2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL WINS 4-2)

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who wins and goes to the WCFs?

Thunder in 4
3%
Thunder in 5
9%
Thunder in 6
21%
Thunder in 7
12%
Mavericks in 4
1%
Mavericks in 5
4%
Mavericks in 6
39%
Mavericks in 7
10%

Total votes: 323

namlede
Sophomore
And1: 122

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks 

Post#121 » by namlede » Sat May 4, 2024 7:58 pm

Shai looked human last series but no disrespect to Dallas I don’t think they have a herb level defender. They got better rim protectors in Lively and Gafford but will they have to close out on Chet? and how will the rotations look like when OkC has them scrambling.
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,338

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks 

Post#122 » by sfernald » Sat May 4, 2024 8:01 pm

namlede wrote:Shai looked human last series but no disrespect to Dallas I don’t think they have a herb level defender. They got better rim protectors in Lively and Gafford but will they have to close out on Chet? and how will the rotations look like when OkC has them scrambling.

I also think people are underestimating JDub. I think he’s ready to make a leap to absolutely dominate in this series. As in, possibly if things broke right, he could be the best player on either Okc or Dallas. He has that potential if you’ve been watching him, absolutely unstoppable and making like 45% from three and driving and scoring at will on anyone.

Just check out his numbers on his very first playoff series.

.529 .389 .750 36.9min 21.3 7.3 5.0

Now bump that up to 42 minutes as it should be in a tough playoff series and also now he has some playoff experience in the bank. His regular season three point shooting was 42.7% actually for example.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,995

Post#123 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sat May 4, 2024 8:02 pm

namlede wrote:Shai looked human last series but no disrespect to Dallas I don’t think they have a herb level defender. They got better rim protectors in Lively and Gafford but will they have to close out on Chet? and how will the rotations look like when OkC has them scrambling.

If Dallas is hand checking and fouling as much vs SGA as they did PG/Harden… they will be giving him 15+ FT per game. Unlike PG, SGA WILL get the calls. Dallas is very underrated defensively, but yes 1 on 1 wing defenders I don’t expect SGA to play at the same lower level.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 12,964

Post#124 » by Chuck Everett » Sat May 4, 2024 8:07 pm

Looks like Kleber has a full on dislocation. I'm guessing he's out for the playoffs. That's a big loss.

Edit: I didn't realize someone had already posted Shams' tweet.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
namlede
Sophomore
And1: 122

Post#125 » by namlede » Sat May 4, 2024 8:08 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
Read on Twitter

OKC in 6.
the improvement from Shai year to year is just mind boggling. The crazy thing is I don’t think he has reached his peak. He will still get stronger which is one thing that can hold him back sometimes with stronger players and if he can reliably knock down the 3 it’s game over.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,548

Post#126 » by ChipotleWest » Sat May 4, 2024 8:24 pm

Maxi Kleber might be done for the playoffs.

DALLAS -- Mavericks reserve power forward/center Maxi Kleber will be sidelined indefinitely after suffering a third-degree dislocation of the AC joint of his right shoulder, sources told ESPN.

The injury could sideline Kleber for the remainder of the Mavs' playoff run, a source said.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/40083202/sources-mavericks-maxi-kleber-ac-joint-indefinitely
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,772

Post#127 » by Texas Chuck » Sat May 4, 2024 8:26 pm

Maxi being out really sucks.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
picc
RealGM
And1: 18,186

Post#128 » by picc » Sat May 4, 2024 8:35 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:I have the Thunder in six. Would love to see the Mavs push it to 7. OKC fanbase will be bonkers. I also think Shai will have a much easier time now that he won't be seeing Herb Jones.

I honestly don't think it will be that much easier with DJJ the way he's playing defense. I have legit never seen a player straight up block Harden and PG's shots one on one before the Clippers series.

OTOH, Dort is the best single defender Luka will have faced. But even though Dort is the best single defender so far, the rest of the Thunder are less equipped to defend than the rest of the Clippers were. And you know the Mavs will be switch hunting every possession.

So yes Dort > anyone on the Clippers. But Mann/Tucker/Westbrook/PG > Giddey/J-Dub/Shai/J-Dub. I include Shai even though he's a good defender because he's not the kind of defender that gives Luka problems. Too thin and not strong enough. J-Dub is good but inexperienced for a player of Luka's caliber. Chet is a better defender than Zubac but also inexperienced.

If Luka is healthy I expect him to eat this series unless Dort has the series of his life fighting through screens.
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,515

Post#129 » by rapstarter » Sat May 4, 2024 8:39 pm

picc wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:I have the Thunder in six. Would love to see the Mavs push it to 7. OKC fanbase will be bonkers. I also think Shai will have a much easier time now that he won't be seeing Herb Jones.

I honestly don't think it will be that much easier with DJJ the way he's playing defense. I have legit never seen a player straight up block Harden and PG's shots one on one before the Clippers series.

OTOH, Dort is the best single defender Luka will have faced. But even though Dort is the best single defender so far, the rest of the Thunder are less equipped to defend than the rest of the Clippers were. And you know the Mavs will be switch hunting every possession.

So yes Dort > anyone on the Clippers. But Mann/Tucker/Westbrook/PG > Giddey/J-Dub/Shai/J-Dub. I include Shai even though he's a good defender because he's not the kind of defender that gives Luka problems. Too thin and not strong enough. J-Dub is good but inexperienced for a player of Luka's caliber. Chet is a better defender than Zubac but also inexperienced.

If Luka is healthy I expect him to eat this series unless Dort has the series of his life fighting through screens.

Dort is too small for Luka. Less of an issue against Ingram, but Luka has and knows how to use his strength.

For all the good defenders OKC has, they don't really have a great individual match up against Luka (though tbf, not many teams do). What they've got going for is they are a much better defensive TEAM and Luka can't seem to make his 3s.
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,205

Post#130 » by BeiBeau » Sat May 4, 2024 8:40 pm

Chris Paul had the same injury in 2014 and missed 37 days. 37 days is June 10th.

Likely to miss the rest of the Mavs playoff run.

PJ is gonna need to play more and shot better.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,750

Post#131 » by Dirk » Sat May 4, 2024 9:07 pm

Hoopstar23 wrote:
Read on Twitter

tough loss, I feel he would have been a low-key factor in this series IMO

So sad. :cry: Felt like he was looking better and better. He's had some nasty injuries the last few seasons and even this season took a while to recover some of his form as he again was coming back from injury.

The Thunder dodge Zion in rd1 and now Maxi in rd2. They really are blessed this season.
60/21/10
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,919

Post#132 » by JShuttlesworth » Sat May 4, 2024 9:13 pm

Woah, I'm kind of surprised to see everyone siding with the Mavs here in the votes
Handlez
Junior
And1: 570

Post#133 » by Handlez » Sat May 4, 2024 9:15 pm

Kleber is a big loss.
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,593

Post#134 » by jkvonny » Sat May 4, 2024 9:33 pm

Sorry to hear, Mavs fans. About Maxi get well!
:( :pray:

Tuff series to call. Toss up to me. could go 6/7 games.
Probably leaning towards Thunder, HCA as well, deep team, youth. Mavs are hobbled/banged up. But, Dallas has more playoff experience, older proven vets.
business_casual
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#135 » by business_casual » Sat May 4, 2024 9:46 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:Woah, I'm kind of surprised to see everyone siding with the Mavs here in the votes

Most people on here don’t know much about the Thunder. When they get more games on national TV next year they will get caught up.
Petergrifindor
Rookie
And1: 1,509

Post#136 » by Petergrifindor » Sat May 4, 2024 9:47 pm

Losing Maxi is not good.

Injuries suck.
Petergrifindor
Rookie
And1: 1,509

Post#137 » by Petergrifindor » Sat May 4, 2024 9:51 pm

business_casual wrote:Most people on here don’t know much about the Thunder. When they get more games on national TV next year they will get caught up.

Or they saw the two games (third one was irrelevant) they played after the trades, and saw that OKC clearly lacks the size to oppose Gafford and Lively effectively.

And that's quite a problem. You can't win a 7 games series if you are being killed in the paint.
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,465

Post#138 » by Jimmy Recard » Sat May 4, 2024 9:59 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Jimmy Recard wrote:Surprised how many people have OKC comfortably. Mavs have looked like a genuine contender since the deadline and I really like the match up for them. They’ve got multiple good defenders to throw at SGA (DJJ, PJ, Josh Green, Exum), and Gafford/Lively aren’t gonna get bullied underneath against Chet like they did with Zubac. I think Luka is gonna be much more efficient than he was against the clippers as well. Mavs is 6.

Most voted for the Mavs to win the series. Agree with everything else. Not really worried about Mavs defenders at SGA but Shai is struggling for a while now and was a bit injured too.

Hadn’t even checked the voting yet, was just going by some of the responses on the first page. But fair enough. I think it’s gonna be a fun series, I like both teams. Could be the beginning of a rivalry who knows.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,157

Post#139 » by Archx » Sat May 4, 2024 10:06 pm

Getting worse and worse for Mavs.... Maxi out, THJ out, Luka with sprained knee, Gafford already had some back issues during the series. Ugh.
srhcan
Veteran
And1: 1,719

Post#140 » by srhcan » Sat May 4, 2024 10:19 pm

With both THJ and Maxi Kleber out, this might be a short series; OKC in 5?

Return to The General Board