Post Mortem 2023/24 - Oklahoma City Thunder (Eliminated in West Semis)

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

4 questions...

Q1: Keep the Head of Front Office
24%
Q1: Fire the Head of Front Office
1%
Q2: Keep the coach
23%
Q2: Fire the coach
1%
Q3: Performed better than expected
21%
Q3: Performed as expected
4%
Q3: Performed worse than expected
1%
Q4: Rising Team
24%
Q4: Treadmill/Plateaued/Maintaining Team
1%
Q4: Waning Team
1%

Total votes: 341

nbafan38
Head Coach
And1: 5,555

Re: Post Mortem 2023/24 - Oklahoma City Thunder (Eliminated in West Semis) 

Post#61 » by nbafan38 » Sun May 19, 2024 7:41 pm

I really think SGA made a case for being a top 2-3 player in the league in this series, I know Luka was injured but SGA was the best player in the series. The rest of the thunder weren't that impressive but still very young and first true playoff series so it's understandable. The team clearly needs more size to win a title.
Slimjimzv
Junior
And1: 350

Post#62 » by Slimjimzv » Sun May 19, 2024 7:53 pm

The negativity in this thread is absolutely insane. This team exceeded ALL expectations, is young, has a ton of draft picks, a young coach of the year, and the best GM in sports. For those of you finding a trade or decision that didn't work out perfectly, just stop. No team, person, business, or anything else is perfect. But they're damn good. I have to assume that anyone who says otherwise is either ignorant or jealous.
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 6,142

Post#63 » by Exp0sed » Sun May 19, 2024 10:04 pm

Kittles02 wrote:If they have money, go get Nic Claxton. He's a free agent this summer.

Claxton can't hit free throws, not suitable for an actual contender
they should get Jarret Allen
Exp0sed
Head Coach

Post#64 » by Exp0sed » Sun May 19, 2024 10:09 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:I'm with the majority voting all the positive things for this franchise, and frankly I have enough trust in the GM & coach that I'm reluctant to even bother giving advice about what they should do.

I think we all see that, as feared/expected, the (really) young guys weren't ready for the physicality required of them against playoff competition. It is what it is, and I don't think it wise to do anything drastic to make the team better right now.

Re: "You never know how long your window will stay open so you have to do what you can now!", sure to a point. But any time you're cannibalizing the future for present you have to be factoring that in as a cost, and there should be prices you're not prepared to pay.

I will say that I'm not really sure how Giddey ends up fitting in with the rest of the core that's coalescing, and so in situations like that, yeah, that's where I'd start considering what I could get for him that would fit better with the core both for the present and the future.

literally everbody argued that the Thunder should move on from Giddey and turn him and a Pick to a meaningul vet that fits their needs. then Giddey suddenly started shooting a bit better, may have looked like a case of waiting out to see for a little longer but once he shot 20% in the playoffs from 3 and was demoted to the bench, I think it's clear that he'll be traded and honestly it will be good for him as well. he can't develop to his max with the role he was expected to play for this Thunder team. they have no reason to wait any longer..
DrModesty
Senior
And1: 556

Post#65 » by DrModesty » Sun May 19, 2024 11:00 pm

Exp0sed wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:I'm with the majority voting all the positive things for this franchise, and frankly I have enough trust in the GM & coach that I'm reluctant to even bother giving advice about what they should do.

I think we all see that, as feared/expected, the (really) young guys weren't ready for the physicality required of them against playoff competition. It is what it is, and I don't think it wise to do anything drastic to make the team better right now.

Re: "You never know how long your window will stay open so you have to do what you can now!", sure to a point. But any time you're cannibalizing the future for present you have to be factoring that in as a cost, and there should be prices you're not prepared to pay.

I will say that I'm not really sure how Giddey ends up fitting in with the rest of the core that's coalescing, and so in situations like that, yeah, that's where I'd start considering what I could get for him that would fit better with the core both for the present and the future.

literally everbody argued that the Thunder should move on from Giddey and turn him and a Pick to a meaningul vet that fits their needs. then Giddey suddenly started shooting a bit better, may have looked like a case of waiting out to see for a little longer but once he shot 20% in the playoffs from 3 and was demoted to the bench, I think it's clear that he'll be traded and honestly it will be good for him as well. he can't develop to his max with the role he was expected to play for this Thunder team. they have no reason to wait any longer..

I also think it is clear he will and should get traded, but he shot 35% from 3 in the playoffs.
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 22,101

Post#66 » by AussieCeltic » Sun May 19, 2024 11:02 pm

They need a C who can rebound.

I wonder if a Giddey for Walker Kessler trade works? Throw in picks and fillers either way.

Both guys seem out of favour with their teams.

Hardy seems to prefer going with Lauri/Collins/Hendricks.

Daigenault seems to prefer Cason Wallace over Giddey.

Jazz get a PG who fits well with Keyonte George who seems more like a small 2.

OKC gets a big who can block shots, rebound and play against the bigger bodies in the West.
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
Exp0sed
Head Coach

Post#67 » by Exp0sed » Sun May 19, 2024 11:07 pm

DrModesty wrote:
Exp0sed wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:.

I also think it is clear he will and should get traded, but he shot 35% from 3 in the playoffs.

ur right srry, I meant vs. the Mavs. he shot 20% vs. the Mavs prior to game 6 and it went down to about 15% after.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 46,227

Post#68 » by dakomish23 » Mon May 20, 2024 3:31 pm

Have Presti & SGA at OG’s front door at midnight of FA.

Cash in some of the treasure chest to get Sarr in the draft.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 774

Post#69 » by cjmcallist » Mon May 20, 2024 3:47 pm

Bobbymcgee wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Bobbymcgee wrote:Everyone keeps praising OKC for all the draft picks they have stocked up but they already screwed up last year by trading Lively for Bertans and then getting Hayward at the trade deadline.

There is a lot of opportunities to get better but there is also a lot of opportunities to make dumb moves like above. So, I don't think it's guaranteed they get better just because they have a ton of draft picks.

lol they did not trade Lively for Bertans, they got a young Jrue in Cason Wallace, who was an elite guard defender in the playoffs as a rookie. The Hayward deal was clearing 35 million in cap for this summer.

They could have made some moves but the other contenders in the west have burned through all their picks so OKC will be flush as they dumpster dive for rotation players. No guarantees but that’s why it matters.

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/dallas-mavs-draft-dereck-lively-ii-trade-oklahoma-city-thunder

"As part of the trade with the Thunder, the Mavs sent Davis Bertans along with the No. 10 pick in exchange for the No. 12 pick. So, not only did the Mavs get the guy they wanted, but they also shed an unattractive salary off their books to gain the full midlevel exception in free agency, as well as a $17 million trade exception – one they are reportedly looking to use sooner than later."

Did you miss the 'along with the No. 10 pick'? The trade was 12 for Bertans+10. In other words, OKC took on Bertans salary to move up from 12 to 10. Saying they traded for Bertans is missing the point.

Then they drafted Cason Wallace with #10.
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 2,197

Post#70 » by Bobbymcgee » Mon May 20, 2024 3:50 pm

cjmcallist wrote:
Bobbymcgee wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
lol they did not trade Lively for Bertans, they got a young Jrue in Cason Wallace, who was an elite guard defender in the playoffs as a rookie. The Hayward deal was clearing 35 million in cap for this summer.

They could have made some moves but the other contenders in the west have burned through all their picks so OKC will be flush as they dumpster dive for rotation players. No guarantees but that’s why it matters.

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/dallas-mavs-draft-dereck-lively-ii-trade-oklahoma-city-thunder

"As part of the trade with the Thunder, the Mavs sent Davis Bertans along with the No. 10 pick in exchange for the No. 12 pick. So, not only did the Mavs get the guy they wanted, but they also shed an unattractive salary off their books to gain the full midlevel exception in free agency, as well as a $17 million trade exception – one they are reportedly looking to use sooner than later."

Did you miss the 'along with the No. 10 pick'? The trade was 12 for Bertans+10. In other words, OKC took on Bertans salary to move up from 12 to 10. Saying they traded for Bertans is missing the point.

Still a terrible trade.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,037

Post#71 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon May 20, 2024 3:53 pm

Bobbymcgee wrote:
cjmcallist wrote:
Bobbymcgee wrote:

Still a terrible trade.

It wasnt a terrible trade at all. They wanted Cason and ORL almost certainly was going to take him 11.
Swish77
Junior
And1: 94

Post#72 » by Swish77 » Mon May 20, 2024 4:03 pm

Bobbymcgee wrote:
cjmcallist wrote:
Bobbymcgee wrote:

Still a terrible trade.

Its not as bad as the PG trade to the clips. lol
Swish77
Junior
And1: 94

Post#73 » by Swish77 » Mon May 20, 2024 4:05 pm

The last time the Mavs beat OKC in the playoffs the next season OKC went to the NBA Finals. OKC doesnt need much a vet big who can rebound is all they need. ID make JG the 6th man who comes off the bench.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,599

Post#74 » by durden_tyler » Tue May 21, 2024 7:36 am

Start consolidating those picks to get a key rotation player (PF and PG i think would be best).
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,777

Post#75 » by dygaction » Tue May 21, 2024 10:11 pm

AussieCeltic wrote:They need a C who can rebound.

I wonder if a Giddey for Walker Kessler trade works? Throw in picks and fillers either way.

Both guys seem out of favour with their teams.

Hardy seems to prefer going with Lauri/Collins/Hendricks.

Daigenault seems to prefer Cason Wallace over Giddey.

Jazz get a PG who fits well with Keyonte George who seems more like a small 2.

OKC gets a big who can block shots, rebound and play against the bigger bodies in the West.

Salary won't match. Giddey sign&trade plus load of 1st picks for Lauri Markkanen + Kessler. Lauri is not a player Jazz can build on.

Lauri/Chet/Kessler offer great size and flexibility, a tremendous upgrade over this season.

Return to The General Board