Official NBA Referee "Bashing" Thread

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

aikgtd
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#121 » by aikgtd » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:38 am

I watch several games all year long. There are far too many players who complain about calls/no calls. I actually think that there is no one player who complains more than another. I honestly don't like it when players complain about the obvious calls. Also, I'm not going to dislike any player just because they whine. yes, it is a negative but I'm not going to base my opinion on that particular player just solely on that. Lets also face it...you are never going to see any league NFL, MLB, NBA, etc...be 100% accurate officiating. Believe me, I get pissed off at several bad calls or even the no calls but like I said, its pretty much impossible to see a perfect officiated game.

Thanks 'Magz50'
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#122 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:24 pm

The Refs sucked in the Wizards vs Cavs game 1
Texas Longhorns
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#123 » by Texas Longhorns » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:22 pm

TheKingOfVa360 wrote:The Refs sucked in the Wizards vs Cavs game 1

That wasn't the reason why the Wizards lost though.
- Vince Young - Kevin Durant - LaMarcus Aldrige - T.J. Ford - D.J. Augustin
Wade2k6
RealGM
And1: 77

Post#124 » by Wade2k6 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:13 am

aikgtd wrote:I watch several games all year long. There are far too many players who complain about calls/no calls. I actually think that there is no one player who complains more than another. I honestly don't like it when players complain about the obvious calls. Also, I'm not going to dislike any player just because they whine. yes, it is a negative but I'm not going to base my opinion on that particular player just solely on that. Lets also face it...you are never going to see any league NFL, MLB, NBA, etc...be 100% accurate officiating. Believe me, I get pissed off at several bad calls or even the no calls but like I said, its pretty much impossible to see a perfect officiated game.
I agree

I'd much rather have the NBA be played and ref'ed like college during March Madness. Calls are given to the superstar players, but not nearly as much as in the NBA, it's moreso just giving the college superstars the benefit of the doubt most times. The NBA is just ridiculous and it gets annoying to watch come playoff time. If they're going to give alot of fouls, fine, but don't have the players complain and dictate the refs calls.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,071

Post#125 » by queridiculo » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:42 am

aikgtd wrote:I watch several games all year long. There are far too many players who complain about calls/no calls. I actually think that there is no one player who complains more than another. I honestly don't like it when players complain about the obvious calls. Also, I'm not going to dislike any player just because they whine. yes, it is a negative but I'm not going to base my opinion on that particular player just solely on that. Lets also face it...you are never going to see any league NFL, MLB, NBA, etc...be 100% accurate officiating. Believe me, I get pissed off at several bad calls or even the no calls but like I said, its pretty much impossible to see a perfect officiated game.

I've mentioned this to my friend while watching the game. Not only does the constant whining and complaining set a bad example for kids, it's just plain annoying to witness game in and game out.

The NBA should grow a pair and institute a clear you complain you get a T policy. Let the team captains talk to the refs, but this constant whining is making it extremely hard to watch.
~OhMyBosh~
Freshman

Post#126 » by ~OhMyBosh~ » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:31 am

I think the players wouldn't complain so much if the refs didn't suck so much. I really think I could call a better game than most of the refs. I usually tivo games so I can ff through commercials and also rewind when it looks like a bs call and I just hate how guards throw their bodies into guys underneath the basket and get calls almost every time. It's like the defender has to try to duck and dodge players that are always lunging themselves at them. Iverson is the worst. Arenas does it alot too.
UDRIH14
General Manager
And1: 662

Post#127 » by UDRIH14 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:01 am

a wade fan calling out tim duncan?

hows the fishing?
AJ:"I'm Western Conference," he said. "I'm Popovich. I'm for him, for Texas and for the Spurs."
tha_rock220
General Manager
And1: 564

Post#128 » by tha_rock220 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:14 am

I just wish the NBA would make referees accountable for their actions. Refs make bad calls, and they know they were bad, but still get all pissy if a player gets mad at them. Nick Van Exel pushed a referee onto a scorer's table once and was my hero for it. It's too bad more players won't grow a pair and make the refs actually call the game right.
some_rand
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#129 » by some_rand » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:33 am

CzBoobie
Assistant Coach
And1: 409

Post#130 » by CzBoobie » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:47 am

some_rand wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF78m_fTm14

how is this not a travel

Are you kidding me? Yeah, LeBron and Big Z travel sometimes, but this wasn't the case...

Btw, Antonio Daniels took like four steps without dribble in the first half, no whistle, too bad for him he was denied by the KING right after...
JStockLivesOn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#131 » by JStockLivesOn » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:50 am

Wade2k6 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I agree

I'd much rather have the NBA be played and ref'ed like college during March Madness. Calls are given to the superstar players, but not nearly as much as in the NBA, it's moreso just giving the college superstars the benefit of the doubt most times. The NBA is just ridiculous and it gets annoying to watch come playoff time. If they're going to give alot of fouls, fine, but don't have the players complain and dictate the refs calls.

Not trying to be a smartass here, but does that include the insane amount of calls Wade gets? If so, fair enough.
"Let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested, we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back nor did we falter."
Texas Longhorns
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#132 » by Texas Longhorns » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:11 pm

Wade gets his number of calls. I think the officiating has improved though since the "glory Wade" days.
- Vince Young - Kevin Durant - LaMarcus Aldrige - T.J. Ford - D.J. Augustin
some_rand
Banned User

Post#133 » by some_rand » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:12 pm

CzBron wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Are you kidding me? Yeah, LeBron and Big Z travel sometimes, but this wasn't the case...

Btw, Antonio Daniels took like four steps without dribble in the first half, no whistle, too bad for him he was denied by the KING right after...
he clearly takes 3 steps...
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#134 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:36 pm

how is this not a travel

It's a clear cut travel, he took 3 long steps. Lebron travels about 5 times per game. Same for Big Z.
Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#135 » by Death Knight » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:47 pm

how is this not a travel

Counting down the steps.....1,2,3.

But hey, it's Lebron. I saw him catch a pass on the break and take 3 steps before he put the ball on the floor in one of the highlight plays I remember from last season. That is 2 steps more than you are allowed before putting the ball on the floor.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 107

Post#136 » by W. Unseld » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:21 pm

hermitkid wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
Not only does the constant whining and complaining set a bad example for kids, it's just plain annoying to witness game in and game out.
The NBA should grow a pair and institute a clear you complain you get a T policy. Let the team captains talk to the refs, but this constant whining is making it extremely hard to watch.

I'm curious if anyone disagrees with this, I think it makes perfect sense and would improve the entertainment value of the game and set a good example for the kids. The team captain(s) (no more than 2) are the only ones allowed to talk to the refs.

As for the refs sucking, I would imagine it would be hard as hell to ref an NBA game. On tv things look slower and clearer but when you watch live (especially w/good seats) you realize how much quicker the game is and how much more contact is actually taking place.
Philly Fresh
Senior

Post#137 » by Philly Fresh » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:24 pm

Lebron gets away with more travels than anyone in the league.
The play yesterday when he went through 3 Wiz defenders on a 1-on-3, and the commentators were saying how they should have fouled, I wonder how many people caught him on the travel...

EDIT: lol, the play I'm referring is to the youtube link in the above quote.
Kobay
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#138 » by Kobay » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:28 pm

LeBron traveled alot last night. I don't mind refs not calling it on break away but to split double teams, thats unfair. He is already unstoppable with his size, why give him the benefit of steps.
Sports Arsenal
Sixth Man
And1: 13

Post#139 » by Sports Arsenal » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:32 pm

The sad thing is that these refs have a hard enough time officiating this game, we all can admit that its not an easy game to officiate, yet the league is steadily modifying and adding new rules. How will they ever be able to be efficient at calling a game, if the game changes every year
CzBoobie
Assistant Coach
And1: 409

Post#140 » by CzBoobie » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:58 am

TheKingOfVa360 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It's a clear cut travel, he took 3 long steps. Lebron travels about 5 times per game. Same for Big Z.

Look at Arenas at the start of the vid before he is blocked, if you want to call travel on LeBron all the time, be fair and watch wiz players, too. Arenas also traveled, he made two steps and then landed on both feet, how is that possible?

Return to The General Board