Jokic's great, but Lebron's style of play is overrated in terms of championship/playoff impact.

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

dj20001
Sophomore
And1: 56

Re: Jokic's great, but Lebron's style of play is overrated in terms of championship/playoff impact. 

Post#21 » by dj20001 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:15 am

One_and_Done wrote:
ballzboyee wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:10 finals disagrees.

A bunch of L's.

To better teams. Lebron's style clearly works in the play-offs, or he wouldn't have been all the way to the finals 10 times.

Which happens every year, only one team wins. We all know there's no finals streak, or even 10 finals had LBJ been playing in the west for longer, however.
dj20001
Sophomore

Re: Jokic's great, but Lebron's style of play is overrated in terms championship/playoff impact. 

Post#22 » by dj20001 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:19 am

nikster wrote:
ballzboyee wrote:
nikster wrote:Nuggets SRS last year was low because of a ton of injuries and Jamal working his way back, and even then they coasted after securing #1 seed. . Even this year Jamal missed a ton of games

Kobe with Pau Gasol were swept by Dallas in the 2nd round and swept by Spurs in the 1st round, and Kobe wasn't winning anything past his prime.

2011 was weird. That team went on a 17-1 run after all-star break and looked to be getting Kobe's sixth ring. However, Bynum got hurt and Blake missed rest of season with illness. Context is important. Also, Bryant had the whole gay slur controversy and Phil Jackson had checked out and retired after that season. Bryant had to apologize, and the whole situation undermined the Lakers chemistry. That team was good enough to win without any controversy or injuries, but neither happened. I don't know why I am arguing though because Kobe has five rings and nobody doubts his championship impact. The Lakers win almost every time Kobe gets his team to the big game. Not so, Lebron.

Lmao so these are your excuses for Kobe in 2011
1) their back up PG was sick (but still played entire Dallas series and only missed first game of first round)
2) Bynum was injured (he played 54 of their last 57 regular season games and played all playoffs)
3) Kobe made a gay slur
4) Coach was checked out

You've got to be trolling

When was Kobe swept by SA with Gasol? You talking about the year Kobe didn't even play due to tearing his Achilles? Make sure YOUR own info is accurate before worrying about someone else's post.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,027

Re: Jokic's great, but Lebron's style of play is overrated in terms of championship/playoff impact. 

Post#23 » by JN61 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:22 am

Dominating ball to the extend of LeBron takes away from everyone else
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,027

Post#24 » by JN61 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:23 am

KyRo23 wrote:
Lebron's a regular season guy.

2nd most or the most finals losses in NBA history?
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#25 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:29 am

I think this makes somewhat sense once you take into account that LeBron is 39 now.
Once upon a time he was so good that some of th3 clutches he was putting in terms of coaching and team construction were not a real issue. He's not that guy anymore and LeBron-ball can take you just that far.
Слава Украине!
footworkonpoint
Sophomore
And1: 89

Re: Jokic's great, but Lebron's style of play is overrated in terms championship/playoff impact. 

Post#26 » by footworkonpoint » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:30 am

ballzboyee wrote:
nikster wrote:
ballzboyee wrote:
Nuggets have SRS 5.23 have a net rating on the season of +3. They are not a historically great team according to the metrics. Last year they were 3.04 and won just over 50 games. On paper the Lakers last year and maybe this year should not be losing 11 games to this squad. For example, this Nuggets team would not beat the 2017 GSW. No way. That was an all-time historically great teams that finished I think 11.5 SRS and net rating of almost +12.

There are other examples. In 2013 the the Spurs get taken to 7 by the Mavericks and then dominated the more talented Heat team 4-1. It's wasn't even that close. Maybe the most lopsided finals of all-time. In 2018 the Rockets take the GSW to 7 games (and should have won the series), and Lebron's team gets swept. GSW did not sweep any other team that season in the playoffs except Lebron's team. How do you explain that? Was Lebron's team actually the fourth or fifth best team in the NBA that year? If so, why are we giving him any credit at all for making the finals?

Either his teams are really not that good in the first place, or his teams are underperforming in the playoffs relative to expectations and compared to other results. It's not even about winning the championship. His teams are not even competitive when they lose. There are always teams that fail to be competitive, but usually there is a team context to it. Lebron's rosters have turned over more than probably any other player in the history of the NBA to make them specifically competitive in the playoffs, and it has not really worked.

For example, is Gasol is a poor man's Anthony Davis. If you put Kobe with Anthony Davis, the Lakers are winning multiple championships. They certainly are not losing 11 straight to the Nuggets, etc. That's not happening. Lebron's skill set is designed to showcase Lebron and to build his brand, and if the team wins then fine, but if not then Lebron can say that he got a triple double and then passively aggressive throw shade at the coach, his teammates, or just trade the whole team. Kobe is actually the really unselfish player, not Lebron. Lebron wants to dominate the ball in every facet. Kobe knew that he was primarily just a scorer and he sticks to his job. Kobe stays in his lane and allowed other players to maximize whatever it is they bring to the team. Kobe could play within a system that expected him to have a defined role, and hist teammates could depend on Kobe to just do his job.

Lebron is the opposite. Lebron occupying multiple team niches at once, and the problem has always been his raw stats do not convert to situational winning through team building and cohesion. Lebron is not a team guy. In fact, just the opposite. For example, right now the Lakers could potentially blow things up for Lebron. Lebron's teams are always under this constant psychological cloud on and off the court. His teams are inherently unstable because of his style of play and this off court "need more help" narrative that gets played out every off season. It's exhausting for other players, the coaches, the front offices, etc.

Nuggets SRS last year was low because of a ton of injuries and Jamal working his way back, and even then they coasted after securing #1 seed. . Even this year Jamal missed a ton of games

Kobe with Pau Gasol were swept by Dallas in the 2nd round and swept by Spurs in the 1st round, and Kobe wasn't winning anything past his prime.

2011 was weird. That team went on a 17-1 run after all-star break and looked to be getting Kobe's sixth ring. However, Bynum got hurt and Blake got chicken pox going into playoffs. Context is important. Also, Bryant had the whole gay slur controversy and Phil Jackson had checked out and retired after that season. Bryant had to apologize, and the whole situation undermined the Lakers chemistry. That team was good enough to win without any controversy or injuries, but neither happened. I don't know why I am arguing though because Kobe has five rings and nobody doubts his championship impact. The Lakers win almost every time Kobe gets his team to the big game. Not so, Lebron.
Off topic cause I don't agree with the main post but in that Laker season wasn't three rumors that Shannon brown was f***king Gasols long term gf at the time, game 1 was actually close close in the Lakers vs Dallas series no one thought it would be easy but I remember the Lakers kinda let that one slip out of there hands the whole Phil Jackson hitting Gasol in the chest definitely something weird with team chemistry going on there...

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
footworkonpoint
Sophomore

Post#27 » by footworkonpoint » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:32 am

nikster wrote:
ballzboyee wrote:
nikster wrote:Nuggets SRS last year was low because of a ton of injuries and Jamal working his way back, and even then they coasted after securing #1 seed. . Even this year Jamal missed a ton of games

2011 was weird. That team went on a 17-1 run after all-star break and looked to be getting Kobe's sixth ring. However, Bynum got hurt and Blake missed rest of season with illness. Context is important. Also, Bryant had the whole gay slur controversy and Phil Jackson had checked out and retired after that season. Bryant had to apologize, and the whole situation undermined the Lakers chemistry. That team was good enough to win without any controversy or injuries, but neither happened. I don't know why I am arguing though because Kobe has five rings and nobody doubts his championship impact. The Lakers win almost every time Kobe gets his team to the big game. Not so, Lebron.

1) their back up PG was sick (but still played entire Dallas series and only missed first game of first round)
2) Bynum was injured (he played 54 of their last 57 regular season games and played all playoffs)
3) Kobe made a gay slur
4) Coach was checked out

Not making an excuse either for Kobe I don't wanna get into a back j fourth both are great Lebron is higher on the all time list not question but and that Dallas team was legit but I rememebr some major team chemistry problems soemthing happend Gasol was a shell a of himself.

footworkonpoint
Sophomore

Post#28 » by footworkonpoint » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:35 am

Well, Shannon blew it up yesterday when he hit his Twitter page to clear up any rumors that he stepped out on his wife, singer Monica, with his teammate's lady (with extra exclamation points and all caps for emphasis). Brown wrote, "Ok let me put a end to this right now before it goes any further. I DID NOT SLEEP WITH @paugasol woman!!! First and last time addressing it!"

Before this blast, it was Kobe Bryant’s wife, Vanessa Bryant, who was said to be the one who broke up Gasol’s happy home after urging his girlfriend to leave him, which sparked chatter that Kobe and Pau were at odds. I dunno exactly what happend tbh I juat remember the chemistry was s horrible all of a sudden.

nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Post#29 » by nikster » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:36 am

dj20001 wrote:
nikster wrote:
ballzboyee wrote:

3) Kobe made a gay slur
4) Coach was checked out

When was Kobe swept by SA with Gasol? You talking about the year Kobe didn't even play due to tearing his Achilles? Make sure YOUR own info is accurate before worrying about someone else's post.

Yeah I realized right after I posted but the guy moved onto defending the dallas series
One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,681

Post#30 » by One_and_Done » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:50 am

dj20001 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
ballzboyee wrote:
A bunch of L's.

To better teams. Lebron's style clearly works in the play-offs, or he wouldn't have been all the way to the finals 10 times.

Which happens every year, only one team wins. We all know there's no finals streak, or even 10 finals had LBJ been playing in the west for longer, however.

Well if he's playing with an equal support cast to other stars there could have been.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,334

Post#31 » by Onus » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:56 am

Brandon_Roy7 wrote:

I didn't read ops post because I'm sure it's ridiculous. But this argument is the weakest one for sure. If he was in the west in his career, I would honestly say he's the goat. Pretty soon we will probably be saying Jason Tatum is the goat for reaching 10 finals straight with how weak the east is now.

The jimmy butler led heat have been to 2 of the last 4 finals while being swept in the finals by the west. Why is no one saying butler is the best player in the east for this accomplishment? Because the east is weak as hell and really is an afterthought.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,334

Post#32 » by Onus » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:01 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
dj20001 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:To better teams. Lebron's style clearly works in the play-offs, or he wouldn't have been all the way to the finals 10 times.

Well if he's playing with an equal support cast to other stars there could have been.

Lebron usually has more talent than any other team and still couldn’t guarantee him championships.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
dj20001
Sophomore

Post#33 » by dj20001 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:05 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
dj20001 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:To better teams. Lebron's style clearly works in the play-offs, or he wouldn't have been all the way to the finals 10 times.

The streak was helped, in part, due to no team in the east having two stars, let alone three. ATL as a 1 seed, multiple times beating teams with losing records, etc. There was quite a bit of "rest" baked into those runs. The west is a little different where a team could face all 50+ win squads during the playoffs.
Knightfall
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,060

Post#34 » by Knightfall » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:09 pm

I clicked in here, read like 1 line combined spread in that opening post, and realized it's probably the same troll making the same stupid posts. Scroll a little down and saw a few of the replies and said yup just as I thought it was a stupid, idiotic post full of nothing and that the guy was a fan of a rapist. just like that added the OP to my block list ensuring that I won't see anymore stupid and idiotic posts from them.
Loneshot
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,024

Post#35 » by Loneshot » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:12 pm

Lebron is not only the basketball GOAT, but also the GOAT of living rent free in the minds of many like the OP. SMH.
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#36 » by One_and_Done » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:17 pm

Onus wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
dj20001 wrote:

Lebron usually has more talent than any other team and still couldn’t guarantee him championships.

That's laughably untrue.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,906

Post#37 » by The Explorer » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:18 pm

Lebron has been swepped in the 2000s (2007), 2010s (2018), and the 2020s, (2023). In each of these sweeps, the opponent swept only Lebron's team, and no other team was swepped. Even injured teams like the 2018 spurs got at least a game.

And people call him the greatest player of all time :nonono:
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#38 » by One_and_Done » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:18 pm

Onus wrote:
Brandon_Roy7 wrote:

I didn't read ops post because I'm sure it's ridiculous. But this argument is the weakest one for sure. If he was in the west in his career, I would honestly say he's the goat. Pretty soon we will probably be saying Jason Tatum is the goat for reaching 10 finals straight with how weak the east is now.

The jimmy butler led heat have been to 2 of the last 4 finals while being swept in the finals by the west. Why is no one saying butler is the best player in the east for this accomplishment? Because the east is weak as hell and really is an afterthought.

Butler's 20, 22 & 23 play-offs runs are more impressive carry jobs than anything Kobe has ever done.
ballzboyee
Junior
And1: 408

Post#39 » by ballzboyee » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:34 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
Onus wrote:
Brandon_Roy7 wrote:

Butler's 20, 22 & 23 play-offs runs are more impressive carry jobs than anything Kobe has ever done.

Kobe did his work in the West was it's absolute peak all-time. Also, look at the quality of the top 5 defensive teams Kobe faced off against night after night in the West. With all due respect to Butler, he is not in any way in Kobe's league. In terms of Lebron, you guys him credit for beating up on these woeful East teams that wouldn't even make the playoffs in the Western Conference. Lebron's over all head-to-head records against other championship squads Lebron has won 40 percent of his games compared to a player like Kob who wins at a 62 percent clip. You guys are delusional giving Lebron credit for beating up cripple teams from the East with Dwayne Wade, Bosh, Kyrie, Love, etc.

If you count actual teams that went on to win a championship after Lebron faced them in the playoffs, Lebron's win percentage drops to just 35 percent. Most of those games were played in his prime with multiple all-stars on his rosters. Lebron is only good enough to carry his to 1 win every 3 games during championship window. It's not an exaggeration to say he is one of the worst playoff performers ever in the history of the NBA on championship rosters. That's a fact.
PedroFlu
Pro Prospect
And1: 650

Post#40 » by PedroFlu » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:35 pm

OP is a pathetic attempt at trolling, oportunistically trying to kick a down dog.

While I agree that LeBron has leadership problems and is nowadays a much more limited player than his stats say, the problem is media/public opinion need stg to talk about, so they overrate him and his team, only to be put down again.

The incredible thing is, guy may have another run next season. He's incredibly stubborn/obsessed, and will run it until wheels fall off - it's cool to see. I mean, even if he pouts during some games, he never - ever - gives up between games, series and seasons.

Tough on him, he gave his best shot and again fell off.

Return to The General Board