Adam Silver admits All Star Game could disapear

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 25,164

Re: Adam Silver admits All Star Game could disapear 

Post#61 » by NyKnicks1714 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:44 am

PierceFan4ever wrote:Not interested in USA vs the world is especially since Jokic and Doncic both put the least amount of effort in the all star game anyways, I don’t see how that would even change.

There are also fewer international players than US players to begin with. It's not fair to have one player pool be so much larger than the other. This year there were 5 All-stars who are international players: Jokic, Embiid, Luka, SGA, Giannis. Imagine if USA vs World was the format this year, and you needed 7 more players. I can probably come up with 7 more All-star caliber international players, but a lot of US players who really deserve spots would be left out.

And yes, it's not great when two of your top three players care less about the ASG than anyone in NBA history. Giannis is on the other side of the spectrum though so he counters that a little.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM

Post#62 » by NyKnicks1714 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:47 am

PlatinumState wrote:Why would they get rid of the asg when it always sells out even though tickets are crazy expensive?

They won't. I don't dislike Silver at all, but I think he's being a little passive-aggressive here.
heezyo2o
Starter
And1: 1,276

Post#63 » by heezyo2o » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:55 am

I don't really get it. Being an all star and becoming an all-star is a big deal for a lot of these guys, but when it comes to the game, they just don't care. I get wanting to rest, but they play harder in practice and in pickup games.

The all star game is broken. It slowly got worse over time so you can't just flip a switch and instantly make it competitive. If they were trying to make it better, then they should have started a decade ago. The mindset of it being a dunk contest is just accepted by players now
Sixers in 4
Pro Prospect
And1: 793

Post#64 » by Sixers in 4 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:02 am

This commissioner is a joke.

Never wants to confront the actual problem which is players are uninterested in giving any time or effort until the playoffs come around.

You want to change that there are obvious solutions like home-court advantage in the NBA championship game for all-star winners.

Playoff byes for conference winners but that would affect revenues and he would rather pretend that the regular season matters when everyone including coaches knows it doesn't. Players don't care anymore. They have zero pride. Finishing 8th and making a deep playoff run is preferable to most players if they can "save" themselves during the season.
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,706

Post#65 » by Up-And-Coming » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:05 am

As others have suggested, just replace it with the IST Final. Totally fine with no more All-Star games
NyKnicks1714
RealGM

Post#66 » by NyKnicks1714 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:09 am

Sixers in 4 wrote:This commissioner is a joke.

Never wants to confront the actual problem which is players are uninterested in giving any time or effort until the playoffs come around.

You want to change that there are obvious solutions like home-court advantage in the NBA championship game for all-star winners.

It's easy to come up with solutions that cause bigger problems. The majority of fans hated when the MLB all-star game decided home field in the World Series. Let's say the West won this year and the Finals turn out to be Celtics vs. Clippers. That would be unfair and ridiculous.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM

Post#67 » by NyKnicks1714 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:14 am

Up-And-Coming wrote:As others have suggested, just replace it with the IST Final. Totally fine with no more All-Star games

The timing of the IST is strategic. It's a way to generate interest earlier in the NBA season when there's a greater need for it.
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,706

Post#68 » by Up-And-Coming » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:16 am

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
Up-And-Coming wrote:As others have suggested, just replace it with the IST Final. Totally fine with no more All-Star games

The timing of the IST is strategic. It's a way to generate interest earlier in the NBA season when there's a greater need for it.

Ok, then I'm all for just getting rid of it altogether
reamily
Senior
And1: 87

Post#69 » by reamily » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:19 am

Theyre all stars, so why guve them 2 million usd each 24 million for the winning team additional 1 m for the mvp..give the homecourt advantage to the winner..and yes make them eligible to win nba mvps/nba teams even they didnt get the 65 game minimum for the winning conference..
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,205

Post#70 » by M2J » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:21 am

Nate505 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Well duh!

These guys use all-star for vacation and family time. Nobody wants to work a full season without vacation time. Imagine working a job and you can't go on vacation all year.

I can't tell if this is serious or not.

Who cares if it is or not. There are people saying not to even give them a break.

Fact is, if anyone has a job or goes to school. Especially one where it involves physical labor, traveling constantly... You deserve and your body needs a break. Plus their families need to see them
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,609

Post#71 » by jokeboy86 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:23 am

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
PlatinumState wrote:Why would they get rid of the asg when it always sells out even though tickets are crazy expensive?

They won't. I don't dislike Silver at all, but I think he's being a little passive-aggressive here.

This. Silver’s bluffing. Getting rid of the Pro Bowl was one thing but it always took place in one location and I cant imagine it was bringing that much more money to Hawaii. Both the MLB/NBA all star games are basically like mega conventions for the cities that they come to with all the money they bring. The whole week/weekend is a big boost economically

But who knows maybe Silver isnt bluffing. He’s already announced a change who gets the all-star games which all but rules out a lot of small market cities from ever getting it(ex. Milwaukee). The players would easily lobby for there to be no all star game at this point if you asked them. I dont think the owners would care either because most owners of teams/cities that get the game bemoan the fact that they have to give up arena dates and it doesnt benefit their season ticket holders.

So then the last people who might complain are the TV partners but I dont think ABC/ESPN cares cause they’ve never had the rights and at this point I wonder how much Turner cares because the ratings arent getting any better.

I would get rid of the game and just call the weekend an All-Star showcase and have it just rotate it amongst these cities every year(LA, NY, MIA, Vegas). Get the really popular players or ex-players to host it or provide commentary like its entertainment awards show. Keep the dunk contest and forget NBA players and just get the world’s best dunkers. Keep the 3 point contest because that seems to be the only NBA player involved thing that anybody really cares about. And instead of the rookie game I would try(if even possible) to get two well-known Euro clubs or if there are clubs with a Luka/Wemby type prospect(s) on the roster to play against each other and called it “Global Showcase” or something.
Sixers in 4
Pro Prospect
And1: 793

Post#72 » by Sixers in 4 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:28 am

NyKnicks1714 wrote:

It's easy to come up with solutions that cause bigger problems. The majority of fans hated when the MLB all-star game decided home field in the World Series. Let's say the West won this year and the Finals turn out to be Celtics vs. Clippers. That would be unfair and ridiculous.

Though the MLB players always give it their best, I prefer to watch meaningful games, so I did not mind in the slightest. The NBA is not in the same predicament; rather than struggling with fan interest, they are having issues with player effort. There are only two solutions to this problem: either you make the game meaningful, or the players, fans, and media realize that it is a pointless game and it disappears.

You seem to want the game to disappear completely, which is understandable, but there are other options and there is plenty of fan interest in the game itself. So why not save it by making it meaningful to players?
NyKnicks1714
RealGM

Post#73 » by NyKnicks1714 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:31 am

Sixers in 4 wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:

Though the MLB players always give it their best, I prefer to watch meaningful games, so I did not mind in the slightest. The NBA is not in the same predicament; rather than struggling with fan interest, they are having issues with player effort. There are only two solutions to this problem: either you make the game meaningful, or the players, fans, and media realize that it is a pointless game and it disappears.

You seem to want the game to disappear completely, which is understandable, but there are other options and there is plenty of fan interest in the game itself. So why not save it by making it meaningful to players?

I never said I want it to disappear. I think a non-competitive ASG is a lot better than Finals HCA going to a team who doesn't deserve it ~50% of the time.
The Servant
Senior
And1: 718

Post#74 » by The Servant » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:32 am

Been watching NBA since 2004, I stopped watching the ASG in probably 2017 or 2018. It's just boring to me, most dunk comps flop, the game itself (260 points to 300, 80x 3 point attempts). Just lol.

I've been saying scrap it for years, it's a snooze fest.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 7,070

Post#75 » by JustBuzzin » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:35 am

M2J wrote:
Nate505 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Well duh!

These guys use all-star for vacation and family time. Nobody wants to work a full season without vacation time. Imagine working a job and you can't go on vacation all year.

I can't tell if this is serious or not.

Who cares if it is or not. There are people saying not to even give them a break.

Fact is, if anyone has a job or goes to school. Especially one where it involves physical labor, traveling constantly... You deserve and your body needs a break. Plus their families need to see them

Preach brotha Preach!

Most of the people saying they don't need a break, probably are single. If you have any kind of job you deserve to have a vacation on that job point blank. Who cares if they make millions, they are still human at the end of the day.
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,012

Post#76 » by Joshyjess » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:39 am

I think that there are 2 reasons why the All-Star game is pretty much doomed. 1 - Players worrying about injuries. Players want the maximum contracts, and I don't think they see the All-Star game as a reason to risk getting injured and put a possible contract in jeopardy. Now, I really don't think this is a good reason, since it has hardly ever happened, and honestly players are more likely to get injured in practice than in an All-Star game, but it is an argument we've heard mentioned often enough to at least consider it as a reason. and 2 - Players would much rather spend the week with their families on a vacation, then play a game that doesn't really mean all that much.
Yes, they do get quite a bit of time off in the off-season, but who wouldn't want an extra week of vacation time if it were available. When they see most of their teammates going on trips around the world, I'm sure they probably would prefer that over spending the week playing a game that just doesn't mean all that much.
I don't know how it could possibly work logistically, but I think an amazing solution would be for the NBA to work with the NCAA, and somehow try to get the NCAA tournament final 4 games (March Madness) to coincide with the week off for the players. Perhaps rather than having the All-Star break be closer to the middle of the season (it's actually not even in the middle of the season) move it to the end of the March so all basketball fans could focus on the NCAA tournament, while giving the players some time off before getting ready to head into the playoffs.
This way players would get some time off to spend with their families (or even go to the NCAA final four games and route on their College teams), fans would still have some amazing basketball to watch, so their wouldn't be a week of no basketball, March Madness is already in place, so it wouldn't require creating anything new, and players would get a chance to rest up (or perhaps even come back from injuries) before the NBA playoffs begin, thus hopefully creating a higher-level of games with fresher, less-injured players.
MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,697

Post#77 » by MavsDirk41 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 am

The sooner they cancel it the better and its the players fault
BloodNinja
Analyst
And1: 5,651

Post#78 » by BloodNinja » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:47 am

Players are so soft now. They may be more talented than ever but also the least competitive.
MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,697

Post#79 » by MavsDirk41 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:50 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
M2J wrote:
Nate505 wrote:I can't tell if this is serious or not.

Preach brotha Preach!

Most of the people saying they don't need a break, probably are single. If you have any kind of job you deserve to have a vacation on that job point blank. Who cares if they make millions, they are still human at the end of the day.

I feel so sorry for all star players expected to actually show up and compete in an allstar game… i mean they are expected to work 7 months out of the year so only 5 months to go on luxurious vacations. How are they expected to survive in these conditions lmfao
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 7,070

Post#80 » by JustBuzzin » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:57 am

MavsDirk41 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
M2J wrote:

Preach brotha Preach!

I feel so sorry for all star players expected to actually show up and compete in an allstar game… i mean they are expected to work 7 months out of the year so only 5 months to go on luxurious vacations. How are they expected to survive in these conditions lmfao
I miss you buddy. Good to see we still disagree on most topics. :D

Seriously though it seems like you mad because of the lifestyle they live. Money doesn't have anything to do with getting a vacation during your 8 months of work. You telling me 1 week off is not deserved from the best players in the game?

Not fair they still have to work while the lesser teammates get a vacation. All Stars should be rewarded with vacation time off. If you want them to play then give them a week off after allstar break. That's all im saying.

Return to The General Board