2023-24 NBA Season Discussion

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

jalengreen
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,120

Re: 2023-24 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#3161 » by jalengreen » Thu May 16, 2024 6:03 am

GSP wrote:Sgas gotten no help this series its actually insane how garbage the rest of the team have played after game 1

He had to turn into Mj in the 4th in game 4 and not miss a midrange shot all game to steal that one. This couldve easily been a backdoor sweep in 5 games for Dallas

I've heard people say "oh they're playing with house money it's fine", but I really think they could've done better at the deadline to increase their championship probability this year. The Hayward trade was lol, and Giddey is just bad. Didn't have to go all in or anything but feels like they should've done more. You never know how many contending years you're gonna have.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,476

Post#3162 » by Outside » Thu May 16, 2024 6:29 am

SGA is the real deal, but he needs a reliable second and third scoring option. It's fine if Dort is that guy once in a while, but they need Holmgren and Jalen Williams to score, with contributions from Wiggins and Wallace. Giddey has become unplayable in this series. Isaiah Joe has lost his three-point mojo. Prior to this series, OKC's depth was a big asset, but the rotation has tightened up a lot.

They'll learn from this. They can still win this series. But other than SGA, they need experience or upgrades.

On the plus side, SGA is a great piece to build around. He is so good.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,845

Post#3163 » by Fadeaway_J » Thu May 16, 2024 12:04 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
GSP wrote:Sgas gotten no help this series its actually insane how garbage the rest of the team have played after game 1

He had to turn into Mj in the 4th in game 4 and not miss a midrange shot all game to steal that one. This couldve easily been a backdoor sweep in 5 games for Dallas

Thunder feeling not-ready yet. Maybe the supporting cast will kick up to a new level in time, but maybe this ends up one to grow on.

They're just ahead of schedule. On a typical contender, you wouldn't be relying on a rookie and sophomore in the roles Chet and J-Dub are playing. Definitely need an upgrade the 4 though. It was obvious going in that Giddey would be an Achilles' heel.
rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,158

Post#3164 » by rk2023 » Thu May 16, 2024 3:27 pm

Shai’s averaging 31-9-7 on 59% TS this series - good for a 27ish game score. Sure, there are some areas he could certainly improve upon as an overall player - but he’s held up really well against a tough defensive opponent in spite of poor offensive efficiency from his supporting cast (much more a factor regarding OKC’s offensive rating dropoff this series).
Mogspan wrote:I think they see the super rare combo of high IQ with freakish athleticism and overrate the former a bit, kind of like a hot girl who is rather articulate being thought of as “super smart.” I don’t know kind of a weird analogy, but you catch my drift.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,700

Post#3165 » by Doctor MJ » Thu May 16, 2024 4:19 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Thunder feeling not-ready yet. Maybe the supporting cast will kick up to a new level in time, but maybe this ends up one to grow on.

They're just ahead of schedule. On a typical contender, you wouldn't be relying on a rookie and sophomore in the roles Chet and J-Dub are playing. Definitely need an upgrade the 4 though. It was obvious going in that Giddey would be an Achilles' heel.

Sure, as we would expect when saying not ready yet. :wink:
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,845

Post#3166 » by Fadeaway_J » Thu May 16, 2024 4:23 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Sure, as we would expect when saying not ready yet. :wink:

I was agreeing with you.
The High Cyde
Head Coach
And1: 12,668

Post#3167 » by The High Cyde » Fri May 17, 2024 2:41 am

Game 7 Denver Minny who ya got?
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,887

Post#3168 » by eminence » Fri May 17, 2024 3:01 am

Here's hoping Minnesota keeps that undefeated game 7 record.

Very forceful bounce back from Minnesota, happy to see the home fans have something to cheer about in the series.
I bought a boat.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,590

Post#3169 » by GSP » Fri May 17, 2024 3:05 am

Jokic needs a Bron type of Goat game 7 for Denver to have a shot. No doubt about it. Murray been ass all playoffs. You cant rely on Gordon to shoot 80% from the field and 3 in a game 7 altho not impossible. Holiday, Braun, Reggie had outlier bench performances in games 3/4 where they somehow miraculously outplayed one of the best benches. I dont think that bottom 5 bench all season shows up game 7 even at home.

Its Jokic or bust no way around it
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,704

Post#3170 » by TheGOATRises007 » Fri May 17, 2024 3:12 am

I would still favor Denver in game 7.

I think Minnesota might get tight with their offense if it's a close game.

I thought Denver would close it out tonight. Didn't expect a beatdown at all. Very interesting series though.
rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,158

Post#3171 » by rk2023 » Fri May 17, 2024 3:14 am

Mogspan wrote:I think they see the super rare combo of high IQ with freakish athleticism and overrate the former a bit, kind of like a hot girl who is rather articulate being thought of as “super smart.” I don’t know kind of a weird analogy, but you catch my drift.
GSP
RealGM

Post#3172 » by GSP » Fri May 17, 2024 3:45 am

jalengreen wrote:

I've heard people say "oh they're playing with house money it's fine", but I really think they could've done better at the deadline to increase their championship probability this year. The Hayward trade was lol, and Giddey is just bad. Didn't have to go all in or anything but feels like they should've done more. You never know how many contending years you're gonna have.

Maybe but they wouldve just gotten a key complimentary piece at best. At the end of the day their 2nd and 3rd best players are still a rookie and an inconsistent 3rd year wing who just made a jump. They werent gonna move either and Chet/Jdubb it was gonna be an experience year for them in playoffs regardless of any trades they made. Unless their plan was to deal one of the 2 for a potential 2nd star I dont think any other move was moving the needle for them to go far this year
GSP
RealGM

Post#3173 » by GSP » Fri May 17, 2024 4:06 am

Jokic averages 24,16,7 in game 7s and is 3-1. Only loss to Dame Time in his 1st playoff run but he won a game 7 right before against Demar

Hes beaten Rudy before in a game 7 and i think he even hit the series winner in his face................This is a legacy game for Rudy. He finally showed up defensively since coming back to the series. He wins this and if the Wolves go to finals or even win it all his entire narrative and career is changed forever

Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,908

Post#3174 » by Peregrine01 » Fri May 17, 2024 4:33 am

This is a crazy stat:

Murray is scoring on 46% TS this playoffs - this is among the 10 worst in NBA playoffs history dating back to the start of the 3-point era.

Worse yet?

He's taking the most shots on his own team.
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,827

Post#3175 » by Mos_Heat » Fri May 17, 2024 4:49 am

If Murray plays OK Denver most likely wins, if he plays horrendous like in game 1, 2 and 6 Minny would have a great shot
:reporter:
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,908

Post#3176 » by Peregrine01 » Fri May 17, 2024 4:53 am

Mos_Heat wrote:If Murray plays OK Denver most likely wins, if he plays horrendous like in game 1, 2 and 6 Minny would have a great shot

Horrendous is understating it. It's hard to describe how bad he's been in these playoffs. Probably better to play Reggie Jackson or Christian Braun when it gets like this. Also, what happened to Peyton Watson?
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,026

Post#3177 » by OhayoKD » Fri May 17, 2024 5:58 am

eminence wrote:Here's hoping Minnesota keeps that undefeated game 7 record.

Very forceful bounce back from Minnesota, happy to see the home fans have something to cheer about in the series.

I want to see a series where only the away team wins
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,921

Post#3178 » by ronnymac2 » Fri May 17, 2024 6:01 am

Damn, the best time of the year is about to end. With the play-ins, first round, and second round, we basically get at least two games per night for over a month. We only got one game tonight. Obviously the CFs and Finals are cool, but can't beat the combination of volume and no off days.

Three out of four Semis are insanely good this year. We could get three Game 7s out of it.

They're saying OG is out for Game 6 but could be back for Game 7. Hamstrings linger, but I'm hopeful. Hopefully we take care of business in Indy to give OG - to give everybody - some rest should we advance.

Losing that Game 5 in MSG against Philly really sucked. First to 16 wins is a war of attrition more than anything, and that means taking care of business the first opportunity you have.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
lessthanjake
Sixth Man
And1: 1,456

Post#3179 » by lessthanjake » Fri May 17, 2024 6:09 am

OhayoKD wrote:

Yeah, I don’t think that’s happened yet in the NBA. It did happen in the 2019 World Series, but I don’t think home field advantage is as strong in baseball, so that isn’t as surprising as it would be in the NBA. There’s probably other examples where the home team only won one game, but the most prominent example is probably the 1993 Finals. The Bulls won the first two games in Phoenix, and then Phoenix won 2 of the next 3 games in Chicago, and then Chicago closed it out in Phoenix.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,026

Post#3180 » by OhayoKD » Fri May 17, 2024 6:21 am

lessthanjake wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:

Yeah, I don’t think that’s happened yet in the NBA. It did happen in the 2019 World Series, but I don’t think home field advantage is as strong in baseball, so that isn’t as surprising as it would be in the NBA. There’s probably other examples where the home team only won one game, but the most prominent example is probably the 1993 Finals. The Bulls won the first two games in Phoenix, and then Phoenix won 2 of the next 3 games in Chicago, and then Chicago closed it out in Phoenix.

2021 clippers mavs
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL

Return to Player Comparisons