Magic go star-chasing

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Magic's main target should be ...

Poll ended at Mon May 13, 2024 3:21 pm

Pascal Siakam
8%
OG Anunoby
13%
DeMar DeRozan
7%
D'Angelo Russell
6%
Malik Monk
24%
Bruce Brown
3%
Klay Thompson
26%
Buddy Hield
1%
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
6%
Tyus Jones
7%

Total votes: 144

doogie_hauser
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,331

Re: Magic go star-chasing 

Post#41 » by doogie_hauser » Mon May 6, 2024 7:17 pm

Rumours on Twitter suggest Devin Booker could potentially be traded to the Thunder or Spurs. The Magic should throw their hat into the ring too (if that rumour has any legs)
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,542

Post#42 » by GSWFan1994 » Mon May 6, 2024 7:28 pm

MrBigShot wrote:How is Klay winning this poll? He's not an impact player anymore.

I made a dozen different accounts and voted for him.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,929

Post#43 » by HotelVitale » Mon May 6, 2024 7:39 pm

basketballRob wrote:[=]Philadelphia will have to gut their team to sign him, and the Magic wouldn't.

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
cgf wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote: Reed is the only player besides Embiid under contract for next season.
I thought it wasn't guaranteed for next season because they lost in round 1? https://www.spotrac.com/nba/player/_/id/70700/paul-reed

Didn't realize that. He's a bargain though, seems like an easy decision to hold onto him. He played well when Embiid was sidelined and that's bound to happen again.

He didn't play well w/o Embiid unfortunately, was a pretty disappointing season and I don't expect him back.

Sixers situation is pretty odd, tons of money around and no one on the team was very good besides Maxey and Embiid in the PO. But like bball Rob said signing a max FA and bringing back a couple cheap guys maybe doens't make them better either. Hence seems like the plan is to get that 3-star core together, re-sign a few guys, and then keep trading for and finding other pieces.

They only have about $65m in contracts next year (just Maxey and Embiid) so they're able to play with about $60m this offseason--but that's only $10m if you count in a max deal. Seems like they'll try to do that and maybe keep Oubre, Lowry, and/or Batum, but if they don't get a max guy they might try to bring back most of the band (or anyone who doesn't ask for crazy $) and use their picks and money beneath the lux tax to keep star-hunting. Morey's usually good in these situations but it's tough to even find the ideal outcome here.
magicsanta
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#44 » by magicsanta » Mon May 6, 2024 7:55 pm

SUPERVILLAIN wrote:Note: The listed options are subjectively selected by me. I chose players who I believe would be open to go to Orlando if the money is right.

The list makes very little sense, linked to Klay and PG they're clearly looking for elite 3pt shooting, no indication they'd make any other type of splash as of yet
A lonesome morning
magicsanta
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#45 » by magicsanta » Mon May 6, 2024 7:57 pm

Onus wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:Hopefully they offer the max to Klay.

This! Please this.

But really they need a real pg that can get easier shots for them. Who can also shoot. We can also trade you cp3 as a filler until that player becomes available.

I don't blame you for not having been watching the Magic but NO, they went positionless a long time ago, they're clearly looking for elite shooting as the ball handling is shared between Suggs, Wagner and Banchero in the starting line up
A lonesome morning
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,233

Post#46 » by MagicMatic » Mon May 6, 2024 8:00 pm

Hopefully not. The defense is really good without bbq chicken legs.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,931

Post#47 » by basketballRob » Mon May 6, 2024 8:06 pm

doogie_hauser wrote:Rumours on Twitter suggest Devin Booker could potentially be traded to the Thunder or Spurs. The Magic should throw their hat into the ring too (if that rumour has any legs)
At 21:00, they talk about trading Booker to Orlando.

https://youtu.be/4MoFL-7qB-Y?feature=shared

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,372

Post#48 » by Onus » Mon May 6, 2024 8:06 pm

magicsanta wrote:
Onus wrote:

This! Please this.

But really they need a real pg that can get easier shots for them. Who can also shoot. We can also trade you cp3 as a filler until that player becomes available.

I don't blame you for not having been watching the Magic but NO, they went positionless a long time ago, they're clearly looking for elite shooting as the ball handling is shared between Suggs, Wagner and Banchero in the starting line up

It’s not the ball handling it’s about setting up an offense that isn’t just isolation and drives by those 3 players. Just feels like Paolo and franz can get easier shots if they had someone setting them up.

But yes shooting is priority 1.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,590

Post#49 » by jkvonny » Mon May 6, 2024 8:09 pm

SUPERVILLAIN wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:This could be a dangerous offseason for Orlando. When a team that isn't a desirable FA destination has a ton of cap space, overpaying is simply going to happen. You hope the contracts aren't too bad. Russell seems like a good option to start with.

Sh*t. You're exactly right. This golden opportunity could turn into years of nightmare if they acquire the wrong guy.
Same thing with Spurs, Nuggs, Bucks, Pacers etc.
Happens to a lot of mid/small teams if you dont play your cards right. Orlando has to be very smart and careful what they do. Dont be too reckless. Dont want to handicap the future.

Signing Klay, old slowing down, to a big contract would hurt Orlando IMO.
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,590

Post#50 » by jkvonny » Mon May 6, 2024 8:12 pm

Lot of players on the poll is old or gettin there. On the way down.

D Lo is still youthful, less expensive etc. Good scorer.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 371

Post#51 » by WentzerWuver » Mon May 6, 2024 8:13 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:Gordon Hayward? Was that put there as a joke?
He was a superstar in his prime like all those other guys.....didn't you get the memo?
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,647

Post#52 » by shi-woo » Mon May 6, 2024 8:23 pm

I'm not so sure this is the year ORL wants to blow their cap space. Obviously if you can get Paul George you do it, but that's the ony player i'm breaking the bank for.

I would much rather go for KCP out of all the guys you mentioned, as he brings shooting, defense, and that ever valuable Champ experience. Then see what happens next year in FA

Right now their team is fairly solid contract wise, and they are going to have to pay Suggs Franz, and Isaac after next year, and Poalo the year after. They really lucked into Cole and Carter Jr taking extremely friendly deals, and I don't see them doing that again.

Anthony Black was the #6 pick last year, and was drafted to be a shooter. That's literally the only thing he showed. With Harris and Okeke being free agents, I think bringing in another Vet to play 25 mins a night who can mentor him and Suggs would be a good idea. Klay wouldn't be bad but i'm not signing him to more than 2 years, so he's probably staying in GS.

I think more importantly they need to replace Fultz minutes, as I don't see him coming back with his shooting woes. I don't like the idea of signing DLo, and think Tyus would be a better fit as a back up point.

Carter JR- Wagner
Poalo- Isaac
Wagner- jet
Cole- Black
Suggs

Magic are going to have 40-60 minutes to give Black/Jet more burn, and whoever they find in FA. That's a lot of time, and they shouldn't waste it on playrs like DLo or Demar. They still have next year to make another move
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 341

Post#53 » by trebone » Mon May 6, 2024 8:25 pm

See if Riley would trade us Herro into capspace with something going back, with signs pointing to moving Butler they may want to do a quick reset.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,233

Post#54 » by MagicMatic » Mon May 6, 2024 8:52 pm

I like how the title of this thread is “star chasing” and then you listed no stars.
Message Boar
Analyst
And1: 1,903

Post#55 » by Message Boar » Mon May 6, 2024 8:54 pm

Thread title and poll don't really match, now do they?
JimmyFromNz
Pro Prospect
And1: 900

Post#56 » by JimmyFromNz » Mon May 6, 2024 9:00 pm

If those are the options - I choose 'do nothing'.

This is a very young team with some great promise, but this also isn't the off season to start dropping long term money when the talent pool is so small. The likes of Bill Simmons want to talk it into existence...

Keep your powder dry.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,132

Post#57 » by The Real Dalic » Mon May 6, 2024 9:13 pm

Mr Funk wrote:
Bob Ross wrote:Need a scoring/play making guard.

Orlando needs that or a wing so badly, a legit number one option and a much younger Jimmy Butler would be ideal. They can address some of their shooting woes via free agency, but I think they should look to make a trade to get that first option.

The Magic have a legit number 1 option. A young Jimmy Butler would be nice as a 2nd option though.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,922

Post#58 » by RookieStar » Mon May 6, 2024 9:46 pm

Im kinda confused.... I understand the thread but the title is " star-chasing" A lot of those names aren't "Stars"
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,568

Post#59 » by eyriq » Mon May 6, 2024 9:50 pm

jbsays wrote:I read trading a pick for Duncan Robinson and absorbing his salary. He's on the books for $19 mil next season and only partial guarantee of $9.9 million in 25-26. Not as big name of other guys, but less risky than dumping a bunch long term of money on someone like Klay Thompson.

They need a playmaking scorer next to Suggs and shooting. If they added Robinson it would be a low risk move to help with shooting.

Derozan is going to be 35 next year. Not sure how much you want to sink in to him long term, but atleast he could help them get some buckets.
Love this idea. Good chemistry with the Wagners, and a great player.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,568

Post#60 » by eyriq » Mon May 6, 2024 9:52 pm

I'm all in on Klay for Orlando.

Return to The General Board