Has Anthony Edwards Surpassed Jayson Tatum?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

BobbyPortisEyes
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,849

Re: Has Anthony Edwards Surpassed Jayson Tatum? 

Post#21 » by BobbyPortisEyes » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:47 pm

They both show a lot of promise but it's impossible to deny Tatum's greatness at just 21 years of age. He's precocious and ferocious.
hauntedcomputer wrote:Jokic is just a stranger dribbling a basketball. The humility bit could well be a carefully crafted business model for all we know. It's actually getting as tiresome as egotistical bloviating at this point. "Look at me, look how humble I am!!"
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,307

Post#22 » by Ben-N1ce » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:47 pm

Depends what you mean. If your talking a handful of possessions down the stretch. I'll take Ant over the stupid top of key ISO the Celtics spam over and over with Tatum and fail in close games. As overall impact on both ends..Tatum is still probably better. Id take Brunson over Tatum right now in clutch situations. He just doesn't get up good shots or draw fouls.
RB34
RealGM
And1: 15,263

Post#23 » by RB34 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:51 pm

Tatums reputation has taken a bit of a hit this year because he changed his mindset to allow the other dudes to eat.

It’s a shame there aren’t many that recognise this. Too many box score watchers.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,697

Post#24 » by WarriorGM » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:44 pm

I'm kind of surprised we don't have a thread like this yet for Jalen Brunson.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,407

Post#25 » by Klomp » Wed May 1, 2024 1:04 am

bisme37 wrote:After one series? I'm gonna say no.

Tatum led his team to the ECF's as a rookie and was dunking on LeBron in Game 7. Been to 4 Conference Finals and 1 NBA Finals as the #1 option. Holds the NBA record with 51 points in a Game 7. Now he's joined Bron and Kobe as the only players in NBA history with 3000 playoff points before turning 27.

Ant is dope as hell and was absolutely incredible vs Suns. But he's 22 likely to have some ups and downs in this postseason as he plays better opponents, and then there's the rest of his career still to come. Give the kid a minute lol.

It hasn't been only one series, it's been three. Ant is a major reason why the worst franchise in professional sports history has made the postseason in three consecutive years. He has career playoff averages of 29/5/5 on 48/39/84 shooting splits.

I think it's important to compare the franchise infrastructures that each of them had to start their careers. Boston was in the ECF the year before he was drafted too. Minnesota...not so much.

I don't know whether he's ahead of Tatum or not...but he's not far off if he's not!
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,264

Post#26 » by TheSheriff » Wed May 1, 2024 2:00 am

Klomp wrote:

Tatum led his team to the ECF's as a rookie and was dunking on LeBron in Game 7. Been to 4 Conference Finals and 1 NBA Finals as the #1 option. Holds the NBA record with 51 points in a Game 7. Now he's joined Bron and Kobe as the only players in NBA history with 3000 playoff points before turning 27.

Ant is dope as hell and was absolutely incredible vs Suns. But he's 22 likely to have some ups and downs in this postseason as he plays better opponents, and then there's the rest of his career still to come. Give the kid a minute lol.

It hasn't been only one series, it's been three. Ant is a major reason why the worst franchise in professional sports history has made the postseason in three consecutive years. He has career playoff averages of 29/5/5 on 48/39/84 shooting splits.

I think it's important to compare the franchise infrastructures that each of them had to start their careers. Boston was in the ECF the year before he was drafted too. Minnesota...not so much.

I don't know whether he's ahead of Tatum or not...but he's not far off if he's not!

You want to talk context, let’s talk context: Boston was without its top two players in Tatum’s rookie playoff run, and he led them to the Eastern Conference Finals as a rookie.

Ant had some great raw numbers in his first two playoff series, which he lost. Pace obviously is faster today than it was when Tatum was winning playoff series as a rookie, so the raw numbers are not a great way to compare.
um.
Junior
And1: 89

Post#27 » by um. » Wed May 1, 2024 2:08 am

hard yes
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 21,461

Post#28 » by AussieCeltic » Wed May 1, 2024 2:24 am

Klomp wrote:

If you want talk about infrastructure maybe you should actually add some context.

Playoff rosters

2017 team: IT, Avery Bradley, Crowder, Horford, Amir Johnson - starters
Smart, Brown (rookie), Rozier, Kelly O off the bench.

2018 team: Smart, Brown, Tatum, Horford, Baynes
Bench: Marcus Morris, Semi Ojeleye, Shane Larkin, Yabusele.

Wolves: DLo, Rubio, Ant, McDaniels, KAT
Bench: Naz Reid, Vanderbilt, Okogie.

That 2018 Celtics team was trash outside of Smart, Brown, Tatum and Horford. It’s a miracle they made it to the conference finals in 17 and 18.

Tatum is the better player right now but Ant can certainly challenge him in the future
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
KG Leonard
Senior
And1: 414

Post#29 » by KG Leonard » Wed May 1, 2024 2:26 am

Win a series or two in big games like West Finals first.
Lets wait until they win vs a real team where the big 3 isn't involving Bradley Beal, over the hill KD and no roleplayers.

There have been many 22-23 year old stars leading a good team but Ant has won 1 of 3 series so far and not carried anything. Compared to Tatum who is playoffs all-time in scoring, joining Kobe, Lebron records at under 27? Hell No.
Real GM fans overreacting to him being the best young US player has nothing to do with NBA playoffs superstars, the guy scoring 51 in game 7 Vs the MVP last years playoffs.

Skickat från min Pixel 7 Pro via Tapatalk
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,220

Post#30 » by MrBigShot » Wed May 1, 2024 3:22 am

I think he is but he's going to have to continue playing well to prove it.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,400

Post#31 » by Cavsfansince84 » Wed May 1, 2024 3:35 am

They are basically on equal ground now unless Tatum wins fmvp. Tatum is the guy you'd trust more to lead a team in the rs but Edwards might be as good in the playoffs.
KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,042

Post#32 » by KamikazeK » Wed May 1, 2024 3:38 am

5IVE5TAR5 wrote:I think so, he's been better on both sides of the floor and he's showing he can be a 1 option for a title team.

Because he beat the pelicans? come on.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,553

Post#33 » by PhilBlackson » Wed May 1, 2024 3:39 am

We'll see how this plays out but anything short of reaching the Finals and Tatum will remain ahead (for now).
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: WembGod - Face of the NBA Universe
Names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,065

Post#34 » by FarBeyondDriven » Wed May 1, 2024 3:48 am

AussieCeltic wrote:
Klomp wrote:

If you want talk about infrastructure maybe you should actually add some context.

Playoff rosters

Tatum is the better player right now but Ant can certainly challenge him in the future

lol you're forgetting Kyrie and Rozier

the 2018 Celtics had Kyrie, Brown, Tatum, Horford and Monroe/Baynes as their starting five with all-defense Smart off the bench plus Morris and Rozier. That is a stacked team especially since the Eastern Conference was weak. They entered that season as favorites to win it all but the Hayward injury changed things considerably. But it was a blessing in disguise for both Tatum and Brown as it sped up their development and Rozier was able to step into Kyrie's shoes when he missed the playoffs.
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Analyst
And1: 6,948

Post#35 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Wed May 1, 2024 4:03 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:
Klomp wrote:It hasn't been only one series, it's been three. Ant is a major reason why the worst franchise in professional sports history has made the postseason in three consecutive years. He has career playoff averages of 29/5/5 on 48/39/84 shooting splits.

Playoff rosters

the 2018 Celtics had Kyrie, Brown, Tatum, Horford and Monroe/Baynes as their starting five with all-defense Smart off the bench plus Morris and Rozier. That is a stacked team especially since the Eastern Conference was weak. They entered that season as favorites to win it all but the Hayward injury changed things considerably. But it was a blessing in disguise for both Tatum and Brown as it sped up their development and Rozier was able to step into Kyrie's shoes when he missed the playoffs.

Kyrie was injured.

https://www.cleveland19.com/story/37889085/kyrie-irving-will-miss-the-2018-nba-playoffs/?outputType=amp
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,988

Post#36 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed May 1, 2024 4:18 am

JimmyFromNz wrote:What has he done to suggest that's the case?

Given a cooler press conference than Tatum ever has in a much longer career.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#37 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed May 1, 2024 4:19 am

5IVE5TAR5 wrote:I think so, he's been better on both sides of the floor and he's showing he can be a 1 option for a title team.

His excellent play in the first round conclusively proves that?
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#38 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed May 1, 2024 4:24 am

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:

Playoff rosters

Kyrie was injured.

https://www.cleveland19.com/story/37889085/kyrie-irving-will-miss-the-2018-nba-playoffs/?outputType=amp

But Scary Terry did earn his nickname.

Unfortunately, they all choked except Tatum in Game 7 vs. the Cavs.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,352

Post#39 » by CobraCommander » Wed May 1, 2024 4:47 am

JustBuzzin wrote:Ant Edwards is the best American player in basketball.

I currently have Ant rated as the 4th best player in basketball behind Jokic/Embiid/Luka.

Sga wondering why he the 4th best when he the only one that swept his first round and got the the number1 seed - but what ever

I guess Giannis isn’t the number 2 behind jokic cause he hurt -
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 9,579

Post#40 » by GrandTheftRondo » Wed May 1, 2024 6:13 am

Oh look another thread full of garbage Tatum takes

Return to The General Board