Calling it now: The Mavericks will be in the NBA Finals

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

SportsGuru08
Rookie
And1: 926

Calling it now: The Mavericks will be in the NBA Finals 

Post#1 » by SportsGuru08 » Sun May 19, 2024 3:15 am

If I'm wrong, I will gladly eat crow and any Nuggets or Wolves fans (depending on who wins tomorrow) can rub it in my face if you want.

With all that said, the Mavs are showing that it's not just the Luka Doncic show anymore. Neither he nor Kyrie played up to their normal level this series and they still ended up winning.

Denver has no depth and I think that might catch up with them. Minnesota is a bit of an enigma; I never know what to expect from them.

So with that in mind, I think the Mavericks are coming out of the West this year
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,440

Re: Calling it now: The Mavericks will be in the NBA Finals 

Post#2 » by Marvin Martian » Sun May 19, 2024 3:20 am

How so? DAL doesn't have to size to match up with either DEN or MIN.
Sleep
Starter
And1: 554

Post#3 » by Sleep » Sun May 19, 2024 3:22 am

Whoever wins game seven between the Nuggets and the Wolves is winning it all. They're both significantly better than any other team left.
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,909

Post#4 » by jkvonny » Sun May 19, 2024 3:22 am

Hhhhmmmm.......ok.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,698

Post#5 » by Statlanta » Sun May 19, 2024 3:22 am

SportsGuru08 wrote:If I'm wrong, I will gladly eat crow and any Nuggets or Wolves fans (depending on who wins tomorrow) can rub it in my face if you want.

With all that said, the Mavs are showing that it's not just the Luka Doncic show anymore. Neither he nor Kyrie played up to their normal level this series and they still ended up winning.

Denver has no depth and I think that might catch up with them. Minnesota is a bit of an enigma; I never know what to expect from them.

So with that in mind, I think the Mavericks are coming out of the West this year

I'm 110 mins from Clearwater
I bet you $100 the Mavs are losing to the winner on Sunday.

Lively and Gafford will be eaten alive by the frontcourt of the winner on Sunday.
Aaron Gordon, Devin Booker, Tyrese Halliburton, Trae Young, Anthony Edwards and Luka Doncic all made the Conference Finals.

Where’s Joel Embiid?
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,336

Post#6 » by BeiBeau » Sun May 19, 2024 3:25 am

Marvin Martian wrote:How so? DAL doesn't have to size to match up with either DEN or MIN.

The only time this Mavs team has played the Nuggets they put rebounded Denver by 23.
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 16,062

Post#7 » by Patches Perry » Sun May 19, 2024 3:26 am

I agree people have been selling short the teams in this series. Dallas will be highly competitive against Denver or Minnesota.
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,336

Post#8 » by BeiBeau » Sun May 19, 2024 3:27 am

Statlanta wrote:
SportsGuru08 wrote:If I'm wrong, I will gladly eat crow and any Nuggets or Wolves fans (depending on who wins tomorrow) can rub it in my face if you want.

I'm 110 mins from Clearwater
I bet you $100 the Mavs are losing to the winner on Sunday.

Lively and Gafford will be eaten alive by the frontcourt of the winner on Sunday.

Only time this Dallas team played Denver they out rebounded them by 23.

Gafford and Lively are not a better front court than Minny or Denver by any means. But Gafford is a high quality starter and Lively is a future all star.
SportsGuru08
Rookie

Post#9 » by SportsGuru08 » Sun May 19, 2024 3:29 am

Marvin Martian wrote:How so? DAL doesn't have to size to match up with either DEN or MIN.

Jokic is certainly a problem but he's only one guy. Murray hasn't played up to snuff and they have very little depth. That could end up biting them in the next round.

As for Minnesota, KAT doesn't play like a big man and is softer than wet toilet paper. Gobert is useless on offense and since Dallas relies primarily on outside scoring, he'll probably also be rendered useless on defense. We saw such a scenario play out against the Clippers (a team low on size) three years ago.
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,909

Post#10 » by jkvonny » Sun May 19, 2024 3:30 am

Sleep wrote:Whoever wins game seven between the Nuggets and the Wolves is winning it all. They're both significantly better than any other team left.

Minn is 3-1 vs Dallas this season.

Playoffs are different, but Minn has HCA and are big, healthy.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,990

Post#11 » by dirkules_41 » Sun May 19, 2024 3:32 am

Yes, that was the case until February. Not so much now :lol:
Baz
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,819

Post#12 » by Baz » Sun May 19, 2024 3:33 am

I might end up regretting it but I'm rooting for the Timberwolves tomorrow. I don't want to see Jokic.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,733

Post#13 » by shi-woo » Sun May 19, 2024 3:34 am

I mean, you're not really going out a stretch there bud :lol: They are one of the final 4 teams standing, and just beat the #1 seed.

If they play Minny, they have the 2 best players in the series. If they play Denver, they have the 2nd best player in the World, so the margin Jokic usually has isn't going to be that big, and Kyrie is playoff Jamal, but every night.

Given how banged up Murray is, and the fact that he will get hunted like a deer by Luka and Kyrie, that is a series that would be more even than people would think.

Against the Wolves, experience would play a huge part, and I think they have the defensive personel to make life hard for Ant. Jones and Washinton would be great options, and they actually have rim protection if he beats them. Something neither PHX or DEN has. I also wouldn't trust Towns in a WCF games if my life depended on it, let alone my RealGM reputation.

Boston, Dalas, Minny, and Denver are all on the same level in my option and are 4 vastly different teams in terms of team make up and play style. It's going to be a fun finish.

I expect DAL to make the finals unless DEN wins, and Jamal can come back healthy. Which doesn't seem to be happening
nbafan38
Head Coach
And1: 5,555

Post#14 » by nbafan38 » Sun May 19, 2024 3:34 am

Certainly wouldn't surprise me. I don't think there is a clear favorite at this point in time as I could see any of the west teams left in the playoffs or the celtics winning it all.
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 17,377

Post#15 » by Wolfgang630 » Sun May 19, 2024 3:37 am

shi-woo wrote:I mean, you're not really going out a stretch there bud :lol: They are one of the final 4 teams standing, and just beat the #1 seed.

If they play Minny, they have the 2 best players in the series. If they play Denver, they have the 2nd best player in the World, so the margin Jokic usually has isn't going to be that big, and Kyrie is playoff Jamal, but every night.

Given how banged up Murray is, and the fact that he will get hunted like a deer by Luka and Kyrie, that is a series that would be more even than people would think.

Against the Wolves, experience would play a huge part, and I think they have the defensive personel to make life hard for Ant. Jones and Washinton would be great options, and they actually have rim protection if he beats them. Something neither PHX or DEN has. I also wouldn't trust Towns in a WCF games if my life depended on it, let alone my RealGM reputation.

Boston, Dalas, Minny, and Denver are all on the same level in my option and are 4 vastly different teams in terms of team make up and play style. It's going to be a fun finish.

I expect DAL to make the finals unless DEN wins, and Jamal can come back healthy. Which doesn't seem to be happening

You talk like Aaron Gordon and KCP don’t exist to guard Luka and Kyrie
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,440

Post#16 » by Marvin Martian » Sun May 19, 2024 3:38 am

dirkules_41 wrote:

Yes, that was the case until February. Not so much now :lol:

DAL frontcourt are NPCs. DEN and MIN have actual star power in their frontcourt.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,921

Post#17 » by Chuck Everett » Sun May 19, 2024 3:39 am

Mavs have a puncher's chance against the field because they are absolutely shooting the **** out of the basketball right now. If they keep defending the rim like they have been (with Gafford/Lively), why can't they win the title? This personnel is much more conducive to a Finals' run than previous iterations with Luka.

Two elite postseason scorers/playmakers (Luka/Kyrie)
Two rim running bigs/rim protectors/rebounders (Lively/Gafford)
Two athletic wing/big forwards/defenders (Jones/Washington)
Microwave bench scorer (Hardaway)
Bench defender (Green)

Losing Kleber does hurt their versatility, but I would stop doubting them now. Minnesota/Denver will be in for a dogfight next round.

Edit: I also just read that Kidd said Kleber may be available for the next round, which is huge news, just because it's another body he can go to if necessary. Also, those minutes Jaden Hardy played were really interesting because it shows that as a 21 year old second year player in his first playoff action, he has Kidd's trust.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
SportsGuru08
Rookie

Post#18 » by SportsGuru08 » Sun May 19, 2024 3:40 am

shi-woo wrote:I mean, you're not really going out a stretch there bud :lol: They are one of the final 4 teams standing, and just beat the #1 seed.

The series still has to be played and Dallas could easily get their ass kicked by either team.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,126

Post#19 » by ChipotleWest » Sun May 19, 2024 3:44 am

The Mavs don't have a bench either. It's just their starting lineup that does everything. THJ? Lol, Exum? Benched, Hardy? inexperienced, Green? Has made a play here and there but nothing spectacular. But they do have that rookie, Dereck Lively.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,339

Post#20 » by enigmatics » Sun May 19, 2024 3:44 am

You're calling it NOW after they make their way into the WCF by beating the #1 seed as a road team? Way to go out on limb bro. Much brave.

You should start a sports service.

Return to The General Board