Who is going to replace Kawhi Leonard on team USA?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Who's it?

Poll ended at Wed May 8, 2024 5:47 am

Paul George
20%
Paolo Banchero
25%
Mikal Bridges
11%
Jalen Brunson
28%
Other (mention in reply)
16%

Total votes: 92

Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,787

Re: Who is going to replace Kawhi Leonard on team USA? 

Post#41 » by Harry Garris » Wed May 1, 2024 3:25 pm

SA37 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:Yall should probably look to add a big since I doubt Embiid is gonna play either and we all know AD might bump into a door to knock him outta the Olympics too lol.

This.

Jarret Allen, Bobby Portis, Myles Turner, and Evan Mobley would seem to be the obvious candidates. I'd probably go with Turner.

Myles Turner is a great choice, gives you spacing and rim protection. He can't really defend in space but the team USA wings are big and athletic enough where you shouldn't be asking that from your big man anyway.
wegotthabeet
Analyst
And1: 2,010

Post#42 » by wegotthabeet » Wed May 1, 2024 3:36 pm

Hope these guys flop hard at the Olympics. Horrible roster construction motivated by hubris.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,116

Post#43 » by Wingy » Wed May 1, 2024 4:28 pm

Anticon wrote:Maxey I think. I don't think Barnes is the right guy yet and they're staying away from the world cup players. I can see them not viewing Brunson as a good fit.

Which is dumb. We have plenty of international experience, so it’s not a big weakness. But potentially penalizing guys like Brunson and Bridges for the team’s World Cup performance doesn’t make sense to me. They now know the rules and how the game is played, what to expect. They would be much better prepared for a 2nd time around. I like a guy like Jalen Williams, but now you’re introducing a ‘rookie’ to top level FIBA play. Do that in the Worlds when our country cares a lot less (even though it shouldn’t, but only your hoops die hards will ever understand that).

I like Brunson the player a lot, but don’t like him for USA though, so agree with you. He does so much for his team, and that just can’t be his role on a team full of stars.
Wingy
RealGM

Post#44 » by Wingy » Wed May 1, 2024 4:37 pm

wegotthabeet wrote:Hope these guys flop hard at the Olympics. Horrible roster construction motivated by hubris.

Ugh. I can’t root against them like that, but can’t lie and say there’s not a piece of me that doesn’t share at least some of your sentiments. Just slapping together all star teams has been dumb (and apparently so) for a long time…yet we keep doing it time and time again even when the program leaders change…still the same old formula.
CIN-C-STAR
General Manager
And1: 16,596

Post#45 » by CIN-C-STAR » Wed May 1, 2024 4:42 pm

Chet
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,282

Post#46 » by UcanUwill » Wed May 1, 2024 4:50 pm

Wingy wrote:
wegotthabeet wrote:Hope these guys flop hard at the Olympics. Horrible roster construction motivated by hubris.

Ugh. I can’t root against them like that, but can’t lie and say there’s not a piece of me that doesn’t share at least some of your sentiments. Just slapping together all star teams has been dumb (and apparently so) for a long time…yet we keep doing it time and time again even when the program leaders change…still the same old formula.

To be honest, when biggest names showed up, USA did win every time since 2006. It is the teams of Josh Harts, Mikal Brigeses etc. that failed twice back to back now, in world cup at least.
rand
Veteran
And1: 3,191

Post#47 » by rand » Wed May 1, 2024 5:14 pm

I'd go with Josh Hart. High quality jack-of-all-trades who won't mind being limited to spot minutes.
Wingy
RealGM

Post#48 » by Wingy » Wed May 1, 2024 5:17 pm

UcanUwill wrote:To be honest, when biggest names showed up, USA did win every time since 2006. It is the teams of Josh Harts, Mikal Brigeses etc. that failed twice back to back now, in world cup at least.

Yeah, but we need to adapt, and we’ll see if the biggest names continues to work. It’s not like Hart and Bridges were meant to be the main guys either.

You know as well as anyone that the world just keeps getting better. The big names are old and no longer the top tier guys as seen by Steph (not even in), Lebron/AD and KD ousted early. There is no heir apparent, elite group of next generation US players to take their place, at least not yet. We’ll see in two years how far guys like Ant, Chet, even Tatum have come.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,540

Post#49 » by bisme37 » Wed May 1, 2024 5:19 pm

Derrick White obviously.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,635

Post#50 » by Tor_Raps » Wed May 1, 2024 5:22 pm

Harry Garris wrote:
SA37 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:Yall should probably look to add a big since I doubt Embiid is gonna play either and we all know AD might bump into a door to knock him outta the Olympics too lol.

This.

Jarret Allen, Bobby Portis, Myles Turner, and Evan Mobley would seem to be the obvious candidates. I'd probably go with Turner.

Myles Turner is a great choice, gives you spacing and rim protection. He can't really defend in space but the team USA wings are big and athletic enough where you shouldn't be asking that from your big man anyway.

I think Chet should be the top option as someone who you expect to be on the team for the longhaul while being good enough to contribute a bit now too.
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,347

Post#51 » by ShootersShoot » Wed May 1, 2024 5:27 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:I want Team USA to dominate, so a guy like Scottie Barnes is the answer here. He has length, defensive chops, play making chops, finishing, and toughness.

If they can't get a vet wing such as Paul George, Scottie would be an awesome candidate.
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 4,228

Post#52 » by theFireBlanket » Wed May 1, 2024 5:29 pm

PatBev.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,347

Post#53 » by ShootersShoot » Wed May 1, 2024 5:30 pm

Wingy wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:To be honest, when biggest names showed up, USA did win every time since 2006. It is the teams of Josh Harts, Mikal Brigeses etc. that failed twice back to back now, in world cup at least.

Yeah, but we need to adapt, and we’ll see if the biggest names continues to work. It’s not like Hart and Bridges were meant to be the main guys either.

You know as well as anyone that the world just keeps getting better. The big names are old and no longer the top tier guys as seen by Steph (not even in), Lebron/AD and KD ousted early. There is no heir apparent, elite group of next generation US players to take their place, at least not yet. We’ll see in two years how far guys like Ant, Chet, even Tatum have come.

Bridges was a main piece of the world cup team..he started all the games and was second on the team in minutes per game..
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,144

Post#54 » by The Real Dalic » Wed May 1, 2024 6:05 pm

It would be great to see Paolo win a Gold Medal as a Magic fan. But I would go with Bridges to complete the team more. You need great role players like him to win games. The guys that will defend, spot up, and do the little things.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,506

Post#55 » by Black Jack » Wed May 1, 2024 6:07 pm

NZB2323 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:Kyrie.....is there any other name ?

Maybe someone who didn’t promote antisemitism?

he didn't though.
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
TimDunkin
Freshman
And1: 142

Post#56 » by TimDunkin » Wed May 1, 2024 6:21 pm

Real lack of perimeter defense on the team and no need for another "superstar." I'd replace Kawhi with any of JDub, Chet, Aaron Gordon, Draymond, Caruso, Herb Jones, or Derrick White. If Embiid backs out, then I think they have to go with Chet, Isaac, JAllen, or Hartenstein - but they probably go with Myles Turner.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 8,133

Post#57 » by NZB2323 » Wed May 1, 2024 7:43 pm

Black Jack wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:Kyrie.....is there any other name ?

he didn't though.

He promoted a movie that said the Holocaust was a lie, that Jewish people were responsible for slavery, and that Jews are impostors and black people are the real people of God.

How does the creator of the film know this? It came to him in a vision.

I’m glad to see that Kyrie is doing better now, both on and off the court, but there are other people who will be picked to represent the United States of America.
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,506

Post#58 » by Black Jack » Wed May 1, 2024 8:38 pm

NZB2323 wrote:
Black Jack wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:

he didn't though.

He promoted a movie that said the Holocaust was a lie, that Jewish people were responsible for slavery, and that Jews are impostors and black people are the real people of God.

How does the creator of the film know this? It came to him in a vision.

I’m glad to see that Kyrie is doing better now, both on and off the court, but there are other people who will be picked to represent the United States of America.

he most likely didn't even watch the movie, he was just caught up by some stupid theory that we are the "real hebrews". which is stupid.

and he didn't say anything he literally just put up a screenshot. people were literally trying to lobby to end his nba career. absurdly touchy.

I agree the movie is silly/racist.
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
SFrush
Sixth Man
And1: 784

Post#59 » by SFrush » Wed May 1, 2024 8:51 pm

Evan Mobley would be my pick but they'll probably go with Mikal Bridges.
LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 1,114

Post#60 » by LaLover11 » Wed May 1, 2024 9:05 pm

D Lo :)
Bronny will become Murray 2.0

Return to The General Board