Should the Knicks reconsider giving Anunoby a huge contract this summer?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

dkb964
Junior
And1: 213

Should the Knicks reconsider giving Anunoby a huge contract this summer? 

Post#1 » by dkb964 » Sun May 12, 2024 11:33 pm

As a Raptors fan I have watched the career of Anunoby closely and the man just can not stay healthy. It is not a fluke what is happeneing since he joined the Knicks. It feels like they are in a tough position. One one hand they have been great with him in the lineup but on the other hand history would suggest he will be hurt again next season, and I doubt that changes going forward as he gets older. In a world where Tobias Haris made 40M this season I would have to think that would be the floor amount of money for Anunoby. Should the Knicks really give a massive contract to a great role player who can not stay healthy?
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,954

Re: Should the Knicks reconsider giving Anunoby a huge contract this summer? 

Post#2 » by JustBuzzin » Sun May 12, 2024 11:34 pm

And replace him with who?
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,938

Post#3 » by Karate Diop » Sun May 12, 2024 11:34 pm

He's got them over the barrell. They're going to give him whatever he asks.
dkb964
Junior

Post#4 » by dkb964 » Sun May 12, 2024 11:36 pm

Karate Diop wrote:He's got them over the barrell. They're going to give him whatever he asks.

He has been underpaid in Toronto, so he is going to want as big of a bag as possible.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,545

Post#5 » by durden_tyler » Sun May 12, 2024 11:41 pm

He’s worth the risk but it also means they have to be smarter and save elsewhere (Ship Randle)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
dkb964
Junior

Post#6 » by dkb964 » Sun May 12, 2024 11:45 pm

durden_tyler wrote:He’s worth the risk but it also means they have to be smarter and save elsewhere (Ship Randle)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a Randle fan and I doubt he has much value. I imagine a dumb team like the Pistons or Wizards might take him though. They do have Brunson on a great contract, which would help offset a large Anunoby contract, but then again the money does not matter if he can't be counted on to be on the court.
JimmyFromNz
Pro Prospect
And1: 934

Post#7 » by JimmyFromNz » Sun May 12, 2024 11:45 pm

It's a fair question. He's a great player, with limitations and a niggly injury history. There was a time where an additional leap was possible, but 2 years later he is what he is as a player.

He's every nba nerds archetype dream of defensive length, versatility and spot up shooting, but I'd seriously consider whether financial flexibility in a New York market is more important than paying a huge amount for that, which you can fill aspects of that across lesser and cheaper role players.

The consideration really is, how comfortable are the knicks paying him the highest salary on the roster, prior to having to re-up Brunson on a superstar salary after next season, combined with what I think would be a consensus agreement that the Knicks do need a second star alongside Jalen to jump to perennial contender status (I don't think that happens/is possible by shifting Randle).
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,723

Post#8 » by shi-woo » Sun May 12, 2024 11:53 pm

As a TOR fan though you should also be aware how taking the rink that an injury plagued player staying healthy for a run can pay massive dividends.

OG played great for this team when healthy, they need to sign him because they aren't going to have the chance to get anyone even remotely close to his level. Their time is now with Brunson and the gang signed, not bringing him back would just be a slap in the face to this Knicks team and fanbase that has fallen in love with this team. OG is the perfect player for Thibs style of basketball, giving up on him because he can't stay healthy is crazy

This team was over worked this year because of injuries to everyone. Now that the Knicks know what they have, they can plan accordingly next year, giving guys more rest, and have a rotation that isn't going 6-7 deep.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,314

Post#9 » by Capn'O » Sun May 12, 2024 11:54 pm

He's a walking injury risk but he's also the difference between the Knicks being a doormat and a contender so he's coming back.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
dkb964
Junior

Post#10 » by dkb964 » Sun May 12, 2024 11:56 pm

shi-woo wrote:As a TOR fan though you should also be aware how taking the rink that an injury plagued player staying healthy for a run can pay massive dividends.

OG played great for this team when healthy, they need to sign him because they aren't going to have the chance to get anyone even remotely close to his level. Their time is now with Brunson and the gang signed, not bringing him back would just be a slap in the face to this Knicks team and fanbase that has fallen in love with this team. OG is the perfect player for Thibs style of basketball, giving up on him because he can't stay healthy is crazy

This team was over worked this year because of injuries to everyone. Now that the Knicks know what they have, they can plan accordingly next year, giving guys more rest, and have a rotation that isn't going 6-7 deep.

Thibs style of coaching may be the worse thing for Anunoby though. They need to keep him in the early 30s minutes wise.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,314

Post#11 » by Capn'O » Mon May 13, 2024 12:01 am

dkb964 wrote:
shi-woo wrote:As a TOR fan though you should also be aware how taking the rink that an injury plagued player staying healthy for a run can pay massive dividends.

Thibs style of coaching may be the worse thing for Anunoby though. They need to keep him in the early 30s minutes wise.

I would argue he's the best and worst coach for him.
But you're absolutely right about minutes, of course .
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Kobe187
Starter
And1: 1,911

Post#12 » by Kobe187 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:02 am

Heard he might be headed to the Spurs. Then again PG, CP3, Klay have been linked to the Spurs as well so who knows.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,697

Post#13 » by Chuck Everett » Mon May 13, 2024 12:03 am

Low paint tolerance is more worrisome. Even if you sat him the whole season, you wonder if the high intensity of the playoffs would allow him to make it through. I think it's just a risk you have to take. Knicks could/should be contenders for the next 2-3 years. Let the chips fall where they may.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,693

Post#14 » by mademan » Mon May 13, 2024 12:03 am

He's injury prone but doesnt have any kind of chronic issues. He just hurts different things pretty consistently.

Maybe he's just unlucky?
TwitterFingers
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,505

Post#15 » by TwitterFingers » Mon May 13, 2024 12:04 am

He’s the best 3 & D player in the league. Pay that man his money *teddy KGB voice*
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,284

Post#16 » by MrBigShot » Mon May 13, 2024 12:06 am

He is a good player, elite defender and knock down 3pt shooter, rarely makes mistakes. But if we're talking in the range of ~150 mil over 4 years, he doesn't bring the impact to justify that salary. And his healthy is spotty. They still probably pay it over letting him walk though.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,098

Post#17 » by dockingsched » Mon May 13, 2024 12:09 am

They should do everything possible to unload Randle if paying OG is a concern.

As if they needed any evidence, Randle isn’t worth the price tag, his absence allows others to step up who complement each other to create a better team.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Bulliever2020
Pro Prospect
And1: 2,008

Post#18 » by Bulliever2020 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:10 am

0% chance they let him walk. He is too important to them and has showed it in the Knicks record when he has been available.

He will get paid and the Knicks will try as best they can to keep him healthy.

/thread
___Rand___
RealGM
And1: 10,598

Post#19 » by ___Rand___ » Mon May 13, 2024 12:12 am

He's 26, coming into his prime. His defensive versatility is UNMATCHED in the league. There are a few teams with cap space who'll gladly take him if Knicks don't. He's already got the Knicks offer. Just waiting to make it official in the summer.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,442

Post#20 » by Nuntius » Mon May 13, 2024 12:14 am

His injury history is why I didn't really want my Pacers to trade for him when he was available. He's definitely a great player and he does impact the game in a multitude of ways but this injury history scares me.

It's a tough question to answer. I do think that the Knicks should pay him and just hope that his injuries do not come at inopportune times.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch

Return to The General Board