as an opportunity to gloat rather than as a disappointing setback for a visibly elite young player.

Return to Player Comparisons