Why does KAT always look like he's about to topple over?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Ugly Duckling
Analyst
And1: 1,603

Why does KAT always look like he's about to topple over? 

Post#1 » by Ugly Duckling » Mon May 13, 2024 3:05 am

Whether he's moving with our without the ball. Dude is sloppy as hell. And why is he chucking contested, off-rhythm threes early in the shot clock?
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,422

Re: Why does KAT always look like he's about to topple over? 

Post#2 » by Lunartic » Mon May 13, 2024 3:07 am

Obviously it's because he's trash
Onlytimewilltel
Veteran
And1: 3,511

Post#3 » by Onlytimewilltel » Mon May 13, 2024 3:31 am

Ugly Duckling wrote:Whether he's moving with our without the ball. Dude is sloppy as hell. And why is he chucking contested, off-rhythm threes early in the shot clock?

Hah yea it’s weird on a few of his threes he rushed it heaved the three up like the time was running out. I kept looking at the shot clock to see if there is like less than a second only to see like 14 seconds left on the clock. :crazy:
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#4 » by ogmagicfan » Mon May 13, 2024 3:44 am

I'll assume its a combination of weak handle and weak core strength/balance
srhcan
Veteran
And1: 1,754

Post#5 » by srhcan » Mon May 13, 2024 3:51 am

walking turnover machine
Ugly Duckling
Analyst
And1: 1,603

Post#6 » by Ugly Duckling » Mon May 13, 2024 4:05 am

ogmagicfan wrote:I'll assume its a combination of weak handle and weak core strength/balance

this is a valid point, but why wouldn't they work on that if that was the case? maybe he just has that b**** in him
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
Ken Bannister
Freshman
And1: 121

Post#7 » by Ken Bannister » Mon May 13, 2024 4:06 am

ogmagicfan wrote:I'll assume its a combination of weak handle and weak core strength/balance

famicommander
Sophomore
And1: 553

Post#8 » by famicommander » Mon May 13, 2024 4:06 am

He came back from the same injury and surgery Embiid had in half the time, to be fair.
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by ogmagicfan » Mon May 13, 2024 4:08 am

Ugly Duckling wrote:

this is a valid point, but why wouldn't they work on that if that was the case? maybe he just has that b**** in him

Your guess is as good as mine, weird considering how noticeable it is

He needs an offseason working with Bron or Bron's trainer on those advanced core/balance exercises he does
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,997

Post#10 » by dhsilv2 » Mon May 13, 2024 4:09 am

Ugly Duckling wrote:

Tall guys don't actually tend to be the most coordinated and/or strong.
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by ogmagicfan » Mon May 13, 2024 4:10 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
Ugly Duckling wrote:

for sure, but as a mobile player like KAT who drives off the dribble, he needs to be coordinated or he's just hurting his team
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#12 » by dhsilv2 » Mon May 13, 2024 4:14 am

ogmagicfan wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Ugly Duckling wrote:

for sure, but as a mobile player like KAT who drives off the dribble, he needs to be coordinated or he's just hurting his team

As others noted, the bigger issue is strength here.
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by ogmagicfan » Mon May 13, 2024 4:17 am

[tweet][/tweet]
dhsilv2 wrote:
ogmagicfan wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Theyre both big issues

Lack of functional strength doesnt allow him to establish or create deep positioning in the post or finish through contact/physicality

Lack of balance doesnt allow him to play controlled while doing so

Weak core strength translates to overall weak strength
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#14 » by dhsilv2 » Mon May 13, 2024 4:22 am

ogmagicfan wrote:[tweet][/tweet]
dhsilv2 wrote:
ogmagicfan wrote:

Theyre both big issues

Lack of functional strength doesnt allow him to establish or create deep positioning in the post or finish through contact/physicality

Lack of balance doesnt allow him to play controlled while doing so

Weak core strength translates to overall weak strength

Balance is mostly a core strength issue. I'd even go further but one of the biggest differences between players that fans perceive as high IQ vs low IQ is actually core strength. Having a stable core allows you to maintain verticality against contact which then allows you to focus on what to do with the ball vs maintaining balance.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,860

Post#15 » by EmpireFalls » Mon May 13, 2024 4:28 am

Not even kidding he’s one of the biggest wastes of talent in NBA history. He should be a Dirk Nowitzki level player.

How many 7 footers have a shot like that to begin with? Seriously, I think it’s just him and Dirk. And then he can actually rebound and play reasonable defense, he’s not a primary rim protector but he’s good 1v1 and much more mobile than most his size.

His player profile is so rare and really special. A 7 footer shouldn’t be able to shoot that well and be as good at post defense and driving as he is.

But he just plays with an infuriating lack of BBIQ. he doesn’t know how to shoot a mid range jumper or how to slow down. He can’t stop and shoot the easy pull-up. He has to charge the rim or just jack the 3. If he had just a bit more control he’d be an all timer.
ryguy613
Sixth Man
And1: 1,768

Post#16 » by ryguy613 » Mon May 13, 2024 5:09 am

Ken Bannister wrote:

came to this thread looking for this so, thank you
ryguy613
Sixth Man
And1: 1,768

Post#17 » by ryguy613 » Mon May 13, 2024 5:12 am

EmpireFalls wrote:Not even kidding he’s one of the biggest wastes of talent in NBA history. He should be a Dirk Nowitzki level player.

How many 7 footers have a shot like that to begin with? Seriously, I think it’s just him and Dirk. And then he can actually rebound and play reasonable defense, he’s not a primary rim protector but he’s good 1v1 and much more mobile than most his size.

His player profile is so rare and really special. A 7 footer shouldn’t be able to shoot that well and be as good at post defense and driving as he is.

But he just plays with an infuriating lack of BBIQ. he doesn’t know how to shoot a mid range jumper or how to slow down. He can’t stop and shoot the easy pull-up. He has to charge the rim or just jack the 3. If he had just a bit more control he’d be an all timer.

not only that, he is very inconsistent, has no leadership skills, and can get bullied out of his comfort zone pretty easily. Guy has all the skills in the world, but the part of the game that takes place between the ears, thats where he struggles. Its why Ant was able to surpass him and become the true leader of the team without ant real competition
ChuckChilly
Veteran
And1: 2,734

Post#18 » by ChuckChilly » Mon May 13, 2024 5:27 am

One thing I noticed is that his sneakers are massive even for his size. Its like he's literally playing in clown shoes. Maybe thats it.
madskillz8
Senior
And1: 809

Post#19 » by madskillz8 » Mon May 13, 2024 5:28 am

Onlytimewilltel wrote:
Ugly Duckling wrote:Whether he's moving with our without the ball. Dude is sloppy as hell. And why is he chucking contested, off-rhythm threes early in the shot clock?

Hah yea it’s weird on a few of his threes he rushed it heaved the three up like the time was running out. I kept looking at the shot clock to see if there is like less than a second only to see like 14 seconds left on the clock. :crazy:

He's the MJ of Bynums.

Joking aside, he had few seasons with a green light to try these shoots as he's the "best shooting big ever". Such bad habits developed earlier in a career are not easy to change.
picc
RealGM
And1: 18,404

Post#20 » by picc » Mon May 13, 2024 5:32 am

Ken Bannister wrote:

Ive never seen this before and it makes everything in the universe make sense.

Return to The General Board