Typical RealGM Overreactions: 2024 Playoffs Edition

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,555

Typical RealGM Overreactions: 2024 Playoffs Edition 

Post#1 » by durden_tyler » Mon May 13, 2024 12:14 pm

First of all, i’ll admit, i have a few of these and guilty as charged though thanks to level-headed RealGM (neutral?) fans it has been far less this postseason although we still get a bunch of these exaggerated overreactions, typical of our dear forum and the bane of (casual) fans, who may or may not know their teams/opposing teams better.

So i present to you some of the illogical, unfounded RealGM overreactions the past month or so; pls add anything i have missed

EAST

“The Celtics are NOT title contenders”

Happened after the huge G2 home loss vs the Heat. They proceeded to sweep the remaining games, convincingly, vs. Miami. Happened in the Cavs series too after CLE’s shocking G2 blowout win.

“The Pacers have no chance vs New York” (Guilty as charged)

To be fair, the injuries to NY have been a major factor but those injuries must be considered before any prediction is made. With the Thibs 40 Minutes of Hell System, so much so these injuries must be front and center on probabilities of these injuries.

“Joel Embiid is a loser”

Okay not an overreaction, we all agree on this one. LOL

WEST

“Wolves in 5 or sweep against the defending champions”, “Nuggets are done, must rebuild”
(Sub overreaction: “Ant is MJ’s son”)

Happened after they took the first 2 road games in the Denver series.

Guilty as charged. Underestimated (more like forgot) Jokic and why he’s a four-time MVP.

“The Lakers are title contenders”

Not really for RealGM, but just LA fans. LOL

“The Thunder’s age/lack of playoff experience won’t be a factor these playoffs.”

This has its own thread.

Obviously, some of the series, the fate of the respective teams can still change and the (hot) takes may still come to fruition and let this be a lesson to all of us that the games are still played and that ultimately decides the results, and not the experts’ opinion (or Vegas LOL, which in itself is an “opinion”) or whatever past history or recency bias.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,379

Re: Typical RealGM Overreactions: 2024 Playoffs Edition 

Post#2 » by Iwasawitness » Mon May 13, 2024 12:36 pm

Don’t forget people claiming Harden is a great playoff performer after one great game.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 6,551

Post#3 » by BigGargamel » Mon May 13, 2024 12:37 pm

Denver having to blow up a championship team because they lost 2 games was definitely the worst. :lol: But now, it's Minnesota that has to blow up their team because they lost 2 games.
durden_tyler
RealGM

Post#4 » by durden_tyler » Mon May 13, 2024 12:39 pm

Iwasawitness wrote:Don’t forget people claiming Harden is a great playoff performer after one great game.

Hmm, forgot about this one, for good reasons i think. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,187

Post#5 » by tsherkin » Mon May 13, 2024 1:08 pm

BigGargamel wrote:Denver having to blow up a championship team because they lost 2 games was definitely the worst. :lol: But now, it's Minnesota that has to blow up their team because they lost 2 games.

Yeah, that was always odd. It's been a great series, but the pendulum swing threads have been brutal.
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 9,052

Post#6 » by AleksandarN » Mon May 13, 2024 1:15 pm

Don’t bring up my thread. Although I was right. The title of my thread was maybe a bit of a clickbait though lol
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 23,022

Post#7 » by dhsilv2 » Mon May 13, 2024 1:19 pm

durden_tyler wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:Don’t forget people claiming Harden is a great playoff performer after one great game.

Hmm, forgot about this one, for good reasons i think. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure that thread was mostly just to give him credit for having a big game.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,103

Post#8 » by Wingy » Mon May 13, 2024 1:56 pm

BigGargamel wrote:Denver having to blow up a championship team because they lost 2 games was definitely the worst. :lol: But now, it's Minnesota that has to blow up their team because they lost 2 games.

…to a championship team no less! You (might) lose a super competitive series to the champs. You suck!

Who cares about the history of the league where teams lost to the same team over and over and over again before prevailing?!?
OfficialRef
Starter
And1: 2,449

Post#9 » by OfficialRef » Mon May 13, 2024 2:24 pm

Denver being 2-0 gained probably the worst and biggest overreactions on this board the whole year.

Ant being MJ's son, Denver blowing it up, Wolves sweeping Denver, Wolves winning it all, Wolves being the best defensive team in years, just so many bad takes. Some people should just watch another sport
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,639

Post#10 » by Clyde Frazier » Mon May 13, 2024 3:28 pm

"Who cares if Jokic won 3 MVPs and is coming off a dominant title run? He didn't play well in game 2 and might lose to a very good team. He sucks now."
chilluminati
Starter
And1: 4,101

Post#11 » by chilluminati » Mon May 13, 2024 3:32 pm

It's a night by night thing. When the Nuggets lost the first two games everyone was high on the Wolves, saying the Nuggets are cooked and the team needs to be blown up. Now they win two games and we're back to appreciating the champs and finding issues with KAT's coordination and Ant's overall impact.

It's like half of these posters brains reset every night at midnight so they can wake up and have First Take hand them their daily NBA "hot take". I swear around this time of year I end up arguing with people or LA fans about the dumbest things.

Have an opinion and stand on that.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,513

Post#12 » by jowglenn » Mon May 13, 2024 4:27 pm

After game 1 against the Knicks: "Haliburton is a complete bum, TJ McConnell should be starting over him, he should be out of the league"

Proceeds to put up 34/9/6, 35/7/4 in the next two games
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,564

Post#13 » by PistolPeteJR » Mon May 13, 2024 5:09 pm

The Knicks one is a bit excusable given they're missing three key players now in OG, Robinson and Bogdanovic and Hali's been hurt for months.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,947

Post#14 » by Jadoogar » Mon May 13, 2024 5:13 pm

I definitely though Minnesota was going to win after game 2. The defense looked incredible and Edwards just in flamethrower mode.
But the talk about blowing up Denver was incredible stupid. Even if Nuggets got swept, it would have been stupid. Even the best teams don't win the title every year. Sometimes you just get a bad injury or bad matchup.

The hate on Minnesota is really dumb right now too. People saying Gobert is not a playoff defender are so dumb. Not everything has to be a referendum on someone. Sometimes you have to play against the 3x MVP and he'll just score on you. Doesn't mean you're a bad defender or need to change up your whole game plan.
lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,932

Post#15 » by lakerz12 » Mon May 13, 2024 5:17 pm

"Suns are a good team"
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 16,049

Post#16 » by Patches Perry » Mon May 13, 2024 5:19 pm

I would also add that every one of these has an equal opposite.

Therefore...

Newton's Third Law of playoff reactions: For every overcorrection, there is an equal and opposite overcorrection.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 23,022

Post#17 » by dhsilv2 » Mon May 13, 2024 5:24 pm

PistolPeteJR wrote:The Knicks one is a bit excusable given they're missing three key players now in OG, Robinson and Bogdanovic and Hali's been hurt for months.

Yeah i never hold bad takes against people when injuries are the driver.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,321

Post#18 » by Capn'O » Mon May 13, 2024 5:35 pm

PistolPeteJR wrote:The Knicks one is a bit excusable given they're missing three key players now in OG, Robinson and Bogdanovic and Hali's been hurt for months.

Raptors: We will trade you a player who will solve all of your roster issues, make all of the players around him play better, can defend any player in the realm, and will make you a contender when he plays. However...

Knicks: OK deal!!!

runs away laughing

Raptors: But wait, there's also a curse!

Oh well...
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
nbafan38
Head Coach
And1: 5,555

Post#19 » by nbafan38 » Mon May 13, 2024 6:15 pm

I overreacted badly in the Nuggets-Wolves Series.
I had Denver in 5-6 at the start, then thought Wolves would sweep after the first two games
Now I'm humble and have no clue.

I thinK I've avoided most other overreactions though in these playoff series.
durden_tyler
RealGM

Post#20 » by durden_tyler » Tue May 14, 2024 1:52 am

nbafan38 wrote:I overreacted badly in the Nuggets-Wolves Series.
I had Denver in 5-6 at the start, then thought Wolves would sweep after the first two games
Now I'm humble and have no clue.

I thinK I've avoided most other overreactions though in these playoff series.

Same. i trusted these Wolves too much. Not yet over, but i don't think they recover from this and will lose the next two games.

Return to The General Board