Reality Check: Embiid is, in fact, HIM

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,935

Re: Reality Check: Embiid is, in fact, HIM 

Post#21 » by OhayoKD » Wed May 1, 2024 8:32 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:Below I've compiled a list of playoff on-court and on-off stats among volume scorers with large enough sample sizes. I'm not gonna waste too many words on an argument that is so clear in the data. If you're someone (you know who you are) that trashes Embiid's ability to win in the playoffs, you are objectively wrong. The only player with a better net rating (+/- per possession) is Steph Curry, an impact giant with 4 rings and 6 Finals runs. The only player with a better on-off is Luka, who (1) evolves into a demi-God in the playoffs and (2) has a sample of 32 games compared to Embiid's 58.

Spoiler:
Steph Curry: +7.6 / +12.0
Joel Embiid: +6.9 / +18.2
Kyrie Irving: +6.9 / +4.0
Kawhi Leonard: +6.9 / +3.8
LeBron James: +5.8 / +10.1
Jamal Murray: +5.1 / +10.9
Klay Thompson: +5.0 / -1.9
Giannis Antetokounmpo: +4.3 / +8.0
Anthony Davis: +4.2 / +10.3
Khris Middleton: +4.2 / +9.4
Kevin Durant: +4.2 / +2.4
Jayson Tatum: +3.5 / +5.4
Paul George" +2.7 / +11.8
James Harden: +2.6 / +7.2
Jaylen Brown: +1.7 / -4.7
Nikola Jokic: +1.4 / +3.3
Devin Booker: +0.5 / +2.9
Luka Doncic: +0.4 / +20.7
Jimmy Butler: +0.3 / +0.1
Jalen Brunson: -1.4 / -1.9
Bradley Beal: -1.6 / +3.7
Donovan Mitchell: -2.5 / +1.8
Trae Young: -5.0 / -3.3
DeMar DeRozan: -8.4 / -11.0

2 main points the haters seem to be missing/undervaluing:
- Embiid gets trapped by 2-3 players every time he touches the ball, which means his teammates get far better looks
- Defensive impact, in particular rim protection, doesn't get captured in box stats at all

Also worth noting that most of his playoff games have been against top tier defense like the historic '19 Raptors, various Celtic defensive juggernauts, and now a Knicks team that personifies defensive grit and discipline.

The Anti-Embiid arguments remind me so much of what D Rob went through. Common fans are oblivious to impact if it doesn't come in the form of scoring, but at the end of the day winning is the only thing that matters. Even if we get blown out by 50 tomorrow there is too much data in Embiid's favor to override a glaring conclusion: the Sixers win when he's on the court. He doesn't need injuries as an "excuse" for anything.

He is the himmiest when healthy but sadly he is never healthy when it matters therefore making him not him
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
famicommander
Sophomore
And1: 505

Post#22 » by famicommander » Wed May 1, 2024 8:38 pm

Call me when he makes a Conference Final.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,651

Post#23 » by tsherkin » Wed May 1, 2024 8:45 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:The Anti-Embiid arguments remind me so much of what D Rob went through.

TBF, D-Rob and Karl Malone went through this because they started being trash scorers against better defenses in the playoffs. Significant, large drop-offs in their ability to make shots. To an embarrassing degree in some cases.

Embiid is approximately a 28/11/3.5 guy in the RS on about 50/34/83 in the RS, at 61.5% TS, and +5.3 OBPM for a rude measure (acknowledging that stat in all its sundry imperfections, mind).

Come the playoffs, that changes to about 25/11/3 on about 46/29/82, at 57.9% TS and +2.8 OBPM.

There is a very visible, significant drop-off in his ability to maintain anything similar to the level of play which makes him so remarkable in the RS, on the offensive end. He exerts defensive impact, no question. There is also the truth that people a little bit oversell some specific games where he came up short. For example, in 2020 and 2021, he was a 60% and 63.1% TS guy in the playoffs (and +5.1 and +4.7 OBPM, at that). And in 2022, he was a 59% TS guy against a regular season average of 56.6% (playoff average the same).

So while he's struggling this postseason all over the place (game 3 notwithstanding) on offense, he's actually got a pretty good overall record as far as postseason performance. So where do we see the issues cropping up, that in mind? Performance relative to RS performance, sure, but let's look at it further to see what people are after.

He stank in 2018 and 2019, but those were also his 2nd and 3rd seasons in the league and his first two postseasons.

It is worth remembering that he's been a 59%+ TS guy in the RS since 2019, and since 2021? 63.6, 61.6, 65.5 and 64.4. During that same stretch, his postseasons have been at 63.1, 59.0, 56.1, 56.1 and 58.2.

Now, let's look at some specific games, yeah? This is probably where people get focused.

Philly got spanked 4-0 in 2020 by the Celtics. Having shot 47.7% from the field in the RS, Embiid shot 45.9% FG and couldn't hit a three in that series. It was a 60% TS series for him. He had a very efficient first game, led the game in scoring in games 2 and 3, then shot an uninspiring 8/18 in the final game, though that wasn't a huge deviation from his normal FG%. ANd he was 13/18 at the line. A little disappointing from an 80.7% FT shooter, but whatever.

Nothing to write home about there. A solid game, didn't have enough around him, much better opponent, etc.

Bashed the hell out of the Wizards in 2021. 7-game series against Atlanta. Opened the series with 39 and then 40. Put up a 58.8% TS series (playoff league average was 57.1%, Embiid was at 63.6%). Big drop off, but still efficient relative to the playoffs. Not ideal. 46.9% FG against Atlanta, 51.3% in the RS. So again, not ideal. Harris and Simmons weren't awesome. And Embiid closed out in Game 7 with 31/11/3. But with 8 turnovers. But he was also 5/9 in the 4th for 11 points, and they were down 5 going into the 4th. Tight game, lost it in the second quarter when Philly only scored 18 points. The team as a whole shot 35.3% FG in the 2nd. But over the whole game, he was pretty good.

Okay, 2022. Smacked my Raps around pretty good. 26/11/2 on 62.3% TS. Nothing to report there, he ripped us apart. Against Bam and the Heat? Hot garbage. 20/10/2 on 42.6% FG, 25% from 3, 53.2% TS. Playoff league average was 56.7% (so -4.5%), and he'd posted 61.6% in the regular season. Miami was a top 5 defense, and top 2 in the playoffs. During the postseason, they allowed an average team FG% of 44.6%, good enough for 5th-best in the playoffs. And Bam was individually a strong dude who was physical and contested Embiid well, the sort against which he tends not to fare well. Kind of like Mitchell Robinson, as it happens. Didn't lead a game in scoring once in that series.

He did, however, miss the first two games of the series from the orbital fracture/concussion, which should be considered. Stank in Game 3 and 6, very good in 4 and 5 (albeit a -29 as Miami beat the ever-loving crap out of them). 7/24 in the final game of the series. Whole team was trash in that one. He was at a -6, but everyone was brutal and they lost by 9. He definitely overshot and was an absolutely brutal mess. Maxey was also brutal, but not 29% from the field brutal.

Okay.

2023. They sweep Brooklyn. Embiid looked... troubled. 20/11/4 and 5 turnovers per game. 1 MORE turnover than Harden in 36 FEWER minutes. 46.2% FG, 12.5% from 3... But he was 23/24 from the line, which saved his efficiency and left him at 60.5%. In the RS, he'd been a 65.5% player, so still quite a drop-off, and it took 95.8% from the line to save him as he dropped from 54.8% FG in the RS all the way down to that 46.2%. 8.6% is a HUUUUUUUGE drop. But again, he also missed Game 4 with the sprained knee.

Against Boston. Brutal. 42.1% from the field. 20% from 3. 54.5% TS. Playoff league average was 56.6%, and again he'd been at 65.5% (best of his career) during the RS. Massive drop-off. Boston was almost 10 points better in team ORTG in that series, won the offensive rebounding and eFG% battles, and Embiid was a big part of that. Of course, he missed the first game of that series as well (which they won), then debuted in a loss (-23), never shot better than 47.4% from the field and closed the series with a 5/18 performance where he was -28.

There's some food for thought there. He's struggled to bring it in the playoffs. He is a volume scorer; dropping off that sharply as a volume scorer in the playoffs is still a problem, even with his defensive contributions. The same was true of Robinson, and of Karl Malone. He needs to be able to produce on O. When he does, Philly is a very, very different team.

A lot of this come back to him being injured basically every postseason. He does largely seem fine when he's some kind of healthy... but if he's basically never healthy, then that matters only so much and leaves him as a fanciful what-if type of player. This offsets some of this raw +/- data, particularly when there's a reasonably clear trend.

Just some food for thought.
QingJames
Sixth Man
And1: 2,262

Post#24 » by QingJames » Wed May 1, 2024 9:02 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
QingJames wrote:What is the best team Embiid has ever beaten with all this on/off greatness?
My 48 win Raps, after he smashed Scottie's ankle into dust?
I mean, if Embiid is "HIM," if he's this good... why doesn't it translate into wins?
Can anyone answer that? Or is it just always Brett Brown/Ben Simmons/Tobias Harris/Doc Rivers/Scapegoat of the season's fault?

It's pretty simple if you understand the date. We lose when he's off the court.

So you're saying that it's all down to Embiid's teammates for why he has never beaten a better team than the crippled 47-win Raptors?

I think the on/off +/- is reductive. The team can win many of Embiid's minutes in the aggregate and yet he can still (and does) choke and play badly in crunch time, but that's silenced in the data.

Embiid can give you 25 "great" minutes, 5 "good" minutes and 5-10 "bad" minutes when it matters, but there's no nuance in the on/off data. Not every Embiid minute is equal - we even see it from the regular season to the postseason where the value of 1 Embiid minute drops precipitously. Another point of nuance silenced by your data is how much Embiid drops off round-to-round. We know he can go toe to toe with anyone in the first round, and his +/- is boosted by beating up on terrible teams in the first round, but then craters in the second round when he faces real competition:

Miami: +8.6
Boston: +3.4

Brooklyn: +13.25
Toronto: +12.71

Boston: -13.25

Washington: +17.5
Atlanta: +7.28

Toronto: +8.3
Miami: -22

Brooklyn: +12
Boston: -7

What's clear is that Embiid's impact declines in every single second-round series he participates in, much like his decline from the regular season to the playoffs. His on/off numbers are boosted by big performances against the 41-41 2018 Heat, the 42 win 2019 Nets, the 34-38 Wizards, and the 45 win 2023 Nets. The criticisms against Embiid have never been that he can't put up big impact numbers against terrible teams, it's that his conditioning is garbage, he's a whiner and a flopper who constantly injures himself by throwing himself to the ground, and that he chokes in big moments by being predictable in his offense while being unable to navigate double-teams.

Those are the reasons why he's not "HIM," and no amount of statpadding +/- against sub-.500 teams in the playoffs will change that.
eyeatoma wrote:You guys still dont' get it. Playoff accomplishment don't matter when you're up for your 1st MVP. When you're up for your 3rd in a row, damn straight it matters, as the only ones who done it are top 15 players of all time who have won rings.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,738

Post#25 » by Roger Murdock » Wed May 1, 2024 9:06 pm

My hypothesis on why there’s such a big gap gap in perception of his talent is 76ers fans watch him play 40-50 times a season and dominate so they write off the 10 or so playoff games he struggles in.

Fans of other teams watch him play 5 times a season and then watch every playoff game and see him struggle and that’s what they base their perception off.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,920

Post#26 » by nikster » Wed May 1, 2024 9:06 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:And here I had come to respect this GeorgeMarcus fella so much. Oh well...

To be fair, it can't have been easy being a Philly fan the last few years
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by tsherkin » Wed May 1, 2024 9:07 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:My hypothesis on why there’s such a big gap gap in perception of his talent is 76ers fans watch him play 40-50 times a season and dominate so they write off the 10 or so playoff games he struggles in.

Fans of other teams watch him play 5 times a season and then watch every playoff game and see him struggle and that’s what they base their perception off.

He is legitimately two totally different players in the RS vs. the PS.
RB34
RealGM
And1: 15,123

Post#28 » by RB34 » Wed May 1, 2024 9:12 pm

I really don’t know why it’s so hard to understand. There isn’t a requirement to like Embiid.

He’s dirty, he flops, he foul baits, he throws everyone and anyone under the bus, he front runs, taunts and simultaneously cries about calls, he ducks good opponents, has never made it out of the second round despite having good teammates around him and he campaigns in the media for personal accolades and sacrifices team success.

He’s a great player though.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,846

Post#29 » by dhsilv2 » Wed May 1, 2024 9:18 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:And we've come full circle, Sixers fans who based +- as a pro-Jokic argument are now using it to support Embiid...

I'd be VERY curious to see, from those players you posted one statistic for, a comparison of their regular season vs. playoff numbers. Embiid's performance, unlike a lot of all-time greats, falls off a cliff in the playoffs.

I love your argument expanding to include 30+ players...that would fly if Sixers fans were comparing him to other top 30-40 players throughout the year...

The claim is he's one of the best players in the league, so he should be held to a higher standard than some of the players you're listing here...like Beal, Derozan, Middleton, etc...

Would love to see what other perennial MVP candidate in NBA history had such a big dropoff between RS and Playoff numbers...

OP is the last poster I'd ever imply he's changed his story or methods of analysis. He's been posting these stats every year on Embiid.
OriginalRed
Sixth Man
And1: 3,023

Post#30 » by OriginalRed » Wed May 1, 2024 9:23 pm

Yeah that's cute and all but I can't call a guy "Him" if he

A.) Has never made it out of Round 2
B.) Can never be healthy for an entire playoff run
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,510

Post#31 » by Ambrose » Wed May 1, 2024 9:29 pm

The +/- is a fair point. It does seem like they collapse without him, and obviously box stats don't capture defensive impact much. Maxey doesn't go off last night without NYK paying so much attention to Embiid.

However, it's worth noting that 1) A lot of his postseason data has come from round 1 matchups, and mostly bad teams. We are a decade into his career and the best team he's beat was the Pascal Siakam led Raptors. That makes it tough to compare to superstars who go on consistent long runs (Luka is the only guy on the list with a higher +/-, and he's only advanced past the 1st round once, so same thing applies). 2) I think someone posted somewhere else that Embiid is basically a negative +/- guy in the 4th quarter every year of his postseason career. This would indicate that when the game is tight and the stage is biggest, he falls off, and the impact agrees.
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,476

Post#32 » by phanman » Wed May 1, 2024 9:38 pm

I feel like this is undeserved shot at my boy DeMar :lol:

I guess we were all wrong, its Embiid's teammates, coaching staff and most importantly that damn front office's fault for swapping all from one all star partner to another. Simmons, Butler, Harden and now Maxey + friends are the reasons why he has never made it to the ECF and his efficiency craters!!
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,320

Post#33 » by ShootersShoot » Wed May 1, 2024 9:39 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:My hypothesis on why there’s such a big gap gap in perception of his talent is 76ers fans watch him play 40-50 times a season and dominate so they write off the 10 or so playoff games he struggles in.

Do you really believe hardcore nba fans only watch embiid in the playoffs?
All time great level players are judged by their playoff successes and performances. Do you honestly think Embiid averaging sub 50% efg in the past two playoffs should abstain him from criticism because he is such a good RS performer?
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by tsherkin » Wed May 1, 2024 9:53 pm

phanman wrote:I feel like this is well-deserved shot at my boy DeMar :lol:

FTFY.
Chokic
Senior
And1: 639

Post#35 » by Chokic » Wed May 1, 2024 9:55 pm

I think this is pretty accurate.
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 3,026

Post#36 » by BelgradeNugget » Wed May 1, 2024 9:57 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:Below I've compiled a list of playoff on-court and on-off stats among volume scorers with large enough sample sizes. I'm not gonna waste too many words on an argument that is so clear in the data. If you're someone (you know who you are) that trashes Embiid's ability to win in the playoffs, you are objectively wrong. The only player with a better net rating (+/- per possession) is Steph Curry, an impact giant with 4 rings and 6 Finals runs. The only player with a better on-off is Luka, who (1) evolves into a demi-God in the playoffs and (2) has a sample of 32 games compared to Embiid's 58.

Spoiler:
Steph Curry: +7.6 / +12.0
Joel Embiid: +6.9 / +18.2
Kyrie Irving: +6.9 / +4.0
Kawhi Leonard: +6.9 / +3.8
LeBron James: +5.8 / +10.1
Jamal Murray: +5.1 / +10.9
Klay Thompson: +5.0 / -1.9
Giannis Antetokounmpo: +4.3 / +8.0
Anthony Davis: +4.2 / +10.3
Khris Middleton: +4.2 / +9.4
Kevin Durant: +4.2 / +2.4
Jayson Tatum: +3.5 / +5.4
Paul George" +2.7 / +11.8
James Harden: +2.6 / +7.2
Jaylen Brown: +1.7 / -4.7
Nikola Jokic: +1.4 / +3.3
Devin Booker: +0.5 / +2.9
Luka Doncic: +0.4 / +20.7
Jimmy Butler: +0.3 / +0.1
Jalen Brunson: -1.4 / -1.9
Bradley Beal: -1.6 / +3.7
Donovan Mitchell: -2.5 / +1.8
Trae Young: -5.0 / -3.3
DeMar DeRozan: -8.4 / -11.0

2 main points the haters seem to be missing/undervaluing:
- Embiid gets trapped by 2-3 players every time he touches the ball, which means his teammates get far better looks
- Defensive impact, in particular rim protection, doesn't get captured in box stats at all

Also worth noting that most of his playoff games have been against top tier defense like the historic '19 Raptors, various Celtic defensive juggernauts, and now a Knicks team that personifies defensive grit and discipline.

The Anti-Embiid arguments remind me so much of what D Rob went through. Common fans are oblivious to impact if it doesn't come in the form of scoring, but at the end of the day winning is the only thing that matters. Even if we get blown out by 50 tomorrow there is too much data in Embiid's favor to override a glaring conclusion: the Sixers win when he's on the court. He doesn't need injuries as an "excuse" for anything.

In 2020-21 playoffs, 2nd round, here are +/- stats for Philadelphia's top 7 players in minutes per game

Tobias Harris 1.1
Joel Embiid 7.3
Ben Simmons 4.1
Seth Curry 8.4
Danny Green 6.3
Furkan Korkmaz 1.4

the same for Atlanta

Trae Young -2.4
John Collins -0.6
Kevin Huerter -3.0
Clint Capela -8.1
Bogdan Bogdanovic -4.6
Danilo Gallinari 4.6

So, were all 76ers player HIMS in that series? They all were winning minutes when they were on the court ON AVERAGE. What went wrong then? We all know.

Winning big and losing by a little didn't change the fact they lost 4 games in a 7 games series.
lessthanjake
Sixth Man
And1: 1,373

Post#37 » by lessthanjake » Wed May 1, 2024 10:01 pm

Another reminder that playoff on-off is typically very small-sample-size data and therefore is super noisy. And that’s especially true if you’re like Joel Embiid and have never made a lengthy playoff run. The “off” minutes for Embiid’s entire playoff career are 1145 minutes. That’s similar to the “off” minutes for one regular season, and we know single-season on-off is very noisy. But it’s probably actually even noisier than that in the playoffs, because stars (including Embiid) play significantly more minutes per game in playoff games and therefore a higher percent of the “off” minutes are just garbage time minutes (which obviously aren’t minutes that seriously matter for evaluating impact). So, yeah, Embiid has an impressive playoff on-off, but it’s not actually because of a uniquely impressive “on” rating (especially given the average quality of opponent—which is not very high, having never made it past the second round), and the “off” number is just inherently very noisy.

The other thing I’d note is that Embiid has actually completely missed 8 playoff games, and the Sixers went 5-3 in those games, with a +4.0 average margin of victory, and a +5.74 SRS. Meanwhile, their playoff SRS in playoff games Embiid has played in is +4.37. Of course, that’s small-sample-size data too, but it’s worth noting that the Sixers have done fine in the playoffs when Embiid just hasn’t played. In fact, they’ve arguably done better than they have in the games he has played!

We should also be careful with collinearity on the on-off stuff. Embiid did not play a single playoff minute in 2022 or 2023 without Harden or Maxey on the floor, and over 75% of his minutes were with both. Meanwhile, in the games Embiid played (which is where the bad “off” numbers come from in general, since the Sixers have done fine when Embiid doesn’t play), only 38% of Embiid’s “off” minutes had both Harden and Maxey (and 17% had neither). Similarly, in the 2021 playoffs, 88% of Embiid’s minutes were with Simmons, while Simmons was only in in 29% of Embiid’s “off” minutes. Basically, some of what you’re seeing in Embiid’s on-off is a product of Embiid’s minutes overlapping a lot with his co-stars. Granted, that’s not all of it, and the team often hasn’t done well in the very small amount of minutes with those other guys on and Embiid off, but it is surely a good part of it.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
JimmyFromNz
Pro Prospect
And1: 887

Post#38 » by JimmyFromNz » Wed May 1, 2024 10:08 pm

I think I'm genuinely able to separate the dislike for Embiid from the fact he remains an incredible player.

That said, let's not get too galaxy brained with impact data to counter what is clear and apparent in the outcomes each and every playoff series. Yes, its a given and an expectation that Embiid would have a very high +/- due to his dominant role within the system and marginal supporting casts. The conclusion? The 76ers are far better with him on the court - ok hardly emphatic stuff.

The difference in a couple of points or decimal places really seems completely overcooked when faced with the mountain of evidence suggesting there is a significant drop in his performance and statistical profile when the playoffs roll around, accompanied by a the clear under performance of playoff teams that he anchors. Often for the same repetitive reasons and weaknesses.

This underperformance is a standard we hold all superstars to, and honestly to this point Embiid has had a decent tolerance level due to the injuries that crop up each time the playoffs come around. Thats part of the picture, but cannot gloss over what we witness in large stretches of games, for example the 4th quarter of game 5 last night. That's not as easy to 'explain away'.
B_Creamy
Pro Prospect
And1: 842

Post#39 » by B_Creamy » Wed May 1, 2024 10:10 pm

This reads like a big cope brother, sorry. Indubitably not him.
Hussien Fatal
Veteran
And1: 1,401

Post#40 » by Hussien Fatal » Wed May 1, 2024 10:44 pm

It’s clear most of the reason Embiid’s numbers drop in The playoffs is due to him being injured and another reason is he exerts much more energy on the defensive end in the playoffs so naturally his scoring numbers drop.
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....

Return to The General Board