Should the Knicks reconsider giving Anunoby a huge contract this summer?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,967

Re: Should the Knicks reconsider giving Anunoby a huge contract this summer? 

Post#21 » by Anticon » Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 am

Main question is whether his injury frequency and seeming low tolerance to playing through injury is a contract problem.

He may be more willing to play through small pains when he's inked for $160 million.
dkb964
Junior
And1: 213

Post#22 » by dkb964 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:26 am

MrBigShot wrote:He is a good player, elite defender and knock down 3pt shooter, rarely makes mistakes. But if we're talking in the range of ~150 mil over 4 years, he doesn't bring the impact to justify that salary. And his healthy is spotty. They still probably pay it over letting him walk though.

He is getting more than 4 years 150M. That is for sure.
Blazing_royale
General Manager
And1: 2,108

Post#23 » by Blazing_royale » Mon May 13, 2024 12:32 am

OG's don't grow on trees, if they don't someone else will be more than happy to.
Any Pokémon fans out there? Check out my Youtube channel jchucollection
MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,648

Post#24 » by MavsDirk41 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:43 am

No not at all. He is a very talented two way player who will get better.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,331

Post#25 » by DrCoach » Mon May 13, 2024 1:47 am

Knicks like 25-5 when he plays and hes entering prime

What are we talking about here
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,851

Post#26 » by djsunyc » Mon May 13, 2024 1:49 am

og and knicks have alot of agent shenanigans going on. i expect him to stay for a reasonable contract - like 32-35 mil to start.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,934

Post#27 » by giberish » Mon May 13, 2024 2:01 am

djsunyc wrote:og and knicks have alot of agent shenanigans going on. i expect him to stay for a reasonable contract - like 32-35 mil to start.

I definitely think that there were at least rough salary discussions between the Knicks and OG (or his agent) around the trade. I don't really think it was for a bargain deal but it was something the Knicks could live with.

Of course if the Knicks decide that the injuries have lowered his value and offer noticeably less than what was discussed there could be issues.
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,729

Post#28 » by SFour » Mon May 13, 2024 2:08 am

shi-woo wrote:As a TOR fan though you should also be aware how taking the rink that an injury plagued player staying healthy for a run can pay massive dividends.

OG played great for this team when healthy, they need to sign him because they aren't going to have the chance to get anyone even remotely close to his level. Their time is now with Brunson and the gang signed, not bringing him back would just be a slap in the face to this Knicks team and fanbase that has fallen in love with this team. OG is the perfect player for Thibs style of basketball, giving up on him because he can't stay healthy is crazy

This team was over worked this year because of injuries to everyone. Now that the Knicks know what they have, they can plan accordingly next year, giving guys more rest, and have a rotation that isn't going 6-7 deep.

Kawhi didn't even stay healthy during the raptors playoff run, he was limping for 3 straight series....we got lucky he didn't decide to sit out.

Clippers have also taken a risk on Kawhi and we've seen how that's panned out in the last 5 years....nothing but disappointment.
srhcan
Veteran
And1: 1,756

Post#29 » by srhcan » Mon May 13, 2024 2:21 am

dkb964 wrote:As a Raptors fan I have watched the career of Anunoby closely and the man just can not stay healthy. It is not a fluke what is happeneing since he joined the Knicks. It feels like they are in a tough position. One one hand they have been great with him in the lineup but on the other hand history would suggest he will be hurt again next season, and I doubt that changes going forward as he gets older. In a world where Tobias Haris made 40M this season I would have to think that would be the floor amount of money for Anunoby. Should the Knicks really give a massive contract to a great role player who can not stay healthy?

Idiotic post
Mister Ze
RealGM
And1: 23,220

Post#30 » by Mister Ze » Mon May 13, 2024 2:26 am

I wish the Raps kept him at 28-32M/year but $35M+ for an injury prone 3+D player seems like an overpay.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,610

Post#31 » by baldur » Mon May 13, 2024 2:42 am

I don't know how come and why role players are getting maximum contracts.
dkb964
Junior
And1: 213

Post#32 » by dkb964 » Mon May 13, 2024 3:19 am

srhcan wrote:
dkb964 wrote:As a Raptors fan I have watched the career of Anunoby closely and the man just can not stay healthy. It is not a fluke what is happeneing since he joined the Knicks. It feels like they are in a tough position. One one hand they have been great with him in the lineup but on the other hand history would suggest he will be hurt again next season, and I doubt that changes going forward as he gets older. In a world where Tobias Haris made 40M this season I would have to think that would be the floor amount of money for Anunoby. Should the Knicks really give a massive contract to a great role player who can not stay healthy?

Idiotic post

A person with half a brain and common decency would have worded your post differently. Maybe offered some actual insight.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,046

Post#33 » by R-DAWG » Mon May 13, 2024 11:18 am

His contact comps should be Jeremi Grant who signed a 5 year, $160 mm deal entering his age 29 season and Jaden McDaniels who signed a 5-year, $131mm deal entering his age 23 season. OG is in the middle in terms of age (entering his age 27 season) and production - although that is skewed because Grant has been putting up good stats on bad teams the past few years although he hasn’t exactly been durable.

I expect OGs deal to be closer to Grants deal - and NY should try to front load/makw the contract declining. At those numbers, especially if a declining contract, you can always get off the contract. Even with the injuries his combination of size, defensive versatility and shooting are hard to find.

In the new CBA environment, the days of maxing anyone the way Philly did with Tobias Harris are over.
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 6,137

Post#34 » by Exp0sed » Mon May 13, 2024 11:39 am

this seems to me as clear cut as can be, the answer is yes

they gave up a recent top 3 pick in RJ Barret, plus a promising young player in Quickley and a SRP to acqire an expiring OG...
obviously they did that not for a 6 months rental but because they intended to keep him long term and him wanting the max etc. was well known to everyone. yes, he wasn't healthy and hasn't been durable in the past either but his on-court play in the rs and in the playoffs, not to mention his immediate fit with this Knicks roster have all be exceptional. he's already got some serious chemistry with Hart and others and they've been one of the best teams in the NBA with him on the floor

he's not a headcase, a troublemaker or a primadona, he's only 26...there is nothing here to think about.
when they traded for him this is precisely what they envisioned and they knew it was gonna cost them, they will max him. maybe he preferes to go somewhere else, idk about that but as far as the Knicks go it's a no-brainer even if it was just about assets management alone, meaning not losing him for nothing after giving up considerable assets. resign him and obviously u can always trade him down the line, teams will be lining up to trade for prime OG

he's gonna be a Knicks lifer from here on out, that's my bet
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,166

Post#35 » by bstein14 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:44 am

Pistons (and maybe even Sixers) would likely jump at a chance to give him a four year max deal and he knows it.

$42 $45 $48 $51 Total four years $186 million is about what he's going to get. Of course its true he'd perhaps take slightly less to stay in NY but he isn't taking less than a 4 year $175 million deal there is just no chance.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,957

Post#36 » by basketballRob » Mon May 13, 2024 12:17 pm

NY is going to have to pay OG, Hartenstein, and Anchiuwa.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
TravisScott55
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,053

Post#37 » by TravisScott55 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:21 pm

His on court play is says he's worth a max, but dude is always hurt.
Long2_noD
Junior
And1: 448

Post#38 » by Long2_noD » Mon May 13, 2024 12:24 pm

They have a budding superstar on a bargain contract. Yeah, it's only smart to overpay slightly here and there to keep a contending core intact.
Astaluego
Junior
And1: 163

Post#39 » by Astaluego » Mon May 13, 2024 12:34 pm

I would have no doubt in paying him, because someone else will do it, for sure... I also think it is impossible for him to last an entire Playoff healthy with Thybodeau,... I hope I'm wrong but this guy (great coach for sure) will make Hart/Jalen/OG ...don't have long races
Old Mike Lorenzo
Mallie
Sophomore
And1: 266

Post#40 » by Mallie » Mon May 13, 2024 1:18 pm

They should deffo keep him, although I agree that it should be on a rate lower than what's mentioned (35M+ per season).

So what happens is that they'll tie him down instantly if his demands don't get too egregious and look to sling him further down the road if his injury woes persist. Sure won't let him walk away for free after giving up a pick and two young prospects.

I know the new CBA raised the cap and high level starters are getting paid dizzying amounts, so if I were the Knicks - i'd be perfectly fine with paying him anything below 150/5. Doubt that OG would be, though.

Return to The General Board