Adam Silver admits All Star Game could disapear

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,201

Re: Adam Silver admits All Star Game could disapear 

Post#141 » by Jeffrey » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:53 am

I think people don't give Silver or the NBA more credit to rethink of what an All-Star weekend should be. Not many sports are willing to make changes almost every few years to see if it works. Over the last few years, they did the All-Star draft, they added Sabrina vs. Steph, etc. They should be commended for acknowledging that there is a problem and they are looking for different ways to engage the viewers. Thats always the first step to fixing the problem. Most corporations and sports fans just don't want to let go of "tradition" and "the way it should be".

US vs. the World
Add a 4 point line to test out
Have a 3v3 or 2v2 competition
Sabrina vs Steph vs Reggie Miller (or some other old head that can shoot)
Bring outside competition for the dunk contest

What struck me with the interview was that 75% of the viewers are now international... is that right? I could see Silver reaching deals with like Netflix, Prime and other streamers to continue to reach the globe.

BTW, please please please fcking bring back NBC even if its just one weekend.
Jazz9
Analyst
And1: 6,521

Post#142 » by Jazz9 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:40 am

There's no saving the all star game.
Players check out, it's a break for them and playing somewhat competitive basketball is the furthest thing from their mind.
Gary Cokeman
Pro Prospect
And1: 3,387

Post#143 » by Gary Cokeman » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:56 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:They need rest during the season.

Once again do you work all year with no vacation?

This is a job at the end of the day. They should get a vacation week off if they want it.

Once again. They don't work all year lol

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
Once again every job has a vacation. The NBA gives you a week off.

You seem to be ignoring the point the allstars deserve a week off to have a legit vacation and recover. They are basically still working while on vacation. Doesn't seem fair imo.

NBA Players get a vacation, its called "The Offseason"
My Teams Always Suck.
jk31
Rookie
And1: 685

Post#144 » by jk31 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:05 am

Bloodbather wrote:The only way to make players care about it is to put an incentive that impacts the actual season on it. Like giving the winning conference home court in the Finals.

and why exactly should I bother with the allstar game then if I am playing on a team without chances to reach the finals?

just get rid of the game itself, still nominate allstar teams as kind of "midseason all-nba teams" and let it be.
Bloodbather
Sophomore
And1: 411

Post#145 » by Bloodbather » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:33 am

jk31 wrote:
Bloodbather wrote:The only way to make players care about it is to put an incentive that impacts the actual season on it. Like giving the winning conference home court in the Finals.

and why exactly should I bother with the allstar game then if I am playing on a team without chances to reach the finals?

just get rid of the game itself, still nominate allstar teams as kind of "midseason all-nba teams" and let it be.

Most All-Stars play for Play-off level teams, though. If you get enough guys who give a crap, it'll work by contagion.
ChipotleWest
Analyst
And1: 2,768

Post#146 » by ChipotleWest » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:36 am

They could do like the Pro Bowl have a game of street ball where celebrities show up and play, and it's a big joke. Would be hilarious.
dj20001
Sophomore
And1: 56

Post#147 » by dj20001 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:20 am

M2J wrote:
Nate505 wrote:
M2J wrote:
Who cares if it is or not. There are people saying not to even give them a break.

Fact is, if anyone has a job or goes to school. Especially one where it involves physical labor, traveling constantly... You deserve and your body needs a break. Plus their families need to see them

They literally spend half their in season games at home, and get 4 months off a year. And most players get more than 4 months.

You have no idea what you're talking about. If you think that is exactly how it works and they dont deserve 7 days off after 4.5 months of what they do.... You're tripping

The OGs used to show up and show out and they had far more challenges to overcome. Travel, recovery, meals if you had a special type of diet, etc, etc. Everything is easier and all we’re getting is excuses - fans letting players off of the hook is the saddest part tbh.
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,605

Post#148 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:45 pm

jokeboy86 wrote:I still stand by its not that the all-star game has mysteriously got really bad the past couple years and worst then ever before but more due to the fact that in general people's attention spans have gotten shorter and that's the case for TV viewing audiences in addition to the fact that people have tons more options of things to watch or consume.

It has always been bad but it definitely got worse over the years.
To me what really caused the jumping of the shark it was the Rookie Game of 2004 and that disgusting ending

Слава Украине!
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,922

Post#149 » by RSP83 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:54 pm

If it doesn't add value then just erase it. The league has changed.
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,922

Post#150 » by RSP83 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:07 pm

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:
jokeboy86 wrote:I still stand by its not that the all-star game has mysteriously got really bad the past couple years and worst then ever before but more due to the fact that in general people's attention spans have gotten shorter and that's the case for TV viewing audiences in addition to the fact that people have tons more options of things to watch or consume.

To me what really caused the jumping of the shark it was the Rookie Game of 2004 and that disgusting ending

The players were sort of the "guardian" of the All-Star game tradition. It's up to them to maintain the value of that tradition. Once the players don't think it's tradition worth maintaining, then so goes the All-Star games importance.

I think Adam Silver is just sending a message to the players that he can erase it. To many players, especially first time selections or non-perennial All-Stars, it still holds some value. I mean they watched the selection announcement with their teammates and celebrates when their names get called. Like Banchero this year, Gobert cried when he didn't get selected some years back, Dame was salty when he got snubbed early in his career.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,667

Post#151 » by Harry Garris » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:21 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
og15 wrote:
docholliday99 wrote:
Work a job and not get a vacation all year? lol Majority of players have 5-6 months between the end and start of a season. Those poor bast****s

Yea, that one is a bit odd, there's lots of opportunity to take vacation either between April and October or June to October depending on how far ones team goes. 22/30 teams are done by the beginning of May, 26/30 by late May. Most players have 4-5 months off, and finals players still get at least 3 months.

Schedule wise, NBA players aren't struggling compared to other jobs, and wildly enough the players could muster up enough energy to play harder in the ASG in the past.

Ya I don’t see how anyone can ever make the argument that professional athletes don’t have enough free time throughout the year.

And ya it’s crazy how for decades when players would play 40+ mpg and play all 82 games or close to them, while having worse travel and playing far more back 2 back games. That those guys could find the energy to play all star games with just the basic level of energy.

But nowadays it’s just way too much to ask players to give basic level of effort for a game that is all about giving back to the fans.

I just think this is the inescapable reality of human psychology. If you increase someone's level of compensation and comfort you decrease their survivalist drive to fight for every scrap. Star NBA players are much more competitive and driven than the average person but still there comes a point where the compensation is so great that they're just not going to care about an exhibition game anymore.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,964

Post#152 » by NyKnicks1714 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:45 pm

Harry Garris wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
og15 wrote:Yea, that one is a bit odd, there's lots of opportunity to take vacation either between April and October or June to October depending on how far ones team goes. 22/30 teams are done by the beginning of May, 26/30 by late May. Most players have 4-5 months off, and finals players still get at least 3 months.

Schedule wise, NBA players aren't struggling compared to other jobs, and wildly enough the players could muster up enough energy to play harder in the ASG in the past.

Ya I don’t see how anyone can ever make the argument that professional athletes don’t have enough free time throughout the year.

And ya it’s crazy how for decades when players would play 40+ mpg and play all 82 games or close to them, while having worse travel and playing far more back 2 back games. That those guys could find the energy to play all star games with just the basic level of energy.

But nowadays it’s just way too much to ask players to give basic level of effort for a game that is all about giving back to the fans.

I just think this is the inescapable reality of human psychology. If you increase someone's level of compensation and comfort you decrease their survivalist drive to fight for every scrap. Star NBA players are much more competitive and driven than the average person but still there comes a point where the compensation is so great that they're just not going to care about an exhibition game anymore.

Not only that, but playing hard in any given game poses a non-zero risk to their livelihood. So when a game is meaningless, there's even less of an incentive to play hard.

And there's no solution here. Changing the format to USA v World isn't possible right now with the USA having so many more players. And if it does, when the world team is already outmatched, it's not going to be pretty when Luka and Jokic are treating the game as a bigger joke than anyone.

Keep the incentive simple: 500k to each winning player, 500k to their charities of choice. 100k to the charity of each losing player's choice. It's high but reasonable; it will accomplish something, but not everything.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,793

Post#153 » by Nate505 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:09 pm

M2J wrote:
Nate505 wrote:
M2J wrote:
Who cares if it is or not. There are people saying not to even give them a break.

Fact is, if anyone has a job or goes to school. Especially one where it involves physical labor, traveling constantly... You deserve and your body needs a break. Plus their families need to see them

They literally spend half their in season games at home, and get 4 months off a year. And most players get more than 4 months.

You have no idea what you're talking about. If you think that is exactly how it works and they dont deserve 7 days off after 4.5 months of what they do.... You're tripping

So they don't spend half their season games at home and get 4 months off a year? And most players don't get more than 4 months?

What exactly is incorrect there?
dj20001
Sophomore

Post#154 » by dj20001 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:51 pm

RSP83 wrote:
Ryoga Hibiki wrote:

The players were sort of the "guardian" of the All-Star game tradition. It's up to them to maintain the value of that tradition. Once the players don't think it's tradition worth maintaining, then so goes the All-Star games importance.

I think Adam Silver is just sending a message to the players that he can erase it. To many players, especially first time selections or non-perennial All-Stars, it still holds some value. I mean they watched the selection announcement with their teammates and celebrates when their names get called. Like Banchero this year, Gobert cried when he didn't get selected some years back, Dame was salty when he got snubbed early in his career.

Not at all surprising that this is in some ways tied to LBJ
dj20001
Sophomore

Post#155 » by dj20001 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:53 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Not only that, but playing hard in any given game poses a non-zero risk to their livelihood. So when a game is meaningless, there's even less of an incentive to play hard.

And there's no solution here. Changing the format to USA v World isn't possible right now with the USA having so many more players. And if it does, when the world team is already outmatched, it's not going to be pretty when Luka and Jokic are treating the game as a bigger joke than anyone.

Keep the incentive simple: 500k to each winning player, 500k to their charities of choice. 100k to the charity of each losing player's choice. It's high but reasonable; it will accomplish something, but not everything.

Please explain summer pick up games at your earliest convenience. The explanation you're providing, doesn't match up with the players actions in games that are actually less significant if money and injury are the concerns.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM

Post#156 » by NyKnicks1714 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:06 pm

dj20001 wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:

Please explain summer pick up games at your earliest convenience. The explanation you're providing, doesn't match up with the players actions in games that are actually less significant if money and injury are the concerns.

Those games are voluntary. The players who play in those games want to play in those games, for whatever reasons. I'm not in their heads, but clearly if someone is going harder in a pick-up game than they do in the ASG, the former means a lot more to them.

And to be clear, I'm not saying avoiding injury is the single driving factor of players not wanting to go hard, but it's one of them. It's mostly just about players having little incentive to try hard. What backlash have Jokic and Luka faced for treating the ASG like a complete joke? Zero. So why would they try hard next time?
dj20001
Sophomore

Post#157 » by dj20001 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:16 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
dj20001 wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:

Those games are voluntary. The players who play in those games want to play in those games, for whatever reasons. I'm not in their heads, but clearly if someone is going harder in a pick-up game than they do in the ASG, the former means a lot more to them.

And to be clear, I'm not saying avoiding injury is the single driving factor of players not wanting to go hard, but it's one of them. It's mostly just about players having little incentive to try hard. What backlash have Jokic and Luka faced for treating the ASG like a complete joke? Zero. So why would they try hard next time?

These players are being paid what they are, in part bc they're popular enough for fans to have interest in seeing them at the ASG though. If they love playing basketball, this shouldn't even be a thing.

I think there's an element of "if I didn't try, it didn't count" going on with the ASG. Another poster also mentioned a current lack of player accountability which is true. If LBJ had tried harder since becoming the face of the league, most players would have followed suit. You can claim to the best in the league, but when everyone is on the same platform you don't try and actually prove it? Even just for one game?

Its interesting mental gymnastics for sure.
GameChannel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,061

Post#158 » by GameChannel » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:36 pm

Simple solution: Get rid of the all-star designation completely. If players are not bothered to show up and put in the effort during the game, they're not gonna be any Allstars going forward.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM

Post#159 » by NyKnicks1714 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:48 pm

dj20001 wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:
dj20001 wrote:

These players are being paid what they are, in part bc they're popular enough for fans to have interest in seeing them at the ASG though. If they love playing basketball, this shouldn't even be a thing.

I think there's an element of "if I didn't try, it didn't count" going on with the ASG. Another poster also mentioned a current lack of player accountability which is true. If LBJ had tried harder since becoming the face of the league, most players would have followed suit. You can claim to the best in the league, but when everyone is on the same platform you don't try and actually prove it? Even just for one game?

Its interesting mental gymnastics for sure.

LBJ has won 3 ASG MVP's and has been key in the most competitive games in recent history; he's far from the biggest culprit here, but people blame him for everything lol. He somehow got flak for going hard on a block and hurting his hand on the rim a year ago.

And as for players wanting to prove they're the best...I present to you Jokic and Luka once again. Consensus best player in the league and a consensus top-5 player in the league. You prove you're the best player in the league in the regular season and in the playoffs. People whine about a non-competitive All-star game, but no one actually puts stock into it even when it is competitive. Giannis goes hard in every ASG, and no one cares.
Godymas
Veteran
And1: 2,311

Post#160 » by Godymas » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:48 pm

i just wonder what Kobe Bryant would say about these guys disrespecting the All Star game

Kobe who's award is tied to the All Star game (obviously it wouldn't be if he was still with us)

Return to The General Board