Shams: Paul George won’t accept less than a max offer, Clippers offering less.

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,130

Re: Shams: Paul George won’t accept less than a max offer, Clippers offering less. 

Post#81 » by Mr B » Mon May 6, 2024 7:16 pm

When all is said and done Paul George will get his max contract but it will be in a trade centered around George for Anthony Davis.
dirkdiggler4177
Rookie
And1: 1,308

Re: Shams: Paul George won’t accept less than a max offer, Clippers offering less. 

Post#82 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Mon May 6, 2024 7:32 pm

People saying the Clippers need to rebuild don't know that the Clippers don't have their own pick til 2030. Rebuilding is impossible for them, they are stuck.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,995

Post#83 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon May 6, 2024 8:18 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:People saying the Clippers need to rebuild don't know that the Clippers don't have their own pick til 2030. Rebuilding is impossible for them, they are stuck.

This is bull and demonstrably false. Many teams seemingly devoid of assets have rebuilt. Again, the 2017 and 2018 Clippers literally just did similar. Doc kept trading all of their 1sts for years and had no desirable picks because Doc kept attaching them to move guys. Gutted their aging Lob City team for a few picks, knocked it out of the park with margin moves and suddenly found itself loaded with assets. You just have to be okay not being good for a year or two. But it’s inevitable and needs to be done.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
srhcan
Veteran
And1: 1,718

Post#84 » by srhcan » Mon May 6, 2024 8:21 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is great for the Clippers if true. Yes, it means the SGA trade and era was a bust (could see that years ago). But it also will force them into a rebuild sooner than later most likely which is much needed. PG isn’t worthy of more than 25 per year, let alone 50.

Edit: one other potential positive 4D chess move is currently Kawhi will likely refuse to accept a trade without drama. If they let PG+Harden walk and Uncle Dennis gets pissed and they demand a trade… win win for everybody. Maybe the Warriors will give up a pick and we will take Wiggins or someone? Kawhi stays in CA

Trade him to Magic for Franz Wagner, Wendell Carter Jr. and Fultz.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#85 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon May 6, 2024 8:22 pm

Read on Twitter

Lmao

levon
RealGM
And1: 23,433

Post#86 » by levon » Mon May 6, 2024 8:25 pm

Mr B wrote:When all is said and done Paul George will get his max contract but it will be in a trade centered around George for Anthony Davis.

Clippers have no tradeable firsts.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,467

Re: Shams: Paul George appears headed for a Clippers exit. 

Post#87 » by dygaction » Mon May 6, 2024 8:26 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:That doesn’t mean he’s leaving. It means that he’s going to use other teams to secure a max deal from the Clippers.

Not happening. If so the Clippers are toast. Clearly they’ve been negotiating a year. If the Clippers cave now they are stupid. It will mean in a year they would lose Mann and Zubac. Mann and Zubac should be traded for whatever picks you can get and let PG+Harden walk for nothing. Take the L, get into reload sooner.

Are they going to have a new arena opening with year round 30% audience?
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#88 » by dygaction » Mon May 6, 2024 8:29 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:Seems to me that Paul's agent has been negotiating in good faith with the Clippers for a good while now. Unsuccessfully.

So, now comes the bad faith part of negotiations. Where you leak rumors and have your client say things designed to move the Clippers position. I think the Clippers will eventually cave. Maybe being able to have a partial guarantee or something on the final year. Some small concession by Paul to get this across the finish line. But, I think it's going to get ugly first, and the Clippers may have been better off just caving early before things became public and ugly.

It may be stupid money, but there will be other teams lining up to be stupid.

PG owes Clippers nothing. It was Kawhi's year after year injury wasting his prime and post prime, so no reason for him to take less than Kawhi.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,931

Post#89 » by basketballRob » Mon May 6, 2024 8:33 pm

srhcan wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is great for the Clippers if true. Yes, it means the SGA trade and era was a bust (could see that years ago). But it also will force them into a rebuild sooner than later most likely which is much needed. PG isn’t worthy of more than 25 per year, let alone 50.

Edit: one other potential positive 4D chess move is currently Kawhi will likely refuse to accept a trade without drama. If they let PG+Harden walk and Uncle Dennis gets pissed and they demand a trade… win win for everybody. Maybe the Warriors will give up a pick and we will take Wiggins or someone? Kawhi stays in CA

Trade him to Magic for Franz Wagner, Wendell Carter Jr. and Fultz.
The Magic could just sign him with cap space if you're talking about George.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,433

Post#90 » by sol537 » Mon May 6, 2024 8:39 pm

Clips will extend George and Harden and they will die on the George, Harden, Kawhi hill for another two seasons.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#91 » by dygaction » Mon May 6, 2024 8:40 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
mademan wrote:
In what world is Paul George walking better for LA then paying him and trading him in 6 months? He should just do what he did with OKC. Take a 4 year contract with LAC with max raises with the understanding that he'll be gone by the TDL. He gets his money, they get some value

Teams give out max contract, because they dont want to lose an asset, and then need to atach picks to get rid of it. Happens all the time, and people still stepping on the same rake every god damn summer. While PG13 is still good, what are you getting for him under max money? It will be his 15th. season (thats is crazy by the way, it seems like last year I wondered how this young kid will mesh with Danny Granger...).

What I rather have, PG13 locked under multi year max at age 35, or nothing? I take nothing... But Balmer doesn't care for a rebuilds, he will pay and regret.

Surround Kawhi by a **** team of young guys trying to earn contracts for a year, let Harden and PG walk for nothing.Kawhi demands a trade, you get couple things for him. It’s 4D chess. It’s the RIGHT, but less likely path. I can rebuild this team in 2 years.

That way do any of PG13 and Kawhi get jersey retired for leading Clippers to their only WCF in franchise history?
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#92 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon May 6, 2024 8:42 pm

dygaction wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:That doesn’t mean he’s leaving. It means that he’s going to use other teams to secure a max deal from the Clippers.

Not happening. If so the Clippers are toast. Clearly they’ve been negotiating a year. If the Clippers cave now they are stupid. It will mean in a year they would lose Mann and Zubac. Mann and Zubac should be traded for whatever picks you can get and let PG+Harden walk for nothing. Take the L, get into reload sooner.

Are they going to have a new arena opening with year round 30% audience?

You may wanna check attendance numbers during bad years. The Clippers aren’t the Hornets or something.. they were selling out Staples in 20-30 win years. It’s the nicest, newest arena in basketball with outdoor courts and a huge outdoor theater showing of the game. Many people will go, even non Clippers fans.

Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 12,951

Post#93 » by Chuck Everett » Mon May 6, 2024 8:43 pm

If he won't accept 3 years, I wonder who will offer him 4/200? I mean his age would scare me. After all the money he's made, he won't even compromise on the number of years. They offered him 3/150 and that's not enough after all the failure. I mean, whatever.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
xb3at band1tx
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,702

Post#94 » by xb3at band1tx » Mon May 6, 2024 8:44 pm

levon wrote:
Mr B wrote:When all is said and done Paul George will get his max contract but it will be in a trade centered around George for Anthony Davis.

Clippers have no tradeable firsts.

PG is closer to Tobias Harris at this stage of his career lmao, him for AD is hilarious considering Davis still gives top 10 production both in the RS and Playoffs.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,218

Post#95 » by kenwood3333 » Mon May 6, 2024 8:45 pm

What has PG done in LA to warrant another max contract?
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,615

Post#96 » by DOT » Mon May 6, 2024 8:49 pm

No win scenario here

Their core is getting older, but they don't have the picks to rebuild, and they really can't trade anyone for anything worth their value. Suns are in a similar situation, but Booker still has trade value if they want to nuke it, Clippers really have nothing going for them. But someone's always doing something dumb, so maybe they could finesse some team looking to make a splash

I think you gotta just give PG the max and get it over with.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Meeksology
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,661

Post#97 » by Meeksology » Mon May 6, 2024 8:53 pm

Froob wrote:Is it possible for George to be S&T'd for KAT? I know Wolves are still in it and playing great, I'm just a KAT hater

:lol: :lol: And1 for the honesty! lol
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,433

Post#98 » by sol537 » Mon May 6, 2024 8:54 pm

DOT wrote:No win scenario here

Their core is getting older, but they don't have the picks to rebuild, and they really can't trade anyone for anything worth their value. Suns are in a similar situation, but Booker still has trade value if they want to nuke it, Clippers really have nothing going for them. But someone's always doing something dumb, so maybe they could finesse some team looking to make a splash

They'll run back the same squad, basically, while resting Kawhi for half or more of the season and they'll make some tweaks to the bench. Westbrook won't be back. Treadmill team at this point, but they'll make the playoffs at least.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#99 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon May 6, 2024 9:01 pm

DOT wrote:No win scenario here

They don’t have A LOT of value but I think Zubac and Mann are better than PJ Washington or Gafford who Dallas sent out 1sts for. Lots of inferior players have gotten 1sts in recent years. These are 26 year old starters on a 50 win team on cheap deals. I also think Powell and Bones could get you a couple 2nds maybe. Kawhi if you can get the Warriors interested could get you a pick.

It only takes 1-2 good draft assets and a couple smart margin signings or trade wins to be back in it. Hell no the answer is not to give PG the max.

Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,520

Post#100 » by Snotbubbles » Mon May 6, 2024 9:04 pm

dygaction wrote:
jazzfan1971 wrote:Seems to me that Paul's agent has been negotiating in good faith with the Clippers for a good while now. Unsuccessfully.

So, now comes the bad faith part of negotiations. Where you leak rumors and have your client say things designed to move the Clippers position. I think the Clippers will eventually cave. Maybe being able to have a partial guarantee or something on the final year. Some small concession by Paul to get this across the finish line. But, I think it's going to get ugly first, and the Clippers may have been better off just caving early before things became public and ugly.

It may be stupid money, but there will be other teams lining up to be stupid.

PG owes Clippers nothing. It was Kawhi's year after year injury wasting his prime and post prime, so no reason for him to take less than Kawhi.

PG is going to play a desperate team with cap space (the Sixers) against the Clippers to get LA to give him a max.

Return to The General Board