Who Would you Rather have Maxey or Brunson?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,289

Re: Who Would you Rather have Maxey or Brunson? 

Post#21 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Wed May 1, 2024 9:00 pm

Brunson, but don't forget that Maxey is almost 5 years younger.
bronxknicksfan1
Veteran
And1: 1,521

Post#22 » by bronxknicksfan1 » Wed May 1, 2024 9:00 pm

As many Knicks fans have already told you, Maxey isn’t at that level yet. We saw it already when Embiid was out. Philly is a lottery team with Maxey leading it without Embiid.
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,506

Post#23 » by Funcrusher » Wed May 1, 2024 9:00 pm

GameChannel wrote:Maxie.

Brunson can get ****.

Maxey. At the very least get his name right
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
swyftdahoe
Senior
And1: 531

Post#24 » by swyftdahoe » Wed May 1, 2024 9:02 pm

Brunson right now, for sure. But in 2 or 3 years, could very well be Maxey.
LaLover11
Bench Warmer
And1: 786

Post#25 » by LaLover11 » Wed May 1, 2024 9:04 pm

Maxey because he doesn't flop and doesn't have a punchable face like Brunson
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,536

Post#26 » by JRoy » Wed May 1, 2024 9:14 pm

The pg
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,477

Post#27 » by phanman » Wed May 1, 2024 9:25 pm

Hussien Fatal wrote:
phanman wrote:I'm going to go with the guy that is the actual #1 option for his team.

Maxey has pretty much elevated himself into 1B with Embiid this series but when your second leading scorer is Josh Hart @ 17ppg, you can see why this comparison is pretty silly. What JB is doing is completely different than why Philly expects from Maxey. Even when it comes to facilitating, Maxey starts next to a real PG in Lowry and Embiid's playmaking helps alleviate the stress of Maxey having to control their offense.

You can’t penalize Maxey for having a better teammate. Maxey this series has looked better than Brunson. If Maxey was able to take 30 shots a game I’m sure he would have similar results to Brunson. Maxey is taking 6 less shots per game than Brunson this series and some how their scoring numbers are comparable.

I wouldn't say I'm penalizing Maxey at all, just simply stating facts. The offensive burden Maxey has to shoulder is just much less than what Brunson has to do because he is able to play off the defensive attention that the reigning MVP provides. If you can't see how the roles vary, I really don't know what else to say. It's not just about the extra 6 shots, its how much more Brunson has to work to even take them or create for his teammates.

For context, I answered this thread based on right now, not the future. Obviously you take Maxey once you consider their age.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,232

Post#28 » by KembaWalker » Wed May 1, 2024 9:37 pm

why not just post what you want to say instead of framing it as a question and pretending like youre open to discussion
flranger
Senior
And1: 828

Post#29 » by flranger » Thu May 2, 2024 12:10 am

Maxey 5/207 projected
vs
Brunson 2/50 with PO

I think I'd rather lock Maxey for five then have to figure out Brunson next year (final year is a PO, so next season will be a contract season).
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 6,063

Post#30 » by Exp0sed » Thu May 2, 2024 12:14 am

DonaldSanders wrote:Brunson is doing it as the carry, the clear #1 guy. That always hurts efficiency a bit, compared to Maxey benefitting from Embiid who frequently draws a double.

he benefits from the two man game with Embiid and the spacing the help on Embiid provides but he's also a beneficiery of Embiid's illegal screens. imo he's the most egregious screen setter in the league, he never really sets and he routinely shifts his leg or his body, actively leaning into the defenders trying to navigate around his screens

Maxey's combo of elite quickness, burst, speed along with his ability to pull up from anywhere if he has some daylight..well he's basically ustoppable if u let him operate behind illegal screen after illegal screen which are set by a 280 lbs. huge dude...shame on the league. a guy like Hartesnstien or Drew Eubanks would get called for 3-4 offensive fouls per game had he set screens like that..

Brunson is better but Maxey is alot younger so he's better "to have"
Sixers in 4
Senior
And1: 772

Post#31 » by Sixers in 4 » Thu May 2, 2024 12:34 am

Brunson has a much deeper team. Maxey has Embiid.

I think Brunson is more crafty in the ISO game but Maxey is more efficient because he is a speed demon and finishes well around the rim and hits 3PT shots. He is sort of the ideal player on a championship team layups and 3's all day.

Is Brunson the better ISO player? Yes. But is he good enough to be your best player and win a championship? We'll see I guess. I don't think so. I don't think he is nearly as good off the ball as Maxey.
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,569

Post#32 » by HardenGoat » Thu May 2, 2024 1:07 am

Maxey. I’ve seen enough to know he has ascended this year
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,920

Post#33 » by nikster » Thu May 2, 2024 1:10 am

Hussien Fatal wrote:
phanman wrote:I'm going to go with the guy that is the actual #1 option for his team.

Maxey has pretty much elevated himself into 1B with Embiid this series but when your second leading scorer is Josh Hart @ 17ppg, you can see why this comparison is pretty silly. What JB is doing is completely different than why Philly expects from Maxey. Even when it comes to facilitating, Maxey starts next to a real PG in Lowry and Embiid's playmaking helps alleviate the stress of Maxey having to control their offense.

You can’t penalize Maxey for having a better teammate. Maxey this series has looked better than Brunson. If Maxey was able to take 30 shots a game I’m sure he would have similar results to Brunson. Maxey is taking 6 less shots per game than Brunson this series and some how their scoring numbers are comparable.

So what your saying is Embiid doesn't make it any easier for his teammates?
mdonnelly1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,355

Post#34 » by mdonnelly1989 » Thu May 2, 2024 1:13 am

Brunson is a legit 93 / 100

Maxey is hovering more around the 90/91 range.
srhcan
Veteran
And1: 1,703

Post#35 » by srhcan » Thu May 2, 2024 1:21 am

Hussien Fatal wrote:Was arguing with some Knicks fans before the series and I stated that Maxey was every bit as good as Brunson and Knicks fans called me crazy.

But here we are and both players have played great this series and there clearly isn’t any possible way you could say either player has a massive advantage over the other.

Stats this series… (5 games)

Maxey: 32.4ppg 7.2a 5.2r on 50 43 88 splits PER 23.1

Brunson: 34.4ppg 8.4a 4.8r on 42 29 79 splits PER 21.6

Maxey has been way more efficient but Brunson has been able to get his team more wins this series. Brunson is putting up Iverson type playoff stats taking 30fga this series compared to Maxey who is taking 24fga.

Which player is better and which player would you rather for your team?

Talent wise Maxey > Brunson. But Maxey has not shown yet that he can carry his team without Embiid while Brunson has shown that he can carry his team without Randle. So Advantage Brunson.
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,500

Post#36 » by rockmanslim » Thu May 2, 2024 1:31 am

Zeno wrote:Who would I rather have as a primary option?
Clearly Brunson.

Who would I rather have as a 2nd option playing off a primary option?
Maxey

So if Maxey was in Brunson’s role on the Knicks I think the Knicks would be way worse.

And if Brunson was the 76ers I also think the 76ers would be worse though not to the same degree because the non Embiid minutes would be way more functional even though I think the effectiveness of a Brunson/Embiid combo on court together would be less.

Yup. Maxey doesn't have Brunson's bag. Maxey lives off Embiid's gravity, but there's nothing wrong with that. It's a team game, fit matters, too.

But starting from scratch, not knowing who else is on your team? Brunson.
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 16,246

Post#37 » by KnixtapeH20 » Thu May 2, 2024 1:32 am

KembaWalker wrote:why not just post what you want to say instead of framing it as a question and pretending like youre open to discussion

Lmfao exactly :clap: :clap: :bowdown:
ChiTownHero1992
Veteran
And1: 1,560

Post#38 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Thu May 2, 2024 1:42 am

Hype is way over-the-top for both of them...they're both good no doubt but neither to me is a superstar as some are portraying them (including the media)...of the two I think Brunson is better all-around and more capable of leading a team on his own
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 45,070

Post#39 » by DaGawd » Thu May 2, 2024 1:44 am

indiegrind wrote:I'd take Maxey. I still think Brunson is Celtics Isaiah Thomas 2.0.

worst take of the thread
BaF
Washington Wizards
bronxknicksfan1
Veteran
And1: 1,521

Post#40 » by bronxknicksfan1 » Thu May 2, 2024 2:12 am

Sixers in 4 wrote:Brunson has a much deeper team. Maxey has Embiid.

I think Brunson is more crafty in the ISO game but Maxey is more efficient because he is a speed demon and finishes well around the rim and hits 3PT shots. He is sort of the ideal player on a championship team layups and 3's all day.

Is Brunson the better ISO player? Yes. But is he good enough to be your best player and win a championship? We'll see I guess. I don't think so. I don't think he is nearly as good off the ball as Maxey.

The attention Embiid gets alone makes up for the difference in role players.

Tough to say he’s not nearly as good off the ball when his efficiency was stellar playing off of Julius Randle. Brunson was averaging what Maxey was averaging for the season before Randle went down.

The difference in the two was realized when Embiid and Randle went down. Brunson took it up another notch and still was able to keep his team afloat while Maxey began trending down and the Sixers almost fell out of the playoffs. Both are great players, but Brunson is closer to top 10-15 while Maxey is around top 25-30.

Return to The General Board