OT: How Often Do You Play?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

chrismikayla
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,942

Re: OT: How Often Do You Play? 

Post#41 » by chrismikayla » Mon May 6, 2024 2:26 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:super happy for the OP that he lost the weight and his knees are holding up. I'm 6'3" 190 and basically the same age but my knees will no longer allow me to play full court. Well I can, but then I'd pay for it for a week or more. I'm now just half court, set shot, block out guy. About as ground bound as it gets.

So kudos to you OP for having the knees and the commitment to still go. I remember in my 20's I played in a regular pick up game with several men in their 50's who still moved pretty well and hoped that would be me, but definitely not...

Sometimes the 3/3 half court games are more fun. It’s hard to explain but it’s better basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
[gfycat][/gfycat]
chrismikayla
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,942

Post#42 » by chrismikayla » Mon May 6, 2024 2:27 pm

GoBobs wrote:I play about 1-2 times per weak and then go through some periods where I don't play as much, but I always do some exercise at least 4-5 days per week.

On the basketball court my natural role is that of a bruiser post rebounder but I don't play that way in pickup because it isn't that fun and I am trying not to get hurt. I am 46 years old 6'3'', with long wingspan (I can almost touch the bottom of the net without jumping) and probably 210-220. I try to play a style that is fun and reduces my chances of getting hurt. I am out there shooting jumpers, trying to make fun passes, jumping off two feet only, with a plan to land on two feet.

I would play more if there was a better gym in my area. All we have is a ymca with a trash court that is only open a couple nights per week.

Yeah I try to limit my time in the paint, because that’s where injuries happen

[gfycat][/gfycat]
AbeVigodaLive
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,600

Post#43 » by AbeVigodaLive » Mon May 6, 2024 2:55 pm

Sadly... down to once per week. Too many other priorities...

And coaching gets in the way sometimes.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,355

Post#44 » by lambchop » Mon May 6, 2024 3:45 pm

In my mid 30s now I play 6-7 days a week. Sometimes I'll do two a days where I'll do some shooting or ball handling work before work and then head to team practice in the evening. I'm generally pain free when playing, imo hitting the gym 2-3 times a week for about 15 years straight has helped.

That said, if I go full tilt today attacking the rim, getting blocks, defending full court etc., I'll probably be settling for jumpers tomorrow hahaha. That has been the biggest change for me.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
Gus McCrae
General Manager
And1: 2,010

Post#45 » by Gus McCrae » Tue May 7, 2024 3:11 am

chrismikayla wrote:
Gus McCrae wrote:Early 40’s, I play 2-3 days/week.
Have a 5:30AM group on Wednesdays and a 6pm group on Thursdays.

Saturday has a 7:30AM group but I can only make that about half the time.

Always a good time.

That’s great. I’d have to get up and start stretching at 330 in order to play a 530 AM game lol

First game is always very ugly lol
FrobeBryant
Senior
And1: 813

Post#46 » by FrobeBryant » Tue May 7, 2024 3:19 am

I play once a week outdoor but that’s only cause they shut the bball courts down at my gym. Outdoor ball just isn’t the same as indoor.

Return to The General Board