Darvin Hams future as a Lakers head coach is in serious peril.

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,836

Re: Darvin Hams future as a Lakers head coach is in serious peril. 

Post#41 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Wed May 1, 2024 3:38 am

Bring back Philly Jax
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,309

Post#42 » by SNPA » Wed May 1, 2024 3:44 am

Lol. LeGM. The most real thing in the NBA since Clutch started.

Ham will stay or go based 100% on what James decides.
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,237

Post#43 » by GopherIt! » Wed May 1, 2024 3:54 am

going Ham was a bad idea.
badpotato
Sophomore
And1: 398

Post#44 » by badpotato » Wed May 1, 2024 3:59 am

Ham is not the problem. I think his gameplan in PO was decent, unless it's all due to LeCoach and Darvin was sittin back - who knows.

Roster based on 2 stars and bunch of inconsistent role players is just not good enough - especially when one of those stars is almost 40 and takes way too much of salary cap for the team to pivot away from this kind of roster makeup.
When the individual feels, the community reels.
Tottery
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,398

Post#45 » by Tottery » Wed May 1, 2024 4:12 am

He's had some questionable moves, but in the best interest of the team. I believe he mixed the starting lineup because they weren't good enough and he was just trying to find something to cause a spark.

His timeouts have been terrible all season long though. Nuggets went on that 14-2 run. Lost a nice lead and fell behind by 3 before he called a timeout. I was calling for a timeout the entire time and even the announcers were confused as to why he wasn't calling a timeout. Changed the whole game and it's been the story of the season with him.

However, even if the Lakers got a higher seed there is no guarantee they advance and even if they did the Nuggets would knock em' out anyway. They're just the better team.
doogie_hauser
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,227

Post#46 » by doogie_hauser » Wed May 1, 2024 4:19 am

Replacing Rob Pelinka with Bob Myers is the first off court decision the Lakers F/O should do, before firing Ham, but they won't.

Pelinka has been there a lot longer than Ham, and aside from the 2020 Bubble Championship (which was won on the back of a career best and unprecedented dominant season from AD), Pelinka's resume stinks (he should not not take any credit for Lebron joining LA, he was always coming there)

Take away the 2020 Chip, and Pelinka has one of the most Medicore resumes of any NBA GM..
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,391

Post#47 » by Black Jack » Wed May 1, 2024 4:22 am

Ham did a good job if you ask me. He didn't make Rui etc. miss shots.
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 20,253

Post#48 » by Mamba Mentality » Wed May 1, 2024 1:19 pm

daddy aint happy back home

Read on Twitter
Meeksology
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,654

Post#49 » by Meeksology » Wed May 1, 2024 3:13 pm

G35 wrote:When isn't a coach, with Lebron on the team, in serious peril. Having the GOAT on your side doesn't guarantee victory or your job.....

He's not even the GOAT Laker in my eyes, but I digress.
JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,113

Post#50 » by JB2 » Wed May 1, 2024 3:23 pm

Ham started LeBron, Vando, Cam, Prince, AD.
D'lo, Austin, Rui, and Wood were on the bench.

Make the make sense.

He didn't cost them the title.. IMO roster construction would have eventually. But he did cost them a higher seed, avoiding Denver (for now) and a better shot at a title.

Then he gets to the playoffs and just allows Denver to go on run after run after run while he stands and watches. The series could/should/maybe would have been 2-2 going into game 5 if he had even the most basic coaching instincts to call a timeout and draw up some plays.

Guy has got to go. But who are the available options? I don't see many. JJ?
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,513

Post#51 » by Ambrose » Wed May 1, 2024 4:08 pm

Way too much coaching turnover in the NBA.

Cleveland lets go of Lue after six games without LeBron, after making the finals the previous year. Goes to be a great coach for LAC.

Lakers move on from Vogel after winning a title because LeBron/AD are hurt and the GM stupidly trades for Russ. They bring in Ham, get healthier, move Westbrook, have a little success, but he's as good as gone. May blow it up depending on what LeBron does.

Vogel goes to dysfunctional Suns, who moved on from Monty, and he's about to lose his job because his superstars are overrated and the team construction was laughable. Moving on from Monty accomplished nothing, moving on from Vogel will accomplish nothing, and they are dead in the water looking to get their 3rd coach in three years. May have to blow things up.

Bucks let go of Bud only to bring in two much worse coaches, and now looks like their window has slammed shut. All while paying all three of them.

Toronto moves on from Nurse, who immediately improves Philly when healthy despite moving Harden for spare parts. Raptors blow it up the next year.

Atlanta moves on from Nate to Quin Snyder, nothing changes, looks like they will blow things up.

Nets go from Atkinson to Vaughn to Nash back to Vaughn in 3 years, nothing changes. Team blows up.

Carlisle and Thibs both left good teams only to immediately build new good teams (though these two are certainly different circumstances than the others, and Dal/Min are in good spots now).

Sure, some of these moves may have been deserved but overall, it's crazy. Maybe, just maybe, the players aren't good enough. If Orlando doesn't win anything in the next 2-3 years they'll probably move on from Mosley for some reason, and same with OKC. If you're moving on from a coach every 2ish years, especially guys who have had success elsewhere, you're the problem.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,854

Post#52 » by Marrrcuss » Wed May 1, 2024 5:00 pm

SNPA wrote:Lol. LeGM. The most real thing in the NBA since Clutch started.

Hadnt seen any "LeGM" posts in a minute.Just in case they won, it was being muted. They lost, BRING IT BACK OUT!
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 25,021

Post#53 » by NyKnicks1714 » Wed May 1, 2024 5:08 pm

Just a reminder that Ham was doing stuff like this earlier in the season:

sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,760

Post#54 » by sikma42 » Wed May 1, 2024 5:18 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:Just a reminder that Ham was doing stuff like this earlier in the season:

You tinker with lineups for various reasons. Don’t see it as a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 9,008

Post#55 » by meekrab » Wed May 1, 2024 5:19 pm

The Explorer wrote:A LeBron James coach lasts on average 2.6 years. So this is right on time, perhaps a bit early. LeCoachKiller

If you don't count Spoelstra the numbers look even more correct.
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,391

Post#56 » by Black Jack » Wed May 1, 2024 6:05 pm

Ambrose wrote:Way too much coaching turnover in the NBA.

Cleveland lets go of Lue after six games without LeBron, after making the finals the previous year. Goes to be a great coach for LAC.

Lakers move on from Vogel after winning a title because LeBron/AD are hurt and the GM stupidly trades for Russ. They bring in Ham, get healthier, move Westbrook, have a little success, but he's as good as gone. May blow it up depending on what LeBron does.

Vogel goes to dysfunctional Suns, who moved on from Monty, and he's about to lose his job because his superstars are overrated and the team construction was laughable. Moving on from Monty accomplished nothing, moving on from Vogel will accomplish nothing, and they are dead in the water looking to get their 3rd coach in three years. May have to blow things up.

Bucks let go of Bud only to bring in two much worse coaches, and now looks like their window has slammed shut. All while paying all three of them.

Toronto moves on from Nurse, who immediately improves Philly when healthy despite moving Harden for spare parts. Raptors blow it up the next year.

Atlanta moves on from Nate to Quin Snyder, nothing changes, looks like they will blow things up.

Nets go from Atkinson to Vaughn to Nash back to Vaughn in 3 years, nothing changes. Team blows up.

Carlisle and Thibs both left good teams only to immediately build new good teams (though these two are certainly different circumstances than the others, and Dal/Min are in good spots now).

Sure, some of these moves may have been deserved but overall, it's crazy. Maybe, just maybe, the players aren't good enough. If Orlando doesn't win anything in the next 2-3 years they'll probably move on from Mosley for some reason, and same with OKC. If you're moving on from a coach every 2ish years, especially guys who have had success elsewhere, you're the problem.

I agree and also I'd like to see GMs being held more accountable vs coaches getting changed weekly. It should be more balanced.
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,309

Post#57 » by SNPA » Wed May 1, 2024 10:25 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:
SNPA wrote:Lol. LeGM. The most real thing in the NBA since Clutch started.

Hadnt seen any "LeGM" posts in a minute.Just in case they won, it was being muted. They lost, BRING IT BACK OUT!

Between the coach and his kid LeGM is working on his final masterpiece this summer.
LeBronSpaghetti
Junior
And1: 771

Post#58 » by LeBronSpaghetti » Thu May 2, 2024 12:07 am

Ham is awful. If you’re trying to make the point about coaches being fired too quickly find a different example because Ham sucks and deserves to be fired.
reddyplayerone
Junior
And1: 356

Post#59 » by reddyplayerone » Thu May 2, 2024 12:30 am

Black Jack wrote:Ham did a good job if you ask me. He didn't make Rui etc. miss shots.

Yeah I'm in the minority of Lakers fans who thinks Ham is really just fine for the most part, particularly considering he's still pretty dang new to being a head coach.

I tend to think that the league never has more than like maaaaaybe a handful of coaches who are truly great by any meaningful measure, and I think that's true of the truly bad coaches as well.

Ham falls into the majority "He's fine in that he's not making any real difference to his team's outcome one way or the other" pile.

I guess I get why coaches tend to be the ones fans will point to first and loudest when they're frustrated. Coaches are definitely super expendable, but like it's pretty telling when the vast, vast majority of the complaints boil down to "their rotations suck!" Like that's just a telltale sign that someone is frustrated and lashing out without having anything substantial to say or offer.

We saw this play out over the course of the season, and people are bringing it up even now. Case in point:

NyKnicks1714 wrote:Just a reminder that Ham was doing stuff like this earlier in the season:

This completely ignores how all of Twitter was BEGGING for Austin to be benched at the beginning of the season, or how Twitter was BEGGING for D'Lo to be benched and/or traded all December while he struggled that whole month, or how Jarred and Rui both missed significant time at the beginning of the season, or how Rui struggled when he first came back from having his face broken.

And even then, the Lakers still won 47 games this year, and would likely still be playing had they not drawn the worst possible first round matchup possible, and we're only a year removed from a conference finals run.

But I'm sure JJ Redick will fix it.
zshawn10
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,565

Post#60 » by zshawn10 » Thu May 2, 2024 3:56 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to The General Board