Maybe drop the in-season cup?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

jehosafats
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,934

Maybe drop the in-season cup? 

Post#1 » by jehosafats » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:52 am

Why should the NBA sanction a worst than bronze trophy?

The in-season tournament isn't just gimmicky. It's a mistake.
picko
Starter
And1: 3,458

Re: Maybe drop the in-season cup? 

Post#2 » by picko » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:58 am

It seemed popular during the season and players seemed to buy into it. So there isn't a compelling reason to scrap it.
The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,911

Post#3 » by The Explorer » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:01 am

They should drop it because the Lakers are fully invalidated now after popping champagne and hanging a banner only to get gentlemen's swept in round 1 after barely making the playoffs. They look stupid now as does Silver. Keep in mind that the IST bribed players to play hard and do their jobs during the regular season.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,962

Post#4 » by Rich Rane » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:02 am

But it's a way for lesser teams to grab hardware during the season?

Not even my words, Lakers fans. That was constantly a reason given by fans and analysts on why the IST is good.
Vonneguts
Freshman
And1: 53

Post#5 » by Vonneguts » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:16 am

Ask Haliburton and the Pacers if IST was worthy or not.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 25,048

Post#6 » by NyKnicks1714 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:19 am

The entire point of the the IST is to generate interest in early-season NBA games when nobody is watching, and it worked as intended.

They're literally just regular season games (except the final), with a little added intrigue. It's here to stay and there's no reason it shouldn't.
jehosafats
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by jehosafats » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:24 am

NyKnicks1714 wrote:The entire point of the the IST is to generate interest in early-season NBA games when nobody is watching, and it worked as intended.

They're literally just regular season games (except the final), with a little added intrigue. It's here to stay and there's no reason it shouldn't.

Point taken. Although that's assuming viewers learn to understand the bracketing. I know I was confused.
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,553

Post#8 » by CIN-C-STAR » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:24 am

The Lakers were the best team on Tuesdays & Fridays in November and early December, and deserve recognition for such, or something :lol:
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,325

Post#9 » by SNPA » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:35 am

NyKnicks1714 wrote:The entire point of the the IST is to generate interest in early-season NBA games when nobody is watching, and it worked as intended.

The floors. That’s enough reason to stop.

It also messes with the schedule, Sac played the Pels 5 times in the regular season. But you’re right, it’s probably here to stay not because players like it (first year novelty) but because Silver is going to tie it to some team advantage…likely a tiebreaker or something.
famicommander
Sophomore
And1: 553

Post#10 » by famicommander » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:45 am

It's just a fun early season distraction. It's nothing to celebrate but I don't see why we should hate on it either. It adds a bit of intrigue into what is normally the most boring section of the season.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,159

Post#11 » by UcanUwill » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:17 am

We had this thread already 2 days ago by Hair Jordan troll. I think I have made a decent points why IST is good and important and was success. Astonishing how some, I assume American fans still cant grasp the idea. IST was successful despite being just introduced, two trophies have nothing to do with one another, Lakers poped champagne because they beat other teams and won a trophy, as they should, no one ever claimed trophy has significant importance, not every trophy in sports is the same, they are all different, but you still celebrate it if you win one. I already made my points two days ago, I am not going to repeat myself since this exact 5 or 6 page thread was on the first page here just a day or two ago... And I am not even sure why it had 5 pages, what is here to discuss? NBA, just like 99.9% of all sports leagues in the world, now has side tournament. Side tournaments make season more fun and interesting, IST did just that.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,469

Post#12 » by durden_tyler » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:18 am

Why? It's still regular season games.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,249

Post#13 » by DonaldSanders » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:30 am

jehosafats wrote:Why should the NBA sanction a worst than bronze trophy?

The in-season tournament isn't just gimmicky. It's a mistake.

I don't have a problem with it, but multiple parties went too far in trying to over-hype it. The NBA did a Finals-level ceremony after the game, and the Lakers hung a banner. Both of these actions were over the top, and made the whole deal seem ridiculous at the time. Now that the winners were just 1st round almost sweep exits, it looks even sillier.

IST is fine, but let's hold the champagne/banner hanging type stuff.
Gatorade Sax
Senior
And1: 837

Post#14 » by Gatorade Sax » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:47 am

Seemed weird to me from the beginning, and I know I’m not the only one with those thoughts.

Needs to happen later in the season, and genuinely matter in some way..Not exactly sure how you get that to happen..As it stands, the Lakers and Indy simply played one extra game than everybody else with very little of substance to show for it.

Some sort of playoff implication would be interesting, but again..It’s hard to just negate years of NBA history with some sort a new gimmick..
jehosafats
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by jehosafats » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:28 pm

UcanUwill wrote:We had this thread already 2 days ago by Hair Jordan troll. I think I have made a decent points why IST is good and important and was success. Astonishing how some, I assume American fans still cant grasp the idea. IST was successful despite being just introduced, two trophies have nothing to do with one another, Lakers poped champagne because they beat other teams and won a trophy, as they should, no one ever claimed trophy has significant importance, not every trophy in sports is the same, they are all different, but you still celebrate it if you win one. I already made my points two days ago, I am not going to repeat myself since this exact 5 or 6 page thread was on the first page here just a day or two ago... And I am not even sure why it had 5 pages, what is here to discuss? NBA, just like 99.9% of all sports leagues in the world, now has side tournament. Side tournaments make season more fun and interesting, IST did just that.

Didn't see the other thread

Anyway, I can agree with that, other than it being interesting and important. It can be neither if there's zero playoff implications later in the season.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,943

Post#16 » by Mavrelous » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:32 pm

Move it to all star weekend, more time to schedule the games, makes it easier to schedule, and adds some competitive games to a dying event
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
ChiTownHero1992
Veteran
And1: 1,578

Post#17 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:36 pm

Hated it and always will...who knows in 10 years it might be more acceptable but it was just pointless this year
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,506

Post#18 » by Funcrusher » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:39 pm

Im more pissed off about the 65 game award cutoff the NBAPA agreed to, among other things. Honestly the league would be in a better place if we had gotten another lockout
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,830

Post#19 » by tsherkin » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:46 pm

Funcrusher wrote:Im more pissed off about the 65 game award cutoff the NBAPA agreed to, among other things. Honestly the league would be in a better place if we had gotten another lockout

Why?

People have crapped on limited-game awards forever, going back to Walton, and more recently Iverson. Why does having a minimum GP requirement bother you?
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,425

Post#20 » by boomershadow » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:52 pm

I think we should scrap anything that gets complained about on the internet.

Return to The General Board