2023-24 NBA Season Discussion

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,651

Re: 2023-24 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#3301 » by 70sFan » Mon May 20, 2024 10:21 am

Wolves are the best defensive team in a very long time in the league... I know I said it not too long ago, but they are nothing short of incredible - especially when you compare how the Lakers (solid defensive team) couldn't manage to do much against Denver offense.

I won't go into details too much, since there are many wild, hot takes here right after the game, but this series didn't change anything I knew before about Jokic (he's the best player in the league) or Gobert (he's the best defender in the league). I like what I saw from KAT though, he showed a lot of heart and dedication in this series.

I realized this week that I would be rooting for the winner of this series and I won't change that now - Minny is my favourite team right now and I can't wait to see them against Dallas!
70sFan
RealGM

Post#3302 » by 70sFan » Mon May 20, 2024 10:23 am

GSP wrote:
CKRT wrote:Hopefully people will start giving Gobert his flowers (at least for his play), but alas.

Rudy def deserves his props for the last 2 games. He was awful games 3-5 and looked like one of his defenses were heading the same way after Wolves just had their most dominant defense of the series w/o him game 2. But he really made a big impact these last 2 games. He has a real chance to prove alot of the doubters including me wrong about his playoff viability.

We just saw Gobert leading his team to win the series against the defending champions by shutting down their offense, led by GOAT-level offensive player, all through their defense and you are kind to say that he "has a chance to prove you wrong"?

Can't wait to see you trashing Gobert after the next lost game by the Wolves. All about objective analysis, right?
CzBoobie
Assistant Coach
And1: 414

Post#3303 » by CzBoobie » Mon May 20, 2024 10:31 am

70sFan wrote:Wolves are the best defensive team in a very long time in the league... I know I said it not too long ago, but they are nothing short of incredible - especially when you compare how the Lakers (solid defensive team) couldn't manage to do much against Denver offense.

I won't go into details too much, since there are many wild, hot takes here right after the game, but this series didn't change anything I knew before about Jokic (he's the best player in the league) or Gobert (he's the best defender in the league). I like what I saw from KAT though, he showed a lot of heart and dedication in this series.

I realized this week that I would be rooting for the winner of this series and I won't change that now - Minny is my favourite team right now and I can't wait to see them against Dallas!

The Lakers a solid defensive team? They have Davis who cant guard Jokic and their next best defender is 39 years old. They lack pretty much everything what makes Minny great.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,029

Post#3304 » by OhayoKD » Mon May 20, 2024 10:51 am

CzBoobie wrote:
70sFan wrote:Wolves are the best defensive team in a very long time in the league... I know I said it not too long ago, but they are nothing short of incredible - especially when you compare how the Lakers (solid defensive team) couldn't manage to do much against Denver offense.

The Lakers a solid defensive team? They have Davis who cant guard Jokic and their next best defender is 39 years old. They lack pretty much everything what makes Minny great.

AD did well on Jokic in this series and 2020. The only series he "couldn't guard Jokic" was when he had a torn plantir facis in 2023. The Lakers real issue is their lack of a second big but even then, the lakers did a decent job on Jokic for stretches. Curious how much of those clutch collpases was personell, and how much of that was coaching.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,590

Post#3305 » by GSP » Mon May 20, 2024 11:15 am

70sFan wrote:
GSP wrote:
CKRT wrote:Hopefully people will start giving Gobert his flowers (at least for his play), but alas.

Rudy def deserves his props for the last 2 games. He was awful games 3-5 and looked like one of his defenses were heading the same way after Wolves just had their most dominant defense of the series w/o him game 2. But he really made a big impact these last 2 games. He has a real chance to prove alot of the doubters including me wrong about his playoff viability.

We just saw Gobert leading his team to win the series against the defending champions by shutting down their offense, led by GOAT-level offensive player, all through their defense and you are kind to say that he "has a chance to prove you wrong"?

Can't wait to see you trashing Gobert after the next lost game by the Wolves. All about objective analysis, right?

No i just dont ignore Rudys bad games like his supporters here. Wolves held them to a 90 Ortg in the game Rudy missed also. Rudys never made it out of the 2nd round until now and his anchored defenses have gotten torched more times than not in the playoffs w/ a few incredibly pathetic performances for a Dpoy. His perimeter defenders were always blamed but he doesnt have that excuse anymore w/ Wolves elite perimeter defense so we'll see if he can finish the job b/c theres no more excuse w/ this elite defensive personnel around him
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,029

Post#3306 » by OhayoKD » Mon May 20, 2024 11:18 am

GSP wrote:
70sFan wrote:
GSP wrote:

No i just dont ignore Rudys bad games like his supporters here. Wolves held them to a 90 Ortg in the game Rudy missed also. Rudys never made it out of the 2nd round until now and his anchored defenses have gotten torched more times than not in the playoffs w/ a few incredibly embarrassing performances for a Dpoy. His perimeter defenders were always blamed but he doesnt have that excuse anymore w/ Wolves elite perimeter defense so we'll see if he can finish the job b/c theres no more excuse w/ this elite defensive personnel

Yeah if Gobert is that dude, this should be pushing for greatest defense of the modern age
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,887

Post#3307 » by eminence » Mon May 20, 2024 12:34 pm

I particularly enjoyed that Gobert helped win this game by performing well in two of his weakest areas. 7/9 at the FT line, and 9 fouls drawn. One particular sequence where he picked up 3 straight fouls on smalls switching onto him and helped put Minnesota in the bonus very early.
I bought a boat.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,701

Post#3308 » by Statlanta » Mon May 20, 2024 12:39 pm

The one thing I was thinking the entire 4 year run for Jokic was that he passed up too many open 3s but today he was forced to gun due to exhaustion and it looked horrible.

LeBron would get to the rim regardless of minutes
Aaron Gordon, Devin Booker, Tyrese Halliburton, Trae Young, Anthony Edwards and Luka Doncic all made the Conference Finals.

Where’s Joel Embiid?
70sFan
RealGM

Post#3309 » by 70sFan » Mon May 20, 2024 12:52 pm

GSP wrote:No i just dont ignore Rudys bad games like his supporters here.

That's good, because Rudy has been very good and very consistent throughout the whole series.

Wolves held them to a 90 Ortg in the game Rudy missed also.

How is that a black mark on him? Wolves held Nuggets to 107, 77 and 105 ORtg in wins he played.

Rudys never made it out of the 2nd round until now and his anchored defenses have gotten torched more times than not in the playoffs w/ a few incredibly pathetic performances for a Dpoy.

Yeah, because he was surrounded by all-time great help right? Now he is in the 3rd round and that's in a big part because of his play.

His perimeter defenders were always blamed but he doesnt have that excuse anymore w/ Wolves elite perimeter defense so we'll see if he can finish the job b/c theres no more excuse w/ this elite defensive personnel around him

"No more excuses", yeah because Gobert, of all people in this league, has faced full of excuses... :banghead:
I don't know another star who is blamed for everything so disproportionally as Gobert. He was blamed even for Jokic unreal performance in game 5, you don't see the same thing with guys like Bam or AD.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#3310 » by 70sFan » Mon May 20, 2024 12:53 pm

CzBoobie wrote:

Yes, they were solid.
CzBoobie
Assistant Coach
And1: 414

Post#3311 » by CzBoobie » Mon May 20, 2024 1:08 pm

If solid is below average, then yeah...
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,235

Post#3312 » by Ron Swanson » Mon May 20, 2024 2:31 pm

It's just one season thus far but the Wolves certainly seem to have taken the baton from the 2019-2023 Bucks as far as dominant era-relative defenses go (yes, I'm jealous). You saw Jokic's biggest weaknesses exploited in this series (conditioning/foot speed, paint defense) and that's what great defenses do. Forcing him into the role of high volume, mid-efficiency shot-creator is easier said than done, but they have an embarrassment of riches in defensive personnel to make it work. Game 7 seemed like a textbook Popovich Spurs vs. Nash/Amare Suns playoff battle.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,908

Post#3313 » by Peregrine01 » Mon May 20, 2024 2:35 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:It's just one season thus far but the Wolves certainly seem to have taken the baton from the 2019-2023 Bucks as far as dominant era-relative defenses go (yes, I'm jealous). You saw Jokic's biggest weaknesses exploited in this series (conditioning/foot speed, paint defense) and that's what great defenses do. Game 7 seemed like a textbook Popovich Spurs vs. Nash/Amare Suns playoff battle.

I think they’re a lot better on defense than those Bucks teams. The biggest difference being the perimeter defense. If anything was exposed about the Nuggets offense it’s their inability to deal well with ball pressure.
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,064

Post#3314 » by bigboi » Mon May 20, 2024 3:23 pm

I’m bookmarking this. When wolves face Celtics in the finals and get smoked, I don’t want to hear a change of tune on their defense. You guys do this every single year
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,064

Post#3315 » by bigboi » Mon May 20, 2024 3:28 pm

Colbinii wrote:I think Minnesota is in the running for GOAT defense.

They check all the boxes from a player perspective--ATG rim protector, athletic and long wings who are incredible at ball pressure and navigating screens and incredible size 2-5.

Where the hangup for many, including myself, is their rel defensive rtg not being GOAT level [next tier though]. However, with the variance in today's league, I think it is more difficult to attain the higher-end rel defensive ratings now than in prior eras.

Stand on it. Again, when this wolves team”’s defense ends up getting smoked by Boston. I do not want to hear a switch up because calling them a goat defense is just a flat out lie and another attempt to prop up Jokic. I know if Tatum averages 30 on them, yall won’t have the same assessment
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,435

Post#3316 » by Colbinii » Mon May 20, 2024 3:34 pm

bigboi wrote:
Colbinii wrote:I think Minnesota is in the running for GOAT defense.

They check all the boxes from a player perspective--ATG rim protector, athletic and long wings who are incredible at ball pressure and navigating screens and incredible size 2-5.

Where the hangup for many, including myself, is their rel defensive rtg not being GOAT level [next tier though]. However, with the variance in today's league, I think it is more difficult to attain the higher-end rel defensive ratings now than in prior eras.

Stand on it. Again, when this wolves team”’s defense ends up getting smoked by Boston. I do not want to hear a switch up because calling them a goat defense is just a flat out lie and another attempt to prop up Jokic. I know if Tatum averages 30 on them, yall won’t have the same assessment

I've watched just about every T Wolves game man. This has nothing to do with Jokic or any narrative surrounding him.

I'm a Timberwolves fan, not a Jokic fan. I could care less about your thoughts surrounding Jokic and please, when I prop up Minnesota, don't bring up Jokic or Denver, unless you want to focus on the offensive efficiency drop off :lol:
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#3317 » by 70sFan » Mon May 20, 2024 3:39 pm

bigboi wrote:

I’m bookmarking this. When wolves face Celtics in the finals and get smoked, I don’t want to hear a change of tune on their defense. You guys do this every single year

Yeah, show me my posts from other years saying the same thing. I am the last person on this board you can accuse of overreacting. I am always sceptical about any new team and player in historical perspective. You don't know my posting history if you say such things.

The idea of Celtics offense destroying Minny defense sounds fun though, I hope we will be able to check that in reality :wink:
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,701

Post#3318 » by parsnips33 » Mon May 20, 2024 3:42 pm

The really scary thing is it seems like Ant is still nowhere close to his full potential at this point
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,574

Post#3319 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 20, 2024 3:57 pm

Ignore the poster just trying to play gotcha on a pre-determined result of a series we might not even get. Stop letting these guys wreck the discussion.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Texas Chuck
And1: 90,574

Post#3320 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 20, 2024 3:57 pm

parsnips33 wrote:The really scary thing is it seems like Ant is still nowhere close to his full potential at this point

He can wait until next year. :wink:
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.

Return to Player Comparisons