Top 5 teams going nowhere..

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Top 5 teams going nowhere.. 

Post#1 » by HarlemHeat37 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:58 am

meaning teams that are just playing for nothing..they are average at best, but don't have a good sign for a good future..

1.Milwaukee Bucks
2.Philadelphia 76ers
3.Indiana Pacers
4.Sacramento Kings
5.Miami Heat

my reasoning..

the top 3 are average teams that are playing for an 8th spot, but shouldn't be..none of the 3 are bad enough to get a high draft pick..Philly has Iggy for the future, but he isn't a #1 option, and he doesn't seem like he wants to be there..Milwaukee and Indiana don't have anyone good enough to change their futures..they are just mediocre right now..

the Kings would definitely be a good team, definitely middle of the East if they were healthy and in that conference..but they play in the West, and they aren't really going anywhere in their current conference..outside of Artest who has an opt out, nothing significant is coming off next year..they're still going to have Thomas and SAR on the books..

I didn't include East teams like NJ, that are in the same situation as Sacramento, BECAUSE they play in the East, and have more assets..all 3 of NJ's big 3 is tradeable, but Sacto's main asset is Kevin Martin, and I can't see them trading him..nobody would be willing to make a big enough offer to pursuade them IMO..

Miami is getting a top 5 pick, and they have Dwyane Wade..but Shaq's contract is unmovable, and they don't have any other young assets..Wade is an injury risk as well, which is the main reason they are on my list..

the Knicks aren't on it for me, because they'll get a top 5 pick, and they can get rid of Rose and Marbury's contracts after next year..they have the chance to change their franchise around in a positive way..

who is the top 5 in your opinions?..
Boner Champ
Bench Warmer
And1: 8

Post#2 » by Boner Champ » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:53 am

This list starts and ends with the Knicks.

Other likely candidates are the Pacers and the Clippers (depending on Brand, Livingston, and whether or not Kaman can continue to contribute).

Chicago is a wildcard - they still have a lot of young talent, but if they don't right the ship soon, they could see Gordon & Deng leave in '09.
Wallace's contract is staggeringly bad. A lot depends on Thomas & Noah, too, who could explode or implode given both their potential and attitudes this year.

Miami should NOT be on that list. Wade is still a superstar, and they have a better shot to get one of Beasley, Rose or Mayo than they do to miss out on them right now. Superstars alone can attract players. JWill & Ricky Williams come off the books this year, and Miami will always be an attractive market to FAs. Plus, you never know who might want Shaq. His contract is only for a couple more years, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him restructure it to go for one or two more rings with a contender.
jeremy1215
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#3 » by jeremy1215 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:52 am

1. Clippers (Bad management, bad luck, injury prone)
2. Knicks (Bad management, selfish roster, no D, bad contracts)
3. Bucks (Bad contracts, bad management, no real building points)
4. Miami (Bad contracts, over the hill, bad coaching of late)
5. Nets (Kidd is old, no real players to build around for the future, not bad enough for a top pick)
TAI8
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#4 » by TAI8 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 am

I guess everyone here is a psychic huh?
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,272

Re: Top 5 teams going nowhere.. 

Post#5 » by tsherkin » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:00 am

HarlemHeat37 wrote:meaning teams that are just playing for nothing..they are average at best, but don't have a good sign for a good future..

1.Milwaukee Bucks
2.Philadelphia 76ers
3.Indiana Pacers
4.Sacramento Kings
5.Miami Heat

Really? You have Milwaukee there?

Yi is still a rookie and hasn't touched his potential, Bogut appears to be improving, Redd is DEFINITELY improving and they have some tradeable assets like Mo Williams (or they could, you know, keep him) and Desmond Mason and other such contracts. I mean, this is a REALLY bad selection.

Sacramento? Definite disagreement there, too. They have a young star in Martin and their big contracts are all gone after 09/10, so they have a GIGANTIC amount of cap flexibility in terms of expiring deals to be used in trades this and next season. John Salmons is looking good, Beno Udrih doesn't suck and they're probably going to add some lottery talent over the next couple of years. This is another bad addition.

And I disagree about Miami for the reasons mostly aforementioned; they have a superstar player and in two years, they won't know what to do with all their cap space, and they're going to get a top 4 or 5 pick in a good, top-heavy draft this year.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,591

Post#6 » by hermes » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:23 am

TAI8 wrote:I guess everyone here is a psychic huh?

apparently

i agree on the knicks though
Rooster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11

Post#7 » by Rooster » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:33 am

There is no way the Bucks should be here for the reasons tsherkin mentioned as well as the potential of Charlie.

When I saw the thread title I was thinking of teams I'd put in here, namely the Knicks and the Heat, but you know what? Thinking it through has made me realize that every team in the league is playing for something if you count a high draft pick as something. Now when a bad team trades away its pick we can talk...
Schadenfreude wrote:Not going to lie, if I found out that one of the seemingly illiterate morons we'd banned on the Raptors board was Primoz Brezec, it'd pretty much make my decade.
DBurks2818
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,054

Post#8 » by DBurks2818 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:08 am

Why is Miami on this list? They have a superstar, a top-5 pick, and 2-3 good young assets (Haslem, Cook, Wright). When you explained the others on the list, it made the decision to put the Heat here even more puzzling.
HarlemHeat37
Banned User

Post#9 » by HarlemHeat37 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:51 am

everyone is nitpicking too much..like Rooster said, everyone has something to play for, so to speak..but do they REALLY?..meaning will that team be a contender with the players they have on that team? and the assets they have on that team?..

I put Milwaukee on MY list, because I don't believe they have anything significant to ever contend..they aren't going to be getting any high picks right now, because they aren't a bad team..Redd is overrated, and doesn't play a team game from what I've seen, and from what many here that know the Bucks better than I do have said..Bogut-Redd isn't going to take you anywhere..their role players aren't good, and don't have any set roles to play on the team..

I guess they should be 3rd on my list, but I don't see a difference between them, Indiana or Philly..

like I said..Miami is on my list, because their superstar is an injury question mark, especially with his style of play..they have to deal with Shaq's contract, Ricky Davis, and other questionable players on the team..

everyone is looking at this with too much optimism for teams..of course we can nitpick and say everyone is playing for something, but that's impossible when you think about it..shouldn't teams be aiming to actually be contenders at some point in the near future?..
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#10 » by RJM » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:10 am

DBurks2818 wrote:Why is Miami on this list? They have a superstar, a top-5 pick, and 2-3 good young assets (Haslem, Cook, Wright). When you explained the others on the list, it made the decision to put the Heat here even more puzzling.

It's because THEY SUCK!
D-Wade
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#11 » by D-Wade » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:12 am

Am I the only one screaming INDIANA?

Seriously.

Jermaine O'Neal is on the steady decline and they don't have any SERIOUS young talent. Sure, Granger is talented -- but how talented? I mean, will he ever lead a team? I don't think so. Add to the fact that they won't see the upper portion of the lottery in this deep draft.
D-Wade
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#12 » by D-Wade » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:17 am

Iceburg Slim wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It's because THEY SUCK!

You do realize that this thread is about the future, right?
HarlemHeat37
Banned User

Post#13 » by HarlemHeat37 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:41 am

I actually meant it to be NOW and the future..
SabasRevenge!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#14 » by SabasRevenge! » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:56 am

IMO NY and Indiana would top this list. At least Indiana has Granger...
HarlemHeat37
Banned User

Post#15 » by HarlemHeat37 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:58 am

I would actually have to re-consider after looking at Indiana..they might be higher..
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#16 » by rsavaj » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:31 am

Add PHX to this list....their play versus Minny has been absolutely atrocious.
AKBlazerFan
Sixth Man
And1: 185

Post#17 » by AKBlazerFan » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:36 am

I think Milwaukee is a good example for what the OP is saying. Making the playoffs every year as the 7-8th seed and getting knocked out is going no where from a fans point of view.

I think Chicago, NY, Mil, Indy, Philly are a pretty good 5. I might get bashed for this, but i honestly think Houston is going no where as well. Tmac and Yao havent done **** in the playoffs, and they will be 7-8th seed or high lottery this year. Their dont really have a young stud type of guy. Tmac is always injured...I dont know, this is just my thought. I have nothing against Houston really...
WarFan
RealGM
And1: 1,484

Post#18 » by WarFan » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:18 am

Minnesota & New York - Neither team is going anywhere until they fire their GM's.

Indiana & Milwaukee - Both teams have too much long-term salary tied up in guys not worth their contracts. They both have some good prospects, but none that looks to become a franchise player and the teams on the floor aren't quite bad enough to get a good shot at a top pick. Neither franchise seems willing to attempt a true rebuild, even though it should be quick. I guess this is the curse of the small market team.

Denver - A lot of star power, but for one reason or another I wouldn't want most of these guys on my team. They're almost locked in to those players for the next few years and I don't see them ever getting past the second round.

Golden State - Everyone knows that small ball will never win.
Number34
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#19 » by Number34 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:10 am

I could see the knicks winning a title in maybe 2029.
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#20 » by Hendrix » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:37 am

Knicks have to top this list. They have no direction. They're a terrible team trying to make quick fixes to suck less.

Pacers- There star is getting worse, and his contract is looking pretty bad. They have no real good talent around him, but they are just good enough to get a mediocre pick.

Nets-They have talent, but it's getting old, doesn't seem to fit together, and they're getting worse every year. They need to either rebuild, or make a run. Right now they're wading in the waters of mediocrity.

Miluakee- They seem to want to have a fire sale, and build around Yi, and Bogut. Neither seems like a franchise player though. They have a long ways to go, but I don't see them getting any more high picks for a while, and I don't see them being a big force any time soon.

Cleveland-Odd pick. They have gone to the finals. They have one of the best players in the league. But I don't see them getting better with unmoveable contracts, and not very good players around LBJ. They are a very good team, but I think they are stuck where they are for a bit unable to aquire the right peices to make the next jump.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???

Return to The General Board