The Denver Nuggets: I have concerns

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,226

Re: The Denver Nuggets: I have concerns 

Post#21 » by kenwood3333 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:19 pm

The team was overly relying on Jokic in previous seasons. Its on the front office for not providing him with sufficient support, and stuck with bunch of overpaid and overrated role players.
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 6,552

Post#22 » by BigGargamel » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:33 pm

I'm not worried about the team itself. They're the same team as last year, and are in the same position as last year, they'll be fine.

What I am worried about is the rest of the West. Other teams are so much better this year. Minnesota, Clippers, OKC, Dallas, Houston, Kings all better. And the Lakers, Suns, maybe even Warriors will be tough outs.
BigGargamel
Veteran

Post#23 » by BigGargamel » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:34 pm

Ben-N1ce wrote:Jokic can't rely on his explosiveness and athleticism anymore and it's starting to show.

LOL what? When did Jokic ever have "explosiveness"?
KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,293

Post#24 » by KamikazeK » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:37 pm

Big J wrote:Chill bro. They are going to be fine. Veteran teams don’t go as hard in the regular season because as long as they don’t drop into the play in it doesn’t matter. They will just flip a switch in the playoffs.

They win one chip and y'all act like they're the Durant Warriors or LeBron who in their time were guaranteed to just cruise back to the finals. :lol:
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 2,187

Post#25 » by Bobbymcgee » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:37 pm

They remind me of the Bucks the year after they won the title. Lost a key player and expected other guys on the bench to step up. Easier said than done. Denver is at risk of being one and done like the Bucks were.
BigGargamel
Veteran

Post#26 » by BigGargamel » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:44 pm

And people continue to underestimate how much Jamal Murray means to this team. He's been out.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,810

Post#27 » by winforlose » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:45 pm

BigGargamel wrote:And people continue to underestimate how much Jamal Murray means to this team. He's been out.

No doubt, but Joker is so much more valuable than Murray. Denver without Murray is probably a playoff team. Denver with Murray but without Joker, that is a play in team at best.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,462

Post#28 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:14 am

Johnny Tomala wrote:They won't repeat, as simple as that. Anyone want to bet with me? Signature bet.

So brave of you to take the field lol
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Johnny Tomala
Veteran
And1: 2,153

Post#29 » by Johnny Tomala » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:16 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
Johnny Tomala wrote:They won't repeat, as simple as that. Anyone want to bet with me? Signature bet.

I was writing this before the season started. I don't believe Nuggets will dominate NBA for years like a lot of people do. They had terrible off-season.
Texas Chuck
And1: 90,462

Post#30 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:20 am

Johnny Tomala wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

I was writing this before the season started. I don't believe Nuggets will dominate NBA for years like a lot of people do. They had terrible off-season.

Again, super brave of you to take the field ahead of one team. :D But mainly that you felt like it was such a brave take you were offering a sig bet lol.

It would be one thing if you said team X is winning the title, I'll bet my sig on it. Okay that's showing some real confidence. This is uh just playing the percentages. And its not bolder because you said it before the season. We have had a few teams you should take against the field -- the KD Warriors, peak Shaq Lakers, Jordan/Pippen Bulls, but mostly no team is a favorite against the field. This isn't some take only you have the guts to have. :D
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,706

Post#31 » by eyeatoma » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:10 am

Domejandro wrote:
Statlanta wrote:Jokic’s shooting regression is what worries me more. I believe any team that upgraded from last year can take them out.

He’s dealing with a nagging wrist injury, for what it’s worth. I’m not particularly concerned about his shooting splits, long-term.

This is the same injury he had last season. He should have been smart about it and gotten surgery on it in the offseason. If it gets worse he might have to during the season.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,198

Post#32 » by HMFFL » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:19 am

Statlanta wrote:Jokic’s shooting regression is what worries me more. I believe any team that upgraded from last year can take them out.
Main concern I see among teams is the size of the R-Wolves. They have the size and the toughness.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
DC_Melo
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,372

Post#33 » by DC_Melo » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:28 am

Chuck Everett wrote:If any one of their starters are out in any given game, they're more than likely going to be in for a nail biter. KCP didn't play tonight against OKC and he was missed significantly. Jeff Green (much maligned by some RealGMers) has brought his vet savvy to Houston and played a huge role in beating the Nuggets thrice this season.

Which team doesn’t have this problem??
Chessboxer
Analyst
And1: 691

Post#34 » by Chessboxer » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:40 am

I think teams have figured out one of the main keys to beating the Nuggets is to keep them of the offensive boards. With Jokic/Gordon and their athletic guards they're tough to beat because they're constantly crashing the offensive glass and getting second chance opportunities. However, emerging tall athletic squads like the Wolves/OKC/Houston have given them major problems this year.
" What I do is attack your ability. I don't have to stand over you and taunt you. You'll know when it's done that I'm better."

-Micheal Jordan
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,870

Post#35 » by Chuck Everett » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:52 am

DC_Melo wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:If any one of their starters are out in any given game, they're more than likely going to be in for a nail biter. KCP didn't play tonight against OKC and he was missed significantly. Jeff Green (much maligned by some RealGMers) has brought his vet savvy to Houston and played a huge role in beating the Nuggets thrice this season.

Which team doesn’t have this problem??

Nuggets appear to be the only title contender without a second all-star caliber player to carry the load if their star isn't dominating.

Milwaukee: Giannis, Dame and Middleton
Boston: Tatum, Brown, Porzingis
Philadelphia: Embiid, Maxey
Miami: Butler, Bam
Minnesota: Kat, Gobert, Ant
Clippers: Kawhi, George, Harden
Lakers: Lebron, AD

I don't think Dallas or OKC are there yet, but I think it would be really nice if someone other than Jokic stepped up and played to the status of the contracts they earn. No reason for Murray, Porter Jr. or Aaron Gordon not to elevate their games to be in consideration for all-NBA. Consistency matters.

Then again... maybe they're sandbagging for the regular season, but I don't see them as so good that they can afford to do that.

ETA: Murray shows out in the playoffs and then some, but I don't see them as so overwhelming if they finish with say the 4th best record in the conference that they could go on the road and win 3 series without HCA. Like I said in the OP, I would like to see them rip an 8-12 game win streak. They look like they're going through the motions.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 9,674

Post#36 » by GrandTheftRondo » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:54 am

It’s hard to win back to back and reality is last season things worked out really well for them.

The West was a bit meh.

The Heat came out of the East unexpectedly and their lack of depth finally came to show in the finals.

This season things are different so wouldn’t shock at all if someone else in the West knocks them off.
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,752

Post#37 » by GeorgeSears » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:42 am

The Nuggets have had the 6th toughest schedule 27 games into the season, and considering Jamal Murray missed 14 games, I would say 17-10 is about right where they should be. Their last game against OKC was easily their worst performance of the season, all things considered.

With that said, they're about to hit a very soft portion of their schedule. I don't want to get ahead of myself because injuries and bad nights tend to happen, but they should rampage through their next 14 games until they reach the Sixers on Jan 16. I could see 10-4 in this stretch or even better. If they do, we're going to have a much different conversation.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,789

Post#38 » by ReginaldDwight » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:44 am

Murray is the key piece and hes missed alot of time, people forget how good he was last postseason.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,297

Post#39 » by MrBigShot » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:45 am

Murray becomes a top 10 player during the playoffs. His health will be the key to whether or not they can repeat.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Snake3
Sophomore
And1: 146

Post#40 » by Snake3 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:34 am

I wouldn't be too concerned about the Nuggets. They missed Murray a lot and could've won more of their games with Murray in the lineup or if the team was fully healthy.

From what I have seen this season they have three issues which all could be resolved in the long term.
1. Star players aren't playing as well as they could.
Jokic isn't shooting the ball well, that's it for him. Not worried about it. He isn't shooting godly anymore, but his back and his wrist are bothering him. He is still efficient, just not MVP Jokic efficiency. Those two bad games dmg his shooting % and his 3 ball isn't falling. I'm sure it'll balance out by the end of the season.

Murray isn't playing as well as he could, but I guess he just turns it on in the POs. I thought he was gonna make the leap this year and perform better in the RS, but naw. Granted, he also been battling through injuries. So, it's tough luck.

2. Their 3ball isn't falling at an elite rate.
They are shooting at league average. They have elite shooters tho. Jokic also shot a bit more from 3 this season, but he's been off. Murray also hasn't played a lot of games lately. It might go back to normal, but idk.

3. Young guys are making mistakes
There are some small mistakes here and there from their young players. Some key TOs, and lack of consistency at times. But they have talent and potential. The bench is playing better with Reggie on there.

4. They had a tough schedule. More games than any team, and a lot of back to back.

They are okay. Although they have tough competition this year for sure. Minny looking impressive, and they could probably be the team to make it out of the West. Their size could bother Denver for sure if everyone stays healthy. It's tough to repeat. The West in general is tough. But Nuggets can play better than what they played so far. It's not a lock by any means. There is competition in the West. We'll see.

Return to The General Board