Tatum All Time Playoff Scoring

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

KyRo23
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,344

Tatum All Time Playoff Scoring 

Post#1 » by KyRo23 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:48 am

I don’t see this really talked about, but Tatum is on a great pace for all time playoff scoring currently.

He is currently at over 2,200 points in 6 seasons, not counting this one. For comparison, Jordan is at 5,900 in second place. Realistically how high can Tatum get? It would be pretty hard to pass LeBron up, but I can see Tatum getting pretty up there by the time it’s all said and done.

He already passed Giannis and is pretty close to some vets who have played twice as long as him. Pretty cool to see
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,219

Re: Tatum All Time Playoff Scoring 

Post#2 » by Mavrelous » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:12 am

I read the title as Batum All Time Playoff Scoring, took me a while until I realized it's Tatum...
He has the team to continue being contender for 3-4 years, he will be top 40 by end of these PO most likely, and top 10 before turning 30.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Zespetjest
Senior
And1: 669

Post#3 » by Zespetjest » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:30 am

Playing on east is unreal easy to get to playoffs, so do those stats mean anything at all?
31 11 13, 48 11 5
Hatrick Ewing
Junior
And1: 475

Post#4 » by Hatrick Ewing » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:35 am

Theoretically, he is a good player but idk Grady Dick balls but he a rookie he good tho. NBA YOUNGBOY LFG
MarcusBrody
Starter
And1: 3,821

Post#5 » by MarcusBrody » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:37 am

I'm actually pretty impressed. I wouldn't have expected him to be ahead of Giannis already, but it makes sense on reflection.

As Mavrelous said, Boston looks well-positioned to contend for the immediate future and the East looks notably weaker than the West both in current and emerging teams, so that will likely means tons of playoff games. It's obviously hard to predict anything in the NBA further out than 5 years, but he could easily be at 4500-4800 points at 30 and then just scoring another 1000 would put him in the all time top 5. Seems pretty doable.

If Boston can stay good and he can stay healthy, catching Kareem and Jordan seems very possible. I don't see Tatum as quite the level of player to ensure a deep playoff run with basically whoever is around him, so it of course depends on Boston continuing to make deep runs.
KyRo23
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by KyRo23 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:38 am

Zespetjest wrote:Playing on east is unreal easy to get to playoffs, so do those stats mean anything at all?

Of course it means something. Giannis plays in the east too and has been passed by Tatum. Celtics have been one of the best teams the past handful of seasons, it is earned for him IMO
TheNG
Rookie
And1: 1,445

Post#7 » by TheNG » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:54 am

Total playoff stats means nothing. It benefits players who win 4-3 almost twice over players who win 4-0.
If you have more "Posts" than "And1", don't feel bad if I didn't reply to you - I just don't like to speak with people who argue a lot :beer:
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 9,093

Post#8 » by AleksandarN » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:17 am

KyRo23 wrote:I don’t see this really talked about, but Tatum is on a great pace for all time playoff scoring currently.

He is currently at over 2,200 points in 6 seasons, not counting this one. For comparison, Jordan is at 5,900 in second place. Realistically how high can Tatum get? It would be pretty hard to pass LeBron up, but I can see Tatum getting pretty up there by the time it’s all said and done.

He already passed Giannis and is pretty close to some vets who have played twice as long as him. Pretty cool to see

Most points without a championship?
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,219

Post#9 » by Mavrelous » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:35 am

AleksandarN wrote:
KyRo23 wrote:I don’t see this really talked about, but Tatum is on a great pace for all time playoff scoring currently.

Most points without a championship?

That would be Karl Malone, highly unlikely for anyone to reach his total and not win.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
KyRo23
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by KyRo23 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:44 am

TheNG wrote:Total playoff stats means nothing. It benefits players who win 4-3 almost twice over players who win 4-0.

I feel this is kind of short sighted. Over a players career, you're going to have seasons where you have both. You're going to have seasons where you lose in the first round, times you win a ring and play a lot of games, hard series, short series...

If you take a look at the top playoff scoring list, it looks pretty good to me. It's just how basketball works. A few short series of 4-0 over your career is not really going to effect your all time point total, especially if you play 15 years.

Here is the list -

LeBron
Jordan
Kareem
Kobe
Shaq
Tim Duncan
Durant
Malone
Erving
West

There is the top 10. The nitpicking of shorter series to longer series seems moot at that point
SweaterBae
Sixth Man
And1: 2,582

Post#11 » by SweaterBae » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:58 am

Mavrelous wrote:I read the title as Batum All Time Playoff Scoring, took me a while until I realized it's Tatum...
He has the team to continue being contender for 3-4 years, he will be top 40 by end of these PO most likely, and top 10 before turning 30.

Super bummed about Batum, he never developed into a #2. Hell, he was never a #3.
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,733

Post#12 » by reload141 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:34 am

Zespetjest wrote:Playing on east is unreal easy to get to playoffs, so do those stats mean anything at all?

Come on now.

Can’t you just acknowledge that he’s still such a good player and that he could absolutely become close to Jordan in that 2nd spot for playoff scoring?

Making the “East is so easy argument” is getting boring.
Zespetjest
Senior

Post#13 » by Zespetjest » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:44 am

reload141 wrote:

Come on now.

Can’t you just acknowledge that he’s still such a good player and that he could absolutely become close to Jordan in that 2nd spot for playoff scoring?

Making the “East is so easy argument” is getting boring.

Yeah, truth is boring, that’s why fake news are selling more.
31 11 13, 48 11 5
Zespetjest
Senior

Post#14 » by Zespetjest » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:47 am

Also this:
Read on Twitter
?s=12
31 11 13, 48 11 5
Haldi
Junior
And1: 425

Post#15 » by Haldi » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:00 am

Zespetjest wrote:Also this:
Read on Twitter
?s=12

Meanwhile the west gonna be an absolute bloodbath and will have to face a fully rested Celtics team in the finals
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,280

Post#16 » by UcanUwill » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:06 am

Not to be downer or baiter, we know of course it means something, a lot actually. Obviously, Tatum is great player, but to challenge these records, guys usually need to luck out and get on great team early on. Tatum got that, he is big reason why team has been as good as it was, but far from the only one.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,208

Post#17 » by cupcakesnake » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:25 pm

UcanUwill wrote:

Not to be downer or baiter, we know of course it means something, a lot actually. Obviously, Tatum is great player, but to challenge these records, guys usually need to luck out and get on great team early on. Tatum got that, he is big reason why team has been as good as it was, but far from the only one.

Extremely rare trajectory for a big-time prospect to get drafted by a ready-to-go playoff team. It's a big head start in building an all-time great career. Happened for Bird, Magic, Kobe, Duncan, Barkley. It is much more common for a big talent to spend their early years at the bottom of the pyramid, or at least on a team that doesn't have the talent to win in the playoffs.

The 2017 Celtics won 53 games and went to the Conference FInals. They then traded for Kyrie, signed Gordan Hayward, and drafted Jayson Tatum. Funny that only one of those things worked out in the long run!

Tatum deserves some credit. He's an extremely easy star to build around since he's super versatile and a high level defender. He makes any lineup better and can plug gaps, play different roles. But yes Boston has had really strong talent over Tatum's whole career. Kyrie, Horford, Hayward, JB, Smart, Time Lord, Rozier, Kemba, Brogdon, Derrick White, Jrue, Kristaps, and a constant stable of good defensive personnel.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,126

Post#18 » by ChipotleWest » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:32 pm

I have a feeling Porzingis is going to come up small in the playoffs. He did with Dallas.
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,842

Post#19 » by Homer38 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:36 pm

Zespetjest wrote:Also this:
Read on Twitter
?s=12

Injuries are part of the game and that's always going to be the case....You can just control what you can control...Like the Bulls in the 1990s were healthy for most of the time come playoff time and sometimes their opponents had injuries like Orlando in 1996 when they were depleted as the series progressed but it wasn't their fault.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,868

Post#20 » by Marrrcuss » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:36 pm

TheNG wrote:Total playoff stats means nothing. It benefits players who win 4-3 almost twice over players who win 4-0.

You all have an acute talent for tearing down any and everything.

Return to The General Board