Should Memphis draft Bronny at 7?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

badpotato
Sophomore
And1: 452

Re: Should Memphis draft Bronny at 7? 

Post#61 » by badpotato » Wed May 1, 2024 4:37 am

This is insanity. No team is going to waste lottery pick even in a weak draft.
I recall 2013 draft class was regarded as one of the weakest in recent memory, but guess what? It had Giannis and Gobert in it.
When the individual feels, the community reels.
Jack Dempsey
Pro Prospect
And1: 514

Post#62 » by Jack Dempsey » Wed May 1, 2024 5:55 am

LeBron as a player isn't worth that much anymore but LeBron as a ticket seller/media whore is pure gold. With that said I wouldn't even think about drafting Bronny even with a 2nd rounder without talking to LeBron first. There's one thing I haven't seen so far in this thread - guess who is or is going to be Bronny's manager. It's going to be Rich Paul no doubt about it. And you don't want to be on bad terms with Paul or LeBron. They can make your life a living hell.

So hypothetically if you draft Bronny, Rich Paul will "kindly ask you" to trade his rights to the Lakers and be sure that you'll be trading a dollar for a dime. If you decline you're basically done.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,325

Post#63 » by SNPA » Wed May 1, 2024 6:29 am

ChipotleWest wrote:
MrGoat wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:I'm not drafting Bronny just in the hope that 40 year old Bron comes and plays for my team. But I'm not a GM.

Honestly a bottom feeder in a rough market should consider it, say Detroit or Charlotte. If LeBron is really serious about playing with his son it only has to be one season and Bronny might even be able to get real minutes there to help sell tickets no matter how bad they are

Probably the reason this is coming out now, he doesn't want to play for any of those type of teams.

This part is right IMO. He wants to play with his kid. This isn’t hard to understand. He will do what he does, leverage his assets to get a roster he wants. Why think this is anything else?
TwitterFingers
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,495

Post#64 » by TwitterFingers » Wed May 1, 2024 2:56 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
TwitterFingers wrote:
JRoy wrote:No.

He is not a first round talent.

Arguable second round talent.

I mean he averaged 4pts 2 assists. Is he really a second round talent?
Check how many points Zach Lavine averaged.

Sent from my SM-S9080 using RealGM mobile app

LaVine is probably the exception and not the rule. It also helped that he was a freak athlete, unlike Bronny.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,824

Post#65 » by tsherkin » Wed May 1, 2024 2:59 pm

Bronny does not look like an NBA talent at all, at least from what I've seen. I have been wrong before and will be again, but he really doesn't look it. I doubt we'd even know his name if it weren't for his dad. This does not seem a reasonable use for a pick, not unless Lebron himself comes with it and doesn't cost too much in the process.
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,537

Post#66 » by Saints14 » Wed May 1, 2024 3:05 pm

Lakers will probably draft him with the 55th pick, which sure whatever, it'll make LeBron happy and the odds of that pick being anything is super low. If Thanasis can stick on a roster for as long as he has then why not Bronny
OfficialRef
Starter
And1: 2,443

Post#67 » by OfficialRef » Wed May 1, 2024 3:06 pm

JJ_PR wrote:Can you imagine drafting Bronny with a top 10 pick, only for LeBron to have a change of heart, re-signing with Los Angeles?

You're stuck with a prospect who may not be ready for the NBA, you wasted a valuable draft pick in the process and a whole year worth of tanking.

This would be kind of funny actually lol
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,425

Post#68 » by Woodsanity » Wed May 1, 2024 3:23 pm

If it was a 2nd round pick I would consider it.
UglyBugBall wrote:Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work.
To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him.

:lol:
Bloodbather
Sophomore
And1: 466

Post#69 » by Bloodbather » Wed May 1, 2024 4:36 pm

LeBron is 39 years old and his son is far from being NBA level. Even using a high 2d round pick to lure LeBron in is a questionable proposal and you're saying to use #7?
Hans1984
Pro Prospect
And1: 335

Post#70 » by Hans1984 » Wed May 1, 2024 4:38 pm

If you want to tank sure why not.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,674

Post#71 » by brackdan70 » Wed May 1, 2024 4:42 pm

Dear god no. Lol. He is maybe a 2nd round prospect G leaguer on a 2 way…best case scenario. Waste of a pick at 7
Sign here
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 9,020

Post#72 » by meekrab » Wed May 1, 2024 4:43 pm

He's going to withdraw from the draft after the combine unless something really weird happens.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,386

Post#73 » by azcatz11 » Wed May 1, 2024 4:45 pm

Why would Bronny even want that? It would be awkward as hell for him to be drafted 7th or even FR and know that all of his teammates will know he didn't deserve that. The locker room would be weird especially if Bronny is clearly not an NBA player. How would Lebron navigate that with his son? I don't think anyone wants that.

I'm just amazed people who start threads like this can't see the human element and think everything is so black & white...
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,674

Post#74 » by brackdan70 » Wed May 1, 2024 4:46 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:Because every team that can draft Bronny will get LeBron James as a signee. It's essentially like trading a 1st round pick for LeBron. We know Bronny isn't close to NBA calibre, LeBron has proven that he is still a star in this league based on how he played vs DEN.

If I were Memphis, sitting at 7, I would seriously consider drafting Bronny which would all but guarantee LeBron signing there. That team is ready to contend

Ja
Smart
Bane
LeBron
JJJ

If Memphis passes on Bronny at 7, I would also advocate my Rockets to pick him at #9. Adding LeBron would elevate the Rockets.

This is a ridiculous line of thinking. Lebron is not going to move to play with Bronny. Best case is that maybe Bronny has more trade value because Lebron wants to play with him before he retires.
Bronny is a fringe NBA player at best. Drafting him at 7 is a waste of a pick, even in a poor draft. I can see a team using a 2nd to grab him hoping they can trade him to the lakers for something of value…
Sign here

Return to The General Board