Pat Riley to Jimmy Butler: If you aren’t on the court you should keep your mouth shut

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,465

Re: Pat Riley to Jimmy Butler: If you aren’t on the court you should keep your mouth shut 

Post#41 » by Woodsanity » Mon May 6, 2024 6:42 pm

Losing Butler at this point wouldn't be a huge loss. He is getting older and he doesn't even try much in regular season.

Pat Riley ain't wrong. Clownish behavior to talk big while riding the bench.
UglyBugBall wrote:Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work.
To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him.

:lol:
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,314

Re: Pat Riley to Jimmy Butler: If you aren’t on the court you should keep your mouth shut 

Post#42 » by Capn'O » Mon May 6, 2024 6:46 pm

That's basically an announcement that the Heat are moving on from Butler. Let the sweepstakes begin.

ChipotleWest wrote:Damn, now Butler might want to leave. Riley should have kept his mouth shut. :lol:

Riley knows precisely what the consequences of his words are.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,269

Post#43 » by Lalouie » Mon May 6, 2024 6:49 pm

G35 wrote:People want to be able to say whatever they want without any consequences.....

you mean like,,,,players and presidents alike right
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,868

Post#44 » by cgf » Mon May 6, 2024 6:51 pm

Capn'O wrote:That's basically an announcement that they're moving on. Let the sweepstakes begin.

ChipotleWest wrote:Damn, now Butler might want to leave. Riley should have kept his mouth shut. :lol:

Guess that answers what big star we were bringing in before hitting the second apron next summer :lol:
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,380

Post#45 » by canada_dry » Mon May 6, 2024 6:53 pm

I just saw a clip of him saying it lol

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#46 » by Capn'O » Mon May 6, 2024 6:55 pm

cgf wrote:
Capn'O wrote:That's basically an announcement that they're moving on. Let the sweepstakes begin.

Guess that answers what big star we were bringing in before hitting the second apron next summer :lol:

It makes a lot of sense for us. Riley damn sure would want Deuce.
BAF Clippers

cgf
RealGM

Post#47 » by cgf » Mon May 6, 2024 6:59 pm

Capn'O wrote:
cgf wrote:

Bogey + Mitch + Deuce + minimum contract would be enough to match for Jimmy...but I wouldn't be surprised if Pat asked for one of the Nova boys instead.

Brunson - Butler - Anunoby - Randle - Hartenstein
Deuce/DDV - DDV/Hart - Achiuwa - Sims
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager
And1: 3,803

Post#48 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Mon May 6, 2024 7:06 pm

cgf wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
cgf wrote:

Bogey + Mitch + Deuce + minimum contract would be enough to match for Jimmy...but I wouldn't be surprised if Pat asked for one of the Nova boys instead.

Not my team, but I wouldn't do it. Jimmy is a lot older than everyone else on that team. Different timelines. You trade all those depth pieces for what, a year or two of Jimmy before he declines even further? Robinson in particular is an effective defensive/rebounding presence inside that you would miss.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 20,297

Post#49 » by Zeno » Mon May 6, 2024 7:12 pm

Who is going to realistically want to sign 35 year old Jimmy Butler to an extension? It is going to be a bad deal the minute it is signed just like Paul George's new deal will be. To me Riley signed old Lowry to a deal to make Butler happy. He doesn't want to do that again and is looking for a way out.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Eagle4
Sixth Man
And1: 2,023

Post#50 » by Eagle4 » Mon May 6, 2024 7:13 pm

cgf wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:Pat Riley embodies Heat Culture. Not the guy yapping from the bench, while his team gets obliterated in 4/5 games.

Butler is the reason "Heat Culture" isn't just a joke. Before Jimmy saved that franchise, Pat had them on the treadmilliest of treadmills after LeBron left.

False, you must have forgot Bosh's blood clots. It completely derailed Heat's future after Bron. In '16, Heat traded for Goran. They got to game 7 of the 2nd round WITHOUT Bosh (and Whiteside) so one could conclude they at least make the ECF that year and still be competitive onwards as Bosh's game undoubtedly translates to this current NBA (even late in career). Funny enough he compliments Bam's game perfectly.

He definitely whiffed on Tyler Johnson, Whiteside etc but it was short lived. You act like Miami was in the gutter for a whole decade. They still made the playoffs multiple times despite being injury plagued then was able to acquire Jimmy Butler with Josh Richardson as the key piece. It's not like Butler just decided to sign via FA. Since Heat didn't have cap space, he had to make integral moves such as pawning Whiteside bloated contract onto Portland, which then allowed Riley to get Jimmy.
cgf
RealGM

Post#51 » by cgf » Mon May 6, 2024 7:15 pm

OldSchoolNoBull wrote:
cgf wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

Not my team, but I wouldn't do it. Jimmy is a lot older than everyone else on that team. Different timelines. You trade all those depth pieces for what, a year or two of Jimmy before he declines even further? Robinson in particular is an effective defensive/rebounding presence inside that you would miss.

I'm more thinking through out what it could look like than arguing for it...but I'm not sure it's all that much depth that we'd be losing. Jimmy would be replacing whichever of Deuce/DDV/Hart Riley wanted, meaning we'd only be losing Mitch & Bogey.

Robinson is awesome, but we've got two starting centers...so I'm not sure how realistic keeping both of them long term is, unless their bromance really is just otherworldly. Especially with Sims developing well as our 3C and Achiuwa giving us a viable small ball 5 option.

So we could be losing Mitch either way, and we've got in-house options to backfill for his departure.

I know a lot out of it is our fault, but Bogdanovic really hasn't played a significant role for us and I think that it's very likely that he wouldn't have been our target if Randle had been healthy. So with Julius coming back and Precious carving out a niche for himself, Bogey might end up getting Fournier'd next season if he's not traded.

cgf
RealGM

Post#52 » by cgf » Mon May 6, 2024 7:23 pm

Eagle4 wrote:
cgf wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:Pat Riley embodies Heat Culture. Not the guy yapping from the bench, while his team gets obliterated in 4/5 games.

Butler is the reason "Heat Culture" isn't just a joke. Before Jimmy saved that franchise, Pat had them on the treadmilliest of treadmills after LeBron left.

False, you must have forgot Bosh's blood clots. It completely derailed Heat's future after Bron. In '16, Heat traded for Goran. They got to game 7 of the 2nd round WITHOUT Bosh (and Whiteside) so one could conclude they at least make the ECF that year and still be competitive onwards as Bosh's game undoubtedly translates to this current NBA (even late in career). Funny enough he compliments Bam's game perfectly.

He definitely whiffed on Tyler Johnson, Whiteside etc but it was short lived. You act like Miami was in the gutter for a whole decade. They still made the playoffs multiple times despite being injury plagued then was able to acquire Jimmy Butler with Josh Richardson as the key piece. It's not like Butler just decided to sign via FA. Since Heat didn't have cap space He had to make moves such as pawning Whiteside bloated contract onto Portland, which then allowed Riley to get Jimmy.

Not seeing how one series win without LeBron or Jimmy proves what I said was false...

Chessboxer
Analyst
And1: 688

Post#53 » by Chessboxer » Mon May 6, 2024 7:25 pm

mademan wrote:
Edrees wrote:I'm pretty sure jimmy butler would respect pat riley for saying something like this

Maybe to his face. Saying it to the media makes jimmy look like a bish

There is no doubt Riley would say it to his face :lol:
" What I do is attack your ability. I don't have to stand over you and taunt you. You'll know when it's done that I'm better."

-Micheal Jordan
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,381

Post#54 » by G R E Y » Mon May 6, 2024 7:30 pm

bisme37 wrote:Doomsayer promoting doom.

Read on Twitter

After LBJ's departure, Riley has taken a more pro-active approach. He knows exactly what Butler can do, got him anyway, and is willing to cut bait sooner rather than Butler antics in the locker room later.

Riley publicly declared Butler's diminishing returns on and off the court. I'd be surprised if Butler's on the Heat roster this upcoming season.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,764

Post#55 » by CoP » Mon May 6, 2024 7:30 pm

I agree with Riley here.

However, Riley's best asset as an executive for the Heat is the team being in Miami.
Bloodbather
Junior
And1: 526

Post#56 » by Bloodbather » Mon May 6, 2024 7:32 pm

Knowing what I know about the team and seeing some of the reports, I have the feeling this "be on the court" sentiment about Jimmy isn't limited to the Celtics series.

Him not giving a **** about the RS cost us seeding in back-to-back seasons. I love him as a player and for what he's done for the Heat, but I totally understand Riles being sick of his crap.
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,666

Post#57 » by NCHeels2008 » Mon May 6, 2024 7:35 pm

G R E Y wrote:

Read on Twitter

After LBJ's departure, Riley has taken a more pro-active approach. He knows exactly what Butler can do, got him anyway, and is willing to cut bait sooner rather than Butler antics in the locker room later.

Riley publicly declared Butler's diminishing returns on and off the court. I'd be surprised if Butler's on the Heat roster this upcoming season.

Butler could be a nice piece for some contenders
Bloodbather
Junior
And1: 526

Post#58 » by Bloodbather » Mon May 6, 2024 7:37 pm

Pat Riley doesn't embody Heat culture, he is Heat culture. Everything we associate with the Heat is his ethos. It's Pop and the Spurs and Riles and the Heat, no other examples.

cgf wrote:

Heat Culture is the reason Butler wanted to go there in the first place.
cgf
RealGM

Post#59 » by cgf » Mon May 6, 2024 7:39 pm

Bloodbather wrote:

Pat Riley doesn't embody Heat culture, he is Heat culture. Everything we associate with the Heat is his ethos. It's Pop and the Spurs and Riles and the Heat, no other examples.

cgf wrote:

Heat Culture is the reason Butler wanted to go there in the first place.

Yeah, that's true too. That was definitely a marriage that both sides really needed at the time.

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#60 » by Capn'O » Mon May 6, 2024 7:40 pm

G R E Y wrote:

Read on Twitter

He probably already has suitors and trades in mind.

I remember back in 1995 after a poor showing he went on a tirade about the Knicks' stunning lack of professionalism. Little did we know, the fax was already written.
BAF Clippers

Return to The General Board