Adam Silver admits All Star Game could disapear

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

BloodNinja
Analyst
And1: 5,641

Re: Adam Silver admits All Star Game could disapear 

Post#101 » by BloodNinja » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:43 am

nikster wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Once again every job has a vacation. The NBA gives you a week off.

You seem to be ignoring the point the allstars deserve a week off to have a legit vacation and recover. They are basically still working while on vacation. Doesn't seem fair imo.
You seem to be ignoring the allready get 5 months of vacation.

There's 0% chance you aren't trolling though so carry on

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app

Don't think anybody taking 5 months vacation is staying in the league

These guys are basically playing basketball at the very highest level for at least 5 months straight heading into the all star weekend with little to no break. If you don't understand why they'd rather relax and spend time with family over thay break instead of coming into work for no reason I question if your human lol
They're load managing in November. They get plenty of time off. Fewer back to backs, fewer 4 games in 5 days, longer season than ever. All-Star break is also surrounded by more days off than even. These guys are just plain soft.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,137

Post#102 » by JustBuzzin » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:48 am

nikster wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Once again every job has a vacation. The NBA gives you a week off.

You seem to be ignoring the point the allstars deserve a week off to have a legit vacation and recover. They are basically still working while on vacation. Doesn't seem fair imo.
You seem to be ignoring the allready get 5 months of vacation.

These guys are basically playing basketball at the very highest level for at least 5 months straight heading into the all star weekend with little to no break. If you don't understand why they'd rather relax and spend time with family over thay break instead of coming into work for no reason I question if your human lol
They think the grind stops after the season. These guys have to stay in tip top shape during the off-season.

Look at Zion he came to camp out of shape for years because he wasn't working during the off-season. You gotta stay working to perform and make the big bucks.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,137

Post#103 » by JustBuzzin » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:56 am

BloodNinja wrote:
nikster wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:You seem to be ignoring the allready get 5 months of vacation.

They're load managing in November. They get plenty of time off. Fewer back to backs, fewer 4 games in 5 days, longer season than ever. All-Star break is also surrounded by more days off than even. These guys are just plain soft.
Someone who risk injury every game is not soft. They have a lot on the line playing that many games a season. Of course they will load manage. These are explosive athletes who are jumping and landing with force nightly. The body gets tired after a long period of time.

I swear some of y'all must have never played sports at all. Sports is not easy. Your body takes a beating. Look at some of these dudes after they retire and can barely walk straight.

Cmon guys be fair.
Hitachi77
Senior
And1: 672

Post#104 » by Hitachi77 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:06 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
BloodNinja wrote:
nikster wrote:Don't think anybody taking 5 months vacation is staying in the league

Someone who risk injury every game is not soft. They have a lot on the line playing that many games a season. Of course they will load manage. These are explosive athletes who are jumping and landing with force nightly. The body gets tired after a long period of time.

I swear some of y'all must have never played sports at all. Sports is not easy. Your body takes a beating. Look at some of these dudes after they retire and can barely walk straight.

Cmon guys be fair.

How many former NBA players can’t walk straight? It’s not the NFL or boxing.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,146

Post#105 » by ItsDanger » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:23 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
BloodNinja wrote:
nikster wrote:Don't think anybody taking 5 months vacation is staying in the league

Cmon guys be fair.

Don't think basketball ranks that high on careers with most injury risk. In fact, I know it doesn't. NBA players likely get 50% of those 5 months off completely. Don't get fooled by these workout videos.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
SportsGuru08
Senior
And1: 539

Post#106 » by SportsGuru08 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:36 am

Frankly it should go away. It's become an absolute farce at this point.
NBA4Lyfe
Veteran
And1: 1,652

Post#107 » by NBA4Lyfe » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:15 am

silver made the game less physical as part of the agenda to globalize the NBA. thats all it ever was, not saying these current international players wouldnt be good before whenever silver became commishner which was 2014. But you had to be damn near a hof talent to get these american born players to take a backseat to you.( ginobili, dirk, yao, nash)

Like i cant see any era of the past 30 years besides this one where players like josh giddey, sengun, gobert, reaves, sabonis, lauri
mastermixer
Starter
And1: 2,975

Post#108 » by mastermixer » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:18 am

I dumbfounded as to how the All Star game keeps coming up as a taking point.

No one really cares about the competitiveness of the all star game.

Fix the damn competitiveness of the regular season.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 794

Post#109 » by disoblige » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:40 am

Whoever loses does 100 push-ups.
the_other_guy
Junior
And1: 313

Post#110 » by the_other_guy » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:43 am

YogurtProducer wrote:Replace the all-star game with the mid-season tournament finals. Still do the 3-point contest and those events and replace the ASG with the final. DONE.

That is how we have it in Lithuania. There is Lithuanian cup Final 4, with some entertainment and 3 point contest. We scratched dunk contest, cos white men can't jump.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,290

Post#111 » by JDR720 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:48 am

I like the idea to replace the All-Star weekend with the Mid-Season tournament finals.

Do the dunk, 3pt and skills contest on Saturday. Do the tournament final on Sunday.

And to increase the stakes. The winner of the tournament, if they make it to the NBA finals, get home court advantage. Regardless of their record.

If the winner doesn't make it to the finals. The runner-up gets homecourt. If they also don't make it. The better record does, like it already is.

Also, the two finalists automatically advance through the play-in, if they end up in it.
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,382

Solution to ASG and In Season Trouney Issue 

Post#112 » by pipfan » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:27 am

We all know the ASG is dead, and won't be revived
The In Season tourney was a nice gimmick, but not a real boost I think-too complicated.

So, you eliminate the ASG and put in this plan

1. 32 teams (until expansion the top seed in each conference gets a first round bye)
Broken into their 8 team divisions. The team at the top of each division plays the last place team in the division on the Saturday before the Super Bowl, 2nd place team plays the 7th and so on.

2. On the Monday before the Super Bowl, the 4 winners from each 1st round game play, while the losers play in their own bracket

3. On Wed the final two winners from each division games play, to pick each entry into the Final Four

4. On All Star Friday, you have the Final Four at the host site (other teams play in their own cities)

5. On All Star satruday, you have all the events

6. On Sunday you have the Tourney championship game, while other teams play in their own cities

Mon/Tues off, and you run to the rest of the season.

I think a one week Tourney makes WAY more sense than how the league did it this year.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,266

Post#113 » by YogurtProducer » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:30 pm

JDR720 wrote:I like the idea to replace the All-Star weekend with the Mid-Season tournament finals.

Do the dunk, 3pt and skills contest on Saturday. Do the tournament final on Sunday.

And to increase the stakes. The winner of the tournament, if they make it to the NBA finals, get home court advantage. Regardless of their record.

If the winner doesn't make it to the finals. The runner-up gets homecourt. If they also don't make it. The better record does, like it already is.

Also, the two finalists automatically advance through the play-in, if they end up in it.

I think a “point” system for the nba would work better. Each regular season win is worth 1, and then you get points for better finishes in the mid season tourney.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
hauntedcomputer
Veteran
And1: 3,880

Post#114 » by hauntedcomputer » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:35 pm

When McClung, Sabrina, and various pop celebrities are the highlights of your extravaganza, then NBA basketball is the lowest thing on the list.

It did use to matter because players played with competitive pride (watch old games on YouTube) and because the game money and MVP prize car actually made a difference. I don't see how you can change either of those things. Frankly it's been embarrassing for at least two decades now. I basically take a vacation from the NBA for that week.
+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.
doogie_hauser
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,054

Post#115 » by doogie_hauser » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:39 pm

JDR720 wrote:I like the idea to replace the All-Star weekend with the Mid-Season tournament finals.

No, the team with the best record in the league should always have home court advantage in the finals

Either make it USA v the World or get rid of it altogether

I think the players would just prefer having the week off/rest anyway.

I
Rendei
Sixth Man
And1: 2,522

Post#116 » by Rendei » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:43 pm

The worst part about watching the All Star game is knowing that a lot of those guys are probably going harder during pick up games. It's baffling because most of them are hyper competitive, but apparently the all star game qualifies as some sort of exception.
dantas
Sophomore
And1: 143

Post#117 » by dantas » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:02 pm

Well, at this point, it's obvious that the All-Star game is broken, because is not competitive.

But it's still a tradition of more than 70 years, and I don't agree that the league should give it up.

I think the idea of a USA vs World could be a small improvement, but I don't think the players would change their attitude. I'd try bolder ideas. Eliminate the Sunday match. Make the event just about challenges: skill, three-pointers, dunk contests and, sunday, a 1v1 tournament.
westbricc
Sophomore
And1: 144

Post#118 » by westbricc » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:02 pm

I'd welcome getting rid of it at this point.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,796

Post#119 » by Nate505 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:39 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
Nate505 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Serious as a heart attack.

Who knew these guys played games in August.

August is not part of their work schedule.

Ok? So they're not working all year, and thus the "how would you like it if you didn't get a vacation all year" question is meaningless. Got it.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,796

Post#120 » by Nate505 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:42 pm

M2J wrote:
Nate505 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Well duh!

These guys use all-star for vacation and family time. Nobody wants to work a full season without vacation time. Imagine working a job and you can't go on vacation all year.

I can't tell if this is serious or not.

Who cares if it is or not. There are people saying not to even give them a break.

Fact is, if anyone has a job or goes to school. Especially one where it involves physical labor, traveling constantly... You deserve and your body needs a break. Plus their families need to see them

They literally spend half their in season games at home, and get 4 months off a year. And most players get more than 4 months.

Return to The General Board