16%

Total votes: 125

Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,908

Re: Better peak: Kevin Garnett vs Nikola Jokic 

Post#241 » by Peregrine01 » Fri May 17, 2024 5:28 am

JimmyFromNz wrote:
I appreciate this Murray evaluation piece for everyone else here heavily leveraged in wanting to support whatever side of a Lebron-Jokic argument they're on, that's clear. However as someone who doesn't care about that side debate, I do agree with Peregine on the murray evaluation in isolation.

The bolded is a very low bar to hold someone to. Yes he is not being ignored, yes he is being guarded like an elite shooter on close outs (note not in the same way an elite scorer would - he doesn't penetrate to an elite level and he doesn't put pressure on the rim through contact of foul drawing), but thats the territory you operate in at an 'all star' level, and the results have frankly been underwhelming.

I wouldn't agree he's outplayed Jokic at all, at any point. Has he hit incredible scoring streaks in the past, thanks largely to unsustainable shooting spurges fed by the underlying benefit of playing off Jokic, yes absolutely. The focus on 'tough shots' I understand, but at some point that needs to be balanced is it actually a 'good shot' compared to the alternate. Many of those 'tough shots' become bad shots. Sure that point tends to get lost amongst the glory of a midrange fadeaway over Anthony Davis to win a playoff game (ignoring the 18 prior missed shots), and I'm sure it will continue to be the next time he does it.

I'd suggest the fixation is not on scoring, rather than everything he doesn't do when he's not scoring, presence isn't simply enough from someone being touted as a perennial allstar snub and all nba level player. Personally I think those issues were well articulated in the above post, which have been long term criticisms of him coming and going, but also timely this playoffs series.

It can be funny to see some reach this far to prop up a player just to take down his teammate several pegs.

I think the seductive thing about a guy like Murray is that he can look like Curry when he's on with the off-the-dribble shot-making. But he's never had Curry's shooting consistency. And even beyond just shooting, he doesn't get to the rim like Curry, doesn't see the floor like him nor does he have the motor like Curry to constantly stress defenses when he doesn't have the ball. So when his shot is off, he's really not adding much on either end of the floor. And in even worse situations like these playoffs, he can be a decisive net negative because he has the Kobe-mentality of shooting himself out of slumps.

The conventional thought is that Murray/Jokic is the best duo in the league when I'd argue it's not even the best duo on this team which IMO is AG/Jokic.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,026

Post#242 » by OhayoKD » Fri May 17, 2024 5:46 am

JimmyFromNz wrote:
OhayoKD wrote: He's still drawing defenders as the primary ball-handler and still taking on the toughest shot diet on the team. He has "flashes" as in entire playoff runs where he's arguably outplayed prime Jokic and even in the regular season his team jumps a bunch with him(not true for alot of all-stars). I really don't understand this approach to analysing Jokic's help where you ignore all the the things they do that Jokic doesn't, fixate on scoring when a teammate shoots badly, and/or decide the scoring is just a byproduct of Jokic if a teammate shoots well.

I appreciate this Murray evaluation piece for everyone else here heavily leveraged in wanting to support whatever side of a Lebron-Jokic argument they're on, that's clear. However as someone who doesn't care about that side debate, I do agree with Peregine on the murray evaluation in isolation.

The bolded is a very low bar to hold someone to. Yes he is not being ignored, yes he is being guarded like an elite shooter on close outs (note not in the same way an elite scorer would - he doesn't penetrate to an elite level and he doesn't put pressure on the rim through contact of foul drawing), but thats the territory you operate in at an 'all star' level, and the results have frankly been underwhelming.

He draws more defensive attention than nearly any other second option in the league. Being the primary ball-handler is also a differentiator and something Jokic benefits significantly from.

I wouldn't agree he's outplayed Jokic at all, at any point.

I would say the playoffs where he outscored and outassisted Jokic as the team's primary ball-handler while taking the toughest selection of shots would qualify as an arguable instance. It's also flatly unarguable for the Lakers series given Jamal was facing as much extra defensiive attention, and was not being targeted nearly as much defensively

The focus on 'tough shots' I understand, but at some point that needs to be balanced is it actually a 'good shot' compared to the alternate. Many of those 'tough shots' become bad shots.

This point is moot when Murray is scoring on that selection effeciently. Scores from "bad shots" are more valuable than scores from "good shots", This singular run he is not and the Nuggets are suffering accordingly. He was was very effecient in the two runs the nuggets made it past the second round.

The results are that the Nuggets jump significantly with Murray as a team, which is not true of all all-stars.

I'd suggest the fixation is not on scoring, rather than everything he doesn't do when he's not scoring, presence isn't simply enough from someone being touted as a perennial allstar snub and all nba level player. Personally I think those issues were well articulated in the above post, which have been long term criticisms of him coming and going, but also timely this playoffs series.

He does pretty much everything else to a level that is above average for a second option offensively. Not sure what you're expecting here.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#243 » by OhayoKD » Fri May 17, 2024 5:55 am

Peregrine01 wrote:
JimmyFromNz wrote:

I wouldn't agree he's outplayed Jokic at all, at any point. Has he hit incredible scoring streaks in the past, thanks largely to unsustainable shooting spurges fed by the underlying benefit of playing off Jokic, yes absolutely. The focus on 'tough shots' I understand, but at some point that needs to be balanced is it actually a 'good shot' compared to the alternate. Many of those 'tough shots' become bad shots. Sure that point tends to get lost amongst the glory of a midrange fadeaway over Anthony Davis to win a playoff game (ignoring the 18 prior missed shots), and I'm sure it will continue to be the next time he does it.

It can be funny to see some reach this far to prop up a player just to take down his teammate several pegs.

I think the seductive thing about a guy like Murray is that he can look like Curry when he's on with the off-the-dribble shot-making. But he's never had Curry's shooting consistency. And even beyond just shooting, he doesn't get to the rim like Curry, doesn't see the floor like him nor does he have the motor like Curry to constantly stress defenses when he doesn't have the ball. So when his shot is off, he's really not adding much on either end of the floor. And in even worse situations like these playoffs, he can be a decisive net negative because he has the Kobe-mentality of shooting himself out of slumps.

The conventional thought is that Murray/Jokic is the best duo in the league when I'd argue it's not even the best duo on this team which IMO is AG/Jokic.

The bar for all star is Steph now?

You really love yapping.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,908

Post#244 » by Peregrine01 » Fri May 17, 2024 5:58 am

I said that he can look like Steph when he’s on. Can you read or are you just looking to argue?

And also: Jokic gets targeted cause Bron and AD run pick and roll? Like they don’t do that against every team they play against? Does AD get targeted because Steph and Draymond run pick and roll on him?

You’re just a joke of a poster.

Edit: Wait, why are you off my ignore? Back you go.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#245 » by OhayoKD » Fri May 17, 2024 6:20 am

Peregrine01 wrote:I said that he can look like Steph when he’s on. Can you read or are you just looking to argue?

*Yawn:

You dropped a wall of text with basically no relevance after claiming "some" are reaching when they point out basketball things you have no response for. AKA, "yapping".

Just like you went on some tirade about how impact isn't perfect after claiming bad team -> inflates impact in a thead about a player whose impact numbers plummeted when the team bottomed out.

Just like how you used KG not leading a top 5 defense before thibs is proof he's a coaching merchant but weren't willing to apply that same bar to Jordan and Jackson.

Just like how you brought up the offensive-rating splits Jokic had in the 2022 playoffs even though the overall splits have him as a negative.

You just say things to say things. This thread is filled with it. Case in point:
And also: Jokic gets targeted cause Bron and AD run pick and roll? Like they don’t do that against every team they play against? Does AD get targeted because Steph and Draymond run pick and roll on him?

The Lakers **** up the Nuggets by putting Dwight on Jokic and abusing his lack of hops. Also, last I checked, AD was not giving up the highest opposing fg% in the league.

You’re just a joke of a poster.

And you still haven't made a single serious point.
Special_Puppy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,114

Post#246 » by Special_Puppy » Fri May 17, 2024 5:58 pm

I don't think we can have a serious discussion if you are arguing that Jokic's supporting cast in 2024 is superior to LeBron's in 2016 especially given how Murray appears absolutely hobbled by injuries at the moment
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 6,051

Post#247 » by falcolombardi » Fri May 17, 2024 7:38 pm

Did someone compare 2024 jokic supporting cast to 2009 lebron support cast????!!!!!?????
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#248 » by OhayoKD » Fri May 17, 2024 7:44 pm

Special_Puppy wrote:I don't think we can have a serious discussion if you are arguing that Jokic's supporting cast in 2024 is superior to LeBron's in 2016 especially given how Murray appears absolutely hobbled by injuries at the moment

Let me know when you figure out defense is a thing.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,025

Post#249 » by One_and_Done » Fri May 17, 2024 10:22 pm

Special_Puppy wrote:I don't think we can have a serious discussion if you are arguing that Jokic's supporting cast in 2024 is superior to LeBron's in 2016 especially given how Murray appears absolutely hobbled by injuries at the moment

You're really overrating the 2016 Cavs support cast it sounds like. Love was constantly yanked for Tristan Thompson because he was a defensive liability. Kyrie is a good comp for Murray tbh, despite him struggling and being banged up now. You could maybe argue the Cavs were deeper I guess? I'm sceptical there's a big difference though. 2-5 I'd take Denver.

Is Kyrie, JR, Thompson and Love really supposed to be better than Murray, MPJ, Gordon and KCP? I can't see that at all.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
Special_Puppy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,114

Post#250 » by Special_Puppy » Sat May 18, 2024 3:17 am

One_and_Done wrote:

You're really overrating the 2016 Cavs support cast it sounds like. Love was constantly yanked for Tristan Thompson because he was a defensive liability. Kyrie is a good comp for Murray tbh, despite him struggling and being banged up now. You could maybe argue the Cavs were deeper I guess? I'm sceptical there's a big difference though. 2-5 I'd take Denver.

Is Kyrie, JR, Thompson and Love really supposed to be better than Murray, MPJ, Gordon and KCP? I can't see that at all.

'I'd say that the 2016 Cavs 2-5 are a hair better than the 2024 Nuggets 2-5 normally but the current state of Murray makes it more decisive in favor of the Cavs
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#251 » by OhayoKD » Sat May 18, 2024 8:13 am

Special_Puppy wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:

'I'd say that the 2016 Cavs 2-5 are a hair better than the 2024 Nuggets 2-5 normally but the current state of Murray makes it more decisive in favor of the Cavs

This is not a real conversation unless you think defense isn't a thing
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,025

Post#252 » by One_and_Done » Sat May 18, 2024 8:23 am

That aside, Lebron was playing the Warriors, a far better team than any Denver has had to face the last 2 years.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
Heej
General Manager
And1: 9,032

Post#253 » by Heej » Sat May 18, 2024 12:13 pm

Special_Puppy wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:

I love that Cavs team to death but 3-5 i think the nuggets clearly wash. AG, KCP, MPJ absolutely clear Love, JR, and TT. The Cavs win at 1,2,6,7. LeBron, Kyrie, RJ, and Shump are all better than their counterparts in Jokic, Murray, Braun, and Watson

Fun fact, few understand this but Cavs easily win in 6 if Dellavedova didn't endure what was essentially a career ending ankle tear stepping on Lowry's foot in the series before. He was arguably the best backup PG in the league when he ran the bench lineup with LeBron at the 4. And he routinely outplayed Kyrie in games that postseason due to his 2-way prowess as a spot up shooter, defensive ability, and PnR chemistry handling with LeBron as a roller. Was never the same after that injury.

LeBron produced the best 2-way series in NBA history that season. It's simply not fair to compare joker to that lol.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#254 » by OhayoKD » Sat May 18, 2024 2:04 pm

Heej wrote:
Special_Puppy wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:You're really overrating the 2016 Cavs support cast it sounds like. Love was constantly yanked for Tristan Thompson because he was a defensive liability. Kyrie is a good comp for Murray tbh, despite him struggling and being banged up now. You could maybe argue the Cavs were deeper I guess? I'm sceptical there's a big difference though. 2-5 I'd take Denver.

I love that Cavs team to death but 3-5 i think the nuggets clearly wash. AG, KCP, MPJ absolutely clear Love, JR, and TT. The Cavs win at 1,2,6,7. LeBron, Kyrie, RJ, and Shump are all better than their counterparts in Jokic, Murray, Braun, and Watson

Fun fact, few understand this but Cavs easily win in 6 if Dellavedova didn't endure what was essentially a career ending ankle tear stepping on Lowry's foot in the series before. He was arguably the best backup PG in the league when he ran the bench lineup with LeBron at the 4. And he routinely outplayed Kyrie in games that postseason due to his 2-way prowess as a spot up shooter, defensive ability, and PnR chemistry handling with LeBron as a roller. Was never the same after that injury.

LeBron produced the best 2-way series in NBA history that season. It's simply not fair to compare joker to that lol.

Reminder:
Let's start with 2015. To set the table, the lebron-less cavs with kyrie and love are a bad defense and average offense if you go by net-rating(-1.73 overall, 30ish wins). This is also true in 2016(-1.7), 2017(-2.81) which adds up to -1.99 for all 3-seasons. Without any of the 3, the cavs are -14.62.

With Lebron and no kyrie or love, the Cavs are +6.79. With all 3 they're +10.76(PBPstats). with both and without both Lebron looks historically valuable.

But maybe this is just a matter of wonky lineups/rotations? Well, we can then look at WOWY, only including games where the Cavaliers knew they'd be playing without Lebron. In 2015 they were 3-10 without Lebron. Extending our sample the Cavs out to 2017 and the Cavs were 4-23. In games without Lebron and with Kyrie and Love, the cavs were 4-11, a 21-win pace.

This is the team people ae arguing was so much better than the Nuggets it was "not a serious discussion".
Heej
General Manager
And1: 9,032

Post#255 » by Heej » Sat May 18, 2024 2:46 pm

OhayoKD wrote:
Heej wrote:
Special_Puppy wrote:

Reminder:
Let's start with 2015. To set the table, the lebron-less cavs with kyrie and love are a bad defense and average offense if you go by net-rating(-1.73 overall, 30ish wins). This is also true in 2016(-1.7), 2017(-2.81) which adds up to -1.99 for all 3-seasons. Without any of the 3, the cavs are -14.62.

With Lebron and no kyrie or love, the Cavs are +6.79. With all 3 they're +10.76(PBPstats). with both and without both Lebron looks historically valuable.

But maybe this is just a matter of wonky lineups/rotations? Well, we can then look at WOWY, only including games where the Cavaliers knew they'd be playing without Lebron. In 2015 they were 3-10 without Lebron. Extending our sample the Cavs out to 2017 and the Cavs were 4-23. In games without Lebron and with Kyrie and Love, the cavs were 4-11, a 21-win pace.

This is the team people ae arguing was so much better than the Nuggets it was "not a serious discussion".

Guess no one wants to acknowledge that Aaron Gordon is basically a better version of Warriors Iguodala that can also play backup 5.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,158

Post#256 » by rk2023 » Sat May 18, 2024 6:45 pm

Just make a 16/17 LeBron vs 23/24 thread for ****’s sake, the player in comparison here is 2004 Kevin Garnett
Mogspan wrote:I think they see the super rare combo of high IQ with freakish athleticism and overrate the former a bit, kind of like a hot girl who is rather articulate being thought of as “super smart.” I don’t know kind of a weird analogy, but you catch my drift.

Return to Player Comparisons