What should the Nuggets do with Jamal Murray?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,703

Re: What should the Nuggets do with Jamal Murray? 

Post#61 » by MavsDirk41 » Tue May 21, 2024 1:02 am

Wallace_Wallace wrote:
magee wrote:MPJ and picks and whatever else it will take to get Donovan Mitchell and Dean Wade from Cleveland.

Brandon Ingram/MPJ swap is more practical. He’s an expiring contract and his play style doesn’t match Zion, who needs shooter around him. As inconsistent as MPJ is, still 40+% from deep every year; that will open up space for Zion Williamson. Brandon Ingram provides another solid handler who can create for himself and his teammates besides Jokic and Murray. Denver’s winning culture should attract BI to extend.

MPJ/Watson/future 1st for BI/Alvarado could be something to consider for both sides. While I’m talking about the Pelicans, Denver should also look at Valenciunas as free agent. He’ll be a sixth man off the bench to combat some of the physical play in the postseason.

Spoiler:
Donovan Mitchell/Jamal Murray (with a boat of assets) swap makes more sense from a positional standpoint, having both of them on the floor would be disastrous on defense.

Ingram cant stay healthy. I avoid him if im Denver. I dont think they trade Porter i think the starting 5 is the same next year. I expect them to upgrade their bench. Valenciunas is probably too expensive for them to obtain. Mo Wagner would be great but im sure Orlando wants to bring him back and he would be out of Denver’s price range too probably. Theis would be an upgrade to Jordan. I expect to focus on their bench tho.
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,254

Post#62 » by Wallace_Wallace » Tue May 21, 2024 2:41 am

MavsDirk41 wrote:
Wallace_Wallace wrote:
magee wrote:MPJ and picks and whatever else it will take to get Donovan Mitchell and Dean Wade from Cleveland.

Brandon Ingram/MPJ swap is more practical. He’s an expiring contract and his play style doesn’t match Zion, who needs shooter around him. As inconsistent as MPJ is, still 40+% from deep every year; that will open up space for Zion Williamson. Brandon Ingram provides another solid handler who can create for himself and his teammates besides Jokic and Murray. Denver’s winning culture should attract BI to extend.

MPJ/Watson/future 1st for BI/Alvarado could be something to consider for both sides. While I’m talking about the Pelicans, Denver should also look at Valenciunas as free agent. He’ll be a sixth man off the bench to combat some of the physical play in the postseason.

Spoiler:
Donovan Mitchell/Jamal Murray (with a boat of assets) swap makes more sense from a positional standpoint, having both of them on the floor would be disastrous on defense.

Ingram cant stay healthy. I avoid him if im Denver. I dont think they trade Porter i think the starting 5 is the same next year. I expect them to upgrade their bench. Valenciunas is probably too expensive for them to obtain. Mo Wagner would be great but im sure Orlando wants to bring him back and he would be out of Denver’s price range too probably. Theis would be an upgrade to Jordan. I expect to focus on their bench tho.

That is always a gamble you have to make as a franchise, just like any other trade. AD was traded for the whole farm and LA knew about his injuries, but that’s the price and chance the Lakers took (paid off with a chip).

Same with BI, you have to take some chances just like the Nuggets drafting MPJ knowing he has back issues. Denver should start making gambles if the talent/skill set is there, regardless of injury history/other concerns.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,309

Post#63 » by Impuniti » Tue May 21, 2024 2:45 am

Tell him to eat a salad. You can't always control how you get injured, but there's zero excuses not to be in top shape.
MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,703

Post#64 » by MavsDirk41 » Tue May 21, 2024 3:06 am

Wallace_Wallace wrote:
MavsDirk41 wrote:
Wallace_Wallace wrote:

Spoiler:

That is always a gamble you have to make as a franchise, just like any other trade. AD was traded for the whole farm and LA knew about his injuries, but that’s the price and chance the Lakers took (paid off with a chip).

Same with BI, you have to take some chances just like the Nuggets drafting MPJ knowing he has back issues. Denver should start making gambles if the talent/skill set is there, regardless of injury history/other concerns.

Im not saying your wrong about taking chances im just not sure if Denver is ready to give up on Porter yet. Maybe they upgrade the starting SG spot over moving on from Porter. They have to improve their bench though. They get nothing outside of Braun and they dont get much from him.
Hussien Fatal
Veteran
And1: 1,405

Post#65 » by Hussien Fatal » Tue May 21, 2024 3:10 am

They should trade him for Donovan Mitchell
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,254

Post#66 » by Wallace_Wallace » Tue May 21, 2024 3:18 am

MavsDirk41 wrote:
Wallace_Wallace wrote:
MavsDirk41 wrote:

Im not saying your wrong about taking chances im just not sure if Denver is ready to give up on Porter yet. Maybe they upgrade the starting SG spot over moving on from Porter. They have to improve their bench though. They get nothing outside of Braun and they dont get much from him.

All good bro, just a healthy discussion. What I mean is that sometime it takes some luck and the guts to pull some controversial moves in order to form a contending tea
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,631

Post#67 » by Alatan » Tue May 21, 2024 4:44 am

KodiakBear wrote:Murray just dropped 35 last night. Yes, there is more to the game than just putting up points, but there aren't many guys that can do what he does in the playoffs. This playoff he wasn't as good as last year obviously, but it is way way way too early to abandon a 27 year old who has meant so much to the franchise.

He did have 35 and also had 2 crucial, game losing turnovers at half court bringing the ball up.
He was also 3-18 the game before.

I get it, people like seeing Murray make tough (dumb) shots but you dont focus on all the stupid **** he does.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,599

Post#68 » by durden_tyler » Tue May 21, 2024 5:03 am

It's not like they got blown out in a Game 7... Changes are necessary, yes, but you don't mess up chemistry for the sake of making a change for a team that has the best player in the world. They'll be fine, they'll still be title contenders next year and another 2-3 years after that assuming Jokic stays healthy and/or plays at his current level.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
SweaterBae
Sixth Man
And1: 2,586

Post#69 » by SweaterBae » Tue May 21, 2024 5:09 am

They will extend him and have to. They will probably just run it back, but as others have said, MPJ is the serious problem. He's an absolute liability if his shot isn't falling. He's not just a 1 way player, he's a 1 way player that 1 way.
TheNG
Rookie
And1: 1,445

Post#70 » by TheNG » Tue May 21, 2024 5:10 am

Trade Murray and MPJ for Mitchell and depth.
I would also add Vezenkov.
If you have more "Posts" than "And1", don't feel bad if I didn't reply to you - I just don't like to speak with people who argue a lot :beer:
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,160

Post#71 » by iggymcfrack » Tue May 21, 2024 6:38 am

Honestly, the one thing the Nuggets should really do is load manage Murray a little bit next year and see if they can get him healthier for the playoffs. Homecourt in a Game 7 is nowhere near as important as a healthy Murray. When he's at 100%, he's a Kobe level sidekick. When he's not, it's very difficult if not impossible for the Nuggets to go far.
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,160

Post#72 » by iggymcfrack » Tue May 21, 2024 6:45 am

Alatan wrote:
KodiakBear wrote:Murray just dropped 35 last night. Yes, there is more to the game than just putting up points, but there aren't many guys that can do what he does in the playoffs. This playoff he wasn't as good as last year obviously, but it is way way way too early to abandon a 27 year old who has meant so much to the franchise.

He did have 35 and also had 2 crucial, game losing turnovers at half court bringing the ball up.
He was also 3-18 the game before.

I get it, people like seeing Murray make tough (dumb) shots but you dont focus on all the stupid **** he does.

Even after having an awful playoffs this year due to injury, he still has a BPM of 3.58 in the playoffs for his career which is 63rd all-time. That's better than Paul George, Vince Carter, George Gervin, Wes Unseld, Moses Malone, Devin Booker, Steve Nash, Paul Pierce, and Patrick Ewing among others. You're not going to find anyone that can replace that, especially on a team that's over the second apron and has no picks. MPJ would be the guy you'd want to move on from if you could, but there's no possible way they have the assets to do it.
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,602

Post#73 » by CodeBreaker » Tue May 21, 2024 7:07 am

Hang him on the rafters
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,599

Post#74 » by durden_tyler » Tue May 21, 2024 7:30 am

TheNG wrote:Trade Murray and MPJ for Mitchell and depth.

Why would they add a worse player (and a worse chucker) in Mitchell?
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
TheNG
Rookie
And1: 1,445

Post#75 » by TheNG » Tue May 21, 2024 3:42 pm

durden_tyler wrote:
TheNG wrote:Trade Murray and MPJ for Mitchell and depth.

Why would they add a worse player (and a worse chucker) in Mitchell?

How can you be so sure Mitchell is worse?
You only know the version of Mitchell where he is the 1st option and the version of Murray playing with Jokic.
You've never seen the version of Mitchell playing with Jokic or the the version of Murray being the 1st option.
If you have more "Posts" than "And1", don't feel bad if I didn't reply to you - I just don't like to speak with people who argue a lot :beer:
louc1970
Senior
And1: 197

Post#76 » by louc1970 » Tue May 21, 2024 4:24 pm

Denver to improve needs to trade MPJ.

Nuggets trade MPJ, Nnaji
Heat trade Butler.

Denver gets another do it all to win. While at the same time Butler can relax during the regular season as Denver has enough with Murray, Jokic, Gordon to be competitive.
Miami gets size, cost reduction, and does not have to pay Butler going into his twilight.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 11,033

Post#77 » by jc23 » Tue May 21, 2024 4:25 pm

Keep him. What they need now is more depth. Have said it a million times but one of these contending teams needs to throw a first round pick at Chicago and come get Caruso. He deserves to be in the playoffs next year and will be in any teams top 7 rotation.

With the nba allowing for more physical play a guy like him is even more valuable
Be curious, Not judgmental
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,862

Post#78 » by ConSarnit » Tue May 21, 2024 5:36 pm

jc23 wrote:Keep him. What they need now is more depth. Have said it a million times but one of these contending teams needs to throw a first round pick at Chicago and come get Caruso. He deserves to be in the playoffs next year and will be in any teams top 7 rotation.

With the nba allowing for more physical play a guy like him is even more valuable

DEN doesn't really have much to trade. They can trade their '24 1st (28th) . They can't trade any of their picks from 25-31 because they owe protected 1sts in 25, 27 and 29. Seems like CHI could do better than the 28th pick in a bad draft for Caruso.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,342

Post#79 » by tamaraw08 » Tue May 21, 2024 5:59 pm

TheShow2021 wrote:
winforlose wrote:The better question is how can the Nuggets improve in a trade involving Murray? The answer is they probably cannot. His injury history and contract size limits your options. You also don’t want to take a step backwards, and you don’t want a player who risks not having chemistry with Joker. Denver wants 3 rings in 5 years. It is doable if they can maintain 6 or 7 high level players. Of course other teams are up and coming (Wolves, OKC, Memphis to name a few,) so this task is easier said than done. Personally, I think Denver runs it back because they don’t have a lot of room to move.

I would bet a lot of money that Denver isn't winning any rings in the next 3 years if Jamal Murray is still their 2nd best player.

If you feel that way with Murray, then which teams would be willing to trade their dependable Allstar for this guy?
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,342

Post#80 » by tamaraw08 » Tue May 21, 2024 6:01 pm

louc1970 wrote:Denver to improve needs to trade MPJ.

Nuggets trade MPJ, Nnaji
Heat trade Butler.

Denver gets another do it all to win. While at the same time Butler can relax during the regular season as Denver has enough with Murray, Jokic, Gordon to be competitive.
Miami gets size, cost reduction, and does not have to pay Butler going into his twilight.

I'm betting Miami would rather find another Caleb Martin or a young Jacquez than absorb the contract of MPJ.

Return to The General Board