Dallas is a disgrace, first team ever to tank with a Playoff birth on the line

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,112

Re: Dallas is a disgrace, first team ever to tank with a Playoff birth on the line 

Post#861 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Mon May 22, 2023 2:17 pm

ACMFFL wrote:
OrangeBlueSkies wrote:
MavsDirk41 wrote:
I cant stand Cuban but i think Brunson made up his mind before free agency that he didnt want to return to Dallas. Luka is a ball dominate player and Brunson wanted the chance to run a team. He knew he would get that in New York and New York would open the bag to get him there. Gotta see what Kyrie will do but i would see if maybe a sign and trade is possible. They need a center and some defense minded players. They will shop the pick but i wouldnt rule out them keeping it.

You seem like a nice guy so I wont be a jerk, but if Brunson was gone, why didnt Dallas atleast s&t and get something for him. Pretty sure they could of gotten Noel and Alec Burk. If a Kyrie s&t happens, it could see Dangelo Russell ending up in Dallas. I'm just not sure how that will help... a kyrie sign and trade for Deandre Ayton? Now that trade I think makes a lot of sense. Luka alongside a mobile 7 footer could actually work... somewhat.

That's because Cuban is an idiot, over time I think almost every Mavs fan realized that the JB fiasco is entirely on him.

For sure. Listen, I'm not trying to kick anyone while they are down, I've suffered for far too long being a Knicks lifer, but he compounded it by signing McGee (who hardly got onto the floor). Not that the signing was a bad move, but if there is such disconnect b/w the front office and coaching staff, it will shine through and it clearly does with the McGee signing and let's not forget the lack of playing time for C. Wood.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,503

Re: Dallas is a disgrace, first team ever to tank with a Playoff birth on the line 

Post#862 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 22, 2023 2:18 pm

Xatticus wrote:
jazzfan1971 wrote:I wonder if Dallas is looking at Miami right now and thinking, 'That could have been us. We had at least as much talent as Miami.'

Or are they just happy keeping that draft pick until next year.

That's the curious bit of all of this. It's difficult to understand why Mavs fans are doing victory laps. Keeping that pick doesn't fix anything. They still owe NY a pick. Putting that much weight on the 10th pick in this year's draft at the expense of a playoff appearance reeks of desperation. Nobody else is looking at a late lottery pick in this draft and thinking it is the key to saving their franchise.

LOL at "Victory laps".

We are just trying to point out that tanking for 3 quarters isn't the biggest crime in NBA history that a few loud Knicks fans invented as a narrative thinking they could manifest the Mavs pick to them.

Trust me if any fanbase has no illusions about draft picks it is the Mavericks fanbase. This is not a franchise that has historically built through the draft and has blown more lottery picks than they have hit on.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,632

Post#863 » by WargamesX » Mon May 22, 2023 2:38 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
jazzfan1971 wrote:I wonder if Dallas is looking at Miami right now and thinking, 'That could have been us. We had at least as much talent as Miami.'

Or are they just happy keeping that draft pick until next year.

That's the curious bit of all of this. It's difficult to understand why Mavs fans are doing victory laps. Keeping that pick doesn't fix anything. They still owe NY a pick. Putting that much weight on the 10th pick in this year's draft at the expense of a playoff appearance reeks of desperation. Nobody else is looking at a late lottery pick in this draft and thinking it is the key to saving their franchise.

LOL at "Victory laps".

We are just trying to point out that tanking for 3 quarters isn't the biggest crime in NBA history that a few loud Knicks fans invented as a narrative thinking they could manifest the Mavs pick to them.

Trust me if any fanbase has no illusions about draft picks it is the Mavericks fanbase. This is not a franchise that has historically built through the draft and has blown more lottery picks than they have hit on.

This thread got bumped in May by a mavs fan taking a victory lap over how that desperate scheme produced the 10th pick. The timing of which couldn’t be worst because we are now watching a playin team make a finals run.

Also the narrative changed after it became clear better picks are available for trade, and the rumor that it would go to the suns for Ayton who is at best a questionable fit next to Luka and Kyrie. The asset isn’t worth much and a lot of people still think the Mavs threw a game to keep it.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,337

Post#864 » by Archx » Mon May 22, 2023 2:45 pm

WargamesX wrote:This thread got bumped in May by a mavs fan taking a victory lap over how that desperate scheme produced the 10th pick. The timing of which couldn’t be worst because we are now watching a playin team make a finals run.

Also the narrative changed after it became clear better picks are available for trade, and the rumor that it would go to the suns for Ayton who is at best a questionable fit next to Luka and Kyrie. The asset isn’t worth much and a lot of people still think the Mavs threw a game to keep it.

One Mav fan is not the same as the other 99.9% of fans my friend. And lets not pretend like Knick fans weren't rooting and being happy how they're getting that pick this year :P

I actually believe Ayton would be a great fit. If motivated and healthy, he's a very solid rim protector and rebounder. Mavs haven't had that since 2011. Problem is, a lot of Mavs fans think he's simply too expensive at 30M.
Texas Chuck
And1: 90,503

Post#865 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 22, 2023 2:49 pm

WargamesX wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

LOL at "Victory laps".

This thread got bumped in May by a mavs fan taking a victory lap over how that desperate scheme produced the 10th pick. The timing of which couldn’t be worst because we are now watching a playin team make a finals run.

Got it. One Mav fan bumped a thread so all Mavs fans are taking victory laps.

And because the Heat are making a deep run, Dallas was clearly guaranteed too.

And one super sketchy rumor that has already been debunked by Marc Stein means Dallas is definitely going to swap that pick for Ayton lol.

Pretty sure that's not how any of this works but.... :D
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,891

Post#866 » by Pointgod » Mon May 22, 2023 2:50 pm

OrangeBlueSkies wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
OrangeBlueSkies wrote:

Miami is a team that was one loss away in the play in from going home.

They are in the eastern conference finals and one of the final four remaining. Sure, Dallas might have NOT made the play in, but they were still mathematically in it. They played luka the entire first quarter of one of those games just to sit him the entire rest of the game? That’s embarrassing and disgraceful.

Enjoy the 10th pick Dallas, I think the bigger picture is the damage that did with Luka.

Once OKC beat Utah Dallas was out of the playin because OKC was not losing against Memphis resting every single player and their mama. It was always dumb to criticize the Mavs for protecting their pick. Now they have another asset to move to get Luka some help.

Yeah, go get Luka some help Cuban. Now you have AN asset.

So you think it’s better to have no pick? Knicks fans are so salty :lol: :lol: this is hilarious
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,632

Post#867 » by WargamesX » Mon May 22, 2023 3:01 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
WargamesX wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
LOL at "Victory laps".

Got it. One Mav fan bumped a thread so all Mavs fans are taking victory laps.

And because the Heat are making a deep run, Dallas was clearly guaranteed too.

And one super sketchy rumor that has already been debunked by Marc Stein means Dallas is definitely going to swap that pick for Ayton lol.

Pretty sure that's not how any of this works but.... :D

1. It was more than a few afterward. 2. you never know and that came up in April 3. The debunk was debunked.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,112

Post#868 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:04 pm

Pointgod wrote:
OrangeBlueSkies wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Once OKC beat Utah Dallas was out of the playin because OKC was not losing against Memphis resting every single player and their mama. It was always dumb to criticize the Mavs for protecting their pick. Now they have another asset to move to get Luka some help.

So you think it’s better to have no pick? Knicks fans are so salty :lol: :lol: this is hilarious

I'd rather have Josh Hart on my team rather than the 20th pick in the draft. There's no salt just funny how Dallas fans can't just **** on their FO when they need to.

When the Knicks had an incompetent front office, myself as well as many others were the first to call them out on their ****. Dallas insisted on McGee be included in a draft night Ayton deal ; really? Take Ayton and say thank you. Find a way to unload McGee elsewhere.

Is Christian Wood leaving?
One Last Shot
Starter
And1: 2,965

Post#869 » by One Last Shot » Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:09 pm

Dereck Lively will be perfect with the Knicks. What a shame that Mavs also get a decent big who averaged 14.3 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 1.6 bpg, 67 TS% 2 years ago in Richaun Holmes and possibly draft the better version of DFS in Olivier Prosper at 24th Pick while shedding the salary of Bertans only because they tank one single game last season.
The Servant
Senior
And1: 718

Post#870 » by The Servant » Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:19 pm

Mavs knocked it out of the park with this one. I don't think they fared much of a chance last post season as the Nuggets, Suns and Lakers would have feasted on their weak defence. They received a great future rim protector on a low salary that can catch lobs from Luka and Kyrie, and they cleared capspace in order to resign Kyrie which hopefully lets them retain an asset they just paid for.

I was a little salty about it because I wanted OKC to get the better spot the Mavs landed in, but I can't deny it was a calculated move that paid off and really set their franchise up for more long term success.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,223

Post#871 » by sunsbg » Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:28 pm

Better this Dereck Lively kid pans out after Mavs asked Luka and a few others to lose this game intentionally.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,958

Post#872 » by basketballRob » Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:07 pm

Lively is close to the same size as Wembanyama, and I believe younger.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,347

Post#873 » by ShootersShoot » Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:14 pm

They would have gotten absolutely bulldozed by Jokic and co..understandable move
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,177

Post#874 » by Mr B » Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:18 pm

OrangeBlueSkies wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
OrangeBlueSkies wrote:

I'd rather have Josh Hart on my team rather than the 20th pick in the draft. There's no salt just funny how Dallas fans can't just **** on their FO when they need to.

When the Knicks had an incompetent front office, myself as well as many others were the first to call them out on their ****. Dallas insisted on McGee be included in a draft night Ayton deal ; really? Take Ayton and say thank you. Find a way to unload McGee elsewhere.

Is Christian Wood leaving?

It’s ok if you don’t follow the Mavs and have no clue what their needs are, just say it.

Ayton solves nothing for the Mavs and if anything put them in a bigger hole than they’re in now. I applaud the Mavs for not doing this deal without the Suns taking on McGee too.

The Mavs need defense and that’s not Ayton’s game. It’s also not Christian Wood’s game which is why he will also be gone. He’s probably the worst defender in the NBA and has one of the lowest BBIQ’s of anyone that has ever played for the Mavs. The guy had to be told his defensive assignment on literally every play.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#875 » by Mr B » Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:19 pm

One Last Shot wrote:Dereck Lively will be perfect with the Knicks. What a shame that Mavs also get a decent big who averaged 14.3 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 1.6 bpg, 67 TS% 2 years ago in Richaun Holmes and possibly draft the better version of DFS in Olivier Prosper at 24th Pick while shedding the salary of Bertans only because they tank one single game last season.

Don’t the Knicks already have 3 good Centers?
sunsbg
Lead Assistant

Post#876 » by sunsbg » Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:32 pm

Mr B wrote:Ayton solves nothing for the Mavs and if anything put them in a bigger hole than they’re in now. I applaud the Mavs for not doing this deal without the Suns taking on McGee too.

This is the same McGee you though will solve all your problems at C but turned out to be just another bad contract, right ?
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,735

Post#877 » by dygaction » Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:28 pm

sunsbg wrote:Better this Dereck Lively kid pans out after Mavs asked Luka and a few others to lose this game intentionally.

Lively and Ayton twin towers are coming :P
sunsbg
Lead Assistant

Post#878 » by sunsbg » Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:37 pm

dygaction wrote:
sunsbg wrote:Better this Dereck Lively kid pans out after Mavs asked Luka and a few others to lose this game intentionally.

Lively and Ayton twin towers are coming :P

Will become a Mavs fan probably if they can pull that garbage trade for Ayton. :P
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 10,326

Post#879 » by Stannis » Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:46 pm

While I think it's a crappy thing to do, and bad for the league overall. Especially when you have one of the best players

I see why Dallas did this.

Tanking works and helps the future. Unless the NBA has a soccer/EPL style format, this is the way it'll always be. No reason to thrive for mediocrity.
Free Palestine
Mr B
RealGM

Post#880 » by Mr B » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:35 pm

sunsbg wrote:
Mr B wrote:Ayton solves nothing for the Mavs and if anything put them in a bigger hole than they’re in now. I applaud the Mavs for not doing this deal without the Suns taking on McGee too.

This is the same McGee you though will solve all your problems at C but turned out to be just another bad contract, right ?

I never said McGee was the answer. Not sure where you got that from.

Return to The General Board