2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL WINS 4-2)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who wins and goes to the WCFs?

Thunder in 4
4%
Thunder in 5
9%
Thunder in 6
21%
Thunder in 7
12%
Mavericks in 4
1%
Mavericks in 5
4%
Mavericks in 6
39%
Mavericks in 7
10%

Total votes: 326

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,167

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL leads 2-1) 

Post#2941 » by Mr B » Sun May 12, 2024 2:53 pm

One Last Shot wrote:
Mr B wrote:I knew the game was over once OKC started fouling Lively. To me it seemed as if they had quit at that point. Other teams were struggling offensively at that point and the game was within reach for OKC. Then Lively started hitting his free throws and that was it. It came across as the coach was throwing in the towel.

What? They stop hacking Lively with 3 minutes left. It's still a one posession game under a minute left until Kyrie hit a clutch bucket then SGA on the other end tried to draw a foul just mindlesslyt driving to the basket and got an offensive foul instead that basically ended the game with his turnover.

It was pretty clear that OKC resorted to hacking because they couldn’t get stops. That was a last resort for them. The only reason they didn’t keep doing it is because sure there’s a rule that they can’t within 2 min. Either way their last ditch effort didn’t work.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,600

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL leads 2-1) 

Post#2942 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sun May 12, 2024 2:53 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Tell me honestly, how many fouls would have Dort got, if he was that physically guarding Shai? Dort is holding Luka with both hands constantly. What Dort is doing is not D, it's foul in every possession, many times multiple fouls. He shouldn't last more than a half. The difference in D on Luka and Shai is enormous, there's 10x more contact on Luka. Luka avg. 7 FTs in the series and Shai 9. It doesn't matter that Luka is 230 and can absorb fouls easier, Dort is playing wrestling not basketball D. On the other hand DJJ and others is getting called for every contact on Shai, I would say that Luka's frustration is understandable.

You and I are both biased, I don’t think the more objective folks see it like this at all.

Sure call it bias. Most objective folks would call it playing outside linebacker in the wrong sport. With more flopping than a Michael Scott improv class.

Shouldn’t be hard to post some proof of that then.

I’d say Luka kicking Dort is more egregious than the defense Dort has been playing, and nothing got called there.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,709

Post#2943 » by Bob8 » Sun May 12, 2024 3:00 pm

[instagram][/instagram]
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
You and I are both biased, I don’t think the more objective folks see it like this at all.

Sure call it bias. Most objective folks would call it playing outside linebacker in the wrong sport. With more flopping than a Michael Scott improv class.

I’d say Luka kicking Dort is more egregious than the defense Dort has been playing, and nothing got called there.

So you don't want to talk about Dort constant extremely aggressive D, holding him, using both hands...in every possession? But about 1 instinctive soft kick that didn't even hit the target? Or maybe you're saying that Luka is playing aggressive D like Dort?
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,203

Post#2944 » by sunsbg » Sun May 12, 2024 3:02 pm

Bob8 wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:Sure call it bias. Most objective folks would call it playing outside linebacker in the wrong sport. With more flopping than a Michael Scott improv class.

So you don't want to talk about Dort constant extremely aggressive D, holding him, using both hands...in every possession? But about 1 instinctive soft kick that didn't even hit the target?

Sounds like 90s D.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#2945 » by Bob8 » Sun May 12, 2024 3:05 pm

sunsbg wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

So you don't want to talk about Dort constant extremely aggressive D, holding him, using both hands...in every possession? But about 1 instinctive soft kick that didn't even hit the target?

Sounds like 90s D.

Sure. Have you feeling that Mavs are playing 90s D on Shai? Him averaging 9.7 Fts in the series. If Dort is allowed playing 90s D, why the same D is not allowed on Shai? What Dort is doing is something totally else than anyone else is allowed to do.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,120

Post#2946 » by ChipotleWest » Sun May 12, 2024 3:06 pm

Kyrie deserves a ton of credit after Lively was running from Chet he talked to him saying you don't got to do that just make your free throws we believe in you, then Lively made all of his free throws after that. This guy is a leader.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,203

Post#2947 » by sunsbg » Sun May 12, 2024 3:13 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Sure. Have you feeling that Mavs are playing 90-th D on Shai? Him averaging 9.7 Fts in the series. If Dort is allowed playing 90s D, why the same D is not allowed on Shai?

There is a chance refs have bias against Luka for all his complaining and favor a smaller guy in Shai.
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,626

Post#2948 » by rockmanslim » Sun May 12, 2024 3:13 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
rockmanslim wrote:Luka questionable for next game. If they were down 1-2, he'd obviously have to play, but since they're up 2-1, should they rest him? Interesting dilemma.

He's been questionable every game, he said if he can walk he'll play.

If Dallas wins game 4 historically the chance of winning the series is 95% by being up 3-1, if they lose it's 48%. It's still a very important game you also don't want to just give OKC homecourt advantage back.

Let's say he's at 60% now.

If you play him, he stays at 60% or maybe worse.

If you rest him, you're obviously conceding the game, but suppose his health level gets up to 80%.

Would you concede a game to up his health level from 60% to 80%?
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#2949 » by ChipotleWest » Sun May 12, 2024 3:17 pm

rockmanslim wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
rockmanslim wrote:Luka questionable for next game. If they were down 1-2, he'd obviously have to play, but since they're up 2-1, should they rest him? Interesting dilemma.

If Dallas wins game 4 historically the chance of winning the series is 95% by being up 3-1, if they lose it's 48%. It's still a very important game you also don't want to just give OKC homecourt advantage back.

If you rest him, you're obviously conceding the game, but suppose his health level gets up to 80%.

He needs about a month off to get better, not 2 extra days. Sprain knee takes 6 weeks or more to heal.

It really doesn't matter what our opinions are anyway, he said if he can walk he plays and I believe him regardless of what percentage he's at. He's just going to play.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#2950 » by Bob8 » Sun May 12, 2024 3:18 pm

sunsbg wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Sure. Have you feeling that Mavs are playing 90-th D on Shai? Him averaging 9.7 Fts in the series. If Dort is allowed playing 90s D, why the same D is not allowed on Shai?

There is a chance refs have bias against Luka for all his complaining and favor a smaller guy in Shai.

No. I believe it's really easy, Dort is doing so many fouls, that they just can't whistle everything and if you don't whistle those early fouls in every possession, it's difficult to whistle those that follow because, he's doing the same thing all the time. The whole Dort D is one constant fouling.

Shai is defended pretty clean without much contact, so when they see a little contact it's a foul immediately. To be honest Mavs don't have any defender like Dort, who could be physical on him.
MFT5
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#2951 » by MFT5 » Sun May 12, 2024 3:23 pm

rockmanslim wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

this isn’t 2k lol that’s not how health works lol
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,096

Post#2952 » by Mavrelous » Sun May 12, 2024 3:29 pm

I'm still LOLing at Chet zombie-chasing Lively to foul him...
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
rockmanslim
General Manager

Post#2953 » by rockmanslim » Sun May 12, 2024 3:30 pm

MFT5 wrote:
rockmanslim wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

so if it takes 6 weeks to heal from, say, 60% to 100%, that's about 40 days, which is 1% per day.

so with two extra days off, that'd be 4 days of rest, so he'd go from 60% to 64%. yeah probably not worth conceding a game my bad :lol:

edit: oh snap I just realized that wiretap headline is for game 3. never mind! why tf is it the top headline then?
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

MFT5
Sophomore

Post#2954 » by MFT5 » Sun May 12, 2024 3:38 pm

rockmanslim wrote:
MFT5 wrote:
rockmanslim wrote:

so if it takes 6 weeks to heal from, say, 60% to 100%, that's about 40 days, which is 1% per day.

so with two extra days off, that'd be 4 days of rest, so he'd go from 60% to 64%. yeah probably not worth conceding a game my bad :lol:

edit: oh snap I just realized that wiretap headline is for game 3. never mind! why tf is it the top headline then?

that’s still not how health works … days off doesn’t equate to being healthier. are yu a child or just naive ??

aches/pains exist until the injury has healed… knee sprains dnt just miraculously fade away. i’m done speaking on this so @ me dnt @ me idc
rockmanslim
General Manager

Post#2955 » by rockmanslim » Sun May 12, 2024 3:41 pm

MFT5 wrote:
rockmanslim wrote:
MFT5 wrote:

that’s still not how health works … days off doesn’t equate to being healthier. are yu a child or just naive ??

aches/pains exist until the injury has healed… knee sprains dnt just miraculously fade away. i’m done speaking on this so @ me dnt @ me idc

Actually that's exactly how injuries heal, by resting. Each day the injury gets gradually better. I may have gotten the healing rate wrong, but that's how it works.
click

MFT5
Sophomore

Post#2956 » by MFT5 » Sun May 12, 2024 3:48 pm

rockmanslim wrote:
MFT5 wrote:
rockmanslim wrote:

Actually that's exactly how injuries heal, by resting. Each day the injury gets gradually better. I may have gotten the healing rate wrong, but that's how it works.

no you’re saying resting will theoretically increase a players theoretical battery 1% or w/e rate yu want to equate health ratio … im telling yu you’re wrong

en your scenario, a 60% players injuries doesn’t just go to 62-65% just bc of rest. yu can not play for a week and still feel the injury as if it just occurred. this isn’t 2k its a real human body.

so yes on the surface rest helps a person get “healthier” but it’s not a exact science that says on day 17 after a injury that player will feel better than the initial injury date. set backs & the bodies ability to achieve homeostasis is regulated by more factors than to just rest
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,934

Post#2957 » by TheSuzerain » Sun May 12, 2024 4:08 pm

Do my eyes deceive me or is Irving a good defender at this point?
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#2958 » by ChipotleWest » Sun May 12, 2024 5:19 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:Do my eyes deceive me or is Irving a good defender at this point?

He said he's gotten in really good shape and is spending more time focusing on the defensive end to help the team, because there's other offensive options.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,813

Post#2959 » by sikma42 » Sun May 12, 2024 5:30 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:Do my eyes deceive me or is Irving a good defender at this point?

He was always a good defender when locked in. Hes just locked ij now, similar to when he won the title in Cleveland

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
MFT5
Sophomore

Post#2960 » by MFT5 » Sun May 12, 2024 5:32 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:

He said he's gotten in really good shape and is spending more time focusing on the defensive end to help the team, because there's other offensive options.

exactly he’s always been capable & always been decent, fabs just see what they want & run w narratives … so when ppl admit 2 certain media biases.. that’s how i knw you dnt have your own opnions, youre just a follower following lol

Return to The General Board