2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (CLE WINS 4-3)

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who wins?

Cavs in 4
2%
Cavs in 5
14%
Cavs in 6
24%
Cavs in 7
14%
Magic in 4
2%
Magic in 5
2%
Magic in 6
25%
Magic in 7
15%

Total votes: 283

Magicman125
Rookie
And1: 449

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (CLE leads 3-2) 

Post#1981 » by Magicman125 » Wed May 1, 2024 2:09 pm

Iwasawitness wrote:
Magicman125 wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
At the beginning of this game I would have agreed with this, but…

Cleveland winning this game pretty much changed everything. This was Orlando’s opportunity to steal home court and Cleveland still managed to defend it.

Games like these are soul crushing in the playoffs. It’s one thing to lose a game down to the wire. It’s another to do it when the opposing team is losing one of their starters. Jarrett Allen has arguably been the best player core Cleveland throughout this entire series. A lot of people, myself included, expected Cleveland to lose this game due to his absence. That ended up not happening.

The big thing though is now Morris has just earned his spot in Cleveland’s playoff rotation (unless this is a one time thing, in which case JBB would need to be fired as soon as this season ends). I don’t think people realize how big of a deal this is. The Magic were killing Cleveland in those lineups involving Niang. Morris doesn’t have the same weaknesses as him and offers more advantages on top of being very experienced in the postseason. He isn’t afraid of the moment and he was the first cavaliers player off the bench in this series to score in double figures. I’ve been preaching all series why Morris needs playing time and the results speak for themselves.

I’ll be interested to see what Cleveland does with Morris in game 6. If Allen is still out for that game, I would put him in the starting lineup. Even if he isn’t, he needs to be closing out the game like he did last night until Allen is back in. I’m just glad we have a big who can spread the floor and play great defense off the bench. What a god send.

With all of this in mind, I would not be surprised if Cleveland ended up winning game 6.

While I agree that Jarrett Allen has been your best player and winning without him is probably confidence-instilling for your squad, I think your offense got opened up a lot more due to having Morris in the game. As a big who can hit a three and still play decent defense on our front court. The smaller starting lineup, while giving up a lot to Banchero, also helped you all play faster and it opened up things for Strus and Garland to get theirs (though I blame Cole Anthony's defense for like 8 of those Strus points).

Magic will still be incredibly tough for you to beat on their home floor and then this game showed that they absolutely can win in a game 7 if they can force one. Really feels like a coin flip to me if it gets to that point, they just need to be able to take this punch to the gut and come back focused and take care of business at home, like they did in games 3 and 4 and the majority of the regular season in their building. Regardless, we'll see how the young guys handle a do-or-die situation and they'll be all the better for it win or lose.

If Allen is back in game 7, I have a hard time seeing Orlando winning that. Orlando is just so young and inexperienced and even at this point, it’s continued to show. It’s clear that Mobley defending Paolo changes everything, and if Strus is able to maintain some level of consistency… I think it’s game over for Orlando. You’ve mentioned Morris, but taking Niang out of the equation has now robbed Orlando of the lineup they’ve been taking advantage of the most against Cleveland.

So much of what I’m saying could be wrong. It will all depend on how game 6 plays out, which I still have Orlando winning. But I’m so curious as to how these new adjustments will play out for Cleveland.

I'm just happy to be here lol. All I wanted was for Orlando to win more than one playoff game to officially surpass the Vuc teams from 4 and 5 years ago with the new core. This is all gravy.

I believe in my team to win game 6, and think they're capable of taking game 7, but it's a big big ask for sure.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,870

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (CLE leads 3-2) 

Post#1982 » by mcfly1204 » Wed May 1, 2024 2:24 pm

Very interesting to see JBB needing to make an adjustment with Allen being out, but then making a subsequent adjustment in sitting Niang the entire game. I can see game 6 going either way at this point.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
Niko23
Lead Assistant
And1: 891

Post#1983 » by Niko23 » Wed May 1, 2024 2:35 pm

Orlando has shown incredible toughness and resilience. This is going 7 games and I concerned with the health of Don and Allen if it does...
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,172

Post#1984 » by Iwasawitness » Wed May 1, 2024 2:48 pm

Magicman125 wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
Magicman125 wrote:
While I agree that Jarrett Allen has been your best player and winning without him is probably confidence-instilling for your squad, I think your offense got opened up a lot more due to having Morris in the game. As a big who can hit a three and still play decent defense on our front court. The smaller starting lineup, while giving up a lot to Banchero, also helped you all play faster and it opened up things for Strus and Garland to get theirs (though I blame Cole Anthony's defense for like 8 of those Strus points).

Magic will still be incredibly tough for you to beat on their home floor and then this game showed that they absolutely can win in a game 7 if they can force one. Really feels like a coin flip to me if it gets to that point, they just need to be able to take this punch to the gut and come back focused and take care of business at home, like they did in games 3 and 4 and the majority of the regular season in their building. Regardless, we'll see how the young guys handle a do-or-die situation and they'll be all the better for it win or lose.

If Allen is back in game 7, I have a hard time seeing Orlando winning that. Orlando is just so young and inexperienced and even at this point, it’s continued to show. It’s clear that Mobley defending Paolo changes everything, and if Strus is able to maintain some level of consistency… I think it’s game over for Orlando. You’ve mentioned Morris, but taking Niang out of the equation has now robbed Orlando of the lineup they’ve been taking advantage of the most against Cleveland.

So much of what I’m saying could be wrong. It will all depend on how game 6 plays out, which I still have Orlando winning. But I’m so curious as to how these new adjustments will play out for Cleveland.

I'm just happy to be here lol. All I wanted was for Orlando to win more than one playoff game to officially surpass the Vuc teams from 4 and 5 years ago with the new core. This is all gravy.

I believe in my team to win game 6, and think they're capable of taking game 7, but it's a big big ask for sure.

Orlando is a great team and your coach has laughably out coached ours. I do think that if we were at full strength, this series would be over by now. But regardless, Orlando has surpassed my expectations. They should continue to be a dangerous team for years to come.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,911

Post#1985 » by Jadoogar » Wed May 1, 2024 3:29 pm

Likely the first signal that Mobley works better as a 5. I think Cavs take calls on Allen in the offseason.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,725

Post#1986 » by bmurph128 » Wed May 1, 2024 4:54 pm

Jadoogar wrote:Likely the first signal that Mobley works better as a 5. I think Cavs take calls on Allen in the offseason.

I think its a unique situation where Allen IMO is the better player right now AND Mobley has more trade value. So I'm still moving him, especially after he's upped his value in this series.

Unless we get a knock down, elite 3 point shooter (Strus was a good next step, but its not enough with Mobley and Allen both), one of them will have to be moved.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,823

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (Series tied 2-2) 

Post#1987 » by Rainwater » Wed May 1, 2024 5:10 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Funcrusher wrote:If Ant is MJ-ish, Paolo is LeBron-ish

Unless you're trying to say something about Edwards, Paolo is way more Melo.
Don't put that on him lol

Paolo is a mixture of Melo and Lebron. On offense he has the all around game of LBJ (can pass, rebound, and can play bully ball like LBJ) but lacks the defense. And Paolo has the scoring ability of Melo; Paolo and Melo’s mid range game are very similar. So I would say he is a little bit of both.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,372

Post#1988 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed May 1, 2024 5:13 pm

Jadoogar wrote:Likely the first signal that Mobley works better as a 5. I think Cavs take calls on Allen in the offseason.
Allen's value will never be higher, i hope they not only accept calls but find a trade they like.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#1989 » by JonFromVA » Wed May 1, 2024 6:33 pm

Magicman125 wrote:Fully expect Orlando to defend home court, and I think tonight is good proof of concept that Orlando is capable of beating them on the road if they cut out a few of the overzealous fouls and sloppy passes/dumb shots. Looking forward to Friday, that Mobley block was incredible.

Strus and Garland woke up and it caused us issues we haven't had to deal with as a defense til today's game.

Orlando is close, but winning a game 7 on the road is a big step for a young team. Winning a game 7 at home would be a pretty big step for the Cavs too unless Mitchell and Garland can build on what they did, and if they can do that, I wouldn't put game 6 in Orlando's bag quite yet.

Game 6 is going to be an elimination game, and that will bring some new pressure of it's own for the Magic.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (Series tied 2-2) 

Post#1990 » by JonFromVA » Wed May 1, 2024 6:46 pm

Rainwater wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Unless you're trying to say something about Edwards, Paolo is way more Melo.
Don't put that on him lol

Paolo is a mixture of Melo and Lebron. On offense he has the all around game of LBJ (can pass, rebound, and can play bully ball like LBJ) but lacks the defense. And Paolo has the scoring ability of Melo; Paolo and Melo’s mid range game are ver similar. So I would say he is a little bit of both.

When I think of LeBron (not 40 year old LeBron), I think of him pounding the ball on the perimeter waiting for the defense to clear out of the paint then breaking down his man off the dribble or via a P&R and attacking the rim. If the defense collapses on him, he kicks it out to an open shooter or gets it to a big for a dunk.

And the defense knows he's going to do this.

LeBron was also unselfish to a fault. He wouldn't be forcing up a shot over a defender like Mobley when a player like Larry Hughes was wide open let alone Franz Wagner.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,903

Post#1991 » by basketballRob » Wed May 1, 2024 7:02 pm

Orlando is the better team but are young and didn't have a home court advantage. Bill Simmons said the exact thing on his broadcast recently. According to Simmons, Boston would be more threatened by the Magic.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,914

Post#1992 » by RookieStar » Wed May 1, 2024 8:54 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Im not too upset we lost. Winning 2 games is already waaaaaay beyond our expectations.

Didn't think Orlando would be this good already so yeah u right. Still a chance to win this series even if you guys are underdogs

Well of course there is always a chance. But right now with their cherries just popped in the POs, I don't think they are thinking about closing/winning the series more than just basking in the experience of the POs which is I dunno if good or bad
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,372

Post#1993 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed May 1, 2024 10:46 pm

basketballRob wrote:Orlando is the better team but are young and didn't have a home court advantage. Bill Simmons said the exact thing on his broadcast recently. According to Simmons, Boston would be more threatened by the Magic.

I do not think i would agree Orlando is the better team, even if they win the next 2 games.

The healthier team, sure. The better coached team, sure. Probably even the more cohesive team.

But better? No i wouldn't say that.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,823

Post#1994 » by Rainwater » Wed May 1, 2024 10:50 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Don't put that on him lol

Paolo is a mixture of Melo and Lebron. On offense he has the all around game of LBJ (can pass, rebound, and can play bully ball like LBJ) but lacks the defense. And Paolo has the scoring ability of Melo; Paolo and Melo’s mid range game are ver similar. So I would say he is a little bit of both.

When I think of LeBron (not 40 year old LeBron), I think of him pounding the ball on the perimeter waiting for the defense to clear out of the paint then breaking down his man off the dribble or via a P&R and attacking the rim. If the defense collapses on him, he kicks it out to an open shooter or gets it to a big for a dunk.

LeBron was also unselfish to a fault. He wouldn't be forcing up a shot over a defender like Mobley when a player like Larry Hughes was wide open let alone Franz Wagner.

This is why I say he is a little bit of both. There are times where he will break down the defense to find the open man or just go straight to the basket like Lebron. And there are times he will go straight Melo with the midis.

Again, Paolo’s all-around game (aggression to basket (rebounding, aggression to basket, passing) is more advanced than Melo’s and closer to Lebron’s. However, his shot creation is similar to Melo and Paolo’s defense is probably just as poor as Melo's, lol. His game has elements of both players.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1995 » by JonFromVA » Wed May 1, 2024 11:01 pm

Rainwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Rainwater wrote:

This is why I say he is a little bit of both. There are times where he will break down the defense to find the open man or just go straight to the basket like Lebron. And there are times he will go straight Melo with the midis.

Again, Paolo’s all around game (rebounding, aggression to basket (although he needs to work on finishing, passing) is more advanced than Melo’s and closer to Lebron’s. However, his shot creation is similar to Melo and Paolo’s defense is probably just as poor, lol. His game has elements of both players.

I'll look for it.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,817

Post#1996 » by DowJones » Wed May 1, 2024 11:01 pm

basketballRob wrote:Orlando is the better team but are young and didn't have a home court advantage. Bill Simmons said the exact thing on his broadcast recently. According to Simmons, Boston would be more threatened by the Magic.

I don’t agree with this at all. I think Cleveland is more talented. Cleveland has a really bad offensive coach and Mitchell isn’t close to 100%.
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,172

Post#1997 » by Iwasawitness » Thu May 2, 2024 12:07 am

Based on what exactly? This isn't even Mobley's best game of the series and this was significantly closer than the first two games where Cleveland won by double digits. Nothing about this indicates that Mobley is better off being at the 5.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,903

Post#1998 » by basketballRob » Thu May 2, 2024 12:10 am

DowJones wrote:

I don’t agree with this at all. I think Cleveland is more talented. Cleveland has a really bad offensive coach and Mitchell isn’t close to 100%.
I disagree. I think the Magic are clearly more talented and only lost the first 2 games by double digits because of inexperience. The Magic should win game 6 easily, and game 7 will be another good game.

mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,870

Post#1999 » by mcfly1204 » Thu May 2, 2024 12:25 am

basketballRob wrote:
DowJones wrote:

I disagree. I think the Magic are clearly more talented and only lost the first 2 games by double digits because of inexperience. The Magic should win game 6 easily, and game 7 will be another good game.

I'm not sure you know what talent is.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,914

Post#2000 » by RookieStar » Thu May 2, 2024 12:25 am

basketballRob wrote:
DowJones wrote:

*sigh* Rob that is a big of a jinx statement as i read here.

Return to The General Board