Shams: Paul George won’t accept less than a max offer, Clippers offering less.

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

ryguy613
Sixth Man
And1: 1,756

Re: Shams: Paul George appears headed for a Clippers exit. 

Post#61 » by ryguy613 » Mon May 6, 2024 6:40 pm

mademan wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:That doesn’t mean he’s leaving. It means that he’s going to use other teams to secure a max deal from the Clippers.

Not happening. If so the Clippers are toast. Clearly they’ve been negotiating a year. If the Clippers cave now they are stupid. It will mean in a year they would lose Mann and Zubac. Mann and Zubac should be traded for whatever picks you can get and let PG+Harden walk for nothing. Take the L, get into reload sooner.

In what world is Paul George walking better for LA then paying him and trading him in 6 months? He should just do what he did with OKC. Take a 4 year contract with LAC with max raises with the understanding that he'll be gone by the TDL. He gets his money, they get some value

why would it make sense for George to take a max contract from the Clippers with knowledge that they will ship him anywhere they want instead of taking the max from another team of his choosing? Yes, his current list of suitors is limited, but at least he would decide his destination. What you're describing sounds a lot like what happened to Blake Griffin... howd that turn out?
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,840

Re: Shams: Paul George won’t accept less than a max offer, Clippers offering less. 

Post#62 » by madmaxmedia » Mon May 6, 2024 6:41 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:I don't think anyone is going to offer him 4 years/$200M+, nor would he be much of a trade asset on that contract.

Clippers are probably willing to give him same deal as Kawhi, 3 years/~$150M- you're probably cutting the really painful years by half on a 3 vs. 4 year deal. He is a tradable asset on a 3 year deal in December which is better than losing him for nothing. I do think someone (Phila most likely) would also offer that same contract, then it's up to PG what he takes. But IMO that's the situation now and until PG makes a decision.

3 years/135 with a 3rd year only partially guaranteed in case he’s hard to move.

In a vacuum, I agree. But when you take the actual market into account, I don't think that's enough for Clippers to re-sign him as someone would surely top that IMO- especially if 3rd year is only partially guaranteed. PG is going to shop around even if Clippers offer 3 guaranteed years.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,260

Re: Shams: Paul George won’t accept less than a max offer, Clippers offering less. 

Post#63 » by Edrees » Mon May 6, 2024 6:42 pm

Some of you guys are crazy if you dont think some team wouldn't offer PG13 the absolute max. Whether you think he is worth it or not doesn't matter, some teams will value him there.

He's going to get max offers, tell the Clippers give me this offer or I walk, and they either give it to him or he gets it somewhere else.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,887

Post#64 » by SK21209 » Mon May 6, 2024 6:43 pm

I really don't think PG is a good fit for the Magic. They need someone with more juice off the dribble and PG has lost that first step. I think they're much better suited going after Monk at a lower price.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#65 » by madmaxmedia » Mon May 6, 2024 6:44 pm

ryguy613 wrote:
mademan wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:
Not happening. If so the Clippers are toast. Clearly they’ve been negotiating a year. If the Clippers cave now they are stupid. It will mean in a year they would lose Mann and Zubac. Mann and Zubac should be traded for whatever picks you can get and let PG+Harden walk for nothing. Take the L, get into reload sooner.

In what world is Paul George walking better for LA then paying him and trading him in 6 months? He should just do what he did with OKC. Take a 4 year contract with LAC with max raises with the understanding that he'll be gone by the TDL. He gets his money, they get some value

why would it make sense for George to take a max contract from the Clippers with knowledge that they will ship him anywhere they want instead of taking the max from another team of his choosing? Yes, his current list of suitors is limited, but at least he would decide his destination. What you're describing sounds a lot like what happened to Blake Griffin... howd that turn out?

I think the list of suitors is essentially Philadelphia. What you say is 100% correct, depending on what Philly is looking at. PG is likely an option for them, but may certainly not be their #1 option. So there's a bit of a game of chicken going on all around.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,750

Post#66 » by Dirk » Mon May 6, 2024 6:46 pm

Players underperform on the big stage and still expect to be paid the 'max'. :noway:
60/21/10
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,548

Post#67 » by JustBuzzin » Mon May 6, 2024 6:46 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:I don't think anyone is going to offer him 4 years/$200M+, nor would he be much of a trade asset on that contract.

Clippers are probably willing to give him same deal as Kawhi, 3 years/~$150M- you're probably cutting the really painful years by half on a 3 vs. 4 year deal. He is a tradable asset on a 3 year deal in December which is better than losing him for nothing. I do think someone (Phila most likely) would also offer that same contract, then it's up to PG what he takes. But IMO that's the situation now and until PG makes a decision.

You obviously don't know Mr. Morey in Philly is the GM. Trust me the max will be on his table the moment FA starts.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 371

Post#68 » by WentzerWuver » Mon May 6, 2024 6:50 pm

Blaze4G wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is great for the Clippers if true. Yes, it means the SGA trade and era was a bust (could see that years ago). But it also will force them into a rebuild sooner than later most likely which is much needed. PG isn’t worthy of more than 25 per year, let alone 50.

25 per year is ridiculously low. PG is worth around 40 million per year.
No it's not when he already earned over 350 mil in his career but now it'd better to prevent the team from improving their roster?

Failed
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,995

Post#69 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon May 6, 2024 6:53 pm

Dirk wrote:Players underperform on the big stage and still expect to be paid the 'max'. :noway:

Just turned 34 and put up 19 ppg as the 1st option vs Dallas on mediocre shooting. Literally 60-70 NBA players could replicate that production.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
ryguy613
Sixth Man
And1: 1,756

Post#70 » by ryguy613 » Mon May 6, 2024 6:54 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
ryguy613 wrote:
mademan wrote:

I think the list of suitors is essentially Philadelphia. What you say is 100% correct, depending on what Philly is looking at. PG is likely an option for them, but may certainly not be their #1 option. So there's a bit of a game of chicken going on all around.

Philly and Orlando, from what I understand. I would normally scoff off Orlando as a serious threat, but they could be pretty interesting.
donkki
Assistant Coach
And1: 609

Post#71 » by donkki » Mon May 6, 2024 6:54 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:How can the Clippers rebuild with no picks until 2030? They've backed themselves into a corner.

People have a poor concept of trade value. Guys like PJ Washington and Gafford commanded 1st round picks last year. Rebuilding this team isn’t really that hard. Zubac and Mann would almost certainly bring in a mid-late 1st round pick. They are 26 year old good impact starters on cheap deals and bird rights. Powell could probably get you a couple 2nd’s. Trade Kawhi to the Warriors so he can stay in CA and get a pick or two.

Now you have 2-3 1sts, a swap in 2029 and a couple 2nds. Then they also create 150+ mill cap space and have a real shot to try to poach Mitchell or Brunson in free agency (Tatum almost certainly won’t walk). Next year you run bunch of young, unproven, hungry guys. If Bones/Boston Jr blow up which is quite possible, now you trade them for picks.

It’s not hard, it just takes a good FO and good drafting.

Brunson? Jalen Brunson? He'll more likely retire as a Knick, with a couple of championship when it's all said and done. Certainly he won't be available for the Clippers.
Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Post#72 » by Special_Puppy » Mon May 6, 2024 6:55 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:That doesn’t mean he’s leaving. It means that he’s going to use other teams to secure a max deal from the Clippers.

Tanking when you don't own any of your own picks is insane.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#73 » by madmaxmedia » Mon May 6, 2024 7:01 pm

ryguy613 wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:
ryguy613 wrote:

Philly and Orlando, from what I understand. I would normally scoff off Orlando as a serious threat, but they could be pretty interesting.

I agree, but I feel like they would be insane to offer a 4 year deal. They'd be entering the bad contract years just as their young guys are entering their primes.
Roy T
Pro Prospect
And1: 909

Post#74 » by Roy T » Mon May 6, 2024 7:02 pm

mademan wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:

What idiot trades for a 35 year old with a substantial injury history on a 4 year max contract with max raises? The guy is good for like 60 games per season and will likely miss a lot of games in the post season as well.

The old guys need a reality check and accept lower amounts of money. They got paid in the past already, what do they need the money for for gods sake?
Roy T
Pro Prospect
And1: 909

Post#75 » by Roy T » Mon May 6, 2024 7:04 pm

donkki wrote:Brunson? Jalen Brunson? He'll more likely retire as a Knick, with a couple of championship when it's all said and done. Certainly he won't be available for the Clippers.

Y'all Brunson nuthuggers will be sooo disappointed when he hangs em up with zero championships... The delusion is real. Thats like Linsanity on steroids.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#76 » by madmaxmedia » Mon May 6, 2024 7:06 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:You obviously don't know Mr. Morey in Philly is the GM. Trust me the max will be on his table the moment FA starts.

OkcSinceSGA wrote:Just turned 34 and put up 19 ppg as the 1st option vs Dallas on mediocre shooting. Literally 60-70 NBA players could replicate that production.

One one hand I could see him offer a max, OTOH the series that just ended is Exhibit A on why no one should be offering him 4 guaranteed years. I still have a hangover over it so it is clouding my thinking, but most Clipper fans are over him at this point.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,564

Post#77 » by mademan » Mon May 6, 2024 7:07 pm

Roy T wrote:
mademan wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:

What idiot trades for a 35 year old with a substantial injury history on a 4 year max contract with max raises? The guy is good for like 60 games per season and will likely miss a lot of games in the post season as well.

The old guys need a reality check and accept lower amounts of money. They got paid in the past already, what do they need the money for for gods sake?

lol. He will be offered a max. Why would he accept less money than would be on the table? Would you?
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,869

Post#78 » by dhsilv2 » Mon May 6, 2024 7:09 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
mademan wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:

He will be 35 next summer. Unless it’s like a 2-3 year deal no team is taking him. Also I thought Clippers can’t trade him for a year due to being over second apron.

I could see 40 years with a structure like 40 40 30 30 or something like that. 25 does feel low.
Hans1984
Pro Prospect
And1: 334

Post#79 » by Hans1984 » Mon May 6, 2024 7:12 pm

He's not worth the max anymore.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,564

Post#80 » by mademan » Mon May 6, 2024 7:15 pm

Hans1984 wrote:He's not worth the max anymore.

....to the clippers. He's worth the max to the Sixers, who have a small window of opportunity to put a max contract beside Embiid/Maxey, play in a weak East and only have about 3-4 or so years of contention with Embiid left. Even if PG is overpaid, Philly only has this once chance to get a really good player for only cap space

Return to The General Board