Magic of Nico - look at the bright side

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 4,228

Re: Magic of Nico - look at the bright side 

Post#41 » by theFireBlanket » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:49 pm

DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
Godymas
Veteran
And1: 2,443

Post#42 » by Godymas » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:21 pm

just let the guys here get their foolish takes off, they'll be shocked when the 8 seed Mavs ends up taking on a 1 seeded Minny/OKC and winning in the first round
wegotthabeet
Analyst
And1: 2,004

Post#43 » by wegotthabeet » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:23 pm

dygaction wrote:
Johnny Firpo wrote:
dygaction wrote:Also 2x FRP

Can we put together 2? Because we have some outgoing thing, so I'm not sure we can trade this year's OKC pick.

I believe there are two for trade, at least that is what I get from everywhere else.

Yes this is actually an excellent point.

They’ll be able to move the 2025 & 2031 picks this summer for more help.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 10,025

Post#44 » by HotelVitale » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:40 pm

dygaction wrote:On June 22, 2023, the Dallas Mavericks traded their 10th pick and Davis Bertans to the Oklahoma City Thunder for the 12th pick in the 2023 NBA Draft. The Mavericks selected Duke's Dereck Lively II with the 12th pick, while the Thunder selected Kentucky guard Cason Wallace. The Thunder also sent a $17 million trade exception to the Mavericks.

Initial: 10th pick along

1st step - 10th pick to Lively and $17 trade exception

The Mavs completed a trade using the $17M trade exception with the Kings to acquire Richaun Holmes and the draft rights to Olivier-Maxence Prosper, who was selected using the 24th pick.

2st step - Lively and $17 trade exception to Richaun Holmes and Olivier Maxence Prosper

The Mavericks say they have agreed to swap their own 2028 first-round pick with Oklahoma City’s own 2028 first-round pick in order to obtain a 2024 first-round pick from the Thunder. That pick will be sent to Washington to complete the Richaun Holmes-for-Daniel Gafford trade.

3rd step - Lively and Olivier Maxence Prosper + Holmes for Daniel Gafford + 2028 first round pick swap

Ladies and gentlemen, Nico turned that "2023 10th pick + 2028 pick swap" to a priceless 19 year old starting center in Lively II + a solid, young backup center in Gafford to complete the center rotation + a promising, long, athletics OMax. He really did not have much to operate so I would say he did more than great.

Now regardless whatever it takes to get PJ Washington, the team is long, athletic, deep, and young, albeit injury prone, I am talking about Kyrie, Exum, Maxi, and somewhat Green, Lively II, Luka :oops:

Can't tell if you're dong this tongue in cheek and I'm not trying to knock the Mavs or their FO, but this is just cherrypicking the only two transactions that have looked kind of good for their front court recently. And then you wrote about them in a kind of ridiculous way.

First saying 'he didn't have much to work with' with a top-10 pick in a solid draft. Lively's been a nice pick given their needs, but he was also a lotto pick that would've had significant trade value--that was a major asset to work with. Why not take the approach of 'it's been rough sailing with the Mavs' frontcourt but recent moves look like they're working,' and start off by saying 'they finally nailed their own pick' and just give reasonable/proper credit there?

Second, it seems like a pretty good bit of business to get that OKC pick for a future swap, but that could easily bite them...and it also means they also gave up a first for Gafford. I don't have any deep issues with that, though, and the more annoying thing there is why you're isolating PJ Washington transactions--or the Grant Williams one this summer (or even Porzingis)--since they also just happened and also involved draft picks. We all know the mavs have had a shaky enough history with role player moves, no need to ignore that while giving some credit for some recent movs that look pretty good.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,735

Post#45 » by dygaction » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:08 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
dygaction wrote:On June 22, 2023, the Dallas Mavericks traded their 10th pick and Davis Bertans to the Oklahoma City Thunder for the 12th pick in the 2023 NBA Draft. The Mavericks selected Duke's Dereck Lively II with the 12th pick, while the Thunder selected Kentucky guard Cason Wallace. The Thunder also sent a $17 million trade exception to the Mavericks.

The Mavs completed a trade using the $17M trade exception with the Kings to acquire Richaun Holmes and the draft rights to Olivier-Maxence Prosper, who was selected using the 24th pick.

2st step - Lively and $17 trade exception to Richaun Holmes and Olivier Maxence Prosper

The Mavericks say they have agreed to swap their own 2028 first-round pick with Oklahoma City’s own 2028 first-round pick in order to obtain a 2024 first-round pick from the Thunder. That pick will be sent to Washington to complete the Richaun Holmes-for-Daniel Gafford trade.

3rd step - Lively and Olivier Maxence Prosper + Holmes for Daniel Gafford + 2028 first round pick swap

Ladies and gentlemen, Nico turned that "2023 10th pick + 2028 pick swap" to a priceless 19 year old starting center in Lively II + a solid, young backup center in Gafford to complete the center rotation + a promising, long, athletics OMax. He really did not have much to operate so I would say he did more than great.

Now regardless whatever it takes to get PJ Washington, the team is long, athletic, deep, and young, albeit injury prone, I am talking about Kyrie, Exum, Maxi, and somewhat Green, Lively II, Luka :oops:

Can't tell if you're dong this tongue in cheek and I'm not trying to knock the Mavs or their FO, but this is just cherrypicking the only two transactions that have looked kind of good for their front court recently. And then you wrote about them in a kind of ridiculous way.

First saying 'he didn't have much to work with' with a top-10 pick in a solid draft. Lively's been a nice pick given their needs, but he was also a lotto pick that would've had significant trade value--that was a major asset to work with. Why not take the approach of 'it's been rough sailing with the Mavs' frontcourt but recent moves look like they're working,' and start off by saying 'they finally nailed their own pick' and just give reasonable/proper credit there?

Second, it seems like a pretty good bit of business to get that OKC pick for a future swap, but that could easily bite them...and it also means they also gave up a first for Gafford. I don't have any deep issues with that, though, and the more annoying thing there is why you're isolating PJ Washington transactions--or the Grant Williams one this summer (or even Porzingis)--since they also just happened and also involved draft picks. We all know the mavs have had a shaky enough history with role player moves, no need to ignore that while giving some credit for some recent movs that look pretty good.

From 22 Summer to trade deadline today:

Kept: Luka/Josh Green/Hardway Jr./Dwight Powell (now league min)/Maxi Kleber

————-KYRIE IRVING
Javal McGee 36 ---------Lively II 19
Christian Wood 27------Gafford 25
Dinwiddie 30 ------------Exum 28
Dorian Finny Smith 30--PJ Washington 25
Bullock 32----------------Derrick Jones Jr. 26
Bertans 31 ---------------OMax

If Maxi is healthy, Mavs are now young, deep, long, athletic, and no bad contract.

Things were completely opposite in the summer of 2022. That’s magic turn around.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,177

Post#46 » by Mr B » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:43 pm

Exp0sed wrote:
Michaellam1987 wrote:DAL actually have quite strong 10 man rotation. Luka/Kyrie/Green/PJ/Lively and Exum/THJ/DJJ/Maxi/Gafford, with Hardy/Powell as insurance.

Gafford should (and imo will) start over Lively soon enough
yeah, they're looking good to me. darkhorse contender.

I could see that happening simply because Lively is only 19 years old. Gafford has had a couple of years in the league so in that sense he’s ahead of Lively. By this time next season though Lively should be the long term answer at starting center. He’s has more in his bag than Gafford, he just needs to refine it. Either way though it’s a great problem for the Mavs to have.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#47 » by Mr B » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:45 pm

timO wrote:sheit thats a compliment?

Thunder now has Cason wallace and the swap of mavs 2028, whick Luka out bored of losing in first round or not making playoffs, will be another good top 10 pick, probably top 4.

The Mavs haven’t been making the playoffs or are always losing in the 1st round? Are you sure you watch the NBA? There’s a better chance that the Mavs win 50 games the next several years and that pick ends up being in the mid-late 20’s if not lower.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#48 » by Mr B » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:56 pm

dygaction wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

From 22 Summer to trade deadline today:

Kept: Luka/Josh Green/Hardway Jr./Dwight Powell (now league min)/Maxi Kleber

————-KYRIE IRVING
Javal McGee 36 ---------Lively II 19
Christian Wood 27------Gafford 25
Dinwiddie 30 ------------Exum 28
Dorian Finny Smith 30--PJ Washington 25
Bullock 32----------------Derrick Jones Jr. 26
Bertans 31 ---------------OMax

If Maxi is healthy, Mavs are now young, deep, long, athletic, and no bad contract.

Things were completely opposite in the summer of 2022. That’s magic turn around.

People here are looking at what they had to pay to get Grant Williams and then what they had to give up to trade him. No don’t that was bad. They are disregarding the results though. Kind of reminds me of when the Mavs acquired Tyson Chandler (while already having Brendan Haywood) and people wrote it off. I personally know people that even called that a bad trade at the time. Luka is too good for his team to be 1 and done year after year. If these guys they traded for play half as good as they did in their first game then the Mavs should be able to win 50 games a season over the next few years.
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 6,141

Post#49 » by Exp0sed » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:42 am

Mr B wrote:
Exp0sed wrote:
Michaellam1987 wrote:DAL actually have quite strong 10 man rotation. Luka/Kyrie/Green/PJ/Lively and Exum/THJ/DJJ/Maxi/Gafford, with Hardy/Powell as insurance.

Gafford should (and imo will) start over Lively soon enough
yeah, they're looking good to me. darkhorse contender.

I could see that happening simply because Lively is only 19 years old. Gafford has had a couple of years in the league so in that sense he’s ahead of Lively. By this time next season though Lively should be the long term answer at starting center. He’s has more in his bag than Gafford, he just needs to refine it. Either way though it’s a great problem for the Mavs to have.

we're in agreement :)

Lively is a 19 year old rookie, we all see he's a great prospect and he's had a great start to his career (when he was healthy) but he's still a rookie and you guys have championship aspirations

playing a vet makes alot more sense so does having Lively beat up 2nd units
next season is next season and obviously if Gafford isn't playing up to par you can always change back this season as well, but I think it makes sense off the court too, Gafford will probably be more motivated as a starter, backing up a 19 year old rookie can't be a great feeling, while Lively will accept his demotion alot more easily, being a 19 year old rookie

I expect it to just naturally happen, makes too much sense for all involved imo
that should be the default and take it from there
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#50 » by dygaction » Sun May 19, 2024 4:22 am

PG: Luka / Green / (Exum)
SG: Kyrie / Hardaway / Hardy
SF: Exum / Jones Jr.
PF: PJ Washington / Maxi Kleber
C: Lively II / Gafford / Powell

Can we say Nico owned Presti big in the past year?
Lively and Gafford are gifted by Presti that lead to Mavs victory over OKC. There is one more OMax waiting to be developed.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#51 » by dygaction » Sun May 19, 2024 4:29 am

timO wrote:sheit thats a compliment?

Thunder now has Cason wallace and the swap of mavs 2028, whick Luka out bored of losing in first round or not making playoffs, will be another good top 10 pick, probably top 4.

Cason Wallace is nice, but I am taking Lively if do it again - 12p/15r/3a/1s/1b in 29 min with 83.3FG% and +26 in a closing OKC out.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 387

Post#52 » by WentzerWuver » Sun May 19, 2024 4:50 am

Mavrelous wrote:Nico had the full MLE to throw at Grant (which in itself was an overpay), he instead did a S&T and sent 2030 swap to the Spurs for 2 2nd rd picks to pull of the deal.
Nico has done some extremely stupid moves, KP deal was horrible, Kyrie deal he should've insisted on keeping DFS.
Mavs have missed the PO with a top 5 player, that alone should've gotten the coach fired, instead we're stuck with the clown Kidd.
Nico is an idiot imo. PJ is a very streaky shooter not worth a top 2 protected pick plus Seth, even just to dump Grant, who was a knock down parameter sharpshooter before playing with Luka, who has an issue playing with many players. He actually wanted KP and Brunson gone cause they were taken his spotlight in Dallas. Only Kyrie was willing to be his Robin. I gave this Mavs trade an F grade based on the players and picks involved.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/mavericks-hornets-trade-pj-washington-grant-williams-grades

https://youtu.be/HuDPEQ60oVc?si=yJPO468aReO7yEHi

This is why GW is much better than PJ!
https://youtu.be/HtXxaCn7jrw?si=UA4F_GUR-d0604mx

Return to The General Board