HoF Bound?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Are these guys going to the Hall?

1-Lowry
15%
2-DeRozan
10%
3-Love
13%
4-Horford
8%
5-Gobert
28%
6-Beal
No votes
7-Middleton
2%
8-LMA
7%
9-Igudala
10%
10-Other (I have Klay/DGreen as locks with their 4th title)
7%

Total votes: 229

pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,441

HoF Bound? 

Post#1 » by pipfan » Sun May 19, 2024 10:57 am

I post this every year. The only guy left in the the playoffs now in this discussion is Horford, whose role is diminished but a title would really help his case.

Which of these guys have done enough to enter the Hall? This is NOT about "should" they (we know the standards are low) but WILL they.

Remember, international ball, college and Olympics all can help a case. This is for older guys, near the end of their careers. OF COURSE, lots of younger guys are on clear paths to make it.

I have DeRozan as a for sure year, Lowry and Gobert as probably and a maybe for Love and Horford
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,841

Re: HoF Bound? 

Post#2 » by rapstarter » Sun May 19, 2024 11:08 am

Gobert is a lock. Someone like LMA is more interesting to me.
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer
And1: 952

Post#3 » by bubonicphoniks » Sun May 19, 2024 11:08 am

I don't have any of them in my Hall.

Maybe Lowry. Maybe Love.

Def not Horford and I love Big Al. Same for Deroze...love him but not a HOFer.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,504

Post#4 » by mhd » Sun May 19, 2024 11:12 am

rapstarter wrote:Gobert is a lock. Someone like LMA is more interesting to me.

Well when non elite bigs like Bosh make it, than LMA deserves to get in too. If Bosh spent his career in the west, he'd never would have sniffed the HOF. All of those all-star game appearances were because of the dearth of PFs in the East. The West had Webber, Duncan, KG, Dirk, Amare, Zbo, LMA, and Pau during Bosh's era. Bosh made ONE all-NBA team his whole career. It was a joke that Bosh made the HOF.
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,472

Post#5 » by CBS7 » Sun May 19, 2024 11:22 am

Nba hof is just not that hard to get into. Basically if you're a 6 time allstar you have a 95% chance to get in. Heck if you're a 5 time allstar you have a 80% chance.
Deivork
Starter
And1: 1,896

Post#6 » by Deivork » Sun May 19, 2024 11:38 am

None of these deserve it imo. And I love Horford and Iguodala. I just don't care about awards in Goberts case. He's good, just not HoF.
pipfan
RealGM

Post#7 » by pipfan » Sun May 19, 2024 11:41 am

DeRozan is #31 on the All Time scoring list, and will definitely by top 25 by the end of next season. I think he gets in

I swapped in LMA for DRose
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,741

Post#8 » by shi-woo » Sun May 19, 2024 12:30 pm

bubonicphoniks wrote:I don't have any of them in my Hall.

Maybe Lowry. Maybe Love.

Def not Horford and I love Big Al. Same for Deroze...love him but not a HOFer.

I agree on Big Al, but think we're going to be shocked when he makes his HoF speech.

Remember he was part of that back to back title team in college, and was arguably their best player. He's going to have a long long NBA resume playing for the best Hawks teams since Nique and the best Celtics teams since the Big 3. He's also the Dominican Republics best player in international play, and 2nd most distinguished Latin American of all time (Manu). I think he even has a Metal from some international tourney. If he wins it this year with the Celtics, he essentially is a lock by the low standards.

By the time he retires, he's going to be Top 100 in a majority of major statistics, regular season and post season.

His career was similar to Marc Gasols, so if Marc makes it it will be a tell on if Big Al makes it.

NBA HoF is mainly based on narrative and story, and Al has that locked up with a title, and is close even without one.
Message Boar
Analyst
And1: 1,928

Post#9 » by Message Boar » Sun May 19, 2024 12:50 pm

The 4 I had as "yes" , in order of most to least likely to actually make it:

- Gobert
- Iguodala
- LaMarcus Aldridge
- DeRozan
Johnny Tomala
Veteran
And1: 2,155

Post#10 » by Johnny Tomala » Sun May 19, 2024 12:54 pm

Gobert and Love only for me.
PapaBear53
Junior
And1: 624

Post#11 » by PapaBear53 » Sun May 19, 2024 1:36 pm

Where's the option for none of the above?
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,578

Post#12 » by Saints14 » Sun May 19, 2024 1:48 pm

Gobert is a lock.

Funny about Lowry. From what I recall the consensus after the 2019 title was that he was a near lock as well, so was that a prisoner of the moment thing or has his final chapter with the Heat made us forget? I still think he gets in.

Middleton is interesting. Similar to Lowry that he was getting future HOF talk after 21. I think the opportunity was there for him with a few more all star seasons and deep playoff runs, but he kinda faded since and so have the Bucks. I think he’s out.

I think Iguodala makes it as an indisputable part of the warriors dynasty. And I think DeRozan gets in but shouldn’t - his longevity stats and last career chapter with the Bulls is impressive, but he’ll ultimately be remembered as not a winning player and the guy the Raptors had to trade away to take the next step.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,116

Post#13 » by Wingy » Sun May 19, 2024 1:51 pm

pipfan wrote:DeRozan is #31 on the All Time scoring list, and will definitely by top 25 by the end of next season. I think he gets in

I swapped in LMA for DRose

Yeah, DeRozan’s a lock for his all time scoring list spot alone.

I also voted Gobert.

Sure there will be others, but I don’t care enough to look up all these resumes.
Ito
General Manager
And1: 820

Post#14 » by Ito » Sun May 19, 2024 2:01 pm

Doesn’t a ring with having a legitimate role on the team = HOF?? Some of those should make it.. Beal, LMA shouldnt, Gobert not yet.. Derozen have the stats but need some final performances imo but that’s me he prolly have a shot
pipfan
RealGM

Post#15 » by pipfan » Sun May 19, 2024 6:29 pm

So, I guess Gobert can come off the list. I think he has only 3 All Star games, but 4 DPOY awards is impressive
Godymas
Veteran
And1: 2,445

Post#16 » by Godymas » Sun May 19, 2024 6:43 pm

after Lowry got a ring there were talks of him being a HoF lock

imo he should NOT make the HoF. His resume is really weak, his career numbers are really average, he was only All NBA once, and the years after Toronto really have hurt his legacy truthfully.

I think DeRozan has a better story for the HoF than Lowry. Much more pure basketball talent and individual accolades. He still has it in him to make another All NBA team or 2 too.

He also would have a CPOY award if it existed his first year in Chicago
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,779

Post#17 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sun May 19, 2024 6:50 pm

Gobert is the only one I'd put in.

With how the Hall of Fame works though, feels like they will all get in.
MarcusBrody
Starter
And1: 3,821

Post#18 » by MarcusBrody » Sun May 19, 2024 7:09 pm

PapaBear53 wrote:Where's the option for none of the above?

Just click vote/submit without choosing anyone.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,704

Post#19 » by Doctor MJ » Sun May 19, 2024 7:14 pm

Player by Player listed:

Lowry - In. His significance for the Toronto Raptors I think does the trick.

DeRozan - Out. Was more likely to make than Lowry right up until the Raptors traded him away. I don't think voters will see him as doing enough afterward to make up for the ding he takes in being traded away to make a champion.

Love - No. I think he needed to do more as a star post-LeBron than he did.

Horford - Yes. His continued relevance combined with his college career will get him over the top.

Gobert - Yes. This past season basically ended all debate.

Beal - No. As things stand his career hasn't amounted to anything significant.

Middleton - No. He's pretty close actually, but he needs another crescendo in his arc.

Aldridge - No. This one really depends on how emotions age. Just taken at face value, he looked like somebody who would get in once he had enough longevity, but then he had his career cut short. But sometimes there's a romance to voters about guys whose career is cut short.

Iguodala - Yes. I've gone back & forth on this, but with Coop getting in, it's hard to imagine Iggy not.

I voted "Yes" on others but wasn't sure exactly what you meant. ftr, I agree that Dray & Klay are almost certainly locks. With Dray the faintest of caveats is that if he does something ugly enough, there might be something of a boycott by voters against him. This is technically true of any player, and unlikely in any scenario, but it's easier to imagine Dray doing something unforgiveable than most.

To just bring others up that could count as plausible on-the-fence "Others":

Rondo - Holds an unusually prominent place in people's minds given his limitations.

Roy - extreme version of Aldridge. He'll get in if voters get romantic about his career cut short by injury.

Marc - I think his international career will put him over the top.

Conley - He's not there yet, but if he ends up a critical part of a Minny chip, he may well get in.

Rose - extreme version of Roy...who technically continued playing basketball later. Depends on romance.

Brook - he's literally in the same boat as Middleton, though entirely possible that one gets in and the other doesn't, and yeah, Middleton is the more likely of the two.

Jrue - not there yet, but he ends up, say, playing a critical role on a Celtic chip, probably gets in.

Griffin - similar to Rose. Depends on romance...which seems less likely given the association of the Clippers with playoff disappointment.

George - seems like he's in at this point.

Kyrie - working his way back toward likely.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,518

Post#20 » by Celts17Pride » Sun May 19, 2024 7:18 pm

Horford wins a NBA title he is in easily

Return to The General Board