4. Ben Wallace
5. Nate Thurmond

HM: Young Tim Duncan
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Re: Who are the 5 best defenders of Jokic 

Post#22 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Fri Mar 8, 2024 4:53 pm

70sFan wrote:You need size against Jokic, I think Marc Gasol would be a perfect option on him a few years ago. Right now, Lopez is a good option. Rudy as well, though Rudy can be pushed around. I think Embiid could do well also, but Embiid usually don't guard the best offensive players.

I need a man that is very big when Jokic tries to score inside or offensive rebound and then I want a quick center for Jokic’s outside shooting, meandering slow drives, mid range pull-up shots, and his ball handling/passing, and then I want a defensively smart center for Jokics offensive skill and basketball IQ.

Who is a big, fast, mobile, smart, motivated defensive center? Wemby might becomethe best defender of Jokic after Wemby gets more experience.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,481

Post#23 » by Woodsanity » Fri Mar 8, 2024 5:29 pm

I know the top 3 defenders.
Ref number 1, Ref number 2 and Ref number 3.

Best way to defend him is if you are allowed to get away with hacking the crap out of his while not getting fouls called.
UglyBugBall wrote:Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work.
To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him.

:lol:
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,647

Post#24 » by 70sFan » Fri Mar 8, 2024 5:33 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
70sFan wrote:You need size against Jokic, I think Marc Gasol would be a perfect option on him a few years ago. Right now, Lopez is a good option. Rudy as well, though Rudy can be pushed around. I think Embiid could do well also, but Embiid usually don't guard the best offensive players.

I need a man that is very big when Jokic tries to score inside or offensive rebound and then I want a quick center for Jokic’s outside shooting, meandering slow drives, mid range pull-up shots, and his ball handling/passing, and then I want a defensively smart center for Jokics offensive skill and basketball IQ.

Who is a big, fast, mobile, smart, motivated defensive center? Wemby might becomethe best defender of Jokic after Wemby gets more experience.

Wemby doesn't have the frame to do that.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,908

Post#25 » by Peregrine01 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 5:49 pm

70sFan wrote:

Yeah, you need a guy who has a little heft in the ass to be the primary guy on Jokic while having length on the back side. Minny clearly had that in mind when they traded for Gobert and I think they clearly built their team with Denver in mind. Too bad KAT got hurt though.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,569

Post#26 » by PistolPeteJR » Fri Mar 8, 2024 6:58 pm

Nate Thurmond is THE answer btw if we're looking at all of history, in my opinion.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#27 » by 70sFan » Fri Mar 8, 2024 7:47 pm

PistolPeteJR wrote:Nate Thurmond is THE answer btw if we're looking at all of history, in my opinion.

Yeah, that's the best choice imaginable.
Manimal
Starter
And1: 1,781

Post#28 » by Manimal » Fri Mar 8, 2024 11:03 pm

Jokic always struggled heavily against Robert Williams. That's why even though Boston is a better team now since the trades, I actually like the matchup a little better for the Nuggets than before.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Post#29 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Mar 9, 2024 1:43 am

70sFan wrote:

Maybe Wemby can get some heft in 3 years.
Maybe Wemby should ask LeBron to introduce him to LeBron’s supplement dealer.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#30 » by 70sFan » Sat Mar 9, 2024 7:04 am

70sFan wrote:

LeBron as a teenager had a frame of full grown man who was heftier than 90% of the league (at the time when players wanted to be bulky). It's not about any supplements, Wemby doesn't have the frame to do that.
PooledSilver
Sophomore
And1: 123

Post#31 » by PooledSilver » Sat Mar 9, 2024 8:28 am

70sFan wrote:
70sFan wrote:Wemby doesn't have the frame to do that.

LeBron as a teenager had a frame of full grown man who was heftier than 90% of the league (at the time when players wanted to be bulky). It's not about any supplements, Wemby doesn't have the frame to do that.

“Supplements”
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,206

Post#32 » by cupcakesnake » Sat Mar 9, 2024 5:21 pm

There is no such thing as a "defender of Jokic". Jokic requires 2 bigs. One to body him and prevent deep position, a second to help. We all famously saw that little stretch of PJ Tucker and Embiid, and then in the playoffs people had tiny stretches of duplicating that in the playoffs (Lakers trying Rui/Lebron with AD in help). Those options aren't sustainable in smaller samples. Jokic will score all over that smaller defender if you give him that consistent look. He doesn't need deep post position, he'll just take it if you give it to him.

So ideally you need two guys Jokic's height or taller, one of them big enough to body Jokic, and a second with all-time great length and vertical contest ability. The only team that has that is Minnesota with Towns and Gobert. That tandem held him to 26ppg on 57.5ts% in 37mpg. He looked noticeably uncomfortable shooting and missed a lot of shots we never see Jokic miss. Jokic shot 65%ts for the rest of the playoffs.

It's a small sample size. We saw them hand Jokic one of his worst games of the year early in the season (25 points on 52%ts and only 3 assists in a 21 point loss). They're about to play a more to end the season, but it will be without Towns so we won't get more data on this intriguing matchup or watch Jokic try to solve it.

If there's a finals matchup against Boston, it could be very fun to watch Horford/Porzingis give it a try. Milwaukee with Brook as the body and Giannis as the roamer. The theory of OG Anunoby and a healthy Mitchell Robinson (with Hartenstein) is intriguing, as OG has had some cool moments frustrating Jokic (he's the best possible version of what Rui/Lebron/Tucker have done in the past). Healthy Embiid with Batum/Covington though I can't tell what's left in the tank from those defenders. Obviously Cleveland, but those are some skinny boys.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,206

Post#33 » by cupcakesnake » Sat Mar 9, 2024 5:30 pm

70sFan wrote:
70sFan wrote:Wemby doesn't have the frame to do that.

Lebron really was shockingly heavy from the get go. 245 pounds as an 18-year-old. It's not like he looked bulky back then. Super in shape but I think of rookie Lebron drowning in his baggy jersey. I remember reading the measurements that draft year and thinking "wait... what?" He's almost the same weight as Chris Kaman? He's over 10lbs. heavier than Carmelo?

The other guy in this category is Andre Drummond, who weighed in at 278lbs. as a muscly but gangly rookie. It's just an insane amount of muscle mass.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,590

Post#34 » by GSP » Fri May 17, 2024 3:59 am

GSP wrote:Strange this was made after a Warriors game.......They could never guard Jokic even before he became Mvp and hes always abused Draymond too. Draymond can force turnovers, get in his passes thats about it. 0 chance to do anything w/ his scoring, shooting or rebounding

Imo

Zubac
Brook
Rudy
Kat shockingly defends him well
Sengun

Heej
General Manager
And1: 9,032

Post#35 » by Heej » Fri May 17, 2024 4:31 am

PistolPeteJR wrote:Nate Thurmond is THE answer btw if we're looking at all of history, in my opinion.

Dwight and Tim give him a good run for his money in this matchup imo. Dwight in particular doesn't get enough love. He's the worst defensive matchup possible. Stronger, quicker, and longer. Dwight has that Tony Allen/Jordan/Kawhi type of sinewy strength where their bones and tendons seem denser than normal except he's built like that as a full sized center.

Going into his chest legitimately injures people and Dwight had some of the quickest feet all time for a C. Not to mention a great wingspan for his size and incredible hands+anticipation. Give healthy Dwight some respect honestly.

Timmy probably the one guy I can see who cognitively would be able to discern what Jokic actually wants to get to quickly enough to keep up while having a good matchup build with adequate lower body strength, agility, and dexterity.

I've seen 70sFan's highlights of Nate Thurmond on defense though man...that dude's fluidity and agility pops off the f***in screen. I personally like those two as a comparison, especially Dwight.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,801

Post#36 » by homecourtloss » Fri May 17, 2024 1:29 pm

Absolutely wild that the best defender of Jokic these last two playoffs has been KAT of all people. There’s been some good help defense and Jokic has missed some threes with some decent KAT contests, but still strange to see KAT that effective,
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
Heej
General Manager
And1: 9,032

Post#37 » by Heej » Fri May 17, 2024 3:09 pm

homecourtloss wrote:Absolutely wild that the best defender of Jokic these last two playoffs has been KAT of all people. There’s been some good help defense and Jokic has missed some threes with some decent KAT contests, but still strange to see KAT that effective,

It's always been my thought that vs inside scoring types (guys who like to either post up or drive for buckets) their worst defensive matchups are smaller folks who are quick and strong and can shut off their angles. Think Iggy on LeBron winning a lot of leverage battles

Vs outside scoring types (guys that like to get their buckets out of mid-range and 3s) their worst matchups are guys who are long and quick. Think AK47 guarding Kobe back in the day or how TMac used to lock up Dirk.

KAT fits the former where he's got a lower center of gravity but quick and strong enough to bother Jokic on his drives and post ups. It's pretty interesting that the original Minny #1 prospects in Wiggins and KAT ended up carving out roles for themselves as second options who strap up star players.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,801

Post#38 » by homecourtloss » Sat May 18, 2024 2:13 am

Heej wrote:
homecourtloss wrote:Absolutely wild that the best defender of Jokic these last two playoffs has been KAT of all people. There’s been some good help defense and Jokic has missed some threes with some decent KAT contests, but still strange to see KAT that effective,

It's always been my thought that vs inside scoring types (guys who like to either post up or drive for buckets) their worst defensive matchups are smaller folks who are quick and strong and can shut off their angles. Think Iggy on LeBron winning a lot of leverage battles

Vs outside scoring types (guys that like to get their buckets out of mid-range and 3s) their worst matchups are guys who are long and quick. Think AK47 guarding Kobe back in the day or how TMac used to lock up Dirk.

KAT fits the former where he's got a lower center of gravity but quick and strong enough to bother Jokic on his drives and post ups. It's pretty interesting that the original Minny #1 prospects in Wiggins and KAT ended up carving out roles for themselves as second options who strap up star players.

Good stuff. It also goes to show you that some of the defenders today, especially big man defenders, who are considered not very good because they can’t make rotations quick enough, would be much better defenders in the ‘90s in the ‘80s when they wouldn’t have to make the type of rotations that they do today, nor would they have to go defend out in space the way they have to do today.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…

Return to Player Comparisons