Is Minnesota better without Gobert?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Ugly Duckling
Analyst
And1: 1,603

Is Minnesota better without Gobert? 

Post#1 » by Ugly Duckling » Sat May 11, 2024 4:49 am

Seems like they played much better in game 2 without him slowing them down and clogging up the paint.
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,956

Re: Is Minnesota better without Gobert? 

Post#2 » by XtremeDunkz » Sat May 11, 2024 4:52 am

How about game 1? Can we not over analyze a single game please.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,485

Post#3 » by Black Jack » Sat May 11, 2024 4:53 am

I thought the Towns and Reid combo was bothering Jokic a lot more actually.
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,971

Post#4 » by One_and_Done » Sat May 11, 2024 4:54 am

I was worried beforehand that Gobert coming back would hurt them.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,524

Post#5 » by Tor_Raps » Sat May 11, 2024 4:56 am

Why do people react to things after 1 game like it's the definitive answer every time? We went from Joker being overrated after 2 games to Gobert should be benched after 1 game lol.

Like I understand saying there are some aspects that Minny can thrive better without Gobert but he has a long track record of clearly being better on the court for practically every team he's played on for a reason.
Handlez
Junior
And1: 652

Post#6 » by Handlez » Sat May 11, 2024 4:59 am

This world will end soon.
SUPERVILLAIN
Analyst
And1: 12,292

Post#7 » by SUPERVILLAIN » Sat May 11, 2024 5:00 am

Game 2 refs simply f*cking sucked.

Timberwolves won game 1 with Gobert. Game 2 was a blowout because the refs were very inconsistent in the 1st half and that killed the Nuggets.
Young Stapler wrote:Completely off topic but SUPERVILLAIN got a crazy post/And1 ratio O_O

Just an observation. Carry on :usa:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2135964&p=94616946#p94616946
famicommander
Sophomore
And1: 553

Post#8 » by famicommander » Sat May 11, 2024 5:01 am

No.

They had a 12-4 record in the regular season when Gobert played and Towns didn't. Are they better without Towns? The answer to that is also no.
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 9,038

Post#9 » by AleksandarN » Sat May 11, 2024 5:05 am

multo
Rookie
And1: 535

Post#10 » by multo » Sat May 11, 2024 5:12 am

It wasn't because of Gobert. Denver adjusted and executed pretty well from Game 2 and would have won with or without Gobert.
doogie_hauser
Rookie
And1: 1,578

Post#11 » by doogie_hauser » Sat May 11, 2024 5:13 am

Didn't we have this same conversation about KAT not so long ago ?

To.summise no.

Not a fan of.his, but Gobert has brought a new level of defensive pressure and professionalism and standards to Minnesota that simply cannot be measured with box scores/stats.

It was just an off night for him and his teammates, it was naive for anyone (esp Bill Simmons) who thought Denver would willingly roll over and be swept.

Now the Wolves are in a dog fight, but I do think they have the maturity and belief to close this series out, esp with Gobert going to work in the paint.

I half expect a should Denver trade Joker if they lose game 4, the cold takes on this board after one game is absolutely hilarious!
Tottery
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,411

Post#12 » by Tottery » Sat May 11, 2024 5:26 am

The downside of the Wolves is their lack of experience. First 2 games they played with great defensive intensity. I didn't see it this game. They were more relaxed on that end. They have to learn they have to play with that defensive mindset every single game. It's a learning experience. Let's see how quick they learn.
Manimal
Starter
And1: 1,781

Post#13 » by Manimal » Sat May 11, 2024 5:29 am

Nah Gobert is the key to this series. He's the DPOY for a reason. He owns Jokic and always has, tbh.
Handlez
Junior
And1: 652

Post#14 » by Handlez » Sat May 11, 2024 5:33 am

Manimal wrote:Nah Gobert is the key to this series. He's the DPOY for a reason. He owns Jokic and always has, tbh.

Lol
Gary Cokeman
Pro Prospect
And1: 3,442

Post#15 » by Gary Cokeman » Sat May 11, 2024 5:37 am

Handlez wrote:
Manimal wrote:Nah Gobert is the key to this series. He's the DPOY for a reason. He owns Jokic and always has, tbh.

Lol

Brother, I have 47.
My Teams Always Suck.
TheFire
Senior
And1: 1,061

Post#16 » by TheFire » Sat May 11, 2024 5:37 am

He does as good of a job as anyone but “own” is a bit of a stretch since he’s sent Gobert home twice already in the playoffs.
SweaterBae
Sixth Man
And1: 2,475

Post#17 » by SweaterBae » Sat May 11, 2024 5:39 am

IamBBAnalysis
Rookie
And1: 524

Post#18 » by IamBBAnalysis » Sat May 11, 2024 5:40 am

doogie_hauser wrote:Didn't we have this same conversation about KAT not so long ago ?

To.summise no.

Not a fan of.his, but Gobert has brought a new level of defensive pressure and professionalism and standards to Minnesota that simply cannot be measured with box scores/stats.

It was just an off night for him and his teammates, it was naive for anyone (esp Bill Simmons) who thought Denver would willingly roll over and be swept.

Now the Wolves are in a dog fight, but I do think they have the maturity and belief to close this series out, esp with Gobert going to work in the paint.

I half expect a should Denver trade Joker if they lose game 4, the cold takes on this board after one game is absolutely hilarious!

I was with you 100% until you Minnesota are in a dog fight. Not yet. Denver made an adjustment but they also lost 2 at home. Now Minnesota gets to make the adjustment for game 4 and they are at home. Huge advantage for them. If Denver wins game 4 then you have a dog fight.
doogie_hauser
Rookie
And1: 1,578

Post#19 » by doogie_hauser » Sat May 11, 2024 5:50 am

IamBBAnalysis wrote:
doogie_hauser wrote:Didn't we have this same conversation about KAT not so long ago ?

To.summise no.

I was with you 100% until you Minnesota are in a dog fight. Not yet. Denver made an adjustment but they also lost 2 at home. Now Minnesota gets to make the adjustment for game 4 and they are at home. Huge advantage for them. If Denver wins game 4 then you have a dog fight.

I can Imagine the psychological pressure both internally and externally on the Wolves for Game 4 would be massive, esp as many of their players haven't been this far in the playoffs before (least with The Wolves)

It's going to be a big task for Chris Finch and his coaching team to make sure his players are psychologically tuned in/switched in for game 4.

It definitely will be the most high stakes game of any in these playoffs so far.

I would go as far and say whoever wins that game will go on to win the championship (I have very little confidence in my Celtics right now sadly)
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,449

Post#20 » by Mr Peanut » Sat May 11, 2024 5:52 am

You should take the larger sample size of the Wolves record for the two seasons before they got Gobert and the two seasons since and you'll have your answer.

Return to The General Board