Caitlin Clark is the first TRUE star in the history of woman’s basketball.

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,671

Re: Caitlin Clark is the first TRUE star in the history of woman’s basketball. 

Post#441 » by dc » Mon Apr 8, 2024 10:24 pm

boogiezen wrote:18.7m watched South Carolina-Iowa finals. Huge numbers. Now, can it translate to WNBA? And it will be interesting to see if this trend will continue next year.

As sort of said in another thread, this is almost all due to Clark. So for all this hype/viewership to translate to the WNBA, Clark's game needs to translate to a similar level in that league.

If she's "only" a very good player who scores 18 ppg on good efficiency, people will lose interest in due time because it would be similar to what the WNBA has offered in the past. That's not really being fair to her and it's a lot to put onto her shoulders, but her being something generational is what the WNBA needs in terms of getting a rating/relevancy spike.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
boogiezen
Senior
And1: 437

Post#442 » by boogiezen » Mon Apr 8, 2024 10:30 pm

dc wrote:
boogiezen wrote:18.7m watched South Carolina-Iowa finals. Huge numbers. Now, can it translate to WNBA? And it will be interesting to see if this trend will continue next year.

As sort of said in another thread, this is almost all due to Clark. So for all this hype/viewership to translate to the WNBA, Clark's game needs to translate to a similar level in that league.

If she's "only" a very good player who scores 18 ppg on good efficiency, people will lose interest in due time because it would be similar to what the WNBA has offered in the past. That's not really being fair to her and it's a lot to put onto her shoulders, but her being something generational is what the WNBA needs in terms of getting a rating/relevancy spike.

But the purist of the game will say that's not winning basketball.

Indiana Fever has good young core. If you want her to continue what she has done in college it will depend on the coach. Clark has the greenlight in Iowa.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,669

Post#443 » by prophet_of_rage » Mon Apr 8, 2024 10:40 pm

Tony Franciosa wrote:I love when people just start paying attention to something, then declare the first true thing of that thing that's been around for a longass time because it made THEM notice.
Since 1492 ....

Sent from my SM-S9080 using RealGM mobile app
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#444 » by prophet_of_rage » Mon Apr 8, 2024 10:41 pm

D.Brasco wrote:
OfficialRef wrote:I watched the NCAA final four because of her and the first time I've ever watched a full game of women's basketball. She is incredible. Once she gets drafted I am going to continue watching the WNBA cause of her too.

There are probably a few million echoing your sentiments right now. Everything has been teed up for the WNBA, they can't afford to drop the ball here. Don't know when they'll get another opportunity like this to draw in masses of potential new fans.
When JuJu comes out.

Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,380

Post#445 » by Jedi32 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 11:00 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
D.Brasco wrote:
OfficialRef wrote:I watched the NCAA final four because of her and the first time I've ever watched a full game of women's basketball. She is incredible. Once she gets drafted I am going to continue watching the WNBA cause of her too.

There are probably a few million echoing your sentiments right now. Everything has been teed up for the WNBA, they can't afford to drop the ball here. Don't know when they'll get another opportunity like this to draw in masses of potential new fans.
When JuJu comes out.

Been watching her for years. She's the truth. She's the best female college player imo. This girl is unbelievable.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,499

Post#446 » by D.Brasco » Mon Apr 8, 2024 11:36 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
D.Brasco wrote:

When JuJu comes out.

Do you think she'll get the same level of attention that Clark's gotten? Attention and hype is not always correlated 1:1 with talent, she could be a better baller but don't know if she'll get the ratings Clark has.
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,787

Post#447 » by Infinite Llamas » Mon Apr 8, 2024 11:36 pm

The thing is, it just might be a perfect storm here. The WNBA has some incredible players. Wilson, Stewart, Ionescu, Plum and plenty of older players that still have game like Elena, Skylar, Diana…but the league is searching for a “face” just like the NBA was with Magic and Bird. Clark has the potential to do this and if she is the transcendent talent some think she is, she could really bring a lot of attention to the league.
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,146

Post#448 » by FarBeyondDriven » Mon Apr 8, 2024 11:44 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
Kurtz wrote:
I'm not going to pretend that I watch WNBA but watching Clark at the tourney I think she'll be even more effective in the pros. There are multiple open looks she creates for her teammates every game, including many layup opportunities, that they completely blow. I imagine that WNBA players will have no trouble finishing those looks.

Players like Cordoso and Angel Reese may be less effective as their size and physicality advantage is diminished in the pros, but Clark's shooting and playmaking shouldn't be effected.

The good thing is we get to see it all play out. :D

Even Taurasi said she is skeptical about her at the next level simply because everyone is much more physical and they are waiting to see if the hype is real. Like it or not she has a target on her back and players will be giving her their best game. Hope she lives up to the hype because that's what comes with being great.

I'm half-kidding, but If the WNBA women are smart, they should just relax and let Clark dominate. And then rake in all the extra money that rains on the league because they now have their cash-cow.

I believe MJ is the GOAT but I 100% believe this happened in the 90s with MJ. They changed rules because of him which was good for the game tbh. But they took it another step further. MJ got a very favorable whistle after that. But MJ was a marketable star that sold sneakers and brought ratings. Kobe got the same treatment a decade later. The NBA is a TV show. So not kidding, I kinda agree, let Clark cook and the league might actually enjoy decent ratings and the sport could grow. Clark (especially, and others have captured little girl's around the world's imaginations. There will be many more Clarks coming in the next decade.

I just don't think current WNBA players can put aside their jealousy and resentment to do the smart thing. I'm not talking about fixing games and just letting her score or call ticky tack fouls. I'm talking, don't face guard her or trap her every time she has the ball. Just play her straight up and watch her cook. Hell, if the NBA did this to Luka he'd have half the success and wouldn't be impacting global basketball like he is and wouldn't be a face of the league.
dc
Head Coach

Post#449 » by dc » Tue Apr 9, 2024 12:04 am

boogiezen wrote:But the purist of the game will say that's not winning basketball.

Indiana Fever has good young core. If you want her to continue what she has done in college it will depend on the coach. Clark has the greenlight in Iowa.

Iowa gave Clark the green light because it gave them a better chance of winning, not because they didn't like "fundamental basketball" or they were going out of their way to promote her as some transcendent player. She was efficient even at her volume and usage rate. It's the same thing with Steph. A bad shot from him was still better than a good shot from his teammates. That's literally what they said about him in his highlight video the moment he was announced as the #7 pick.

Fever might have a good core, but they've been a bad team for several years in a row now. I mean, that's how they're getting Clark in the first place. If her game indeed translates, they're going to let her play the way she played in college.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 6,552

Post#450 » by BigGargamel » Tue Apr 9, 2024 12:06 am

:lol: We are at the point where we got posters saying that WNBA players should just "let Caitlin Clark win" basically. How silly? That's like asking NBA players to take it easy on Cooper Flagg when he comes in because he's the most recent great white hope.

I know I sound like a hater but ESPN has manufactured most of this, and you all fell for it. Just like you fell for it when you watched the Colorado Buffalos first couple of games last year.

WNBA players lke A'Ja Wilson, who've already accomplished a ton, are going to be gunning for Clark. Not stepping aside and letting her win so casuals will watch. :lol: She's going to be just another player in the pro's, and the fair-weather fans are going to move on to obsessing over the next popular thing that ESPN relentlessly pushes.
dc
Head Coach

Post#451 » by dc » Tue Apr 9, 2024 12:14 am

BigGargamel wrote::lol: We are at the point where we got posters saying that WNBA players should just "let Caitlin Clark win" basically. How silly? That's like asking NBA players to take it easy on Cooper Flagg when he comes in because he's the most recent great white hope.

I know I sound like a hater but ESPN has manufactured most of this, and you all fell for it. Just like you fell for it when you watched the Colorado Buffalos first couple of games last year.

WNBA players lke A'Ja Wilson, who've already accomplished a ton, are going to be gunning for Clark. Not stepping aside and letting her win so casuals will watch. :lol: She's going to be just another player in the pro's, and the fair-weather fans are going to move on to obsessing over the next popular thing that ESPN relentlessly pushes.

I don't think what Clark has done has been manufactured by anyone at all. Her level of play and production at her volume/usage/degree of difficulty is more or less unprecedented in women's college ball. She sustained that for years, unlike the Colorado football team, who just surprised people for a few games.

Will that translate into the WNBA? It's not for certain. I have no doubt she'll at least be a really good player. The question is whether she can dominate at the same level as she did in college.

NBA4Lyfe
Veteran
And1: 1,654

Post#452 » by NBA4Lyfe » Tue Apr 9, 2024 12:24 am

dc wrote:
boogiezen wrote:But the purist of the game will say that's not winning basketball.

Iowa gave Clark the green light because it gave them a better chance of winning, not because they didn't like "fundamental basketball" or they were going out of their way to promote her as some transcendent player. She was efficient even at her volume and usage rate. It's the same thing with Steph. A bad shot from him was still better than a good shot from his teammates. That's literally what they said about him in his highlight video the moment he was announced as the #7 pick.

Fever might have a good core, but they've been a bad team for several years in a row now. I mean, that's how they're getting Clark in the first place. If her game indeed translates, they're going to let her play the way she played in college.

i’m a longtime harden fan, and as much i love kobe( rip) him saying that heliocentric style of basketball will never win always bothered me. Under the right conditions it can at least get you to an nba finals see the 2018 rockets

now luka doncic is one who will carry that stigma of being the player that will prove kobe wrong. i like the mavs to go very far in the playoffs this year if they stay healthy and no shenanigans by the refs

clark could also do it in the women’s game
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,499

Post#453 » by D.Brasco » Tue Apr 9, 2024 12:33 am

BigGargamel wrote::lol: We are at the point where we got posters saying that WNBA players should just "let Caitlin Clark win" basically. How silly? That's like asking NBA players to take it easy on Cooper Flagg when he comes in because he's the most recent great white hope.

A'Ja Wilson's most recent contract is 2 years 398k total, she may not like it but Caitlin bringing eyes and doing well in the WNBA would help her bottom line to get paid.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,976

Post#454 » by Jabroni Lames » Tue Apr 9, 2024 12:49 am

D.Brasco wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:
D.Brasco wrote:
When JuJu comes out.

Do you think she'll get the same level of attention that Clark's gotten? Attention and hype is not always correlated 1:1 with talent, she could be a better baller but don't know if she'll get the ratings Clark has.

Martina Navratilova was the top female tennis player for a good stretch, but always far from the most popular with ratings. Like it or not, there’s an additional watchability factor with women’s sports, because most sports viewers are men.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 22,079

Post#455 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:08 am

Nancy Lieberman says hello. When Caitlin Clark enters the HOF we can talk.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
dc
Head Coach

Post#456 » by dc » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:38 am

Curmudgeon wrote:Nancy Lieberman says hello. When Caitlin Clark enters the HOF we can talk.

Clark can retire now, or maybe just win a gold medal at the Olympics with the US women for good measure, and she's already in the HOF.

There are several female players who are in the Naismith HOF because of a great college career and winning a gold medal being on a stacked US roster.

prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#457 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:55 am

D.Brasco wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:
D.Brasco wrote:
When JuJu comes out.

JuJu will be must see TV because she will break the scoring record.

prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#458 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:02 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:The good thing is we get to see it all play out. :D

Even Taurasi said she is skeptical about her at the next level simply because everyone is much more physical and they are waiting to see if the hype is real. Like it or not she has a target on her back and players will be giving her their best game. Hope she lives up to the hype because that's what comes with being great.

I'm half-kidding, but If the WNBA women are smart, they should just relax and let Clark dominate. And then rake in all the extra money that rains on the league because they now have their cash-cow.

I believe MJ is the GOAT but I 100% believe this happened in the 90s with MJ. They changed rules because of him which was good for the game tbh. But they took it another step further. MJ got a very favorable whistle after that. But MJ was a marketable star that sold sneakers and brought ratings. Kobe got the same treatment a decade later. The NBA is a TV show. So not kidding, I kinda agree, let Clark cook and the league might actually enjoy decent ratings and the sport could grow. Clark (especially, and others have captured little girl's around the world's imaginations. There will be many more Clarks coming in the next decade.

I just don't think current WNBA players can put aside their jealousy and resentment to do the smart thing. I'm not talking about fixing games and just letting her score or call ticky tack fouls. I'm talking, don't face guard her or trap her every time she has the ball. Just play her straight up and watch her cook. Hell, if the NBA did this to Luka he'd have half the success and wouldn't be impacting global basketball like he is and wouldn't be a face of the league.
So turn the games into Globetrotter games?

The WNBA is a tough league. Unlike Larry, Magic and MJ Clark is not going to a league where the talent is weak.

BAMAFREAK
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,371

Post#459 » by BAMAFREAK » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:03 am

prophet_of_rage wrote:
D.Brasco wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:When JuJu comes out.

JuJu will be must see TV because she will break the scoring record.

Juju barely shot 40% this year and 28 and 36% in the last two games. She’s inefficient and nowhere near the player Clark is. Very good athlete and player but Clark isn’t just media creation, she’s been transcendent in college.
dc
Head Coach

Post#460 » by dc » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:01 am

BAMAFREAK wrote:Juju barely shot 40% this year and 28 and 36% in the last two games. She’s inefficient and nowhere near the player Clark is. Very good athlete and player but Clark isn’t just media creation, she’s been transcendent in college.

Yeah a lot of people are totally missing the point of why Clark is drawing so much attention. It's not because the media is trying to create some super hero story/narrative. It's because her combination of volume/usage and efficiency are basically unprecedented in the womens game.

Their have certainly been great female players who you can call stars, but nobody has produced the way Clark has on court.

The full effect of why we consider guys like Steph/KD/Lebron/Jokic and other male players to be dominant has never really been replicated by someone in the womens game until now.

Return to The General Board