Zero chance Denver repeats...(Fault the front office)

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,140

Re: Zero chance Denver repeats...(Fault the front office) 

Post#61 » by jazzfan1971 » Sun May 5, 2024 1:27 pm

I think by extension of this logic there is zero chance anyone wins a title this year.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,804

Post#62 » by ConSarnit » Sun May 5, 2024 2:17 pm

crows2 wrote:
Roseability wrote:Bruce Brown is not better than Peyton Watson. Also, Christian Braun has improved. Denver has a solid three man bench though not deep bench.

Bruce Brown is absolutely better than Watson. I’ve said a few times that Denver is weaker than they were last year because of their substandard bench. They could still win the championship, but it won’t be in dominant fashion like last year’s was.

Watson might be a better defender than Brown but he’s a big downgrade offensively. Denver’s transition game is suffering because they don’t have Brown to push the pace. Brown is a better shooter, passer and ball handler/creator than Watson. Watson is still at the point of his career where he is a near offensive zero in the playoffs and that’s a big downgrade from Brown.

If Brown were on this team he’d be playing 25mpg. There’s a reason Watson is playing 10mpg.
UglyBugBall
Senior
And1: 730

Post#63 » by UglyBugBall » Sun May 5, 2024 2:48 pm

People calling Jokic an all-time great, yet in the same paragraph admit that he requires a good bench to win championships. This is exactly why I don't consider Jokic an all-time great yet. He's required the services of Jamal and good benches to win before. You remove the help around him and he's a regular superstar, not a champion.
lessthanjake
Sixth Man
And1: 1,393

Post#64 » by lessthanjake » Sun May 5, 2024 3:03 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:People calling Jokic an all-time great, yet in the same paragraph admit that he requires a good bench to win championships. This is exactly why I don't consider Jokic an all-time great yet. He's required the services of Jamal and good benches to win before. You remove the help around him and he's a regular superstar, not a champion.

Every player in history requires a really good team to win a championship. Even Jordan and LeBron and Kareem never won titles without it. The question is just where that line is. If Murray plays like he’s played so far in the playoffs, then the Nuggets don’t actually have a really good team, especially when you also take their bench into account. With a bad Murray and not much depth, there’s just not enough there for the team to win—especially against the type of teams they’re going to have to play to win the title (including, most pertinently right now, the Wolves). Of course, we’ll see how things go moving forward. Only Game 1 has happened so far, and obviously it’s quite possible the Nuggets will win the series. But if they do, it’d almost certainly have required Murray to start playing much better. That’s not an indictment on Jokic, but rather just a realistic assessment of what it takes for even the best players to win a title. And, for my part, I’ll note that I repeatedly said before the playoffs even started that the Nuggets need Murray to not have a reversion to the mean in terms of playoff performance, in order to actually win. And I’ve said that despite also thinking Jokic is the best basketball player I’ve ever seen. So this view is not a reaction to Game 1 of this series, but rather a view that I’ve held all along.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,203

Post#65 » by RRyder823 » Sun May 5, 2024 3:21 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:People calling Jokic an all-time great, yet in the same paragraph admit that he requires a good bench to win championships. This is exactly why I don't consider Jokic an all-time great yet. He's required the services of Jamal and good benches to win before. You remove the help around him and he's a regular superstar, not a champion.

Start drinking early today before typing that did ya?

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
UglyBugBall
Senior

Post#66 » by UglyBugBall » Sun May 5, 2024 3:26 pm

RRyder823 wrote:

If you want to argue that Jokic won last year without the services of Jamal and a good bench, be my guest.
Cubbies2120
Head Coach
And1: 8,708

Post#67 » by Cubbies2120 » Sun May 5, 2024 3:28 pm

Doesn't require a good bench to win championship, just not 0 point 1st halves from his 2nd best player would be a great start...

"Regular superstars" don't win 3 MVPs in 4 years...lay off the bottle this early...
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,281

Post#68 » by xdrta+ » Sun May 5, 2024 3:29 pm

Some people don't realize that no matter how good one player is, it's actually a team game.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,203

Post#69 » by RRyder823 » Sun May 5, 2024 3:30 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:

If you want to argue that Jokic won last year without the services of Jamal and a good bench, be my guest.

If u want to argue that any champion in history has won without a good team you're drunk

UglyBugBall
Senior

Post#70 » by UglyBugBall » Sun May 5, 2024 3:32 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:

Doesn't require a good bench to win championship, just not 0 point 1st halves from his 2nd best player would be a great start...

"Regular superstars" don't win 3 MVPs in 4 years...lay off the bottle this early...

The fact is Jokic has required a second star to win it last year. This year we'll see if he can get it done himself like other all time greats, or if he is a system player.
CS707
General Manager
And1: 6,380

Post#71 » by CS707 » Sun May 5, 2024 3:35 pm

I thought the expectation of good teams is that they run it bad anyway? RGM is such a moving target.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 361

Post#72 » by WentzerWuver » Sun May 5, 2024 3:46 pm

Handlez wrote:Champions have to tinker with roster if they hope to repeat.

Denver did nothing and lost a great role player in Brown.

It's absolutely insane they didn't do anything they could to help an all time great player in his prime.

If Minny doesn't end them, Dallas/OKC or Boston will.

They simply can't keep up without substantial help off the bench.

Denver front office should be ashamed.
Obviously 0 chance makes you unqualified and a liar unless you always tend to exaggerate.

At smart poster at least use slim chance when down 0-3 but the Nuggets true chance is down from 95% to 84% at worst and I am being generous for the Wolves.
Cubbies2120
Head Coach
And1: 8,708

Post#73 » by Cubbies2120 » Sun May 5, 2024 3:47 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:

The fact is Jokic has required a second star to win it last year. This year we'll see if he can get it done himself like other all time greats, or if he is a system player.

So first it was he needs a great bench, now he needs a 2nd star...

If he wins it all this year he's a top 10 player...2 rings, 3 MVPs, 2 FMVPs under 30 years old ...but I'm sure you'll come up with other arguments against it in your head ;)

Which other all-time greats are you referring to winning multiple rings without a star player?

Can't be:
Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, Jordan, LeBron, etc. so I'm curious who you're comparing him to...
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,248

Post#74 » by LLJ » Sun May 5, 2024 3:50 pm

Man, all this stuff about Bruce Brown. You won't find many Raptor fans in here singing the praises of Bruce Brown...
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,155

Post#75 » by MrSparkle » Sun May 5, 2024 3:55 pm

Sixth men for the most dominant champs since the 90s:

Bulls - BJ then Kukoc
Rockets - Cassell
Lakers - Horry
Spurs - Manu
Lakers pt 2 - Odom/Bynum
Heat - Ray
Warriors - Iguodala (finals mvp)

List goes on. You need 10 guys to win a ring. 1 major rotation player (even a defender) is a big hit for any contender. Tricky part is retaining the depth while salaries increase.
Gusto1903
Sixth Man
And1: 2,397

Post#76 » by Gusto1903 » Sun May 5, 2024 3:55 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:

Tell me one Superstar, that wins the Title by himself lol
Its still a teamgame
On the Alperen Sengün hypetrain since 2020
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 3,046

Post#77 » by BelgradeNugget » Sun May 5, 2024 3:55 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:

Name me other all time greats that have done it by themselves
sammo89
Junior
And1: 206

Post#78 » by sammo89 » Sun May 5, 2024 3:56 pm

Top 5 point differential is always the best predictor of true contenders. This season's top 5 was

1. Celtics
2. OKC
3. Minnesota
4. Denver
5. Knicks

I think everyone was just underrating the Wolves. They're fair competition for Denver this season
xchange55
Senior
And1: 526

Post#79 » by xchange55 » Sun May 5, 2024 3:56 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:The Nuggets all year have had way more close games than what you'd expect for a team that won 57 games. My sense is that because they're the defending champs and they've been getting everyone's best shot night after night. It really has worn them down.

Everyone was talking about the Nuggets as some god tier team last year on the way to the title. They won "only" 53 games that year. What makes the team special is Joker. You need to beat him 4 out of 7 with his home court advantage. Playing a series is much different than playing 7 regular season game stretch where you're playing probably 5 to 7 different teams. You get to game plan much better and try to stop what the other team has working. Problem is when it's a Joker level talent, you can't really stop him, you can only try to limit him. Been saying many times on these boards, Murray/Gordan/MPJ are nice players yes, they have no All Star or All NBA accolades. This is no super team, but they do have a superstar player yes.
Godymas
Veteran
And1: 2,345

Post#80 » by Godymas » Sun May 5, 2024 4:00 pm

Denver is all in on their starting 5. The problem is if you build a team to directly counter their starting 5 which is what Minnesota is designed to do.

It just so happens that the GM of the current Timberwolves team also happened to be the GM that built the championship Denver Nuggets.

Return to The General Board