ECF Game 1 Thread: Pistons vs. Celtics

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Pistons Vs. Celtics, Who ya got?

Pistons in 4
8%
Pistons in 5
10%
Pistons in 7
13%
Celtics in 4
9%
Celtics in 5
7%
Celtics in 6
20%
Celtics in 7
18%
NO-KG-AI FTW
15%

Total votes: 112

Dtown84
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#121 » by Dtown84 » Tue May 20, 2008 6:09 am

At this point in the season everyone should know the experts are talking mostly from their ass. Its nice when they pick your team, but it doesn't mean anything.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,813

Post#122 » by zeebneeb » Tue May 20, 2008 6:27 am

greenbeans wrote:Joe Johnson>Sheed and Chauncey as a star taking over games

Man_Up
Senior
And1: 1

Post#123 » by Man_Up » Tue May 20, 2008 6:34 am

BDM22 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Sheed has historically played KG well when they face each other, so I'm not sure where you get that from. He plays with much more focus against guys like Duncan and KG. It's Pierce that is the Celtics biggest advantage. He has always given Tayshaun fits.

That's what I thought. People seem to have the idea that Prince can shut down Pierce. I don't know where that idea came from, but i think they're giving Pierce to little credit and Prince too much.

I'm not sure if Pierce ever gave Prince fits, but i'm pretty sure Prince never gave Pierce problems. I'm not gonna check, but i'm pretty sure the numbers will support what i'm saying. Back in the day when Pierce used to carry the C's you could expect 26/6/4 when we played the Pistons.

Actually Pierce once called Prince an over-rated defender. I think it was disrespectful, but Pierce said what he said. I believe Pierce can go against Prince, and I'm pretty sure Pierce does as well.

As for the other match-ups.

Rondo vs. Billups. people say Rondo can't defend Billups, but Billups can't defend Rondo either. He's not quick enough to defend Rondo the same way Rondo's not big enough to defend him.

Ray vs. Hamilton. I think Hamilton has the edge even if Ray does wake up, but If Ray does wake up it won't be much of a difference.

Pierce vs. Prince. I don't believe Prince can shutdown Pierce, but i do believe Pierce can shut down Prince. I think Pierce's defense on Prince might be a bigger factor than Prince's defense on Pierce.

Garnett vs. Wallace. Don't know there history, but I'd say it's a wash. (Even though Garnett won in the regular season.)

Perkins vs. McDyss. McDyss wins this one out just because of he can score Perkins can't.

Bench
Celtics are deceptively deep. Only Pruitt, Scalabrine, and Pollard are non-contributors.
Bench

Detroit Deep nothing deceptive about it.
Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
wigglestrue
RealGM
And1: 170

Post#124 » by wigglestrue » Tue May 20, 2008 7:25 am

But if the Pistons punish him for being the under-sized hack that he is, the Celtic will struggle. I don't know how many games he always seems to get easy buckets in the paint.

Rondo is an under-sized hack? WTF? :rofl:
0:01.8 A. Walker makes 3-pt shot from 28 ft (assist by E. Williams) +3 109-108
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_9qvmXiEuU
mr_sunshine
Assistant Coach
And1: 482

Post#125 » by mr_sunshine » Tue May 20, 2008 9:01 am

wigglestrue wrote:
But if the Pistons punish him for being the under-sized hack that he is, the Celtic will struggle. I don't know how many games he always seems to get easy buckets in the paint.

Rondo is an under-sized hack? WTF? :rofl:

Maybe it's because Rondo is fast? I dunno. What the hell does height and weight have to do with scoring? And besides that Rondo, Parker, and Paul are all roughly the same height and weight, and Rondo most likely has a bigger wingspan than the other two.
nightstarstolen
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#126 » by nightstarstolen » Tue May 20, 2008 12:54 pm

Rondo is a defensive pg. He will neutralize Billups to 40%.

KG is a shut down defender, DPOY, and will shut down Wallace.

So you have 1 star, in Hamilton that can step up and get things done.

Prince is not a better defender than LEbron, and wont force Pierce to defend him as much either.

Ray may still be innefective.

KG will score 20/10 consistantly..

Rondo will get 10 pts easy on Billups /game

It comes down to the benches. Last time Big BAby took over and dominated the Pistons.....
Serpo
Veteran

Post#127 » by Serpo » Tue May 20, 2008 1:15 pm

nightstarstolen wrote:Rondo is a defensive pg. He will neutralize Billups to 40%.

KG is a shut down defender, DPOY, and will shut down Wallace.

So you have 1 star, in Hamilton that can step up and get things done.

Prince is not a better defender than LEbron, and wont force Pierce to defend him as much either.

Ray may still be innefective.

KG will score 20/10 consistantly..

Rondo will get 10 pts easy on Billups /game

It comes down to the benches. Last time Big BAby took over and dominated the Pistons.....

:crazy: :crazy:

Rondo couldn't control Delonte freaking West how in the world will he do that with Billups ?

KG and Sheed should neutralize themselves quite a bit both are great defenders but have both have unblockable turnaround jumpers .

Hamilton will eat Ray Allen when he's playing like that. I mean Wally Sczerbiak defended Ray and he didn't do anything ....

And Prince is a better defender then Lebron thats not even a quetion.
Pierce struggled because he had to guard Lebron in all of the games besides game 7 and if you guard this guy you won't have much energy left for offense.
Grey
Rookie
And1: 4

Post#128 » by Grey » Tue May 20, 2008 1:50 pm

Rasheeed!!! wrote:The "experts" have picked Detroit 6-4, the ESPN poll says Boston 59% Detroit 41%, and Sportingbet has Boston as favourites.

ESPN's poll currently has the Pistons favored 57% to 43%. I think you were looking at the AccuScore box which applies only to Game 1, and isn't a poll.
Deus
Veteran
And1: 149

Post#129 » by Deus » Tue May 20, 2008 2:47 pm

As an unbiased Mavs fan I'll give my opinion of the Boston-Det series:

Guards. Bullips and Hamilton vs. Rondo and Allen
Ray Allen has been playing like an old woman lately and won't be able to guard Hamilton one on one. The Rondo-Bullips matchup is pretty even though. I think Bullips is starting too get old and worn down. This may be his last good season as a player.

Forwards. Prince and McDyess vs. Pierce and Garnett
A lot of Celtic fans are going to say this is a clear mis-match and that they have two HOFer's that will wipe the floor with Tey and Ant. They are wrong. Prince is vastly under-rated and never gets his due as one of the best small forwards in the league. McDyess is getting old yes, and will probably not see much playing time, so Garnett should dominate him.

Center. Wallace vs. Perkins
Here is where the fit hits the shan in the series. Rasheed Wallace is far superior to Perkins. He will take him down low, he will take him up high. He will take him whenever he wants.

Intangibles
The Pistons also have the experience have having played together now for (what is it now?) 4-5 years. The also have the better bench, IMO. The only real advantage the Celtics have is home court. And if the Pistons can win game 1 or game 2, it might be over in 5.

Pistons in 6.
Rasheeed!!!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,507

Post#130 » by Rasheeed!!! » Tue May 20, 2008 3:09 pm

1. Billups just had his best season
2. Pierce v Prince is a clear mis-match
3. McDyess will see plenty of PT
4. Sheed & KG will see plenty of each other
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,197

Post#131 » by LAKESHOW » Tue May 20, 2008 3:28 pm

its the ratings killer spurs vs. detroit.

OR THE RATINGS BLOCKBUSTER! LAKERS VS. CELTICS!
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
ADM
Rookie

Post#132 » by ADM » Tue May 20, 2008 3:34 pm

I can't believe I'm saying it, but Pistons in 6. I think they actually have the fire this time. This is, of course, assuming that Chauncey is healthy and effective. If not, Boston in 6.
Serpo
Veteran

Post#133 » by Serpo » Tue May 20, 2008 3:37 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:its the ratings killer spurs vs. detroit.

The Celtics play the ugliest basketball of all teams left they should be a ratings killer ...
Dtown84
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#134 » by Dtown84 » Tue May 20, 2008 4:19 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:its the ratings killer spurs vs. detroit.

What the hell is this a tag team match, there are two other finals match ups you know :lol:
Basileus777
General Manager
And1: 2,031

Post#135 » by Basileus777 » Tue May 20, 2008 4:31 pm

I think the biggest question is how Boston will be able to handle the size of Detroit's backcourt. Detroit has two clear mismatches against Rondo and Allen. If Billups and Rip both play well, I find it hard to see Detroit losing this series.
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Post#136 » by Celtsfan1980 » Tue May 20, 2008 5:36 pm

Serpo wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The Celtics play the ugliest basketball of all teams left they should be a ratings killer ...

Are you serious? Is it any surprise that the ratings increase greatly the year Boston becomes relevent even with a ref scandal? A close Celtics-Lakers series will perform far better in the ratings than any other series that can occur.
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Post#137 » by Celtsfan1980 » Tue May 20, 2008 5:42 pm

I saw a Laker fan who claimed Odom is better than Pierce(LOL) and now a Pistons fan is claiming Prince is equal to Pierce. Pierce is definitely a very underrated player.

I'm not good with predictions. The Billups-Rondo matchup may be a mismatch one way, but Rondo's speed will certainly give Billups problems as it has in the past. Hamilton was put on Rondo, and we all saw what happened there. Pretty much the same results. It will definitely be an important matchup. I'm hoping for a good defensive series, and hopefully the officiating will be good and the fans can get along for the most part. If Ray Allen plays like he is capable of, the Celtics in 6. Otherwise, the Pistons in 5.
JR_MSU01
Ballboy

Post#138 » by JR_MSU01 » Tue May 20, 2008 5:46 pm

As a Detroit fan, I think a lot of people are over rating billups in the PG matchup. Yea, he is better than Rando, but I am not sure that this is a huge advantage.

The Rip/Ray matchup is a big advantage for Detroit. Ray is a shell of his former self, and Rip is really playing well.

PP/TP is an edge to Boston. Prince may be Detroits best player through the playoffs so far. But I just think that Pierce is elite. Like PP is a top 5 SF and TP is a top 10 SF. Good matchup though.

KG/Sheed - Great matchup! may be the closest to call of all of them. Once again, I think that boston has the edge, but it is VERY close.

Dice/Perkins - Eh, Dice has been playing ok, and I think that Perk is a decent young big man. I guess I would give the edge to Detroit... maybe it's a wash... it's close.

Bench: I like the PJ, Powe and Posey... I just think that I like Stuck, Ratlif and Max better. I actually think that Boston has more "usable" depth (I want no part of seeing Herman/Hunter/Hayes on the floor.) But talent-wise, Detroit has the edge.

Coaching: Ugh... I can't belive I am typing this... Flip has the edge. He actually did a really good job of rotating players last series... especially with Billups out. Wow... won't say that again...

With all that said... Det in 6.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,005

Post#139 » by BDM22 » Tue May 20, 2008 6:10 pm

Celtsfan1980 wrote:I saw a Laker fan who claimed Odom is better than Pierce(LOL) and now a Pistons fan is claiming Prince is equal to Pierce. Pierce is definitely a very underrated player.

Comparing Prince/Odom to Pierce is just as bad if not worse than comparing Rondo to Billups like many Celtics homers have around here. Rondo has put up his share of points, and will continue to do so, but that's because no one guards him. He's almost almost always the guy you double off of to send another defender towards KG/Pierce. And that's just in terms of scoring. Let's not even get into comparing Rondo/Billups as playmakers and leaders.
Serpo
Veteran

Post#140 » by Serpo » Tue May 20, 2008 6:15 pm

Celtsfan1980 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Are you serious? Is it any surprise that the ratings increase greatly the year Boston becomes relevent even with a ref scandal? A close Celtics-Lakers series will perform far better in the ratings than any other series that can occur.

Yes i am serious they are no fun to watch at all . They had there chance in the first two rounds but now i'm rooting against them because they bored the hell out of me in these rounds.

Return to The General Board