Congratulations Kobe - now #3 for number of 40 point games!!

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Jordan23Forever
General Manager
And1: 54

Post#61 » by Jordan23Forever » Sat Feb 2, 2008 10:53 pm

Bilge wrote:Things even out considerably. Just look at the league average ppg during the Jordan years.
first retirement

No, they don't "even out considerably" -- not at all. What "arguments" like this about league average ppg fail to take into account is that Jordan was not using the same number of possessions as Kobe to score his 30-35 points, nor was he using the same percentage of the team's possessions that Kobe does. Furthermore, Jordan's Bulls were always near the bottom of the league in terms of pace (i.e., number of possessions); they were an efficient offensive team because their primary star was very efficient and they ran an efficient offensive system.

Maybe braindead 15 year olds will fall for your little trick, but upon examination it's a very tenuous argument. If you want to scale individual numbers based on league average team ppg, then you also have to scale the amount of team possessions used based on percentage and then scale the ppg accordingly. Let me help you with some of that math:

Kobe in 2006 and 2007 used an average of 32.5% of league average team possessions.

In 1990 and 1991, Jordan used an average of 27.0% of league average team possessions. So Kobe used 5.5% more possessions (over 20% more possessions than Jordan on average) as compared to the team league average than Jordan during the years in question.

Now, what you'd have us believe is that it's simply a matter of saying, "hey, Kobe averaged 33.5 ppg when the league average was 97.9 ppg (as it was for '06/'07), so imagine what he'd average if the league average were 106.6 ppg! (as it was for '90/'91)." What you'd first need to do if you wanted to employ this strategy in an intellectually honest way (which I realize doesn't concern you, but I'll proceed anyway) is to scale Jordan's numbers for usage of 32.5% of average team possessions back then, for comparison's sake. Here are Jordan's actual 1990 and 1991 ppg numbers (using 27% of possessions) followed by his ppg numbers scaled to 32.5% of possession usage:

1990: 33.6 ppg/40.4 ppg
1991: 31.5 ppg/37.9 ppg

Similarly, here are what Kobe's numbers from '06 and '07 look like when scaled to 27.0% of league average possessions:

2006: 35.4 ppg/29.4 ppg
2007: 31.6 ppg/26.3 ppg

So there you have it. If you're going to scale for league average ppg, you also have to scale for number of possessions used compared to the league average, which you never do (unsurprisingly). There were more possessions back then (hence more points), but Jordan himself wasn't using those possessions to get his points.

G35 wrote:Since the 04-05 season he has scored 40+ points 56 times in the regular season. Over that time he has played in 267 games. So thats 40+ every 4.7 games.

That's fair enough, but then instead of comparing that number to Jordan's career mark, you have to compare it to '87-'89 Jordan (i.e., when he didn't have another big time scorer yet either). Jordan averaged one game of 40+ points for every 3.5 games in the three regular seasons from '87-'89 without a legit secondary scorer.

It's dishonest to compare Kobe playing by himself to Jordan's career, which includes many years when he had a great team and legit secondary scorer in Pippen. Compare apples to apples as far as possible.

G35 wrote:Kobe's line

19-28 67% FG, 4-8 3pt 50%, 4-4 FT's, 46 points

I think that pretty much sums up nicely the THEORY that players have to have 15-20 FTs/FTA's to score in the 40's.

Next.......

Umm, Kobe has scored 40+ with fewer than 10 FTA in the past 3 seasons (where he has 55 games of 40+) a grand total of 6 times. That is, in just 10.9% of the games that Kobe has scored 40+ in from '05-'07 has he attempted fewer than 10 FTA.

Jordan from '90-'92 (same ages as Kobe's '05-'07; Jordan scored 40+ pts 44 times during this stretch) had 19 games of 40+ with fewer than 10 FTA. That is, in 43.2% of his 40+ point games during the same ages, Jordan scored 40+ without attempting 10 FTA. For those who aren't following, this means that Jordan was able to hit 40+ points significantly more without the benefit of high FTA totals. He made buckets. Which leads us to our next point...

Of the 55 games of 40+ from '05-'07, Kobe made more than 15 FGA in 28 of those games (50.9% of games).

Of the 44 games of 40+ for Jordan during the same ages, he made >15 FG's in 38 of those games (86.4% of games). Again, Jordan made buckets.

Of the 55 games of 40+ that he's scored between '05-'07, Kobe attempted 15 FTA or more 25 times (i.e., in 45.5% of games), while in the 44 games of 40+ that Jordan scored during the same ages, he attempted 15+ FTA just 9 times (i.e., in just 20.5% of games)

So it's not a "theory" that Kobe has significantly benefitted from trips to the charity stripe in his 40+ point games, though JB's point was perhaps a bit overstated. Other players (like Lebron/Wade) have benefitted even more than Kobe, though their styles of play are much more aggressive than Kobe, making comparisons difficult (which is one reason I selected Jordan/Kobe's seasons at the same ages for the above comparison).

G35 wrote:Jordans career FTA avg 8.2

Kobe's career FTA avg 7.7

Jordans career high 11.9 FTA's was nearly Shaq like compared to Kobe who has never passed the 11 FTA barrier for a season.

So even in this era that is geared to the offensive player Kobe still doesn't get the Baby Jesus treatment Jordan did.

Nice try, slick. :lol:

Jordan's career high in FTA/gm (11.9) came in 1987, when he averaged 37.1 ppg and attempted 27.8 shots per game. He was also obscenely aggressive going to the rim in comparison with '05-'07 Kobe. Jordan averaged >10 FTA/gm just twice in his career despite being a visibly more aggressive offensive player than a guy like Kobe for at least 7 seasons.

I also like how for everything else, Kobe fans want to look at Kobe since Shaq left, yet here you try to look at Kobe's career FTA average. :lol: Talk about disingenuous...

From '05-'07, since Shaq left, Kobe has averaged 10.1 FTA/gm. He was age 26-28 during these years. From age 26-28, Jordan averaged 8.1 FTA/gm despite being visibly more aggressive than Kobe.

Who's "Baby Jesus" now? And <Kobe fan> OMG OMG the scores were so high back then! More chances to draw fouls! </Kobe fan> Yet, oddly, Jordan averaged 2 fewer FTA/gm than Kobe during the same age in a faster paced league despite being visibly more aggressive. Makes you wonder...or at least it should.

G35 wrote:And you still don't see how even with a rule change in place that players now still don't get the same amount of calls as Jordan did....

There are about half a dozen players who have averaged more FTA than prime Jordan ('90-'93) over the last few seasons. So you're right, they don't get the same amount of calls -- they get more.

tkb wrote:50% isn't close to unanimous at all. If there were 3 candidates 50% of votes would actually be closer to a dead tie at 33% than an unanimous vote. I know you said it's "as close as your going to get", but that's a moot point, because it isn't close to unanimous at all.

There are 4 legit GOAT candidates: Jordan, Wilt, Magic, and Kareem (to hear Laker fans tell it, at least; I feel Magic is a veeeery slight step below this group, but whatever). Jordan gets way more than 50% of votes in most all-time polls -- it's more like 70-85%, depending. Which goes to JB's point.

I'll address the rest of the haters' "arguments" later tonight.

biscuitsNgrady
Junior
And1: 10

Post#62 » by biscuitsNgrady » Sat Feb 2, 2008 11:01 pm

^yowch
tkb
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 198

Post#63 » by tkb » Sat Feb 2, 2008 11:03 pm

I never said where I rank MJ tho. I only stated that 50% of the votes (if there are 3 candidates) is closer to a dead tie than an unanimous vote, and that's not even debatable.

I think there are 3 legit GOAT candidates in Jordan, KAJ and Wilt. How you rank them is more personal preference than anything else IMO. You can make great cases for each of the 3, and my opinion of how I rank the 3 changes from time to time. Earlier this season I thought KAJ was the GOAT, now I'm in a period I rank Jordan nr 1.

Anyway you cut it they all have legit cases for being ranked nr 1, and just being in that 3-some is quite the accomplishment.
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,975

Post#64 » by INKtastic » Sat Feb 2, 2008 11:11 pm

shouldn't 11 rings in 13 seasons at least have Russell in that short list?
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
tkb
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by tkb » Sat Feb 2, 2008 11:22 pm

He's in the next group from 4-6 that includes him, Magic and Bird IMO.
Jordan23Forever
General Manager

Post#66 » by Jordan23Forever » Sat Feb 2, 2008 11:24 pm

tkb wrote:I never said where I rank MJ tho. I only stated that 50% of the votes (if there are 3 candidates) is closer to a dead tie than an unanimous vote, and that's not even debatable.

I never presumed to know where you rank Jordan. My point was that in most every poll I've ever seen for GOAT, Jordan receives significantly more than 50% of the votes, usually between 70-85%. Say 75% on average. When you have 3-4 guys vying for one position and one guy gets 75% of the votes, that's about as close as you're going to get to a consensus. In that sense I agree with JordansBulls.

I think there are 3 legit GOAT candidates in Jordan, KAJ and Wilt. How you rank them is more personal preference than anything else IMO. You can make great cases for each of the 3, and my opinion of how I rank the 3 changes from time to time. Earlier this season I thought KAJ was the GOAT, now I'm in a period I rank Jordan nr 1.

I have no problem with that whatsoever.

lj4mvp wrote:shouldn't 11 rings in 13 seasons at least have Russell in that short list?

Possibly. It only strengthens my point, however.
tkb
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by tkb » Sat Feb 2, 2008 11:36 pm

There's a difference between consent and unanimous consent though, which is my point.
Bgil
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#68 » by Bgil » Sun Feb 3, 2008 12:00 am

No, they don't "even out considerably" -- not at all. What "arguments" like this about league average ppg fail to take into account is that Jordan was not using the same number of possessions as Kobe to score his 30-35 points, nor was he using the same percentage of the team's possessions that Kobe does. Furthermore, Jordan's Bulls were always near the bottom of the league in terms of pace (i.e., number of possessions); they were an efficient offensive team because their primary star was very efficient and they ran an efficient offensive system.

No, you're just being misleading (intentionally). THE ENTIRE LEAGUE SCORED MORE EFFICIENTLY than it does now. Therefore you can't take Jordan's efficiency and apply it to today.

Now, what you'd have us believe is that it's simply a matter of saying, "hey, Kobe averaged 33.5 ppg when the league average was 97.9 ppg (as it was for '06/'07), so imagine what he'd average if the league average were 106.6 ppg! (as it was for '90/'91)." What you'd first need to do if you wanted to employ this strategy in an intellectually honest way (which I realize doesn't concern you, but I'll proceed anyway) is to scale Jordan's numbers for usage of 32.5% of average team possessions back then, for comparison's sake.

That's assbackwards. So then why don't we just compare Derek Fisher to Kobe if Fish had 32.5% usage? Or Lamar Odom? Or Tony Parker?Obviously, that's ridiculous because it doesn't scale linearly in the real-world. NEVER can one assume that one player (Jordan) will continue to score at the same rate if we give him more shots. Not to mention the MASSIVE difference in era's and rules (zone anyone?) from 91 to 2007.
Everyone here knows that but you're somehow trying to push that crap as a legitimate comparison.

Plain and simple... it's easier to score 40 points when teams give up an average of 110 on 48%+ than it is when they give up less than 100 points on much lower shooting.

That's fair enough, but then instead of comparing that number to Jordan's career mark, you have to compare it to '87-'89 Jordan (i.e., when he didn't have another big time scorer yet either). Jordan averaged one game of 40+ points for every 3.5 games in the three regular seasons from '87-'89 without a legit secondary scorer.

If you had any Intellectual honesty in you at all you'd see that it wasn't even close to the same league. There were whole teams that average 54% from the field. Seeing a team throw up a 135 point game on any given night wasn't a surprise at all. Hell even seeing multiple teams do it wasn't a surpise.
Check this box score from 1987:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/box ... 00DEN.html
152 to 145 in 4 quarters. They scored 152 points by shooting only 2 three-pointers.
Even the Jordan rules Pistons were involved in 154-142 games WITH ONLY 8 THREE POINTERS ATTEMPTED and 60% shooting between the two teams:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/box ... 20DET.html

It just wasn't the same league. Just like it wasn't the same league when big men could pull down 30+ rebounds in a night or set records by pulling down 50.

they were an efficient offensive team because their primary star was very efficient and they ran an efficient offensive system.

Wanna take a stab at why the Lakers are one of the most efficient teams in the league?
"I'm sure they'll jump off the bandwagon. Then when we do get back on top, they're going to want to jump back on, and we're going to tell them there's no more room." - Kobe in March of 2005
Bgil
Assistant Coach

Post#69 » by Bgil » Sun Feb 3, 2008 12:02 am

tkb wrote:I never said where I rank MJ tho. I only stated that 50% of the votes (if there are 3 candidates) is closer to a dead tie than an unanimous vote, and that's not even debatable.

Anyway you cut it they all have legit cases for being ranked nr 1, and just being in that 3-some is quite the accomplishment.

I think Magic > Kareem. Bird > Jordan at least while Bird was healthy.
"I'm sure they'll jump off the bandwagon. Then when we do get back on top, they're going to want to jump back on, and we're going to tell them there's no more room." - Kobe in March of 2005
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#70 » by G35 » Sun Feb 3, 2008 12:13 am

Jordan23Forever wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
Kobe in 2006 and 2007 used an average of 32.5% of league average team possessions.

In 1990 and 1991, Jordan used an average of 27.0% of league average team possessions. So Kobe used 5.5% more possessions (over 20% more possessions than Jordan on average) as compared to the team league average than Jordan during the years in question.

Doesn't even matter because you aren't being intellectually honest from the beginning. First Jordans useage went down because the rest of his team stepped up and two defense back then was more about how many steals you got and not about rotating defensively and double teaming. Teams gave up more points per possession then than now.

Really you mean to tell me Jordan was able to go for 40 points more often without a legit secondary scorer. Wow so thats the secret. Shaq for 7 years compared to Scottie for 10 years even you can tell there is a large gap in scoring ability.

Scottie Pippen was an 18-20 ppg scorer alongside Jordan

Shaq was a 26-28 ppg scorer alongside Kobe

What isn't getting through here.

Of the 55 games of 40+ from '05-'07, Kobe made more than 15 FGA in 28 of those games (50.9% of games).

Of the 44 games of 40+ for Jordan during the same ages, he made >15 FG's in 38 of those games (86.4% of games). Again, Jordan made buckets.

Of the 55 games of 40+ that he's scored between '05-'07, Kobe attempted 15 FTA or more 25 times (i.e., in 45.5% of games), while in the 44 games of 40+ that Jordan scored during the same ages, he attempted 15+ FTA just 9 times (i.e., in just 20.5% of games)

Another problem with comparing eras; Kobe isn't playing in 1991. It's 16 years later if you didn't know take a look outside. Offense and defense are played a lot differently that it is now.

Reason why they say you need more FTA's to get to the 40 point mark is pace. There are fewer possessions because teams slow down the game so there are fewer opportunities to score. FT's allow you to score with the clock stopped. Teams are losing up 10 possessions a game compared to the 80's and 90's. Please don't tell me I have to spell it out any further. I mean you being so smart and all.

Jordan's career high in FTA/gm (11.9) came in 1987, when he averaged 37.1 ppg and attempted 27.8 shots per game. He was also obscenely aggressive going to the rim in comparison with '05-'07 Kobe. Jordan averaged >10 FTA/gm just twice in his career despite being a visibly more aggressive offensive player than a guy like Kobe for at least 7 seasons.

Ummm I know this may not be obvious to everyone but it is to me. At what point in Jordans career was Jordan a visibly more aggressive offensive player than Kobe? During his FIRST seven years. What was Kobe doing during his first 8 years? Playing with Shaq and sharing opportunities.

That's the problem with comparing Kobe and MJ and those who just want to use raw numbers. They were in two completely different situations. Kobe came to a team that had 3 All Stars and had to share the ball. MJ went to the Bulls and was given the keys to the offense.

Compare apples to apples when you do something like this. Jordan stopped being so aggressive right about when he hit 28 years old. His FTA's took a serious dip after the 91 season as did all his shooting percentages. At 28 years old. Right in his prime. Where did all his aggressiveness go at 28 years old. And if Jordan was visibly more aggressive is because he depends on getting to the basket more than Kobe. You can look at it that Kobe has a more dependable J than Jordan did. And MJ's FG% still went down even being "visibly more aggressive" he never shot over 50% after 1991 in his career.

There are about half a dozen players who have averaged more FTA than prime Jordan ('90-'93) over the last few seasons. So you're right, they don't get the same amount of calls -- they get more.

This quote is even more funny. Of those half dozen players that avg'd more FT's than "prime Jordan" how many were perimeter players? And I don't know about 6 players who got more FT's than Jordan.

I can name 4 of them right off the top of my head, Barkley, Malone, DRob and Shaq. Wow 2 PF's and C's that make their living in the paint. Apples to apples buddy. Jordan was the only SG to even come close to getting that kind of suck up from the ref's.........
I'm so tired of the typical......
technologic
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#71 » by technologic » Sun Feb 3, 2008 1:12 am

Why are Jordan fans so insecure and make it seem like Jordan was quintuple-teamed by the greatest defenses in the history of mankind and scored 40?

Congrats to Kobe
:clap:
EHL
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Post#72 » by EHL » Sun Feb 3, 2008 2:48 am

What's always funny about Jordan23Forever is the arbitrary nature of his statistical breakdowns. For example, using the criterion of 15+ FTA per game is completely and utterly spurious, it has no useful value but to inflate his argument versus simply using their FT averages of MJ and Kobe during their 40+ games. Much more indicative than plucking 15 FTA out of nowhere.

Also, I'm curious as to where you found possession statistics Jordan23Forever. At least link your junk statistical analysis.
Jordan23Forever
General Manager

Post#73 » by Jordan23Forever » Sun Feb 3, 2008 3:01 am

EHL wrote:
Also, I'm curious as to where you found possession statistics Jordan23Forever. At least link your junk statistical analysis.

I calculated them myself, albeit crudely. It's an approximation that should be valid within reason; moreover, whatever errors inhere in this formula should hold in both scenarios (then vs. now). Here's how I estimate possessions:

FGA + (FTA/2)

Same for players and teams. I'll respond more thoroughly later.
Bgil
Assistant Coach

Post#74 » by Bgil » Sun Feb 3, 2008 3:48 am

EHL wrote:What's always funny about Jordan23Forever is the arbitrary nature of his statistical breakdowns. For example, using the criterion of 15+ FTA per game is completely and utterly spurious, it has no useful value but to inflate his argument versus simply using their FT averages of MJ and Kobe during their 40+ games. Much more indicative than plucking 15 FTA out of nowhere.

Link from J23F? Never. He keeps Kobe and MJ stats in a golden notebook on his desk.

Seriously, he cherry picks the hell out of his "facts". he still contends that Jordan was a better ball-handler than Pippen even though Jordan clearly admitted he wasn't in the interview before Game 1 of the LAL-CHI finals. Supposedly he has that tape but he's trying to suppress it like it's the Zupruder film.
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24

Post#75 » by kno » Sun Feb 3, 2008 3:55 am

Oh, the party has begun now!

Im surprised JordansBulls and Jordan23Forever didnt carpool over here this time around; J23F was a little late.

There mustve been a "Kobe discovers new planet" thread somewhere he had to downplay with Jordan statistics.

Oh well, late is better than nothing!

Feel free to get a glass of lemonade...
kooldude
Lead Assistant
And1: 78

Post#76 » by kooldude » Sun Feb 3, 2008 4:03 am

Trixx wrote:Funny how Kobe cannot get some props within his own congratulations thread.

Who would've guessed? Jordansbulls is in the middle of it.

Its sad some take putting Kobe behind Jordan is a slap to the face.

WHo cares! Bryant is now 3rd on the list. Congrats to him.

I actually surprised it took 2 pages before a Jordan fan started to downplay this milestone. It's like they lost a step.
Warspite wrote:I still would take Mitch (Richmond) over just about any SG playing today. His peak is better than 2011 Kobe and with 90s rules hes better than Wade.

Jordan23Forever wrote:People are delusional.
bl2k
Veteran
And1: 13

Post#77 » by bl2k » Sun Feb 3, 2008 4:09 am

U-Borat wrote:JordansBulls and J23F should be banned from threads with Kobe in the thread title.
They are derailed everytime lol.

Congrats to kobester.

co-sign, they make their living off of bashing Kobe and kissing Jordans behind, he's retired, worry about the status of the current Bulls team because it's not looking good for them. And lol@them being mad because Gasol went to the Lakers instead
richboy wrote:

I could never say that about KG. Even though he is a great player. In some way even in his prime he is Joakim Noah with a jump shot and a little better post game. Outside of that they have the exact same skill set.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,326

Post#78 » by JordansBulls » Sun Feb 3, 2008 5:25 am

Trixx wrote:Oh, the party has begun now!

Im surprised JordansBulls and Jordan23Forever didnt carpool over here this time around; J23F was a little late.

There mustve been a "Kobe discovers new planet" thread somewhere he had to downplay with Jordan statistics.

Oh well, late is better than nothing!

Feel free to get a glass of lemonade...

Actually your boy Bgil and G35 said something untrue and I entered. :wink:
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
JusBus32
Junior
And1: 60

Post#79 » by JusBus32 » Sun Feb 3, 2008 5:47 am

Why are Jordan fans so insecure?

Everytime Kobe does something or breaks a record or moves up in ranking in a stat, Jordan's stats have to come in.
99 Problems
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#80 » by 99 Problems » Sun Feb 3, 2008 6:20 am

exkonvict wrote:lol@Raptors Defense.

If we had any defense to laugh at I would too...

And Kobe = Jordan...

Return to The General Board