Jokic is not the best in the world, and has been heavily overrated (NOW YOU CAN CHANGE VOTES)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Has Jokic been overrated?

Yes
18%
No
82%

Total votes: 644

UglyBugBall
Pro Prospect
And1: 764

Jokic is not the best in the world, and has been heavily overrated (NOW YOU CAN CHANGE VOTES) 

Post#1 » by UglyBugBall » Tue May 7, 2024 8:41 am

I've been saying this since his first mvp. He's an incredible system player, but he lacks competitive fire and toughness to be an ATG player. His MVP as a 6 seed will be locked at as THE worst mvp season in history. It'll make the Rose and Nash wins seem unanimous.

Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work. He can't take over without that second punch on the perimeter the way other ATGs could. Now that Murray has been exposed, so has Jokic. What's funny is that those really watching told you this year's ago when he only got the sixth seed without him.

To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him. Last year he took advantage of an injured field, and a weakened conference in a transition year. He had Murray playing like a superstar and to his credit got it done. But his awards don't match his greatness and in a few years everyone will come around to what I'm saying here right now.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,968

Re: Jokic is not the best in the world, and has been heavily overrated 

Post#2 » by Domejandro » Tue May 7, 2024 8:51 am

Absolutely not, Minnesota just matches up outrageously well against Denver. Karl-Anthony Towns is absolutely elite at containing one-on-one against his match-up, which allows Minnesota to completely dry up any passing opportunities (especially when Rudy Gobert is allowed to roam).

People are just completely behind on appreciating how great Karl-Anthony Towns is defensively, when he doesn't commit stupid fouls.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,658

Post#3 » by eyeatoma » Tue May 7, 2024 8:52 am

UglyBugBall wrote:I've been saying this since his first mvp. He's an incredible system player, but he lacks competitive fire and toughness to be an ATG player. His MVP as a 6 seed will be locked at as THE worst mvp season in history. It'll make the Rose and Nash wins seem unanimous.

Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work. He can't take over without that second punch on the perimeter the way other ATGs could. Now that Murray has been exposed, so has Jokic. What's funny is that those really watching told you this year's ago when he only got the sixth seed without him.

To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him. Last year he took advantage of an injured field, and a weakened conference in a transition year. He had Murray playing like a superstar and to his credit got it done. But his awards don't match his greatness and in a few years everyone will come around to what I'm saying here right now.

100% agree, but social media will hate this take. Hold down the fort, because this is clear as day.
pontius
Pro Prospect
And1: 2,143

Post#4 » by pontius » Tue May 7, 2024 8:53 am

Embiid :lol:
MMyhre
Suspended
And1: 616

Post#5 » by MMyhre » Tue May 7, 2024 8:56 am

I vote yes, because I actually he think he did a little bit of an Embiid with the regular season statpadding for MVP chase, and its taken a toll on his body so he is probably banged up at this point, thus not able to perform at his best. Even if its harder to tell with his non-athletic playstyle, small injuries add up and will hinder you from performing movement patterns at your best and most comfortable level ++.

I also think he should have worked more seriously on his athleticism, instead of just accepting that he is slow, because there are ways to enhance athleticism for EVERYONE, you just have to be open minded and put the work in and gradually change problem areas that limit your different types of movement/poor relative strength/mobility issues etc.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,281

Post#6 » by BDM22 » Tue May 7, 2024 8:57 am

Recency bias goes crazy
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,209

Post#7 » by UcanUwill » Tue May 7, 2024 9:07 am

Worst MVP in history? At least now we know who is Gilbert Arenas burner account here. Lacks something to be all time great? He is being all time great just fine with all the lackness. Jokic doubters, not sure why ones would exist if they even watched him play basketball, has felt supressed for a while, so now they feel a chance to be accepted. This loss mirrors politics. People felt the need to hide their Neo conservatism, but now all of sudden they feel in power, like Jokic haters think writting that Jokic is worst MVP is suddenly perfectly fine. Yeah, its still asinine take, and Denver taking an L didn't actually change that.

Also, people who accuse Jokic of statpadding, they obviously never even watched him play a game.
WhatTheBuck
Junior
And1: 349

Post#8 » by WhatTheBuck » Tue May 7, 2024 9:15 am

Waiting for a stat geek to give us some justification for Jokic not being a cone on defense.

Some times you've just got to trust your eyes.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,328

Post#9 » by SlimShady83 » Tue May 7, 2024 9:21 am

All time ... Not even close .... Last season I'd say yes... This season mmmm still not sure but It's close

Not a fan not a hater.
My Personal Top 10 all time
Jordan, Russell, Bird, Duncan, Magic, Kobe, Curry, Shaq, Kareem, Bron

Top 5 will always be the same, 6-10 will change from time to time :)
I'm a Kobe fan
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,484

Post#10 » by brutalitops » Tue May 7, 2024 9:23 am

Elite defensive team plays elite defense

Op- "IT MUST BE BECAUSE THIS PLAYER SUCKS"
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,968

Post#11 » by Domejandro » Tue May 7, 2024 9:26 am

WhatTheBuck wrote:Waiting for a stat geek to give us some justification for Jokic not being a cone on defense.

Some times you've just got to trust your eyes.

Nikola Jokić is a very solid defensive player when his perimeter defenders adequately contain. He just isn’t someone who has the capacity to consistently clean up the mistakes of other defenders.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,934

Post#12 » by kuclas » Tue May 7, 2024 9:32 am

Jokic is great. I say this as an embiid fan.

But nba is a team game. Jokic like any great player needs his second best player to play like a top 20 nba player. Murray isn’t healthy. Plus he didn’t play well.

Add to that Minnesota is very good.

Denver wasn’t tested last season because of some luck in playing much lower seeds. Now they are in trouble.
guynumber45
Ballboy
And1: 76

Post#13 » by guynumber45 » Tue May 7, 2024 9:36 am

brutalitops wrote:Elite defensive team plays elite defense

Op- "IT MUST BE BECAUSE THIS PLAYER SUCKS"

Lmao it's funny how in NBA discourse, we never give credit to a team for limiting the opposing player. It's always "Player X is a fraud and has always been overrated"

Fact of the matter is, Nikola Jokic would still dominate 28 teams in the NBA. He just so happens to be playing the one team in the NBA that has a unique set of personnel to limit his effectiveness. Give Tim Connley and the Wolves credit for this.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,170

Post#14 » by HMFFL » Tue May 7, 2024 9:37 am

Here come the takes when a player happens to not be playing their best.

Minnesota has the size to defend Jokic but the OP doesn't understand the game apparently.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,581

Post#15 » by PhilBlackson » Tue May 7, 2024 9:37 am

The Playoffs brings out the best hot takes lol
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: WembGod - Face of the NBA Universe
Names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
FreeBird23
Junior
And1: 1,142

Post#16 » by FreeBird23 » Tue May 7, 2024 9:38 am

He is a great player. One of the last ones to know the fundamentals of basketball.
Defense is his weakness for sure.

He is not overrated when it comes to talk about MVP and best player in the NBA right now. Because he is.

But he is overrated by fans who think that he is better than Shaq, Lebron, Duncan or Hakeem. I dont think he will reach the level of those guys.

He could ends up as a top 15 All Time, he is 29yo and can still win more rings/awards.
art_tatum
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,220

Post#17 » by art_tatum » Tue May 7, 2024 9:45 am

So much for him being better than peak steph or Lebron.
Kd put up a better fight last series
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,537

Post#18 » by CodeBreaker » Tue May 7, 2024 9:48 am

From one of the greatest peaks to... now all of a sudden, Jokic is overrated lmaoo
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,299

Post#19 » by Archx » Tue May 7, 2024 9:50 am

Why are there so many overractions about Jokic lol? Dude is forever going to be a champion and multiple MVP. Even if he losses this year, that doesn't change much. Wolves are simply a crazy tough matchup for anyone and Denver basically has no bench.
web123888
Sophomore
And1: 105

Post#20 » by web123888 » Tue May 7, 2024 10:34 am

LeBron was still probably the worst MVP and vastly inferior to Rose.

Return to The General Board