Heej
General Manager
And1: 9,032

Re: 2023-24 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#3221 » by Heej » Sat May 18, 2024 5:31 pm

Peregrine01 wrote:
Heej wrote:
Peregrine01 wrote:
I thought that the shot profile that the Nuggets generated out of Jokic's double-teams were excellent in game 6, they just couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. But overall I agree with the premise that it's easier for a defense to load-up on a post-player than a perimeter guy just because of the geometry of the floor.

The thing with Jokic though is that he's not just a post guy, he's elite from practically every spot on the court. He's the best player at the nail that I've ever seen. That he keeps trying to run DHOs from there with Murray who's struggling to get McDaniels off of him even with a Jokic screen instead of just attacking Kat from a position where he can see the whole floor is a conscious decision by him to get Murray going. Now, the Nuggets can do that against the Lakers and play sub-optimally a whole series but the Wolves are a different story.

I also highly disagree that the "formula" is out on Jokic and the Nuggets. These Wolves might have the best defense we've seen since the 08 Celtics. They have Rudy who's a generational rim protector, KAT who can absorb Jokic's back-downs and 3 long wings who make it hell for ball-handlers to even make it past half-court, let alone try a post-entry pass. This is not a replicable roster by any means.

From what I remember in Cranjis McBasketball's discord, the BBallIndex guys were tracking Jokic's PPP vs specific coverages and the one coverage he tracked under 1.0 on was the one I mentioned with high side doubles and rotations on the backside where he clocked in at a pretty poor 0.80

The Lakers honestly were just badly coached and often panicked and went away from the coverage that was working even with suboptimal defenders. The wolves are just on another level from the Lakers coaching and personnel-wise so it looks impossible to replicate but it's really not for most contender level teams.

I'm doing a rewatch of the nuggets Wolves game after I lift so I'll try to see if I can hand track a few items of interest with respect to specific coverages.

The two-big strategy of taking the rim protector off Jokic and guarding him with a smaller dude is effective but it requires the right personnel. You need a generational type rim protector like AD and Gobert who can guard two guys in the paint at the same time. But you also need a guy sturdy enough to at least bother Jokic.

As for the PPP stats, there seems to be an awful lot of qualifiers to arrive at that number so I wonder if it's telling much. At a higher level, vanilla left block/right block post-ups are just becoming increasingly futile. It has long been settled that a defender can be 10x as physical if the guy's back is to you than if he's facing up. Jokic is the best back-to-the-basket player in the league but even he's been more a lot more effective facing up and bodying his way into the paint compared to backing guys down. Most of Kat's foul trouble has come from Jokic driving whereas Jokic really hasn't been able to do much against him posting up with Rudy spying. I also wonder if things wouldn't look so gummed up if AG was more of a shooting threat.

Yeah I completely agree on that last point. It's why I laugh at 90s-maxxers when you see the judo and wrestling moves going on nowadays just to establish post position. Jokic not using his face up game as well or as often as Embiid is a big problem of mine with people championing his ballhandling. I'd like to see him do more facing up if anything, and it's why I think Embiid when he's on is slightly harder to scheme against due to how incredible he is at the nail. Not that Jokic isn't great there as well, but Embiid is pretty special there.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,272

Post#3222 » by tsherkin » Sat May 18, 2024 5:39 pm

Heej wrote:It was over the course of the last year's worth of matchups with just the Lakers and logging about 30-50 possessions per help type. I was mistaken though its only the last series he was that low. In the 2023 series and 4 Lakers matchups during the RS he was at 1.16 which was still the lowest of all help types but the Lakers are ass and that's great production.

For the entire regular season with hard high side doubles it was 0.96 vs 1.14 in iso post ups. I do wonder what the numbers are vs the wolves. I'm sure the difference is staggering, but I'll try and track that on a rewatch today.

Interesting. A little niche and small-sample, but interesting none the less.
lessthanjake
Sixth Man
And1: 1,460

Post#3223 » by lessthanjake » Sat May 18, 2024 5:43 pm

Lol, what are we doing here if we’re saying Jokic has had a “bad series”? The man is averaging 28/10/8 on 61% TS% and without lots of turnovers, against a contender-level team with the #1 defense in the league (and like top 20 rDRTG of all time). And, for what it’s worth (which isn’t much IMO), he also has like a +26 on-off per 48 minutes in the series (would probably be more like +29 per 100 possessions). To say he’s had a “bad series” is just wild stuff.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,908

Post#3224 » by Peregrine01 » Sat May 18, 2024 5:46 pm

lessthanjake wrote:Lol, what are we doing here if we’re saying Jokic has had a “bad series”? The man is averaging 28/10/8 on 61% TS% and without lots of turnovers, against a contender-level team with the #1 defense in the league (and like top 20 rDRTG of all time). And, for what it’s worth (which isn’t much IMO), he also has like a +26 on-off per 48 minutes in the series (would probably be more like +29 per 100 possessions). To say he’s had a “bad series” is just wild stuff.

No one's saying that he's had a bad series. I think he's had a pretty good series considering how putrid Murray has been. The critique (from me at least) is that he's been too insistent on getting Murray going, when it really hasn't worked this entire playoffs. There's 0 reason why Murray should be taking more shots than Jokic when he's scoring on 46% TS.
lessthanjake
Sixth Man

Post#3225 » by lessthanjake » Sat May 18, 2024 6:21 pm

Peregrine01 wrote:
lessthanjake wrote:Lol, what are we doing here if we’re saying Jokic has had a “bad series”? The man is averaging 28/10/8 on 61% TS% and without lots of turnovers, against a contender-level team with the #1 defense in the league (and like top 20 rDRTG of all time). And, for what it’s worth (which isn’t much IMO), he also has like a +26 on-off per 48 minutes in the series (would probably be more like +29 per 100 possessions). To say he’s had a “bad series” is just wild stuff.

No one's saying that he's had a bad series. I think he's had a pretty good series considering how putrid Murray has been. The critique (from me at least) is that he's been too insistent on getting Murray going, when it really hasn't worked this entire playoffs. There's 0 reason why Murray should be taking more shots than Jokic when he's scoring on 46% TS.

Oh, I agree with you. To be fair, Murray hasn’t been taking more shots than Jokic in this series (for TS% purposes, Jokic has like 34 more attempts than Murray in this series), but I think the retrospective critique that the team might be better off with Jokic not trying as hard to get Murray going is probably a correct one. I assume Jokic has trust in his teammate to get going and/or feels like they’re not really going to go anywhere if they basically just give up on Murray, so his approach has been to tilt the shooting load towards himself more in this series but to still try to get Murray going. But, seeing what we’ve seen from Murray, I think we can definitely say in retrospect that, in the games that have happened, Jokic could’ve or should’ve approached that differently.

However, in terms of “No one’s saying that he’s had a bad series,” I would point you to this post from earlier today: https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=113239079#p113239079. There, the poster said “He's had a bad series, not for "goat" standards, but for MVP standards.” That’s what I was directly referring to, not to your posts. Of course, even that post had the “for MVP standards” qualifier, but I still think it’s a wild take even with that qualifier, for the reasons I mentioned in the post you were responding to.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,425

Post#3226 » by Colbinii » Sat May 18, 2024 6:41 pm

But what about the pre-season championship odds?

Denver +450
Minnesota +6600
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Heej
General Manager
And1: 9,032

Post#3227 » by Heej » Sat May 18, 2024 6:42 pm

Breathe man. No one's saying he's having a bad series outside of Ohayo, and even that is more due to his lackluster defense and some game to game inconsistency which is a fair critique to have right now. I'm personally pushing back on the idea that he's some giga brain Mastermind sacrificing battles to win the war by spending possessions solely to get Murray going. Sometimes even GOAT level players get flustered and need a teammate to bail them out during various possessions. And that's ok. Murray is just getting clamped by one of the most memorable defenses in years.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
lessthanjake
Sixth Man

Post#3228 » by lessthanjake » Sat May 18, 2024 7:03 pm

Heej wrote:

Breathe man. No one's saying he's having a bad series. I'm just pushing back on the idea that he's some giga brain Mastermind sacrificing battles to win the war by spending possessions solely to get Murray going. Sometimes even GOAT level players get flustered and need a teammate to bail them out during various possessions. And that's ok. Murray is just getting clamped by one of the most memorable defenses in years.

Actually, someone literally did just post in this thread that Jokic has “had a bad series.” I’m not really responding to what you’ve been saying. I think there’s surely *some* validity to what you’re saying, though it’s also surely true that Jokic is trying to get his #2 guy going and probably feels like that they can’t just give up on him if they want to actually get anywhere. And it’s also surely true that Jokic taking on more of the shooting load in this series (which he has done) is at least partially because Murray doesn’t have it. So I think they’ve adjusted to Murray being off by having Jokic focus on himself more while also not just abandoning Murray. But yeah, on a possession-by-possession level, I’m sure there are instances where Jokic has been flustered and simply looked to Murray to get him out of a tough situation—that’s always going to be true for anyone (and is part of the reason that having a great #2 guy is so important). Of course, that situation doesn’t work out to Denver’s advantage in a series where Murray is playing awfully. So yeah, I don’t really disagree with you I don’t think, unless your position is that Jokic is not at all trying to get Murray going—which I don’t think is right. Nor do I think trying to get Murray rolling is an objectively bad decision. We’d think it was a great decision if it worked! It hasn’t so we can say in retrospect that he should have focused on himself even more, but we have the benefit of hindsight.

Colbinii wrote:

Denver +450
Minnesota +6600

This is a straw man. I’ve never defined how strong a team is by pre-season title odds.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,425

Post#3229 » by Colbinii » Sat May 18, 2024 7:10 pm

lessthanjake wrote:
Heej wrote:

Breathe man. No one's saying he's having a bad series. I'm just pushing back on the idea that he's some giga brain Mastermind sacrificing battles to win the war by spending possessions solely to get Murray going. Sometimes even GOAT level players get flustered and need a teammate to bail them out during various possessions. And that's ok. Murray is just getting clamped by one of the most memorable defenses in years.

Actually, someone literally did just post in this thread that Jokic has “had a bad series.” I’m not really responding to what you’ve been saying. I think there’s surely *some* validity to what you’re saying, though it’s also surely true that Jokic is trying to get his #2 guy going and probably feels like that they can’t just give up on him if they want to actually get anywhere. And it’s also surely true that Jokic taking on more of the shooting load in this series (which he has done) is at least partially because Murray doesn’t have it. So I think they’ve adjusted to Murray being off by having Jokic focus on himself more while also not just abandoning Murray. But yeah, on a possession-by-possession level, I’m sure there are instances where Jokic has been flustered and simply looked to Murray to get him out of a tough situation—that’s always going to be true for anyone (and is part of the reason that having a great #2 guy is so important). Of course, that situation doesn’t work out to Denver’s advantage in a series where Murray is playing awfully. So yeah, I don’t really disagree with you I don’t think, unless your position is that Jokic is not at all trying to get Murray going—which I don’t think is right. Nor do I think trying to get Murray rolling is an objectively bad decision. We’d think it was a great decision if it worked! It hasn’t so we can say in retrospect that he should have focused on himself even more, but we have the benefit of hindsight.

Colbinii wrote:

Denver +450
Minnesota +6600

This is a straw man. I’ve never defined how strong a team is by pre-season title odds.

This you?

The Cavs were taken a lot more seriously as contenders than those Raptors.

The 1989 Cavs had +800 preseason odds to win the title. Going into the playoffs, their odds were down to +400. And they then were +600 in preseason odds going into the next season.

In stark contrast, the 2018 Raptors had +15000 preseason odds to win the title. Going into the playoffs, their odds were +1075. And they then had +1850 preseason odds going into the next season.

The Warriors’s greatness skewed title odds a bit, but the reality is that those 1989 Cavs were simply seen in much higher esteem than those 2018 Raptors, and it’s really not particularly close.

And, it’s worth noting that, unlike with the Cavs in 2018, the 1989 Bulls had way worse title odds in both preseason and going into the playoffs than the 1989 Cavs did. Meanwhile, the 2018 Cavs had better preseason and pre-playoffs odds than the 2018 Raptors. Of course, that doesn’t prove a lot by itself because one could theoretically try to argue that the Bulls’ worse odds merely reflected Jordan being less good than LeBron, but it does show that the situations were radically different. Jordan won as a major underdog against a team that was considered a serious title contender. LeBron won as the more favored team against a team that wasn’t really considered a particularly serious title contender. Not the same thing at all.

You are literally comparing two teams [1989 Cavaliers and 2018 Raptors] and the only data point you use it Title Odds. In fact, you just wrote about 4 paragraphs and the only sticking point here is title odds.

And is this you?

In his career, Jordan beat 15 teams that had +1000 or better pre-playoff title odds, while LeBron beat 9 such teams. If we use pre-playoff title odds and add up the implicit pre-playoff expected title chances of every single team LeBron beat in the playoffs and every team Jordan beat in the playoffs (so, for instance, beating a team with +300 pre-playoff title odds would add 0.25 to the cumulative total), Jordan’s defeated opponents had a cumulative pre-playoff expected titles of 2.86, compared to 2.62 for LeBron’s defeated opponents (despite LeBron having won 41 series to 30 for Jordan). And if we just did this analysis for teams before the Finals (i.e. to test out the relative weakness of their conference opponents specifically), we still have Jordan having defeated teams with a higher cumulative pre-playoff expected titles than LeBron—despite LeBron having won over 50% more non-Finals series than Jordan. The average pre-playoff expected title chances for LeBron’s defeated non-Finals opponents was 4.48%, while it was 6.93% for Jordan’s defeated non-Finals opponents (and with Finals in there, it’s 6.40% for LeBron’s opponents, and 9.55% for Jordan’s opponents). So yeah, even if you just look at the teams that each guy actually beat, Jordan’s conference opponents were stronger.

So you are comparing LeBron James and Michael Jordan opponents in the playoffs and the only data point you are using are...title odds.

It seems like you have, in fact, used only title odds to compare teams.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,029

Post#3230 » by Owly » Sat May 18, 2024 7:32 pm

Peregrine01 wrote:
Owly wrote:
Peregrine01 wrote:This is a crazy stat:

Murray is scoring on 46% TS this playoffs - this is among the 10 worst in NBA playoffs history dating back to the start of the 3-point era.

Worse yet?

He's taking the most shots on his own team.

The broad point is true ... the specifics ... one would need to give a FGA or TSA (or similar) qualifier. Otherwise the 10 worst will be guys attempting and missing a single shot or two. I'll grant here that I don't know whether there's a widely known consensus number here (at a glance it seems like to qualify on Reference you need 20 playoff fga for season-playoffs fg% leaderboard and 50 TSA for season-playoffs TS% leaderboard).

Beyond the likes of Corey Gaines (0/4) and Ben Hansbrough (0/3) I can see there are several players who shot over 50 playoff fgas over their careers in the 3pt era with sub 40 TS%s whilst specific years may be better and are probably lower volume (unless only one playoff run) they will have some runs in contention if the attempted bar is low enough. Examples here include Mike O'Koren, Lindsey Hunter and Smush Parker.

So the specific rank would depend on the qualifiers. Now we're in a high efficiency league so relating it to league averages would likely make it look worse.

I decided to check and his present .458 TS% is a little worse than Trae Young's 2022 (5 game) .461 ... though Young's came with a 27.1 TOV%.

Yes, there is a qualifier minimum FGAs.

What makes Murray's play so damning is that he's the only guy in the bottom 10 of scoring efficiency that's playing with a guy like Jokic. And he's taking even more shots than the guy who will probably go down as one of the offensive GOATs. This is a historically bad performance and pretty inexcusable.

Could you say what it is, if you know? Thanks.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant

Post#3231 » by Peregrine01 » Sat May 18, 2024 7:33 pm

That this forum has devolved into a back and forth "gotcha" **** has made it a lot less enjoyable. There's a whole bunch of posters on here whose sole purpose is to post 50 times a day yelling "Hah! See? I'm right and you're wrong".
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant

Post#3232 » by Peregrine01 » Sat May 18, 2024 7:34 pm

Owly wrote:
Peregrine01 wrote:
Owly wrote:The broad point is true ... the specifics ... one would need to give a FGA or TSA (or similar) qualifier. Otherwise the 10 worst will be guys attempting and missing a single shot or two. I'll grant here that I don't know whether there's a widely known consensus number here (at a glance it seems like to qualify on Reference you need 20 playoff fga for season-playoffs fg% leaderboard and 50 TSA for season-playoffs TS% leaderboard).

Beyond the likes of Corey Gaines (0/4) and Ben Hansbrough (0/3) I can see there are several players who shot over 50 playoff fgas over their careers in the 3pt era with sub 40 TS%s whilst specific years may be better and are probably lower volume (unless only one playoff run) they will have some runs in contention if the attempted bar is low enough. Examples here include Mike O'Koren, Lindsey Hunter and Smush Parker.

So the specific rank would depend on the qualifiers. Now we're in a high efficiency league so relating it to league averages would likely make it look worse.

I decided to check and his present .458 TS% is a little worse than Trae Young's 2022 (5 game) .461 ... though Young's came with a 27.1 TOV%.

What makes Murray's play so damning is that he's the only guy in the bottom 10 of scoring efficiency that's playing with a guy like Jokic. And he's taking even more shots than the guy who will probably go down as one of the offensive GOATs. This is a historically bad performance and pretty inexcusable.

Looks like it's in the ballpark of min. 200 FGAs.
lessthanjake
Sixth Man

Post#3233 » by lessthanjake » Sat May 18, 2024 7:50 pm

Colbinii wrote:
lessthanjake wrote:
Heej wrote:Breathe man. No one's saying he's having a bad series. I'm just pushing back on the idea that he's some giga brain Mastermind sacrificing battles to win the war by spending possessions solely to get Murray going. Sometimes even GOAT level players get flustered and need a teammate to bail them out during various possessions. And that's ok. Murray is just getting clamped by one of the most memorable defenses in years.

Colbinii wrote:

Denver +450
Minnesota +6600

This you?

The Cavs were taken a lot more seriously as contenders than those Raptors.

The 1989 Cavs had +800 preseason odds to win the title. Going into the playoffs, their odds were down to +400. And they then were +600 in preseason odds going into the next season.

In stark contrast, the 2018 Raptors had +15000 preseason odds to win the title. Going into the playoffs, their odds were +1075. And they then had +1850 preseason odds going into the next season.

The Warriors’s greatness skewed title odds a bit, but the reality is that those 1989 Cavs were simply seen in much higher esteem than those 2018 Raptors, and it’s really not particularly close.

And, it’s worth noting that, unlike with the Cavs in 2018, the 1989 Bulls had way worse title odds in both preseason and going into the playoffs than the 1989 Cavs did. Meanwhile, the 2018 Cavs had better preseason and pre-playoffs odds than the 2018 Raptors. Of course, that doesn’t prove a lot by itself because one could theoretically try to argue that the Bulls’ worse odds merely reflected Jordan being less good than LeBron, but it does show that the situations were radically different. Jordan won as a major underdog against a team that was considered a serious title contender. LeBron won as the more favored team against a team that wasn’t really considered a particularly serious title contender. Not the same thing at all.

You are literally comparing two teams [1989 Cavaliers and 2018 Raptors] and the only data point you use it Title Odds. In fact, you just wrote about 4 paragraphs and the only sticking point here is title odds.

And is this you?

In his career, Jordan beat 15 teams that had +1000 or better pre-playoff title odds, while LeBron beat 9 such teams. If we use pre-playoff title odds and add up the implicit pre-playoff expected title chances of every single team LeBron beat in the playoffs and every team Jordan beat in the playoffs (so, for instance, beating a team with +300 pre-playoff title odds would add 0.25 to the cumulative total), Jordan’s defeated opponents had a cumulative pre-playoff expected titles of 2.86, compared to 2.62 for LeBron’s defeated opponents (despite LeBron having won 41 series to 30 for Jordan). And if we just did this analysis for teams before the Finals (i.e. to test out the relative weakness of their conference opponents specifically), we still have Jordan having defeated teams with a higher cumulative pre-playoff expected titles than LeBron—despite LeBron having won over 50% more non-Finals series than Jordan. The average pre-playoff expected title chances for LeBron’s defeated non-Finals opponents was 4.48%, while it was 6.93% for Jordan’s defeated non-Finals opponents (and with Finals in there, it’s 6.40% for LeBron’s opponents, and 9.55% for Jordan’s opponents). So yeah, even if you just look at the teams that each guy actually beat, Jordan’s conference opponents were stronger.

So you are comparing LeBron James and Michael Jordan opponents in the playoffs and the only data point you are using are...title odds.

It seems like you have, in fact, used only title odds to compare teams.

This is a tangent about something completely different, but I’ll note that you are conflating pre-playoff odds and preseason odds. In the first post of line you quote, I did mention preseason odds but the most important thing there was the *pre-playoff* title odds. Pre-playoff title odds are obviously more telling about who is considered a contender in the playoffs than preseason title odds, which I simply mentioned there because my post was setting forth *all possible* relevant information on contemporaneous perception of the two teams. And I note that our subsequent discussion after that post focused on pre-playoff title odds and during-playoff odds, not preseason odds—presumably because we both recognized that pre-playoff odds were the most important thing there. You’ll find that in talking about contemporaneous perception of playoff teams, my posts *overwhelmingly* focus on pre-playoff title odds, since they’re obviously the more telling piece of information than pre-season odds (I also note that preseason odds the *next* year are *also* probably a better indicator of how a team was seen by the end of the prior year than that prior season’s preseason odds are—and whatever happens in this series I imagine the Timberwolves preseason odds next year will be good). Indeed, the second past post of mine you quote focuses on pre-playoff odds, and doesn’t talk about preseason odds at all! So your attempt at a “gotcha” post is in large part based on you not seeing a very important distinction (i.e. pre-playoff odds vs. preseason odds). Granted, the Timberwolves’ pre-playoffs title odds actually weren’t all that great this year either. But I’d also probably say that the 1989 Cavs were held in higher esteem at the time than the 2024 Timberwolves!

What is your position here? Is it that the Timberwolves aren’t a contender-level team? I doubt you think that. Is it that you think it’s inconsistent of me to think the 2024 Timberwolves are a contender-level team but to not think that the 2018 Raptors were? That seems like the point you’re making. Leaving aside you seemingly not understanding the difference between pre-playoff and preseason odds, there’s actually a valid point there, in the sense that pre-playoff title odds don’t look better for the 2024 Timberwolves than for the 2018 Raptors. But another thing I’ve very often talked about in terms of identifying true contending teams is whether they have a major superstar—which matters a ton for playoff purposes IMO. The 2018 Raptors did not have one. The 2024 Timberwolves do. That makes a very big difference in my assessment. It also matters that the 2024 Timberwolves dominated their first round series, in a way that the pre-Kawhi Raptors never came even remotely close to doing in a single series. The pre-Kawhi Raptors were never impressive in a single playoff series. Their playoff SRS in the series they *won* were +2.53, +0.15, -0.08, and +4.0 (and a -13.83 SRS in the one series they lost to a non-Cavs team). The Wolves’ SRS from the Suns series was +18.08. Even those Daugherty Cavs—for whom playoff success is obviously the main knock, and who also didn’t have a major superstar—had playoff SRS of +4.40, +6.66, and +6.41 in the series they won (and a +6.63 SRS in the one series they lost to a non-Bulls team). So yeah, if we looked strictly at pre-playoff title odds as our only indicator, then my views on the 2018 Raptors and 2024 Timberwolves would be inconsistent, but that’s not the only indicator we have (nor is it the only indicator I’ve focused on in my many assessments of teams on these forums), and so I don’t think my views are actually inconsistent at all. And I’d wager that most people would agree that the 2024 Timberwolves are better than the 2018 Raptors.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant

Post#3234 » by Peregrine01 » Sat May 18, 2024 8:04 pm

Word to the wise: you don't have to respond to every "gotcha" post.

Not feeling too confident if I were the Nuggets. Top to bottom, they haven't looked like the better team at all in these playoffs. Honestly, I'm surprised that it's going to a game 7.
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,029

Post#3235 » by Owly » Sat May 18, 2024 8:12 pm

Peregrine01 wrote:
Owly wrote:
Peregrine01 wrote:

Looks like it's in the ballpark of min. 200 FGAs.

Thanks, that bar does seem to get a list with Murray "top" 10 by Statmuse's list at least.
https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask?q=worst+ts%25+in+playoff+in+a+single+season+since+1980+minimum+200+field+goals+attempts

Among that top 10 first glance notes
- most aren't much over the 200 fga bar apart from 10th place '16 Derozan.
- not Jokic level, nor necessarily at the level we think when invoking their names but 2001 Finley (if he was on your list, he's right at 200 fga) has Dirk and to a lesser extent Nash as alternatives as offense creators. Now he's one where era norms are quite a lot different (worse) from where they are now too, so as I said, that should be accounted for.

Thanks again for clarifying.
lessthanjake
Sixth Man

Post#3236 » by lessthanjake » Sat May 18, 2024 8:19 pm

Peregrine01 wrote:Word to the wise: you don't have to respond to every "gotcha" post.

Not feeling too confident if I were the Nuggets. Top to bottom, they haven't looked like the better team at all in these playoffs. Honestly, I'm surprised that it's going to a game 7.

Fair point. Seemed relevant to defend my approach as consistent, especially when there’s a certain segment of these forums that will latch onto stuff like this and mention it over and over again (with everything from frequent subtle references to giant “spoiler” quotes of the “gotcha” post) if you don’t address it. But yeah, it’s stupid.

As for the substance of what you said here, I agree. In general, I’d favor the home team in a Game 7, for obvious reasons. But, here, the Timberwolves have outscored the Nuggets by 4.7 points per game in the first 6 games of the series, and also had a better first round (albeit obviously against different teams). Meanwhile, despite not having HCA in the series, the Timberwolves also had the better regular season SRS—which is something that distinguishes it from the vast majority of the data points that go into the stats about how well home teams do in Game 7’s. So I am leaning towards the Timberwolves. But, of course, as with any single game, it could very easily go either way.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant

Post#3237 » by Peregrine01 » Sun May 19, 2024 2:49 am

OKC's lack of rebounding killed them this game. Chet needs to put on a lot of muscle this off-season.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,887

Post#3238 » by eminence » Sun May 19, 2024 2:54 am

Tough win by Dallas there.

OKCs top youth looked more ready than I expected (mostly SGA, but Williams/Chet were decent), it was their depth that let them down. Really feel they should have done more at the deadline. Didn't need to be something major (certainly could've been - imagine Siakam), another rotation guy like Buddy could've been enough to get this series.
I bought a boat.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,526

Post#3239 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 19, 2024 3:15 am

Dallas beats OKC in what was low key a great series that we didn't talk about because one poster managed to make the entire thread about Jokic sucks.

Dallas duo of Jones/Washington just made play after play after play. And in full disclosure I wanted nothing to do with either guy. Thank goodness smarter people than me are making the decisions.

Oh and SGA is a bad bad man.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,709

Post#3240 » by TheGOATRises007 » Sun May 19, 2024 3:22 am

SGA is incredible

Return to Player Comparisons