Is Anthony Edwards the undisputed 2nd best Timberwolves player ever behind KG?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

life_saver
General Manager
And1: 6,153

Re: Is Anthony Edwards the undisputed 2nd best Timberwolves player ever behind KG? 

Post#21 » by life_saver » Sun May 5, 2024 4:46 am

Read on Twitter
B_Creamy
Pro Prospect
And1: 847

Re: Is Anthony Edwards the undisputed 2nd best Timberwolves player ever behind KG? 

Post#22 » by B_Creamy » Sun May 5, 2024 4:47 am

Of course.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,189

Post#23 » by UcanUwill » Sun May 5, 2024 5:22 am

lambchop wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Wolfgang630 wrote:He could never make the playoffs

. To me, Minny Kevin Love was epitome of empty stats, most rebounds he got, his team would have gotten anyway, points he scored, other guy could have scored. He was not the guy who would give you a lot when no one else really could. Wasn't a fan.

With pretty much all of his points being assisted, how do you imagine someone random role players simply replacing his shooting? Also, regarding the rebounds, he was a monster on the offensive glass, despite living outside of the paint. The usual excuse for those kind of players is that they simply aren't close enough to the basket to get rebounds. So, no, no one was grabbing those 14 rpg.

That said, he was clearly more of a 2nd option in his prime, due to his inability to create offense for others or truly draw double teams consistently, unless he was flaming hot.

Offensive rebounds are hard to replicate, so yes, good point and I agree it was very valuable and not empty. Pek was also amazing offensive rebounder, probably the best in a league at a time, maybe he could have gotten it, but hey, now I am just being an a-hole :lol:

Kevin Love was a very good player, but I just think, even at a time, he was wildly overrated cause of his statline. I remember his discussion very well, people were asking is Kevin Love a superstar, and the responses were, how is a guy who averages 25/14/4 not a superstar? I dont know, but he just wasn't, I think he was very good third guy on a team, which he ultimately became, but he was not a superstar, Bosh was better than him IMO. Man was chubby, pretty, good in the post and from 3, but he aint sniffing Anthony Edwards.

I remember liking that team a lot, I loved their starting 5 and thought they were huge underachievers. But in retrospect, I was pretty stupid, because a team with Pekovic and fat Kevin Love as your bigmen, Kirileno and Rubio as your perimeter spacers, and Shved as a 6th. man... that does not feel as winning combination as it felt 10 years ago...
Roy T
Pro Prospect
And1: 911

Post#24 » by Roy T » Sun May 5, 2024 5:35 am

Garnett, Sprewell, Love, Edwards.

Thats wussup
Handlez
Junior
And1: 643

Post#25 » by Handlez » Sun May 5, 2024 5:47 am

UcanUwill wrote:
Wolfgang630 wrote:
HotRocks34 wrote:Fat Kevin Love was pretty good for Minny

He could never make the playoffs

ANT is definitely better than Love, Kevins impact was never as good as his stats and we knew it even at a time. He was Domantas Sabonis, but probably with even less impact, I know it was very unpopular opinion at the time, but rookie Rubio was arguably more impactful, Rubio was actually creating things and playing amazing defense. To me, Minny Kevin Love was epitome of empty stats, most rebounds he got, his team would have gotten anyway, points he scored, other guy could have scored. He was not the guy who would give you a lot when no one else really could. Wasn't a fan.

Ant is way bigger and better star than love was, stats isnt even close to being everything. David Lee and Love had same or even better stats than Pau Gasol, but Pau was way better than both, just an example.

Terrible disrespect of Love.

Ant has incredible help at every position, offensively and defensively.

Surround him with Love's team and see what happens.
Ito
General Manager
And1: 814

Post#26 » by Ito » Sun May 5, 2024 5:59 am

He already the go to guy in the clutch for them, KG was lacking that in his wolves years
AbeVigodaLive
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,534

Post#27 » by AbeVigodaLive » Sun May 5, 2024 6:00 am

LOL.

Yes. Yes... he is. There's absolutely no debate about it.

Remember, the Timberwolves are/were the worst franchise in NBA history. And there was absolutely no debate about that either. And that means that there weren't a lot of great players in 35 years.

Kevin Garnett

Kevin Love or Karl Anthony-Towns

Al Jefferson, Sam Cassell (two years), Wally Szczerbiak, Ricky Rubio, Tom Gugliotta, Kevin Martin, Terrell Brandon... and a few other of those types.
AbeVigodaLive
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,534

Post#28 » by AbeVigodaLive » Sun May 5, 2024 6:01 am

Ito wrote:He already the go to guy in the clutch for them, KG was lacking that in his wolves years

Anthony Edwards (or even a poor man's version) is the guy the Wolves desperately needed during Garnett's career in Minnesota. It was painfully obvious.

Those two on the same team would be magical. Give me any three marginal NBA players and I think that team competes into the playoffs.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,341

Post#29 » by lambchop » Sun May 5, 2024 7:23 am

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Ito wrote:He already the go to guy in the clutch for them, KG was lacking that in his wolves years

Anthony Edwards (or even a poor man's version) is the guy the Wolves desperately needed during Garnett's career in Minnesota. It was painfully obvious.

Those two on the same team would be magical. Give me any three marginal NBA players and I think that team competes into the playoffs.

Imagine the tenacity and trash talk of those two on the court together. Plus, they both have a knack for instilling confidence on their teammates
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer
And1: 952

Post#30 » by bubonicphoniks » Sun May 5, 2024 7:27 am

You could make the argument I guess after one playoff series win.

But is it disputable? Absolutely.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,099

Post#31 » by cupcakesnake » Sun May 5, 2024 4:37 pm

AleksandarN wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:There is no competition for this honour.
If you have Ant better than Love and Kat, then Ant is the 2nd best Wolfie ever.

After Love and Kat, things drop off a cliff. Szerbiak. Sam Mitchell. Rubio, Terrell Brandon, one healthy year of Cassell. Gugliotta, Laettener, Pekovic, Gorgui Dieng! How about Andrew Wiggins or Anthony Peeler?

There aren't even that many guys who have stacked up a lot of games/seasons on the Wolves.
In only 2 seasons, Gobert is already probably in the top 5 for me. Ant is easily in the top 2.

Is he chop liver or something. Lol

I'm fine with calling him chopped liver if I don't have to say his name!

Starbury played 167 games for us. His rookie and second season. He wasn't like amazing looking back, but I'm nostalgic for that moment in time because it felt like we were legitimately up and coming. We got swept by Hakeem/Barkley in 1997. That was the first year I followed the NBA! Then we pushed the Sonics to the brink and it felt like we were on brink of a golden era. Instead Marbury forced his way out, and we ended up with a series of replacements who all broke down (Brandon, Hudson, Cassell) or left before they got good (Billups).

Starbury was the template of a good, obtainable co-star for KG. A low-efficiency aggressive playmaker was all that was really needed to build a dangerous team around KG. But we never found that until Cassell, but he was 34 and couldn't even make it through the 1st year's playoff run and then it was over.

So not sure how to value Marbury on the Wolves. Exciting young player (who sort of proved over time that he wasn't that valuable or good), who left the Wolves before he could really bring any value to the franchise. It's fair to mention him because other guys on this list also only had brief tenures, but Marbury also gets penalized for screwing us over for no good reason!
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#32 » by cupcakesnake » Sun May 5, 2024 4:44 pm

Roy T wrote:Garnett, Sprewell, Love, Edwards.

Thats wussup

Sprewell? Like, Latrell Sprewell?

Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,934

Post#33 » by Dirk » Sun May 5, 2024 4:48 pm

He has overtaken Joe Smith?
60/21/10
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#34 » by cupcakesnake » Sun May 5, 2024 5:32 pm

Dirk wrote:He has overtaken Joe Smith?

I was pretty mad when we traded away all those first round picks for Rudy, considering we could have simply gotten rid of them entirely by signing a guy like Kyle Kuzma to an illegal contract.

Roy T
Pro Prospect
And1: 911

Post#35 » by Roy T » Sun May 5, 2024 8:13 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:

Thats wussup

Put some respec on his name
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 19,122

Post#36 » by playa-hater » Sun May 5, 2024 8:25 pm

Better question is will he even stay as long As KG?? Superstars do like Warmer climates or Bigger Cities etc
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,866

Post#37 » by jkvonny » Sun May 5, 2024 8:57 pm

playa-hater wrote:Better question is will he even stay as long As KG?? Superstars do like Warmer climates or Bigger Cities etc

I think so. Possibly. Depends if they retain success as long as the KG teams.
But these Wolves have better potential, younger and depth than those KG teams back then.
xchange55
Senior
And1: 526

Post#38 » by xchange55 » Sun May 5, 2024 9:31 pm

DonaldSanders wrote:Kevin Love was 2nd team All-NBA the year before going to the Cavs (before everyone pretends he wasn't a star in yet another LeBron star trio). 26.1/12.5/4.4 on 59.1 TS% - Ant just had 25.5/5.4/5.1 on 57.5 TS%

Two years before that Love finished 6th in MVP voting. Now Ant may pass Love with this postseason performance, but regular season so far I score to Kevin Love.

Yes how dare you call Lebron's teams super teams. Bosh Love Kryie were all overrated. DWade and AD were declining stars when Lebron played with them. All of those All NBA and All Star appearences, I mean each NBA roster has closets full of those trophies right?

I don't do fantasy sports, but I remember my buddy was telling me Love was top 3 for a few years. I mean you don't put up those kind of numbers without being quite impactful.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#39 » by cupcakesnake » Sun May 5, 2024 9:33 pm

Roy T wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:

Thats wussup

Put some respec on his name

queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,074

Post#40 » by queridiculo » Sun May 5, 2024 9:40 pm

His trajectory right now is greated Timberwolves player ever.

Hard arguing against him having eclipsed everybody but Garnett at this point.

Return to The General Board