Has Kyrie rehabbed his image?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Has Kyrie rehabbed his image?

Yes
43%
Not yet
57%

Total votes: 99

shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,344

Re: Has Kyrie rehabbed his image? 

Post#41 » by shrink » Sun May 12, 2024 6:29 pm

OP, this would make a good poll question!
1993Playoffs
Analyst
And1: 3,617

Post#42 » by 1993Playoffs » Sun May 12, 2024 6:29 pm

He’s been legitimately good on both ends. Good for him and DAL
strokerace
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,207

Post#43 » by strokerace » Sun May 12, 2024 6:32 pm

Amazing how people view you when you do your job well, keep the crazy comments to yourself, and treat others around you with the same repsect you demand.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,691

Post#44 » by mademan » Sun May 12, 2024 6:33 pm

Saints14 wrote:I’m honestly shocked he’s stayed away from the Israel/Palestine stuff this season. Does seem like he’s matured and loved in Dallas so good on him

He's said and done some things that wouldve blown up if he were still in Brooklyn. Imagine him wearing a keffiyeh in front of that media and how many stories wouldve been written about it, but in Dallas nobody blinked twice.
FrodoFraggins
Senior
And1: 554

Post#45 » by FrodoFraggins » Sun May 12, 2024 6:37 pm

Off the court he has learned to shut up about certain subjects, the worst one being unrelated to COVID. As long as there isn't another pandemic he should be safe.

I don't think he's changed as a person. But he certainly seems more invested in his team.
Forbes
Analyst
And1: 2,745

Post#46 » by Forbes » Sun May 12, 2024 6:51 pm

The media would blow up everything that came out of Kyrie’s mouth.

Before he came to Dallas, Cuban told him he could handle the media. Best believe the people allowed to speak to Kyrie are on their best behavior.

Also Kyrie of old was looking to be that number 1 option and leader. He has definitely matured and realizes what he’s best at and what he is capable of. Mavs are getting the benefits of him becoming wiser. That why everyone originally say the pairing with Luka wouldn’t work because the old Kyrie damn sure was not going to work here.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 30,048

Post#47 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sun May 12, 2024 7:01 pm

FrodoFraggins wrote:Off the court he has learned to shut up about certain subjects, the worst one being unrelated to COVID. As long as there isn't another pandemic he should be safe.

I don't think he's changed as a person. But he certainly seems more invested in his team.

:lol: yea okay…
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,290

Post#48 » by xdrta+ » Sun May 12, 2024 7:10 pm

Forbes wrote:The media would blow up everything that came out of Kyrie’s mouth.

They didn't need to blow anything up. Kyrie had already done all the media's work for them. Just quoting him was enough.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,974

Post#49 » by cdubbz » Sun May 12, 2024 7:11 pm

kenwood3333 wrote:When he keeps his opinions to himself and talk in normal human languages, he is a likeable player.

:crazy: Ridiculous statement.

People are allowed to speak their opinions. What opinions of his hurt your feelings? And what do you even mean by talking in 'normal human language?'
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Forbes
Analyst
And1: 2,745

Post#50 » by Forbes » Sun May 12, 2024 8:01 pm

xdrta+ wrote:

They didn't need to blow anything up. Kyrie had already done all the media's work for them. Just quoting him was enough.

I get what you’re saying but the difference is, back then the media was leading him with questions. Whereas in Dallas the media allowed in aren’t trying to bait him into saying something that will be bad press
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,344

Post#51 » by shrink » Sun May 12, 2024 8:04 pm

cdubbz wrote:
kenwood3333 wrote:When he keeps his opinions to himself and talk in normal human languages, he is a likeable player.

:crazy: Ridiculous statement.

People are allowed to speak their opinions. What opinions of his hurt your feelings? And what do you even mean by talking in 'normal human language?'

People ARE allowed to speak their opinions. But listeners are also allowed to not like them too.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,171

Post#52 » by HMFFL » Sun May 12, 2024 8:04 pm

Kyrie has been fine in Dallas but it can always change. We'll see what he decides to do this off-season.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,672

Post#53 » by Doctor MJ » Sun May 12, 2024 8:07 pm

ScrantonBulls wrote:I find myself liking Kyrie lately. He seems like a great teammate, he's respectful to his opponents, he's respectful to reporters and gives well articulated answers. He's always got a smile on his face. Maybe he's always been like this but all the dumb stuff he did overshadowed it.

Tldr; Kyrie seems like a very likeable dude.

You don't remember when he said he didn't talk to "pawns" when responding to a reporter?

To answer your question: He's helped his image definitely by being on better behavior, and he's clearly chosen to "play nice" since coming to Dallas.

Reasonable to ask whether this is about Kyrie growing up, or if it's just something he can do until his mood changes. Hopefully the former.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
SA37
RealGM
And1: 7,274

Post#54 » by SA37 » Sun May 12, 2024 8:14 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:I find myself liking Kyrie lately. He seems like a great teammate, he's respectful to his opponents, he's respectful to reporters and gives well articulated answers. He's always got a smile on his face. Maybe he's always been like this but all the dumb stuff he did overshadowed it.

Tldr; Kyrie seems like a very likeable dude.

You don't remember when he said he didn't talk to "pawns" when responding to a reporter?

To answer your question: He's helped his image definitely by being on better behavior, and he's clearly chosen to "play nice" since coming to Dallas.

Reasonable to ask whether this is about Kyrie growing up, or if it's just something he can do until his mood changes. Hopefully the former.

Or until he signs that last contract. He'll turn 33 just before he heads into a summer with a player option for $43M for the 25-26 season. I assume he'll opt-out and be looking for one last big payday (unless he gets an extension before that).
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,415

Post#55 » by CobraCommander » Sun May 12, 2024 8:17 pm

If you listen closely to kyrie, you realize he knows more about basketball than damn near anyone on earth.

If you listen to kyrie talk about anything else, you realize his heart is in the right place, but he lacks enough knowledge to defend or substantiate his social, historical or science stances.

But I have never, and neither have you, heard him say anything negative or hateful about any group of people.

Kyrie is hippie first…Native American, African American, (possibly Jewish… who knows considering their are Ethiopian and black Jewish people), weird contrarian. But we have never heard of him getting into a fight, doing drugs, hurting women or animals…. Doing anything violent or even saying something violent- yet he was canceled while Nike kept Ja…

but again people out here that think guys that ask questions and say weird uninformed easily disproven stuff , yet they are begging for and yearning for peace and social justice like Kyrie are the problem, In my opinion, yall are the problem.

Nerdy dudes with weird conspiracy theories can be ignored…. As they should be… canceled ? Needing rehab? Hell naw -

I would rather we working on rehabbing people who actually hurt people or wish evil on innocent- back to basketball- one love RealGM

I went to the future and found brought back this video of Kyrie at age 55.:.: up so his same old ways and still got moves

Oh and he doesn’t hurt your team if you hold him accountable to basketball and not digging wells for poor people in the middle of the season… look it up- he took time off to build a well and a nba team tried to cover it up… wtf kyrie get your tail to work - you can hire someone to dig the well - hippy millionaires … sheesh
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,290

Post#56 » by xdrta+ » Sun May 12, 2024 8:25 pm

Forbes wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

I get what you’re saying but the difference is, back then the media was leading him with questions. Whereas in Dallas the media allowed in aren’t trying to bait him into saying something that will be bad press

Well, nobody was leading him with questions when he went on a podcast in 2017 and said the earth is flat:

“This is not even a conspiracy theory. The Earth is flat. The Earth is flat,” Irving said. “I’m telling you, it’s right in front of our faces. They lie to us. They lie to us. The truth is right there; you just got to go searching for it. There is no concrete information except for the information that they’re giving us.” He later repeated those beliefs in an interview with ESPN. Of course the media would ask questions after saying something like that.

To be fair, he later said he didn't realize what an effect those statements would cause and went on to say, "Even if you believe in that, don't come out and say that stuff. That's for intimate conversations because perception and how you're received, it changes."

It seems like he's taken his own advice these days and kept "that stuff" for "intimate conversations."
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,198

Post#57 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Sun May 12, 2024 8:26 pm

him accepting the second fiddle to Luka has done that for me.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
danvato
Rookie
And1: 1,104

Post#58 » by danvato » Sun May 12, 2024 8:27 pm

cdubbz wrote:This situation is a PERFECT EXAMPLE of why a lot of people dislike the media and have negative feelings towards the media. The media can push and control narratives to the public. If you ever disliked Kyrie over the past few years just ask yourself why?

Ehh, because he willingly chose not to do what everyone else did in order to play basketball for a title favorite team resulting in complete destruction of that team.

There is a long list actually. Maybe you didn't pay attention to him, but he isn't done media creation.

Good for him for staying out of his own way, let's see how long that lasts.
danvato
Rookie

Post#59 » by danvato » Sun May 12, 2024 8:31 pm

zero rings wrote:It's funny how everyone who interacts with him on a day-to-day basis seems to like him. Almost all of his detractors are people who work in the media or people who sit around consuming it like mindless drones.

Kyrie was vilified for being, at worst, a harmless contrarian.

Or fans of teams he's been on. You know, people that have zero context.

He's been well behaved for 1 season, the season isn't over yet.

But props for staying out of the news, there are plenty of topics ripe for standard Kyrie commentary.
danvato
Rookie

Post#60 » by danvato » Sun May 12, 2024 8:31 pm

zero rings wrote:It's funny how everyone who interacts with him on a day-to-day basis seems to like him. Almost all of his detractors are people who work in the media or people who sit around consuming it like mindless drones.

Kyrie was vilified for being, at worst, a harmless contrarian.

Or fans of teams he's been on. You know, people that have zero context.

He's been well behaved for 1 season, the season isn't over yet.

But props for staying out of the news, there are plenty of topics ripe for standard Kyrie commentary.

Return to The General Board