Dallas is a disgrace, first team ever to tank with a Playoff birth on the line

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 20,009

Re: Dallas is a disgrace, first team ever to tank with a Playoff birth on the line 

Post#821 » by RHODEY » Thu May 18, 2023 4:58 pm

ACMFFL wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
ACMFFL wrote:
2 years ago is going the time machine route? Even there they seemed to be on the rise, just to be back in the lottery once again the following year :dontknow:
And as I already said, I'm just returning fire.

You are in your feelings. :D Not my problem..take it up with Cuban.

Dude last Mavs postseason run has been more successfull than every Knicks season combined since the 2000. :dontknow:

Right...and now instead of making a post season run....you run from the postseason. :o
ACMFFL
Senior
And1: 569

Re: Dallas is a disgrace, first team ever to tank with a Playoff birth on the line 

Post#822 » by ACMFFL » Thu May 18, 2023 5:01 pm

RHODEY wrote:
ACMFFL wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
You are in your feelings. :D Not my problem..take it up with Cuban.

Dude last Mavs postseason run has been more successfull than every Knicks season combined since the 2000. :dontknow:

Right...and now instead of making a post season run....you run from the postseason. :o

Just like the Knicks did last season after their 2021 exploit, everything can happen in sports.
That's why I I'd wait more consistent and bigger achievements than a 2nd round exit to begin acting like a braggart ;)
"All dreams are crazy until they come true."
Apz
Head Coach
And1: 2,093

Post#823 » by Apz » Thu May 18, 2023 5:51 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:confused how this tread is still going. Even if Dallas would've won they would've missed the playoffs. They get to keep their 10th pick and possibly get Taylor Hendricks or Cason Wallace to shore up one of their defensive holes.

You guys madd at what, they folded a game that even if they would've won wouldn't have gotten them closer to the playoffs this year, and resulting them in missing out on a pick, meaning it's harder to make the playoffs next year?

Cry on a hard pillow

The Heat and Lakers, two play-in teams, are playing in the conference finals right now. Let's not act like making the play-in means that they have no shot to win a title.

Omg. Is that u ja?

That 2 playin teams doing good got zero to do with mavs, cause mavs wouldnt have made it even if they won them? How **** hard is that to get thru to some?

There were 2 options.
1. Mavs lose and have better odds at keeping their pick.
2. Mavs winning the game and have a lot worse odds at keeping their pick.
In neither case mavs get to the playin
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#824 » by RHODEY » Thu May 18, 2023 9:20 pm

ACMFFL wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
ACMFFL wrote:

Just like the Knicks did last season after their 2021 exploit, everything can happen in sports.
That's why I I'd wait more consistent and bigger achievements than a 2nd round exit to begin acting like a braggart ;)

I wasn't bragging about the Knicks making it to the 2nd round, I just mentioned that we are now perceived as relevant team on the rise... You took that as a "shot" ..which means to me that the Knicks must own real estate in your head.. :nod:
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,408

Post#825 » by Mr Puddles » Thu May 18, 2023 11:04 pm

Whether or not Dallas made the right decision can be debated, but can we please stop saying that Dallas "tanked".

They didn't tank, they threw the game. It was the most blatent score manipulation I've seen since Tim Donaghy. Anyone who played even remotely well got pulled immediately. The leading scorer of on the Dallas side played 8 minutes. Cuban was basically celebrating on the sideline when the game was decided in favor of Chicago.

Again, the Mavericks have something to show for it, they got the 10th pick. But let's not sugar coat it and tell it like it is, they intentionally threw the game.
Spoiler:
payton2kemp
Starter
And1: 4,267

Post#826 » by payton2kemp » Thu May 18, 2023 11:08 pm

Mr Puddles wrote:Whether or not Dallas made the right decision can be debated, but can we please stop saying that Dallas "tanked".

They didn't tank, they threw the game. It was the most blatent score manipulation I've seen since Tim Donaghy. Anyone who played even remotely well got pulled immediately. The leading scorer of on the Dallas side played 8 minutes. Cuban was basically celebrating on the sideline when the game was decided in favor of Chicago.

Again, the Mavericks have something to show for it, they got the 10th pick. But let's not sugar coat it and tell it like it is, they intentionally threw the game.

Hows that any different than the Blazers sitting a healthy Lillard, what difference does it make that he played 8 minutes and Dame played zero minutes while healthy?
payton2kemp
Starter

Post#827 » by payton2kemp » Thu May 18, 2023 11:09 pm

The league should just give all lottery teams equal odds, and all picks should be drawn for instead of the top 4.
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,983

Post#828 » by Dick Tate » Thu May 18, 2023 11:12 pm

therealozzykhan wrote:The league should just give all lottery teams equal odds, and all picks should be drawn for instead of the top 4.

I've been waiting for a team to blatantly tank a play-in game. This might do the trick.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,280

Post#829 » by UcanUwill » Thu May 18, 2023 11:14 pm

Mr Puddles wrote:Whether or not Dallas made the right decision can be debated, but can we please stop saying that Dallas "tanked".

I made this post for
Nykbacker wrote:
, but I will reedit, because I dont want to waste it.

I have said this before and everyone disagrees and I know because it is radical - reverse the odds, give best reg season team best lottery odds. Reward winning, punish losing. I know American sports believes in parity, but parity can still exist as it was, alter other rules, it always been more of the illusion than reality anyway, because few markets dominate the demand of players where they end up innitially barely seem to matter sadly.

But no, reward losing but ignore that fact, just complain that team start losing on purpose. This stop gun violence by giving everyone guns mentality. When Premier team gets worst record, they get relegated, which mean they lose millions upon millions of pounds, they could never recover, not get into top league for 20 years, or maybe ever, go bankrupt, stop existing... This is sports, if you can't win, you don't belong and thats your problem. But no, over here, oh I am a loser, I must be helped by every way possible, if I dont get lottery odds, where is point and light at the end of the tunnel? Well boo hoo, cry me a river says Blackburn Rovers fans, again, this is sports, either start winning or go home. Seriously, the rest of sports world looks at AMerican model in disbelief, it is literally unbelievable.

As long as American leagues will give reason for teams to lose, I will not blame teams for purposely losing. Do not hate the player, hate the game.
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,408

Post#830 » by Mr Puddles » Thu May 18, 2023 11:22 pm

therealozzykhan wrote:

Hows that any different than the Blazers sitting a healthy Lillard, what difference does it make that he played 8 minutes and Dame played zero minutes while healthy?

I don't like tanking, but there is a difference between playing your young players in favor of a veteran player with an injury history, while still telling the young guys to go out there and play hard, instead of a coach purposely trying to lose a game at all cost.

It would be like if Sharpe was balling for the Blazers and Billups decided to immediately pull him for the rest of the game because he's afraid his play might lead to a victory.
Kidd was literally benching guys in-game because they were playing too well, I've never seen anything like it.

Again, maybe it was the best strategy given their position, but it was score manipulation - plain and simple. The Mavericks threw the match.
Spoiler:
payton2kemp
Starter

Post#831 » by payton2kemp » Thu May 18, 2023 11:27 pm

Mr Puddles wrote:
therealozzykhan wrote:

I don't like tanking, but there is a difference between playing your young players in favor of a veteran player with an injury history, while still telling the young guys to go out there and play hard, instead of a coach purposely trying to lose a game at all cost.

It would be like if Sharpe was balling for the Blazers and Billups decided to immediately pull him for the rest of the game because he's afraid his play might lead to a victory.
Kidd was literally benching guys in-game because they were playing too well, I've never seen anything like it.

Again, maybe it was the best strategy given their position, but it was score manipulation - plain and simple. The Mavericks threw the match.

Ya the Mavs threw 1 game but the Blazers threw 10 games, at least the Mavs tried for a longer period of time over the last 10 games. Resting Dame is trying to lose on purpose, he wasn't injured. Tanking 1 game however they did it is better than tanking 10 games.
DwayneSchintzus
Rookie
And1: 1,521

Post#832 » by DwayneSchintzus » Thu May 18, 2023 11:47 pm

I feel like the owner sitting courtside and celebrating the Mavs missing a game winning shot took this to a different level.

I don’t remember seeing that from any other tanking team.
These are the opinions of one lifelong Spurs fan, nothing more
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,874

Post#833 » by cgf » Fri May 19, 2023 1:45 am

QingJames wrote:
cgf wrote:
QingJames wrote:You’re willingly ignoring the main difference: active vs passive participation in the attempt to lose. A player might be a passive participant in that he agrees - when asked by the team - to sit out the last couple of weeks of the season when he could probably play.

The expectation is that players and coaches actively involved in the game are trying their best to win. When this thing initially unfolded, I posed a challenge to anyone to show me another example of one side in an NBA game openly and actively trying to lose the game while the game is being played. Nobody took up the challenge, but you’re welcome to try.

That’s why this is unprecedented and why Silver whiffed massively on the punishment. The league’s treatment of Dallas is sending the message that it is permissible for players and coaches in a game to try and lose the game. i.e. match throwing. Professional sports in general is built on the assumption that there is a base level of honesty and integrity involved in the competitive aspect. The reason boxing collapsed as a professional sport is precisely because active participants in the matches were throwing fights on purpose. This destroyed the trust of fans in the genuine competitiveness and integrity in the sport. By throwing a match in-progress, the Mavericks are similarly undermining trust in the NBA.

This is not even to mention the billions of dollars the league has tied up with gambling now. I don’t gamble and I think sports betting partnerships are a blight on the league, but we are talking about millions of dollars being bet daily on games under the assumption that both teams’ coaches and players on the floor are trying to win, and not that one is making decisions in an attempt to lose. People get outraged over just the perception of points shaving or match fixing by referees, but when we have one team openly throwing a game in-progress, people aren’t supposed to care?

It’s ludicrous.

No I'm saying that players have actively participated in tanking as well as passively.

Okay, then provide some examples please.

Here's one you've already quoted:

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2014/03/23/mark-madsen-insists-his-three-point-shooting-in-final-game-of-06-season-wasnt-a-blatant-attempt-at-tanking/
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
ACMFFL
Senior

Post#834 » by ACMFFL » Fri May 19, 2023 6:28 am

RHODEY wrote:
ACMFFL wrote:
RHODEY wrote:Right...and now instead of making a post season run....you run from the postseason. :o

I wasn't bragging about the Knicks making it to the 2nd round, I just mentioned that we are now perceived as relevant team on the rise... You took that as a "shot" ..which means to me that the Knicks must own real estate in your head.. :nod:

I took it as a shot? Honestly I dont give a damn about the Knicks, I'm not a resentful guy like some of you seem to be, in fact I was cheering for Brunson against both Cavs and Heat.
And while I've been joking with you so far, I just stated some objective facts about your franchise history and tradition, not wishfull thinking. :P
Yesterday I decided to ignore you until once again you quoted me when I wasnt even talking to you. If anything you seem the one a bit obsessed ;).
And I'm just sick of the hypocrisy of some of you NYK fans.
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#835 » by RHODEY » Fri May 19, 2023 7:44 am

ACMFFL wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
ACMFFL wrote:

I took it as a shot? Honestly I dont give a damn about the Knicks, I'm not a resentful guy like some of you seem to be, in fact I was cheering for Brunson against both Cavs and Heat.
Yesterday I decided to ignore you until once again you quoted me when I wasnt even talking to you. If anything you seem the one a bit obsessed ;).
I'm just sick of the hypocrisy of some of you NYK fans.

:crazy:
ACMFFL
Senior

Post#836 » by ACMFFL » Fri May 19, 2023 7:46 am

RHODEY wrote:
ACMFFL wrote:
RHODEY wrote:I wasn't bragging about the Knicks making it to the 2nd round, I just mentioned that we are now perceived as relevant team on the rise... You took that as a "shot" ..which means to me that the Knicks must own real estate in your head.. :nod:

I'm just sick of the hypocrisy of some of you NYK fans.

:crazy:

Whatever helps you feel better dude lol
QingJames
Sixth Man
And1: 2,272

Post#837 » by QingJames » Fri May 19, 2023 8:16 am

cgf wrote:
QingJames wrote:
cgf wrote:
No I'm saying that players have actively participated in tanking as well as passively.

Okay, then provide some examples please.

Here's one you've already quoted:

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2014/03/23/mark-madsen-insists-his-three-point-shooting-in-final-game-of-06-season-wasnt-a-blatant-attempt-at-tanking/

I already addressed this one with you. Players try out things in the last few games of the season all the time. If all the Mavericks did was encourage some guys to try out shots that they don’t normally take, this wouldn’t be as big of an issue. You’re being dishonest conflating these two events when they aren’t the same, and there’s no evidence Madsen was trying to shoot his team out of the game on purpose.

We have confirmation from Kidd that he was making adjustments during the game (pulling guys who were playing too well, bad rotations on purpose) to try and lose. So no, that is not an example that remotely matches the level of match throwing that the Mavericks did.

Try again if you want, although I think it’s pretty clear that you’re being wilfully obtuse about the issue. I can pretty much guarantee that you aren’t going to find an example of blatant match-throwing like the Mavericks pulled.
eyeatoma wrote:You guys still dont' get it. Playoff accomplishment don't matter when you're up for your 1st MVP. When you're up for your 3rd in a row, damn straight it matters, as the only ones who done it are top 15 players of all time who have won rings.
OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,112

Post#838 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Mon May 22, 2023 1:45 am

cgf wrote:
ACMFFL wrote:
OrangeBlueSkies wrote:

Miami is a team that was one loss away in the play in from going home.

They are in the eastern conference finals and one of the final four remaining. Sure, Dallas might have NOT made the play in, but they were still mathematically in it. They played luka the entire first quarter of one of those games just to sit him the entire rest of the game? That’s embarrassing and disgraceful.

Enjoy the 10th pick Dallas, I think the bigger picture is the damage that did with Luka.

I still dont get why there are so many Knicks fans salty about the Mavs pick. I mean you have plenty of assets a competent FO and a promising core that lead the Knicks to finally reach the 2nd round for the second time in the past 23 long years, future seems to be very bright for the Knicks, why wasting negative energy on the little Mavs?
Btw Dallas actually tried to win and make the postseason until the game against the Kings, they just started tanking in their last two games when their chances to reach the play-in were slim to none.
What were they supposed to do? Keep trying to win their last two games just to gift the #12 pick to the Knicks in the end? We all agree Kidd was an idiot and he should have kept his freaking mouth shut, I just cant see the big deal that many want to see in this story though.

I think it's less about the specific pick and more just a continuation of the ongoing s*** talk between the more combative sections of our two fanbases since the KP trade. When that went down we had some Mavs fans come to our board to gloat, which left a bad taste at a time we were already very angry...and some of our fans probably went to their board to call KP a diva.

So when Randle had his MIP season some of us went back to bump old threads about the KP trade, gloating that we were able to cash in on KP before he broke down AND replace him with a better 4...which (I assume) left a bad taste with Mavs fans and led to some of them gloating when Atlanta bounced us.

Then came the Brunson drama that parts of both fanbases talked a fair bit of s*** about...some mavs fans criticized Brunson for not wanting to play for a winning team & attacked our organization for the blatant tampering we did; to which some NYK fans fired back that the Mavs were an incompetent organization that could've signed JB for 54M instead of losing him for nothing.

Before the season not many of us put much thought into the pick, so I don't think it's an attachment to the 11th overall pick we could've gotten. Which is why I'm guessing it's just a continuation of our ongoing feud, with both sides reaching for any potential weapon to hurl at the other

...similar to the couple of mavs fans springing up in Randle threads to gloat about his ankle injury limiting him this postseason.

Salty is the furthest thing I'd say I am. Dallas is just spirling out of control. They traded whatever they had left for an impending free agent Kyrie. They have zero defense and zero size. The reason why some Knick fan and many other casual NBA fans have an issue with what Dallas did is because they were STILL in it. And like my original comment said which you replied to, the Miami Heat were 12 minutes away from not even making the playoffs. They were a play in team on the ropes, and they are two wins away from the NBA finals. I think that's the point here. Sure, Dallas is a flawed roster. But they didn't even show up to the dance.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,874

Post#839 » by cgf » Mon May 22, 2023 1:45 am

OrangeBlueSkies wrote:
cgf wrote:
ACMFFL wrote:
I still dont get why there are so many Knicks fans salty about the Mavs pick. I mean you have plenty of assets a competent FO and a promising core that lead the Knicks to finally reach the 2nd round for the second time in the past 23 long years, future seems to be very bright for the Knicks, why wasting negative energy on the little Mavs?
Btw Dallas actually tried to win and make the postseason until the game against the Kings, they just started tanking in their last two games when their chances to reach the play-in were slim to none.
What were they supposed to do? Keep trying to win their last two games just to gift the #12 pick to the Knicks in the end? We all agree Kidd was an idiot and he should have kept his freaking mouth shut, I just cant see the big deal that many want to see in this story though.

I think it's less about the specific pick and more just a continuation of the ongoing s*** talk between the more combative sections of our two fanbases since the KP trade. When that went down we had some Mavs fans come to our board to gloat, which left a bad taste at a time we were already very angry...and some of our fans probably went to their board to call KP a diva.

So when Randle had his MIP season some of us went back to bump old threads about the KP trade, gloating that we were able to cash in on KP before he broke down AND replace him with a better 4...which (I assume) left a bad taste with Mavs fans and led to some of them gloating when Atlanta bounced us.

Then came the Brunson drama that parts of both fanbases talked a fair bit of s*** about...some mavs fans criticized Brunson for not wanting to play for a winning team & attacked our organization for the blatant tampering we did; to which some NYK fans fired back that the Mavs were an incompetent organization that could've signed JB for 54M instead of losing him for nothing.

Before the season not many of us put much thought into the pick, so I don't think it's an attachment to the 11th overall pick we could've gotten. Which is why I'm guessing it's just a continuation of our ongoing feud, with both sides reaching for any potential weapon to hurl at the other

...similar to the couple of mavs fans springing up in Randle threads to gloat about his ankle injury limiting him this postseason.

Salty is the furthest thing I'd say I am. Dallas is just spirling out of control. They traded whatever they had left for an impending free agent Kyrie. They have zero defense and zero size. The reason why some Knick fan and many other casual NBA fans have an issue with what Dallas did is because they were STILL in it. And like my original comment said which you replied to, the Miami Heat were 12 minutes away from not even making the playoffs. They were a play in team on the ropes, and they are two wins away from the NBA finals. I think that's the point here. Sure, Dallas is a flawed roster. But they didn't even show up to the dance.

They weren't though. Even if they had won they still wouldn't have got the play in spot.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,112

Post#840 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Mon May 22, 2023 1:46 am

Pointgod wrote:
OrangeBlueSkies wrote:
Pointgod wrote:Turns out all the takes about Dallas tanking the last two games turned out to be wrong. Who would have thought? Except every single person with a functioning brain.

Miami is a team that was one loss away in the play in from going home.

They are in the eastern conference finals and one of the final four remaining. Sure, Dallas might have NOT made the play in, but they were still mathematically in it. They played luka the entire first quarter of one of those games just to sit him the entire rest of the game? That’s embarrassing and disgraceful.

Enjoy the 10th pick Dallas, I think the bigger picture is the damage that did with Luka.

Once OKC beat Utah Dallas was out of the playin because OKC was not losing against Memphis resting every single player and their mama. It was always dumb to criticize the Mavs for protecting their pick. Now they have another asset to move to get Luka some help.

Yeah, go get Luka some help Cuban. Now you have AN asset.

Return to The General Board