Reality Check: Embiid is, in fact, HIM

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,858

Re: Reality Check: Embiid is, in fact, HIM 

Post#41 » by tsherkin » Wed May 1, 2024 10:46 pm

Hussien Fatal wrote:It’s clear most of the reason Embiid’s numbers drop in The playoffs is due to him being injured and another reason is he exerts much more energy on the defensive end in the playoffs so naturally his scoring numbers drop.

He is not the only player in league history to face these issues, though, so that does go only so far.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,435

Post#42 » by zimpy27 » Wed May 1, 2024 10:46 pm

Never facing conference finals or finals level competitors probably helps the stat out quite a bit.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,259

Post#43 » by DonaldSanders » Wed May 1, 2024 10:54 pm

tsherkin wrote:Just some food for thought.

Some nice posts out of you today, I just sat back with my beverage and enjoyed. :clap:
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,710

Post#44 » by rzzzzz » Wed May 1, 2024 10:55 pm

This year is one of the healthiest post seasons for Embiid. Even though he’s hobbled and he’s got Bels Palsy. Sixer fans hoped that because he had a little time to mend from the meniscus surgery (he chose to get a piece cut rather than the full heal to get back quicker), that outside of being out of shape, he’d actually be relatively healthy for this year’s post season. Injury is not the same thing as choking. And the truth is that Embiid’s enormous girth proves time in and time out to be more force than his lower frame can handle. A lot of folks compared him to the likes of Sam Bowie or Yao when he was drafted injured. And, unfortunately the nay sayers have proven mostly correct. Embiid has diligently improved his skills over the years and starts out like a monster each year after healing over the off season, the likes of which has never been seen. But he breaks so easily, he never lasts into the playoffs when it really counts.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by tsherkin » Wed May 1, 2024 11:07 pm

DonaldSanders wrote:
tsherkin wrote:Just some food for thought.

Some nice posts out of you today, I just sat back with my beverage and enjoyed. :clap:

Thanks, man. I appreciate it. :)
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,955

Post#46 » by HotelVitale » Wed May 1, 2024 11:15 pm

Ice Man wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote: Not trying to be a dick but it's so black and white, not to mention totally consistent with his regular season output.

Again, I don't understand. Joel's per 36 career averages -

Regular Season - 31/13/4, with a 62% TS%.
Playoffs - 25/11/3, with a 58% TS%.

That's a big drop-off.

I've said this a lot and it usually doesn't come off that well, but what the hell: a lot of the statistical drop that gets quoted is either a) old and from Embiid's first couple PO runs or b) because Embiid took it easy to nurse injuries in two first round blowout series against bad teams (the Westbrook Wiz and the DLo Nets, he averaged like 22/9 over those two series).

If you're just looking at series since like 2019 that mattered, Embiid's averaged more like 28/11 on 58% (quoting from memory so might be little off). Which is still a drop off, and not an excuse for the bunch of various mopey, bad body language games or halves he's had.

I do agree with OP's post thought that Embiid's offensive gravity and his rim protecting makes a huge difference even when he's sucking. Still not enough for me not to say he's a shaky/rough PO performer but it is definitely accurate.
picc
RealGM
And1: 18,316

Post#47 » by picc » Wed May 1, 2024 11:19 pm

The problem with calling Embiid "HIM", is that it waters the term down and makes you ask questions like if Embiid is "Him", then what is Joker? What is Lebron? What was MJ? They can't be "Him" because if Embiid qualifies for the term, it's clearly beneath them.

So either another term has to be made up to signify the levels ABOVE "Him", or "Him" has a range so broad that it loses all of its meaning.

I'm sorry but you'll have to pick one, OP. If you'd like us to sustain your objection that Embiid is in fact "Him", please pitch some alt titles we can use for the players clearly "Him-mier" than he.
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 16,464

Post#48 » by KnixtapeH20 » Wed May 1, 2024 11:27 pm

What?

If by him do u mean a cry baby bitch?

Agreed.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,844

Post#49 » by Roger Murdock » Wed May 1, 2024 11:34 pm

ShootersShoot wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:My hypothesis on why there’s such a big gap gap in perception of his talent is 76ers fans watch him play 40-50 times a season and dominate so they write off the 10 or so playoff games he struggles in.

Fans of other teams watch him play 5 times a season and then watch every playoff game and see him struggle and that’s what they base their perception off.

Do you really believe hardcore nba fans only watch embiid in the playoffs?
All time great level players are judged by their playoff successes and performances. Do you honestly think Embiid averaging sub 50% efg in the past two playoffs should abstain him from criticism because he is such a good RS performer?

Yes, I think most hardcore NBA fans watch more playoff games of Embiid than regular season in a given year. Especially people 25+ (almost everyone on this board)

When I was younger I’d watch probably 10 games a week and would have a game on constantly, including almost every Cavs game (75+ a year)

Having legit responsibility makes it way harder. Now I watch probably 55-60 RS Cavs games, maybe 30 non Cavs games a season. I’ll watch most playoff games.

I do closet follow the leather and check NBA news literally every day and listen to podcasts when commuting
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,508

Post#50 » by og15 » Wed May 1, 2024 11:41 pm

tsherkin wrote:
Hussien Fatal wrote:It’s clear most of the reason Embiid’s numbers drop in The playoffs is due to him being injured and another reason is he exerts much more energy on the defensive end in the playoffs so naturally his scoring numbers drop.

He is not the only player in league history to face these issues, though, so that does go only so far.

Yup, and his issue is injury and conditioning. The solution is actually likely that his scoring volume should go down in the post-season, while the perimeter guys take more load, and he can exert more impact on defense and the glass while not forcing offense.

Easier said than done, especially when the team is used to a certain style in the regular season.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by tsherkin » Wed May 1, 2024 11:50 pm

og15 wrote:Yup, and his issue is injury and conditioning. The solution is actually likely that his scoring volume should go down in the post-season, while the perimeter guys take more load, and he can exert more impact on defense and the glass while not forcing offense.

Easier said than done, especially when the team is used to a certain style in the regular season.

This is roughly the same conclusion I drew, as it happens.
canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,378

Post#52 » by canada_dry » Wed May 1, 2024 11:56 pm

Incredibly impactful. Theres no arguing that. I won't even try. Team is better with him on the floor. Even as a decoy when he isnt particularly playing well (see: game 5)

Having said that, his Losing/ shrinking/lack of leadership mentality wont win in playoffs and we've seen that play out over the years.

Its just as much mental as it is physical with embiid.

A player who's HIM needs to be able to perform to his capabilities in the playoffs and especially late in games. Not shrink.

As a #1 option too. Thats HIM. Even on your own Sixers forum people are coming to the realization that embiid is just not that guy and he needs to play #2 to maxey going forward healthy or not...Which btw i don't even really agree with necessarily. But its clearly the discourse right now on your own neck of the woods. So you coming here tooting the embiid horn when sixers fans themselves are jumping off that bandwagon is funny. :)

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,642

Post#53 » by CoP » Wed May 1, 2024 11:58 pm

Sixers starters' on/off for these playoffs:
Embiid: +72.2
Lowry: +28.1
Oubre: +18.2
Harris: +5.9
Maxey: -24.3

That's really all I need to see to know that looking at raw impact stats in small sample sizes in order to argue a point is not a good idea.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,609

Post#54 » by eyeatoma » Thu May 2, 2024 12:20 am

Read on Twitter

He is in fact him. His teammates sans Maxey not so much...

As always, he just needs to be healthy. Even unhealthy he drops 50, but he's not him. LOL wtf.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,383

Post#55 » by ItsDanger » Thu May 2, 2024 12:32 am

30 yrs old. Hasn't made conference finals yet.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,445

Post#56 » by robbie84 » Thu May 2, 2024 12:44 am

The dude has amazing stats, skill and raw talent but he's a foul baiter/hunter/flopper and doesn't play the game it was meant to be played.
He also has the emotional discipline of a 3 year old and purposely tries to injure other players.
The dude literally has more flagrant fouls than Draymond Green lol.

Basketball fans don't care about stats if you're not fun to watch AND you're a dirtball.

Embid has all the attributes to be remembered as a big man on Shaq's/Duncan/Garnett's greatness level but he'll ultimately be remembered as a Dwight Howard type 7 footer cry baby who's soul focus was getting to the free throw line exploiting awful loopholes in NBA defensive rules.

Lol @ comparing Embid to a living legend like Steph Curry :)
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#57 » by eyeatoma » Thu May 2, 2024 1:09 am

Read on Twitter
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#58 » by eyeatoma » Thu May 2, 2024 1:10 am

robbie84 wrote:The dude has amazing stats, skill and raw talent but he's a foul baiter/hunter/flopper and doesn't play the game it was meant to be played.
He also has the emotional discipline of a 3 year old and purposely tries to injure other players.
The dude literally has more flagrant fouls than Draymond Green lol.

Basketball fans don't care about stats if you're not fun to watch AND you're a dirtball.

Embid has all the attributes to be remembered as a big man on Shaq's/Duncan/Garnett's greatness level but he'll ultimately be remembered as a Dwight Howard type 7 footer cry baby who's soul focus was getting to the free throw line exploiting awful loopholes in NBA defensive rules.

Lol @ comparing Embid to a living legend like Steph Curry :)

This coming from a fan of team that spams 3 pointers like no team ever has. So enjoyable to watch. The Celtics literally live and die by the three.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,426

Post#59 » by Woodsanity » Thu May 2, 2024 1:21 am

So great he has lesser team success than Trae Young. :lol:
UglyBugBall wrote:Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work.
To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him.

:lol:
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 995

Post#60 » by Decipher » Thu May 2, 2024 1:23 am

Daily reminder that the Sixers without Embiid are barely a play in team & that’s probably generous

The roster sucks and the stats prove it as they’re 16-27 without him this season

Return to The General Board